test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enterprise Theme Song

canisrufus5canisrufus5 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Ten Forward
My favorite Star Trek is Enterprise (Yes, I even like the theme song).

What I do not get is why people hate the ENT theme song. Yes it probably says faith (in the full song) one too many times, but if you listen to the lyrics it goes along with the basic premise of the first couple episodes if not at least the first season. The song starts off by saying that it took a long time and they had a long road. Earth had a long way to go before they were warp capable, and a long road ahead of them to show those uppity Vulcans that we could do it and not fall flat on our faces. The song then says that they will see there dream come alive at last. Archer would finally be able to see his and his Fathers dream come alive. The song then says that things are going to change and nothings going to stop them and no one is going to hold them back. The Vulcans were holding Earth, and Archers engine, back because they felt they were not ready and yet, paraphrasing Trip, they wouldn't even let us fail, until we forced them to let us try. I think the song truly portrays how indomitable the human spirit is and how we as Humans will never stop trying or searching for what is out there. That is why I like Enterprise and it's theme song, because I felt that at least at first it was about exploring and the Human spirit. :cool::D

It's been a long road,

getting from there to here.

It's been a long time,

but my time is finally here.

And I will see my dream 
come alive at last.

I will touch the sky.

And they're not gonna hold 
me down no more.

No they're not gonna change 
my mind.

'Cause I've got faith of the heart.

I'm going where my heart 
will take me.

I've got faith to believe.

I can do anything. 
I've got strength of the soul.

And no one's going to bend 
or break me.

I can reach any star. 
I've got faith, 
'Cause I've got faith, 
Faith of the heart...

Now I want to know why people don't like the theme song other than that it actually has lyrics and they say faith too many times. Please, tell me your reasons, elaborate on why you hate the theme song. I want to understand.
Richard O'Neill U.S.S. Komali (Fed Engineer)
Dr Henry Morgan Delta Recruit (Fed Science Officer)
K'nah of the House of Tucker I.K.S Vagari (KDF Tactical)
Lord Ba'al Delta Recruit (KDF Tactical)
Post edited by canisrufus5 on

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think people mainly hate it just because it's not an instrumental piece like TNG/DS9/VOY.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's soft rock that strives (and fails) to be inspirational. Artistically, it's a poor choice to go with a nonhumorous science-fiction piece.

And a Trek captain doesn't need Faith of the Heart - he's got Power of the Starship!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i find it to be a most beautiful song, lyrics are touching and the music is awesome, i dont really care if people dont like it themselves, we all have our own brands of music style we like and some we distaste greatly...:cool:
  • Options
    dandalfthetealdandalftheteal Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Because it sounds like an 80s or early 90s drama theme and not a Star Trek theme. It's just woefully out of sync with the nature of the show.
  • Options
    rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like it, or at least the original version that played between seasons 1 and 2, and I do not feel it's out of sync with the nature of the show at all - that is, the show was supposed to bridge the gap between now and Trek, so it should have things that seem like they belong to today, and things that seem like they belong in Trek. One of those things for "today" is a poppy opening tune to fit in with the theme songs for other popular shows at the time, like Smallville.
    jonsills wrote:
    Artistically, it's a poor choice to go with a nonhumorous science-fiction piece.

Enterprise wasn't exactly a comedy, but I wouldn't say that it was nonhumorous, or that Trek in general is nonhumorous. Four out of the five series are actually noted for being very easygoing, lighthearted, and with plenty of funny in them.

(Sometimes I think that, in some ways Deep Space Nine was the worst thing to ever happen to Trek, regardless of the overall quality of the series itself. Deep Space Nine brought in this entire crowd of folk who wanted a Serious Show that confronted Serious Issues in a Serious Way resulting in Serious Consequences, Sometimes, But Not If It's Dax Fulfilling A Blood Oath)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Enterprise wasn't exactly a comedy, but I wouldn't say that it was nonhumorous, or that Trek in general is nonhumorous. Four out of the five series are actually noted for being very easygoing, lighthearted, and with plenty of funny in them.

(Sometimes I think that, in some ways Deep Space Nine was the worst thing to ever happen to Trek, regardless of the overall quality of the series itself. Deep Space Nine brought in this entire crowd of folk who wanted a Serious Show that confronted Serious Issues in a Serious Way resulting in Serious Consequences, Sometimes, But Not If It's Dax Fulfilling A Blood Oath)

And TNG was easygoing, softhearted, humorous? It didn't take itself too seriously?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think people mainly hate it just because it's not an instrumental piece like TNG/DS9/VOY.

And TOS. And the films. Or even JJTRek.

Even RENEGADES is doing instrumentals.

Star Trek does not need lyrics. Music sets the atmosphere just fine.
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's soft rock that strives (and fails) to be inspirational. Artistically, it's a poor choice to go with a nonhumorous science-fiction piece.

And a Trek captain doesn't need Faith of the Heart - he's got Power of the Starship!

But why does God need a Starship?
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My favorite Star Trek is Enterprise (Yes, I even like the theme song).

What I do not get is why people hate the ENT theme song. Yes it probably says faith (in the full song) one too many times, but if you listen to the lyrics it goes along with the basic premise of the first couple episodes if not at least the first season. The song starts off by saying that it took a long time and they had a long road. Earth had a long way to go before they were warp capable, and a long road ahead of them to show those uppity Vulcans that we could do it and not fall flat on our faces. The song then says that they will see there dream come alive at last. Archer would finally be able to see his and his Fathers dream come alive. The song then says that things are going to change and nothings going to stop them and no one is going to hold them back. The Vulcans were holding Earth, and Archers engine, back because they felt they were not ready and yet, paraphrasing Trip, they wouldn't even let us fail, until we forced them to let us try. I think the song truly portrays how indomitable the human spirit is and how we as Humans will never stop trying or searching for what is out there. That is why I like Enterprise and it's theme song, because I felt that at least at first it was about exploring and the Human spirit. :cool::D

It's been a long road,

getting from there to here.

It's been a long time,

but my time is finally here.

And I will see my dream 
come alive at last.

I will touch the sky.

And they're not gonna hold 
me down no more.

No they're not gonna change 
my mind.

'Cause I've got faith of the heart.

I'm going where my heart 
will take me.

I've got faith to believe.

I can do anything. 
I've got strength of the soul.

And no one's going to bend 
or break me.

I can reach any star. 
I've got faith, 
'Cause I've got faith, 
Faith of the heart...

Now I want to know why people don't like the theme song other than that it actually has lyrics and they say faith too many times. Please, tell me your reasons, elaborate on why you hate the theme song. I want to understand.

First...it wasn't Rod Stewart. As copyrights go I can't see how its any cheaper to reproduce a song than paying for the royalties to play the original. You have to pay royalties either way but reproduction is at an extra cost.

The real reason - that's a bit more nuance. But picture sitting at a park bench watching people walk by. A man with his dog; a women with a baby stroller, an old couple enjoying the weather, a middle aged white woman with baggy pants and an 80's stereo on her shoulders listening to N.W.A. F The Police with punk rock purple hair wearing business casual pumps. No matter how good of a person she is, even if you become friends you will always remember the way she presented herself that day. It's not as much about the song as it is how out of place it first feels when you hear it. Then trying to get over that fact becomes difficult because of first impressions and all. Then your show fizzles out of existence and becomes the end of star trek on television and adds to the humor.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And TNG was easygoing, softhearted, humorous? It didn't take itself too seriously?

As compared to Deep Space Nine? With great gusto I say that yes, it was easygoing and softhearted. Serious Things happened but the balance of more slice-of-life everyday stuff was much better, and the fact that a big war wasn't looming over the entire series helped with that. In the balance it's the second-most serious Trek series but it is such a distant second as compared to DS9 that my core point - that Trek can and should generally be approached from an optimistic, lighthearted, easygoing mien - still stands.

Note that I don't really thinking that DS9 is bad (I do think it's boring, but that's another can of worms), just...I wish that it came with a disclaimer during the opening credits.

Warning to Trekkies: This show is as dark and serious and pessimistic as a Trek show will ever get, and we really aren't ever going to do anything like it again, as it barely gels with the core concepts of the franchise as it is. Please expect future series to be more in-line stylistically with TNG and TOS. Thank you for your time.

...not to mention, I remember watching the TV commercials for Enterprise before it aired, where they used the song "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling to advertise it. So having been first exposed to the new Trek series via that song and a trailer that advertised lighthearted action/drama with exploration and guns and weird new creatures and stuff, when "Faith of the Heart" first played for Enterprise is really didn't feel out of place at all.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    The them to Enterprise, at least to me, tried to set a feel of exploration and setting out for the first time. Really fit with the fact that it was a prequel where Humans were just really starting out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    they went ahead and gone after Russell to do the track... again. this track has been sung by a number of others.

there are far more stronger tracks that could of worked, i mean if they wanted to they could of gone for m people's search for the hero if it suited their fancy.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Series 1 & 2 theme tune is good, especially as the program was only labelled as Star Trek: Enterprise from season 3 on, which I think tells you a little about the creators thoughts on lots of things.....

From then on, the theme tune is rubbish.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It should have been based on the end credit music. That was far more trek like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxmr0zL97hU

Although, all that being said... the TOS theme did actually have lyrics originally..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0w-_Eh1dQ
    animated.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Although, all that being said... the TOS theme did actually have lyrics originally..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0w-_Eh1dQ
    Only so Gene could claim half the licensing money for the music, per ASCAP rules. He might have been infected with Hollywood Liberalism later, but back in the day he could have given Grand Nagus Zek a run for his money (if you'll pardon the expression).

And when I said "nonhumorous" above, I didn't mean ENT had no light moments - I meant it wasn't a parody of the genre, along the lines of Red Dwarf or Quark. It was supposed to be an inspiring show about Man's need to explore, and how that led to the founding of the Federation; the theme song, being insipid soft rock with frankly sophomoric lyrics, didn't fit that concept at all. "Archer's Theme", the ending music, fits much better, in my opinion.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Series 1 & 2 theme tune is good, especially as the program was only labelled as Star Trek: Enterprise from season 3 on, which I think tells you a little about the creators thoughts on lots of things.....

They were sick of colons. Everything was Star Trek: this and Star Trek: that, they wanted to move past it. Everyone would know that it was a Star Trek series, so they didn't think there was really a need for the name.

We didn't get shows like Hercules: Xena - Warrior Princess or Buffy: Angel or the like...
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

This is so untrue it's unreal.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it's ok
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i liked the mirror version from those two episodes. that was nice.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    It was very different from what Star Trek has done in the past, though the Enterprise series was also a step in a different direction.

Dispite it being different I actually enjoyed it, as much as the TNG theme, it's nice that they did take a step away from the norm, we really didn't need a rehash of an already done theme.:)

Until they changed it in season 3(4? can't remember lol), I wasn't fond of their attempt to make it more 'upbeat' I liked the early version and almost always sit through the intro sequence just to listen to it.:P
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As compared to Deep Space Nine? With great gusto I say that yes, it was easygoing and softhearted. Serious Things happened but the balance of more slice-of-life everyday stuff was much better, and the fact that a big war wasn't looming over the entire series helped with that. In the balance it's the second-most serious Trek series but it is such a distant second as compared to DS9 that my core point - that Trek can and should generally be approached from an optimistic, lighthearted, easygoing mien - still stands.

Note that I don't really thinking that DS9 is bad (I do think it's boring, but that's another can of worms), just...I wish that it came with a disclaimer during the opening credits.

Warning to Trekkies: This show is as dark and serious and pessimistic as a Trek show will ever get, and we really aren't ever going to do anything like it again, as it barely gels with the core concepts of the franchise as it is. Please expect future series to be more in-line stylistically with TNG and TOS. Thank you for your time.

...not to mention, I remember watching the TV commercials for Enterprise before it aired, where they used the song "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling to advertise it. So having been first exposed to the new Trek series via that song and a trailer that advertised lighthearted action/drama with exploration and guns and weird new creatures and stuff, when "Faith of the Heart" first played for Enterprise is really didn't feel out of place at all.

You must have an interesting idea of what's considered "easygoing" to say TNG was like that. Every episode was filled with 2 dilemmas:

1. The main threat, issue at hand that must be dealt with.

2. A personal issue for a specific crewmember.

And not all of these 2 kinds of issues were dealt in a happy, thoroughly positive way.

The series also brings up tons of moral issues, hard choices, etc. It's not exactly a show of "Watch Picard and the boys shake things up in the Galaxy."
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I always thought that the theme tune itself was okay.

I do, however, maintain the opinion that the montage was too Americentric. Where was Sputnik 1? Where was Yuri Gagarin?
    In fact, I don't recall it having any real acknowledgement of Russia's achievments in space flight. Granted, they paid lip service to the pre-spaceflight era with the HMS Enterprize, but other than that? Nope - it's an overwhelmingly 'Wooo! America! montage.

the first enterprise in existance was a stolen french frigate, not exactly a chip off the old block to start the whole idea of the enterprise being the best, ofcourse that sank not long afterwards.

russians were the first into space with sputnik, and the hotly debated american moon landing a few years later and a russian mission around the same time.

of course they would only celebrate american history as its tailored mostly to an american audience they were probably expecting. this is why you shouldnt allow certain demographic types to whisper poison into the ears of creators, it messes everything up that was mostly meant to be good natured, but instead ends up getting picked apart from its discrimination years later by armchair types and keyboard warriors.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Theme song for Enterprise, always struck me as something that would have better served as a granola breakfast cereal commercial.:P
  • Options
    canisrufus5canisrufus5 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For those of you who answered my question of why you don't like the theme song, thank you. I now understand better some of the reasons why someone would say they hate it or don't like it.

For those of you who do like the theme song, and even enjoy it, thank you. Now I don't feel so alone.
    Richard O'Neill U.S.S. Komali (Fed Engineer)
    Dr Henry Morgan Delta Recruit (Fed Science Officer)
    K'nah of the House of Tucker I.K.S Vagari (KDF Tactical)
    Lord Ba'al Delta Recruit (KDF Tactical)