test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DX 11 and video glitches

praxian2012praxian2012 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
It's frustrating to me that I can't enjoy graphically a game that is built on awesome graphics to begin with. I understand it's tedious and time consuming to redo all the models for Star Trek to work within the DX 11 engine, but keep in mind as everyone goes on to Windows 7 and on, DX 11 is the standard. There is no downgrading to DX 9 or 10 (or if there is I can't find it for the past 2 weeks I've been looking).

I see in the promotional ad that is part of the ARC system it says that the game is part of the Cryptic engine which means less bugs and more of what you enjoy, and that may be true of other games, I'm not sure, but in this case the biggest bug is DX 11 not working, and along with the other bugs in the game, would be good to see some kind of adjustment made to take care of these things.
Post edited by praxian2012 on

Comments

• Options
    dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can, in the client, force it to run in DX9 or DX9ex. (Can't remember excactly where, believe it's in display tab)

DX11 haven't been fully optimized yet, and they are still working on that. But in reality, this engine wasn't build with DX11 in mind, and the only assurance for full integration would be a new game engine. There's still a lot of issues, wich I believe they have addressed, what might not get any better until a new engine can come in place.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    dllmmo wrote: »
    You can, in the client, force it to run in DX9 or DX9ex. (Can't remember excactly where, believe it's in display tab)

DX11 haven't been fully optimized yet, and they are still working on that. But in reality, this engine wasn't build with DX11 in mind, and the only assurance for full integration would be a new game engine. There's still a lot of issues, wich I believe they have addressed, what might not get any better until a new engine can come in place.

I've looked there and I don't see it anywhere. I'll look again, but I've looked for a while now for the force use of DX 9 and I've never seen it

*Note: I just looked again and it's no where in there. Looked under all the in-game tabs and it's just not in there.
  • Options
    xyz111xyz111 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I finally found a work-around since ARC can't support the latest directx (11). Find the STO EXE file and change the preferences to run in compatability mode of XP or something else that will force directx 9. It will fix it so you can log on, but this shouldn't excuse ARC from fixing the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've looked there and I don't see it anywhere. I'll look again, but I've looked for a while now for the force use of DX 9 and I've never seen it

*Note: I just looked again and it's no where in there. Looked under all the in-game tabs and it's just not in there.

EDIT:

So, I came home, and now making the alterations after checking up.

In-game options:

Display (tab) --> Video Card (selectable option) --> !!It can say either - Auto - Direct3d 11 - Direct3d 9ex - Direct3d 9!!

**Just a reminder for myself as well ;) You need to make sure you got DX9 installed.**
    Changing everything here for you :D : DX9 installer for W7 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    xyz111 wrote: »
    I finally found a work-around since ARC can't support the latest directx (11). Find the STO EXE file and change the preferences to run in compatability mode of XP or something else that will force directx 9. It will fix it so you can log on, but this shouldn't excuse ARC from fixing the game.

ARC is a launcher of a launcher.
    ARC are the collected launcher of all PWE games. The individual games have their own launcher that secure all pathcing, and launching of the main client .exe. ARC doesn't interfere with the clients in any way.
    It's possible to bypass the ARC client, (topics on that) if you have problems launching the STO launcher. But that is as far it goes.

(BTW, ARC is web based)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    In the STO launcher, is it possible to enter something under "Options" to make it recognize and use DX 9 or DX 9ex? Following the instructions earlier I did find it afterwards, however even after installing the win 7 version of dx 9 STO is still glitching.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    In the STO launcher, is it possible to enter something under "Options" to make it recognize and use DX 9 or DX 9ex? Following the instructions earlier I did find it afterwards, however even after installing the win 7 version of dx 9 STO is still glitching.

You can try this out:
    I have a solution to this problem for nVidia users! I just came across this after having 3 days of down time in STO. This has to do with the Cuda Cores on the Geforce Control Panel. Disabling these cuda cores fixed the problem for me. I had three different erroes. D3D11 Device Removed. D3D11 Creating Vertex Buffer. And D3D11 Error creating 1x1x1 mips .

nVidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > CUDA GPU's set to NONE

I'm not sure why this would cause a problem, but it did fix it for me. I just hope that this fixes it for more people. SPREAD THE WORD IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!!!! I have seen many posts about this problem. Get the fix around.

By the way, I AM NOT A DEV. Just someone who wants to see this game function correctly from now on

I do not know if you're an Nvidia user, but never the less.

If you use AMD, you can try rolling back to 12.1. (But that requires a lot of work.) Need to uninstall and clean everything up, and then reinstall.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Use AMD myself and already did the roll back.
  • Options
    angryjonny55angryjonny55 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm an AMD user. My DX11 issues didn't start happening until the Season 10 pre-patch started going. Tried going back to 12.1 and changed to different DX modes, but still got graphical issues and freezes. Windows error reporting keeps pointing to atidxx32.dll as the faulting module, even though that file doesn't exist in the folder it says it's in (I'm 64-bit). So I went with the latest beta drivers and set video card to DX 9ex, and that seems to work. Only problem I'm getting now (every now and then), is when playing Youtube videos in full screen, I get some weird video corruption or the driver crashes but quickly recovers.

It can be a gamble using beta drivers, one problem fixed, yet others arise. Hopefully this issue is fixed soon, either with Season 10's launch or shortly thereafter.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What I understand with the AMD cards ATM, are a hit or miss chance of it working. AMD really screwed..

But angryjonny55's offer sounds good. Beta drivers can be a way forward. Or even further behind, but again... It's a hit or miss chance.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm an AMD user. My DX11 issues didn't start happening until the Season 10 pre-patch started going. Tried going back to 12.1 and changed to different DX modes, but still got graphical issues and freezes. Windows error reporting keeps pointing to atidxx32.dll as the faulting module, even though that file doesn't exist in the folder it says it's in (I'm 64-bit). So I went with the latest beta drivers and set video card to DX 9ex, and that seems to work. Only problem I'm getting now (every now and then), is when playing Youtube videos in full screen, I get some weird video corruption or the driver crashes but quickly recovers.

It can be a gamble using beta drivers, one problem fixed, yet others arise. Hopefully this issue is fixed soon, either with Season 10's launch or shortly thereafter.

The funny thing is that's when I started having problems myself. In general I don't use Beta's - personally I'm a use it when it's official kinda-person.

I dunno, I wanna play more STO, but STO is the only game I play that I'm having graphics issues with. Rather than keep playing around with drivers and settings at this rate, I think I'm a stick to the other games and just check in once a week or so and see if Cryptic has gone out of their way to fix whatever issues it is they're doing. I had found a thread (have to find it and post it) where someone from Cryptic said "They're aware of the issue, and the issue is that the "models" weren't done correctly in DX11, that in order to fix it they'd have to redo every model so that it'd work correctly with DX 11 - for some reason DX 9 wasn't as picky as DX 11 is when the code says to do this or that"
  • Options
    septicnecrosissepticnecrosis Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tried using other DX settings in game, but didn't resolve my flickering or my shadow issues that came with S11.

AMD Radeon HD 7800, latest drivers
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Tried using other DX settings in game, but didn't resolve my flickering or my shadow issues that came with S11.

AMD Radeon HD 7800, latest drivers

Do you have Antialiasing on? Screen-space ambient occlusion on? Try turning one or both off (both off for me) and use DX 9ex. This has helped keep my game stable without sacrificing graphics.

I also have Cinematic focus (depth of field) off as well. I get 50-60 fps this way. I was getting the same fps before these problems at max settings, even with Antialiasing set to Msaa - 8x.
  • Options
    splitboysplitboy Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dllmmo wrote: »
    What I understand with the AMD cards ATM, are a hit or miss chance of it working. AMD really screwed..

But angryjonny55's offer sounds good. Beta drivers can be a way forward. Or even further behind, but again... It's a hit or miss chance.

You understand wrong besides the multisampling bug that has been fixed for the DX11 in 15.4Beta.

My AMD Card runs as good as my nVidia Cards just that i have less issues with the AMD Card related to Multi monitor and Superresolution Setups.

As mentioned in another post allready some changes to the shaders on Cryptic's side most likely cause the Problems.
  • Options
    kittjtkkittjtk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hello all i have win 8 and i did the d3d9 and the d3d9ex i can get in game but now i have no sound in game at all can some one help me plz
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    splitboy wrote: »
    You understand wrong besides the multisampling bug that has been fixed for the DX11 in 15.4Beta.

My AMD Card runs as good as my nVidia Cards just that i have less issues with the AMD Card related to Multi monitor and Superresolution Setups.

As mentioned in another post allready some changes to the shaders on Cryptic's side most likely cause the Problems.

True, the beta driver did fix the antialiasing issue I was having when the pre-patch started. I would get pixel/shader distortions when that was on with Screen-space ambient occlusion on as well. Turning one or the other off, it wouldn't happen as much. Both off, none whatsoever, but game would still freeze and crash. On social ground/space and sector maps, I wouldn't crash, but on ground mission maps, game would freeze and Windows error reporting would pop up. This only occurs when I use DX 11. So it has to be on STO's side, as I have no problems with other games that use DX 11. On a side note, I did another complete uninstall/reinstall of the beta drivers and have not experienced any issues outside of STO.

Prior to the pre-patch happening, I was running STO in DX 11 at max graphics settings without any issues.
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015

1 At the launcher window, options - safe mode

2 Start the game

3 in game options again, look for a drop down called 'videocard' , you can do this at the char selection screen. Here is where you force directx version

4 Set display mode to WINDOWED, set your other opts to whatever you like

5 exit game

6 relaunch game, no need to safe mode this time

7 once past the logo load screen, at char selection you can maximize the window and play

8 when you're done, un-maximize the window and exit

remember every time you log in maximize, and un maximize before exit
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    True, the beta driver did fix the antialiasing issue I was having when the pre-patch started. I would get pixel/shader distortions when that was on with Screen-space ambient occlusion on as well. Turning one or the other off, it wouldn't happen as much. Both off, none whatsoever, but game would still freeze and crash. On social ground/space and sector maps, I wouldn't crash, but on ground mission maps, game would freeze and Windows error reporting would pop up. This only occurs when I use DX 11. So it has to be on STO's side, as I have no problems with other games that use DX 11. On a side note, I did another complete uninstall/reinstall of the beta drivers and have not experienced any issues outside of STO.

Prior to the pre-patch happening, I was running STO in DX 11 at max graphics settings without any issues.

Agreed but now it is not just the DX11 that does (not Crash for me) but all DX render Options that have bad fps Counts on most ground maps.

But this could be my R9 290x i still recall that i had some weird Driver hickups with one of my older HD5xxx Cards in another rig havent tested it with anything newer then the Omega Driver yet.
  • Options
    bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    splitboy wrote: »
    Agreed but now it is not just the DX11 that does (not Crash for me) but all DX render Options that have bad fps Counts on most ground maps.

But this could be my R9 290x i still recall that i had some weird Driver hickups with one of my older HD5xxx Cards in another rig havent tested it with anything newer then the Omega Driver yet.

I was going to get the R9 290x in a few days, now I don't know what to do.
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bannon3 wrote: »
    I was going to get the R9 290x in a few days, now I don't know what to do.

This was supposed to be in a positive way.

No crashes with the R9 290x for me even with DX11 and no multisampling artifacts either.
    The only issues that i do Encounter are those pesky low FPS on certian groundmaps and with 16-19 on New Romulus i do appear to be still someone in a good place as others Report low single Digit fps.

Tho anything below 30 FPS is nothing to brag about and could be considered almost unplayable.

On a Sidenote should you go to the Shuttlebay at Romulan Command their are no issues at all the old FPS values apply.

So yes the R9 290x is fine.
  • Options
    bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Since the patch, the Video is defaulting to "Direct 3D 11" which most computers (unless they are specced for it,) cannot handle.

To fix:

Load the game in Safe Mode, go to Options>Display>Video Card.

Instead of Auto, select Direct 3D 9. Save the change, and exit the game.

Reload and hey ho, I've been playing for hours without an issue. I've even played through the content that was causing this gem to crash, without issue. I'm back to my previous high graphics settings and all appears to be working without a hitch.

Hope this helps

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team