test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So What Is the Current Verdic For Season 10 Pass or Fail ??

alphaomega1500alphaomega1500 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Federation Discussion
Hi Guy and Gals of STO

I was wondering ??

Does or can't STO's Season 10 live upto the Romulan Expansion. In getting most of the the STO player base that tried the Romulan Expansion Season to say it was very well done ??

Or is the Romulan Expansion to high a bar to reach.

Personal note. I bloody forgot what they call the Season they added the Romulan as a play able character race class.

Post edited by alphaomega1500 on

Comments

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Does or can't STO's Season 10 live upto the Romulan Expansion. In getting most of the the STO player base that tried the Romulan Expansion Season to say it was very well done ??
    Or is the Romulan Expansion to high a bar to reach.

Nope, it certainly doesn't match LOR. However, it is as good or better quality wise, but it is beaten hands down by LOR in terms of sheer quantity. That's to be expected though, given that LOR was a full expansion whereas s10 is just a season update.
    Apples and oranges, really.
    Personal note. I bloody forgot what they call the Season they added the Romulan as a play able character race class.

It's just called "Legacy of Romulus". It never had a "season" number associated with it as it was never intended to be a season release.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really like Sector revamp, but I am really dissapointed by lame/cliche story telling about Iconians/Preserves. I still hope upcoming episodes will have better story telling.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I do like the way they intergrated Season 10 into the tutorial playthrough. If you choose to go through that route of game play.

I wish they would have done something like this for Delta Rising.
  • Options
    boweninugamiboweninugami Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hrm, for me the jury is out. But I'll list some data points of what I noticed.

Sector Space Revamp: So far, I love it. It makes you feel like space is immense, that it's all out there and waiting for you. So that I do love.

Blood of the Ancients: Okay, this was the start of the war, so I can see all hell breaking loose..the Iconian ships are tough but I noticed that once the shields are down, they boom very nicely. I don't like how the good rewards you gotta wait to get, as in next week before you can get the Preserver set. (Side Note: I want those colors for my AP weapons, just saying.)

Delta Flight: Tom Paris, you magnificent TRIBBLE, only you would make a team made up of misfits and rule breakers and pull it off. I had a very A-Team/Dirty Dozen feel when playing that mission. Granted the whole mission was to show off the models of the upcoming Pilot ships. But it did have some good points, to it. The bad points were the rewards were pretty crappy. A console and the ability to turn a BOff into a Pilot BOff. Okay, if you gave us a option of other specs then that'd be good. But so far only one pilot ship, which is a Lockbox ship.

The STFs: The ones I played I found decent. That being Brotherhood and Gre'Thor. Once my teams figured out the timing of the missions then we did it pretty well.

As I said, I'm on the fence. But so far leaning to liking it, granted that could change when the 'New Season' smell ends and you see the grind for what it is.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Do you think they will get to add Roxann Dawson's VO for her Blanna character and have a meeting of the hole Paris clan in Season 10 or byound ??
  • Options
    abqapacheabqapache Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would say yes, that the changing of sector space alone qualifies season 10 expansion as a PASS with then some. :D
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've only played Blood of the Ancients so far, since they were bringing down the shard for the hotfix.

*****THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS******

So far, I think it's an ok season... but it's sad seeing people raging that the seasons too short and "is that it" comments. It's clear from the Delta Rising expansion their content strategy is to release parts of the story to entice you to log in and play more frequently, thus padding their metrics instead of the player base burning through an entire expansions worth of PvE story missions in a day (aka LoR). Tbh, I don't have too much of an issue with it. It makes me think of how things were when we had the weekly FE's like the 2800 arc and having to wait a week to see what the next mission would bring, like waiting for the next episode of TNG to resolve that cliffhanger you were left with.

Sector Space revamp, absolutely epic. Makes space feel BIG and the scale for the Sol system with the asteroid belt and planets looks amazing. Terrific work which in a way makes the season just by itself in my opinion, just need some fresh music for it... would make a world of difference.

The Heralds are an interesting foe, although the ground combat felt like I was playing "Whack a Golem" since that's what they reminded me of (think Shale from DA:Origins with purple glow). Space combat was a little more interesting but those Iconian probes need to be spewing out viral matrix more, I never got hit once by them which would have made things much more interesting. Shame Cryptic couldn't make up some more interesting abilities for them, looks like they just opted for Intelligence abilities like Ionic Turbulence and EMP Probes. The unit that interested me most where the Raiders which ram you and do direct hull damage.. that was cool, made me glad I had a tractor beam on board (installed Tuesday :P) which kept them at arms length.

I did think that Cryptic nuking the preservers from orbit (clearly the Iconians thought it was the only way to be sure) was a massive mistake on Cryptic's part. The Preservers have been a mystery since TOS and the Breen FE arc some four years old now introduced them to the STO universe but since then Cryptic ignored them completely. They created all humanoid life in the Galaxy, so much potential for story lines and even part of an exploration system all gone because Cryptic decided to nuke the archive from orbit and close off that avenue before they'd even properly explored it.

I'm looking forward to playing Delta Flight and even more the missions with Miral Paris... my KDF wants her hair!
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From a purely technical standpoint, I'll say that so far Season 10 is just as crappy as any season/major update since Season 7. And by technical standpoint, I mean ease of getting the patch (pre-patching doesn't work for me), stability of the servers (which is horrible, but then again the servers have been 'off' for the better art of a month now) and bugs (which there are a ton of, which is common with new releases).

From an artistic standpoint, I like the new loading screens. The mission layout of Delta Flight was kinda fun, but apparently I was supposed to play Blood of the Ancients first (which I have yet to do, oops).

The sector space revamp... I'm on the fence with this one. It looks great and makes it more realistic in feel, but with it being so big now, it just seems so empty. I'm used to seeing a few fellow captains flying around and there's just nothing. Now again, it does make it feel more like how space travel would be, but this is an MMO and there should be some interaction with other players. I'm sure it'll grow on me but for now it just seems so single player-y.

The story content, well, I can't say much about that. I've only had time to run Delta Flight and I thought it was alright. Decent dialog for Paris, a death that has a tiny bit of meaning, overall, not horrid. I'm sure I'll play it again. I'm hoping that once I'm able to play Blood of the Ancients I'll see how the story flows together better because right now, I go from playing Monday and the galaxy is alright, with a potential threat in the form of the Iconians, to Tuesday (after the update) apparently being in an all out war that's been going for a while.

Overall, I'm of a positive mind about the new season. Plenty to gripe about but the potential is there. Let's hope the Devs can deliver.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For me, it's receives a total score of "meh".

Cryptic/PWE really, really need to get a better VO director so they can start getting something resembling an in-character and not bored sounding VO from these actors someday.

Sector space is cool, it has a better feel and gives my GPUs some time to cool off.

The story content is fine, better than some of the more recent stuff actually. I think they got a bit over ambitious on some of the missions scripts though, since there are at least 6 ways I have managed to break Delta Flight through normal gameplay, i.e. not TRYING to break it.

I find all the Iconian mobs to be way squishier than I would expect, except for the occasional combo of crazyness that actually forces me to heal - not something I usually have to do in story missions.

It *is* surprisingly light on bugs, which is astounding based on previous seasons.

All-in-all, it has held my interest for another couple of days. Meh.

Edit: In agreement with the previous poster about pre-patching - I sat through that 3gb patch 3 times - that never freaking works for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I'm leaning toward 'pass' for Season 10, since the more recent season updates have been a single episode, maybe an STF and perhaps one major/minor overhaul to a single part of the game (R&D, Doff menu, loadouts, etc...).

Season 10's sector space update was a big surprise when I warped out of Qo'nos to do 'Mine Enemy' on my DR and I accidently clicked the 'travel to' button again after picking auto navigate (nice touch by the way adding both options to a popup dialogue) and the cost of Transwarping was dropping like a stone in real-time! :eek: That is AWESOME, no longer is Transwarp cost based on some arbitrary distance from the homeworld, woohoo! Also, the update really makes the galaxy feel 'big' (lol), very cool, good job Cryptic.

I might say, the cost of transwarp still seems a bit much considering that many low level characters don't have much ec to drop on fast-travel (it's better now than it was prior to the update, due to the updates in distance/ec, still a reduction would still be appreciated, but I'm not going to complain about it as it isn't nearly as prohibitive now as it used to be).

It's nice that this one Season update came with 3 STF missions instead of just one, but I am a little disappointed that there is currently no way to get Iconian marks outside of STF missions (at least none that I'm currently aware of), maybe that's yet to come, yes?

I might add that the 2nd Featured Episode, is mildly disappointing if you look at it from a "seasoned admiral's" point of view... bunch of hot-shot pilots trying to be heroes... not exactly something a Starfleet Admiral would be taking part in, however, aside from that little issue it is a pretty good mission, especially Mr. Paris' antiquated humor lol, I would strongly recommend to anyone not to take a larger ship like a Galaxy to do this mission... I had to put all power to engines and use Strategic Manuvering and I still barely made the targets, serves me right for taking a big slow ship and choosing 'Hard' haha. :P

One last thing, can we please lose the need to replay a mission several times (with rewards unlocking every week) just to get a new set? You could put each piece in the next mission like the Dominion/Breen missions... I'm finding it difficult to get more than one or two pieces on my toons before starting to hate the missions. :(
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Se 10 : The best, smoothest launch of all time in STO hands down.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kintisho wrote: »
    Se 10 : The best, smoothest launch of all time in STO hands down.

Sadly, yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    It's a fine season, but lag in general is still ruining gameplay. It's great that they always add episodes now, because there were many seasons with no new episodes released.

The rewards for the new space STFs isn't worth the hassle, so I stick to the ground STF on normal and get my daily bonus which is enough for two days of running the daily.

My #1 favorite thing is that they're adding new boff abilities, and science actually got 2 different ones. Haven't used either yet, but both look balanced.

I still think the devs need to take a half season to just fix bugs. Since their next "big" release before a new season will be the Summer event, maybe they should concentrate on bug fixes apart from putting the finishing touches on this year's new Summer grind.
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A bit too early to tell ,really . quite a lot of players haven't yet seen any of the new content ( or the old one,at that ) due to the DX11 errors . But I have never seen any MMO where a major update went smooth and without any bugs whatsoever
  • Options
    sarcjestersarcjester Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am still trying to decide...because as all us old timers will tell you its not the things craptic add/release into STO...its the changes and removeal/ninja nerfing of the "new seasons that worry us. For example the sudden disapperance of the frieghters outside of ESD that alot of people relied on to deduce the cost of commidites for projects on the Starbase. I for one never saw or heard on any blogs or pod casts that this was being done. Til I can discover what they HAVENT told us about will I be willing to rate a pass or fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Great content, extremely stable implementation. Pass with flying colors.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are lots of bugs that needs to be squashed before I will say how good or bad Season 10 is.

Also, I do not think it is fair to compare LoR to Season 10 because LoR was an expansion and Season 10 is merely an update to progress the story. A better comparison would be the LoR Expansion vs. the DR Expansion.
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So far, Season 10 for me is an Epic Fail.

The walls down Sector revamp, looks really pretty, but is a PITA for getting anywhere in a decent time, combine this with reduced rewards for patrol missions, for example and you are looking at significant increase in grind.

The fails in the new systems autopilot are just annoying icing on the pretty but badly cooked cake.

Add in the dx11 fails people are getting with the new load screen, and with some of the 'revamped visuals', and the massive SNR/DC/Lag issues that have arrived exactly in sync with s-10's assorted pre-patches and server updates over the last week, and the whole "Welcome to S-10, you won't be able to use it for a week after release at least"

Yeah, it might not be as bad as Season[whatever] way back in Days of Yore, but for me...

Epic Fail
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    coraleccoralec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So far, Season 10 for me is an Epic Fail.

The walls down Sector revamp, looks really pretty, but is a PITA for getting anywhere in a decent time, combine this with reduced rewards for patrol missions, for example and you are looking at significant increase in grind.

The fails in the new systems autopilot are just annoying icing on the pretty but badly cooked cake.

Add in the dx11 fails people are getting with the new load screen, and with some of the 'revamped visuals', and the massive SNR/DC/Lag issues that have arrived exactly in sync with s-10's assorted pre-patches and server updates over the last week, and the whole "Welcome to S-10, you won't be able to use it for a week after release at least"

Yeah, it might not be as bad as Season[whatever] way back in Days of Yore, but for me...

Epic Fail

Agreed. I've been getting lag that is so bad I can't even finish the new story missions, and any STF's look like slideshows. This is a "stable launch" only if you define stable as the servers have not crashed (yet). The lag and server stability has hit a new and unforgivable low with season 10 imo.

Oh and don't forget the whole breaking everyone's account and fleet banks thing...
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Does or can't STO's Season 10 live upto the Romulan Expansion.

It's a Season not an Expansion...why would you compare it as such? That's setting unreasonable expectations, no?

S10 vs. S9 vs. S8 vs. S7 vs. S6 sort of thing...

Delta Rising vs. Legacy of Romulus sort of thing...

Personally, I don't see it living up to a Season - it's more like one of the X.5 seasons...more like 9.5 and 8.5 than 9, 8, 7, or 6 were...
  • Options
    dargalanddargaland Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    It's a fine season, but lag in general is still ruining gameplay.

That's it in a nutshell.

The space revamp is excellent.

The lag in the featured episodes is ridiculous. Can't tell if I'm firing or dead. Delta Flight, I can't get past the Westin calibration. Why you ask? When I click the numbers, it just keeps flipping thru the numbers. Nothing locks. So for me...I'll stay out of the Iconian war. Too much hassle with far too little reward! (BTW whose bright idea was it to try to force people to do STFs just to get reputation marks? That has pretty much turned me off of STO. There are no other options other than do it or you can't complete the rep. Count me as not doing it. I don't like not having other options or being forced to bend to the way someone else thinks I should be playing!)
  • Options
    sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Biggest FAIL to date. I have not been able to log in once since this happened. My CPU is not the problem the update was I am the leader of the Star Knights. Trying Steam hope that works. :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sarcjester wrote: »
    I am still trying to decide...because as all us old timers will tell you its not the things craptic add/release into STO...its the changes and removeal/ninja nerfing of the "new seasons that worry us. For example the sudden disapperance of the frieghters outside of ESD that alot of people relied on to deduce the cost of commidites for projects on the Starbase. I for one never saw or heard on any blogs or pod casts that this was being done. Til I can discover what they HAVENT told us about will I be willing to rate a pass or fail.

Damn it...I figure that would happen...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What I want to know is why 2 emergency patches in the last 2 days. What did they miss in the first patch. That they had to do a second EMERGENCY patch.

The patch notes look the same to me at a basic level. I didn't compare the 2 line for line.

I know that their is a bank problem and post here talk about a lag problem. I know for watchting youtube vids. That recording programs can cause major problems in lag.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The patch notes look the same to me at a basic level. I didn't compare the 2 line for line.

Release Notes: April 23rd, 2015

“Blood of Ancients”:
    ---Resolved an issue where the player and Captain Kagren are sometimes stuck in the ground in the first cut scene.
    ---Resolved an issue where two music tracks were playing at the same time in the beginning cut scene.
    ---The surface of Lae'nas from system space now displays damage after the Iconians attack the planet.
    ---Resolved an issue where the Heralds would not correctly scale down on Lae'nas for players less than level 60 causing the fights to be too difficult.
    Resolved an issue which was causing the Delta Flight allies to become stuck in repair mode while fighting the Iaidon Dreadnought in the episode “Delta Flight”.
    Resolved an issue that was preventing the large-denomination Mark conversion projects from appearing for the Nukara, Omega, Romulan, Counter-Command, and Dyson Sphere Reputations.
    Bridge Officers which should not be dismissible, such as Tovan Khev, cannot be turned in to Training Manuals.
    Resolved an issue in the “Herald Sphere” where occasionally on Advanced and Elite difficulties, in stage 3, Heralds would stop spawning.

Release Notes: April 22nd, 2015

Resolved an issue which would occasionally cause maps to crash.
    Resolved an issue which was blocking players from being able to apply the new Xindi lockbox Bridge Officer powers Kemocite-Laced Weaponry, Structural Integrity Collapse, and Subspace Vortex.
    Resolved an issue which was blocking the ability to complete the mission “Report to Battle Group Omega”.
    Resolved an issue where Tom Paris did not have the correct sound effect when speaking through a communicator in the episode “Delta Flight”.
    Resolved an issue where crafting nodes were not in the correct places throughout the Delta Quadrant.
    Resolved an issue where the Jenolan Sphere would take players to the old sector map before placing them into the correct one.
    Resolved an issue in “Delta Flight” where the cutscene which occurs when flying through the rings towards an asteroid plays multiple times when players are teamed.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tenative blah from me. The sector space thing is nice, but the story missions just have me rolling my eyes, and the queued missions are just more FAW-dps TRIBBLE. The ground queue is alright but will probably get bored of that pretty quick. And then there's the bugs, which in additional to the usual launch day stuff (which ya do expect), there's also this bank/exchange/inventory mess that has me afraid to even log in in case they have to roll things back. Can't really give an endorsement for one queue and a cool map.

For the people saying Biggest Fail though, nah, that was Delta Rising. This is more like 'seriously? all that build up to....this?'
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    ... <snip> I am a little disappointed that there is currently no way to get Iconian marks outside of STF missions <snip ...

The last 2 Kobali Missions, the open ones, Last Stand and At The Gates,... offers choice of Delta Marks with APC or Iconian Marks with Probe,... probably limited to one per day from each mission like the APC's, but their there if you wanna snag 'em.

I haven't gotten any of those yet as I'm still gathering APC's,.. but thought I'd mention it.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Guys, if you're getting lag have you considered doing a trace route? I've had ZERO problems other than the occasional rubber banding, nothing I would consider "game breaking" in any normal use of the term. It might have nothing to do with Cryptic's servers but an error further down your line. I was getting AWFUL packet loss and latency a couple weeks ago, turned out to be one of BT's junctions in Birmingham giving me 80% packet loss (or there about's).

Don't be so quick to lambast Cryptic when it might be something entirely out of their control.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I find it all very fiddly and annoying. I'm so sick of getting hit by everything at once (Ground and Space), thus being close to death right from the off. Three years in, I still fail to understand why even an enemy grunt has more health than I do. Also, what's the point of having shields if everything bypasses them now? (I'm looking at you solar gateways.)