test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seriously! Where are all the playable characters during Delta Expansion?

idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
This Delta Expansion thing that is going is supposed to not only entice new players to the game but also encourage current players to make new characters (and ideally buy new stuff). That said, there isn't any new playable characters for any of the factions really, despite a list of good options that should be added for people to play. The most obvious are those of the Delta Quadrant missions. Why arent' any of those added as playable characters. Not to mention the Romulans could use a number of new options. It is quite an oversight.

Playable characters that should have been added and come to mind are:
  • Xindi (all species - aquatic, mammal, insect, etc... (avian?))
  • Horta
  • Vaadwar
  • Kobali
  • Hazari
  • Ocampan (sp?)
  • Benthan
  • Bluegill
  • Automated Personnel Unit
  • Hierarchy
  • Kazon
  • Malon
  • Turei
  • Voth
  • Breen
  • Dosi
  • Jem'Hadar
  • Vorta
  • Karemma
  • Paradan
  • Wadi
  • And my personal favorite is whatever species the DJ in Earth Space Dock is.

etc... You get the idea. A few of those should have been a relatively easy add. Give older players something to really draw them to create new characters. Anyone else disappointed about this?
ZNju0ze.jpg
Post edited by idashla on

Comments

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Looking at your list, I see the xindi as a good suggestion, several "ipossible" ones (Horta and armor.... good luck have fun), and mostly suggestions that are either "hostile races" (Breen, Jem'Hadar), several races that are not ingame yet, and a lot of Delta Alliance races that don't belong in any of the existiong faction.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You missed one I'd vote for- Suliban. And the neat thing about the Suliban is they could be an option for all three factions.
  • Options
    idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You missed one I'd vote for- Suliban. And the neat thing about the Suliban is they could be an option for all three factions.

A good point. Suliban would be a good one for all three.

As if the somewhat hostile races might be kept off the list, just remember that many of those hostile races have worked with the factions as part of the story line AND a number are now DOFFs already. For example there are Breen members of many of our crew as part of the Breen story arc. Also, the Vaadwar had a complex story line in the recent Delta arc. Wouldn't there be one or two who might cross over to one of the factions?

Lastly, as someone who has always wanted to play a Horta, I always envisioned them having an armor kit attached on top with mechanical arms and likely something projecting that couted as eyes and an digial face bit. Something for people to look at, and vice versa. Yes, it might take some work, but WOULDN'T IT BE COOL?? Yes, a horta would be more difficult, but we can dream (and ask repeadedly), right?
    ZNju0ze.jpg
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    idashla wrote: »
    This Delta Expansion thing that is going is supposed to not only entice new players to the game but also encourage current players to make new characters (and ideally buy new stuff). That said, there isn't any new playable characters for any of the factions really, despite a list of good options that should be added for people to play. The most obvious are those of the Delta Quadrant missions. Why arent' any of those added as playable characters. Not to mention the Romulans could use a number of new options. It is quite an oversight.

• Xindi (all species - aquatic, mammal, insect, etc... (avian?))
    • Horta
    • Vaadwaur
    • Kobali
    • Hazari
    • Ocampan (sp?)
    • Bentham
    • Bluegill
    • Automated Personnel Unit
    • Hierarchy
    • Kazon
    • Malon
    • Turei
    • Voth
    • Breen
    • Dosi
    • Jem'Hadar
    • Vorta
    • Karemma
    • Paradan
    • Wadi
    • And my personal favorite is whatever species the DJ in Earth Space Dock is.

etc... You get the idea. A few of those should have been a relatively easy add. Give older players something to really draw them to create new characters. Anyone else disappointed about this?

Use your fantasy a little and use the Alien Generator.... O wait you wanted handed to you so you don't have to work.... LOL... But I love your suggestion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't see Photonic Being on that list.

Nor do I see expanded Borg races for LTS owners and bonus cosmetic Borg wear to make your Boffs look like Borg for personal roleplay reasons (few people will ever see your away team outside of ground BZ or Nimbus anyway).

I'd like to create a Borg Reman, Borg Andorian, Borg Nausicaan, Borg Vulcan, and so on.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    HI! I'm the Alien species!! I know I am over looked a lot, but I can become practically any species you want, at any time!!! I know you will love me if you give me the chance.

Seriously, go look around, there are dozens of guides that show you have to make Trek species which are not yet playable or even in game.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Horta

Yes, we all are eager to play a pile of rock. NO KILL!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Horta

(You probably meant Vorta :) )
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd love to see the Denobulans and Cardasians added, but the rest don't really make sense. And most of them can be made in the alien generator.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The ocampa and kazon were supposed to be in the game as playable characters: Feds got the ocampa and the KDF got the kazon.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dmt wrote: »
    The ocampa and kazon were supposed to be in the game as playable characters: Feds got the ocampa and the KDF got the kazon.

Ummm.... Since when?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seriously! Where are all the playable characters during Delta Recruitment ?

Well just like in RL, we were recruiting , they stayed at home / away .

... like the way regular toons disappeared from ESD, and now it's full of Delta Recruits, many of which are older players with new toons ...
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    [*]Xindi (all species - aquatic, mammal, insect, etc... (avian?))
    Yes I also want a character that can't beam down on a planet, unless I use a giant fish tank. So I can play a Dune's Guild Navigator.

Joke aside, many species in your list are not feasible for various reasons (either the fish tank issue or something similar), or that would be stupid lore wise.
    Why would a bluegill join starfleet ? They are some kind of hive insect that try to annihilate starfleet everytime they can, and are bio engineered by the Iconian...
    APU ? Joining the same faction that decided against giving them an item which allow them to reproduce and survive ? I don't know it's like Vaadwaur joining the Kobali...

Also, everything that's not humanoid is far too expensive to add ingame. They need their own animations (and there are a LOT of them), armor, weapons, and they are basically a playable bug and clipping generator.

Finally, you can do some of them using the alien gen character, which is there for that reason, mostly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When the developers began releasing information about the then-upcoming delta quadrant stuff. Obviously, like the suliban, they were removed. The talaxians, now a lifetime/veteran race, were supposed to be available to both factions.

Also the fact that Admiral Quinn's new assistant, after the player kills the last one in Surface Tension, is ocampa: Lieutenant Linnea.

sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1083631
    The very first post
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The ocampa and kazon were supposed to be in the game as playable characters: Feds got the ocampa and the KDF got the SHAFT!.

There! Fixed that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEaRCAcfOEQ

"They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother... / SHUT YOUR MOUTH!" :D
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015

as I said in the thread on this subject before the start of delta recruit, you seem to forget this is not an expansion or even a season update, this is just an event pure and simple, if you can think of one event that has featured even one new playable species I would eat my hat.
    I just cant see it happening.

as we see I was right.

now im not talking about new factions like roms as was suggested in the last thread only playable species.

why oh why does anyone think they would create any playable species for an event, even a big one like this I just don't know, it would be unprecedented and would expand this event beyond an event into being an expansion.

as I see in your post you are terming this as "This Delta Expansion thing" I reiterate, this is not an expansion, it is just an event like the summer or winter events and such, it may be a bit longer then most but its still an event none the less.
    as it says on the news page "We're pleased to announce our Delta Recruitment Event is now live!"

now you can mull over all the species you would like till your blue in the face but it wont happen till the next expansion.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2015

That would not go over well with many kdf players... for once I'd be with the haters too... I'd want the waif on my Klingon ship not my fed. funnier picturing one beating up a big strong Klingon... or better yet gorn then a puny, peaceful human or betazoid.

If your having trouble picturing it rewatch warlord. Image the kdf with a few of those.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    HI! I'm the Alien species!! I know I am over looked a lot, but I can become practically any species you want, at any time!!! I know you will love me if you give me the chance.

Seriously, go look around, there are dozens of guides that show you have to make Trek species which are not yet playable or even in game.

Well if the borg parts and ability unlocked for lifetimers I think it would be perfect. Infact better than the borg species because then you could be a borg andorian, orion, random alien.

I would still love some of the newer borg body pieces or at least the borg bodysuit the npc borg come with.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, we all are eager to play a pile of rock. NO KILL!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Horta

(You probably meant Vorta :) )

"In the TNG novel Dyson Sphere, it is revealed that Starfleet has starships crewed entirely by Horta. These ships are of standard design, with nearly all amenities removed, and are filled with solid stone, which the Horta can reshape as they see fit."

It's in the same link you quoted.

I know the novelverse is non-canon, but it makes it a bit more plausible, we even have Horta duty officers and a Horta battle pet.

While I wouldn't want Horta captains, I would love to have a Horta on my away team instead of a bridge officer, maybe with some special abilities and traits.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bioixi wrote: »
    "In the TNG novel Dyson Sphere, it is revealed that Starfleet has starships crewed entirely by Horta. These ships are of standard design, with nearly all amenities removed, and are filled with solid stone, which the Horta can reshape as they see fit."

It's in the same link you quoted.

I know the novelverse is non-canon, but it makes it a bit more plausible, we even have Horta duty officers and a Horta battle pet.

While I wouldn't want Horta captains, I would love to have a Horta on my away team instead of a bridge officer, maybe with some special abilities and traits.
    And that quote is a good indication why novels are not considered hard canon. A species which cannot even talk with others is somewhat useless as far as exploration and First Contact. Could you imagine what those TOS episodes would have been like if the crew were all Horta? Though Horta Kirk doing a Kirk Roll could be interesting. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    And that quote is a good indication why novels are not considered hard canon. A species which cannot even talk with others is somewhat useless as far as exploration and First Contact. Could you imagine what those TOS episodes would have been like if the crew were all Horta? Though Horta Kirk doing a Kirk Roll could be interesting. :)

To be fair, STO is also non-canon, we have people piloting Undine bioships, our characters personally know everyone important, and there are like 2000 admirals out there, so canon and plausibility won't be a problem.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Horta gonna hort.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bioixi wrote: »
    To be fair, STO is also non-canon, we have people piloting Undine bioships, our characters personally know everyone important, and there are like 2000 admirals out there, so canon and plausibility won't be a problem.
    The first thing to keep in mind is that even though STO is an MMO it is a singular story. There are not a million Fleet Admirals in Starfleet - or 50 million vessels. There are just a million Captains in the game who made that rank doing the same missions you did. At best STO is a shared SPG: every person is the center of the exact same story. So all the Admirals really have no bearing on canon. The fact that you see a lot of other Fleet Admirals flying around is just a gaming trope, like glowies popping up when you kill something.

As far as knowing everyone important, all the TV captains did. How many Admirals were friends with Picard, etc? Again, as it is YOUR story being told as you play these people are involved in YOUR life. That is just part of Trek.

Finally as far as piloting captured alien ships, the old argument is that Kirk did it first, so everyone should be able to do it too. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As if the somewhat hostile races might be kept off the list, just remember that many of those hostile races have worked with the factions as part of the story line AND a number are now DOFFs already. For example there are Breen members of many of our crew as part of the Breen story arc. Also, the Vaadwar had a complex story line in the recent Delta arc. Wouldn't there be one or two who might cross over to one of the factions?

Doesn't matter. They're not friendly or cooperative at character creation, in 2409 before any of those events have occurred. The Talaxians are already bad enough, they shouldn't be anywhere near the Alpha/Beta Quadrants in 2409.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    KDF should have their females filled in...female Nausicaan, Lethean, and Gorn...lets finish that before we add new races.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As it was explained to me, the problem there is that female characters are hard-coded to use the female bodies/skeletons. So all our female Gorn would have a set of very... mammalian "bumps", which look silly enough on Saurians. :p

Me, I just make my female Gorn larger than the males (per a fair amount of soft canon) and without the crest. It's not my problem, or your business, that you can't easily tell the difference.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't see Photonic Being on that list.

Nor do I see expanded Borg races for LTS owners and bonus cosmetic Borg wear to make your Boffs look like Borg for personal roleplay reasons (few people will ever see your away team outside of ground BZ or Nimbus anyway).

I'd like to create a Borg Reman, Borg Andorian, Borg Nausicaan, Borg Vulcan, and so on.
    I've said this million times, but the Borg implants should be a costume unlock useable on any species and alien-gen, once it has been unlocked through LTS subscription. They're, after all, nothing more than a fancy costume unlock. It'd also save the devs work with making more special-species, for each Liberated Borg separately, if they treated it like a costume unlock.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    KDF should have their females filled in...female Nausicaan, Lethean, and Gorn...lets finish that before we add new races.
    We don 't even know if the Lethean race has any females since we don't know how Letheans come to be. We do know that Letheans are a male-centric race since there has only been one Lethean shown on screen, in DS9. The same can be said of the Nausicaans as well. Perhaps that's the reason why there are no female Nausicaans or female Letheans.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We don 't even know if the Lethean race has any females since we don't know how Letheans come to be. We do know that Letheans are a male-centric race since there has only been one Lethean shown on screen, in DS9. The same can be said of the Nausicaans as well. Perhaps that's the reason why there are no female Nausicaans or female Letheans.

So? to the best of my knowledge we never saw Reman, Saurian, Pakled, or Tellarite females on screen yet Cryptic had no problem at all creating them.

It's more like that Cryptic never gave a damn about the KDF so they didn't bother to even try.
  • Options
    nyasayanyasaya Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015

• Horta

A few of those should have been a relatively easy add. Give older players something to really draw them to create new characters.

Next years April fools, make it so! :D :P
    LEmWhkGA.gif