test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan RP Issues

tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Romulan Discussion
This is something that has bugged me for a long time. Since I started roleplaying Romulan. Our faction is not only hurt by cryptic forcing us to operate in gameplay under the aegis of the Feddies and Klinks, but we are also divided by ourselves.

The way I see it, the Romulan RP playerbase is divided between two groups. Those who align themselves with the Republic, for whatever reason, and those who align themselves with the RSE, for whatever reason. Both sides have become vitriolic and antagonistic due to long standing arguments.

Soooo.....

What I would like to see is Romulans rping together. Republicans and Imperialists coming together somewhere to rp together....treaties, negotiations, perhaps even "enemy of my enemy" stuff against groups that both sides would fight, such as everyones favorite Iconian groupies, the Tal Shiar, or the Iconians themselves. RPing by ourselves just seems like pointless indulgence of fantasies, since the opposition is choreographed and invariably loses.

So let's talk about how to make these things work. We need to come together as Romulan fans and tell Romulan stories.

And please, no Republic vs. Empire debating, no name calling, no politics. That happens elsewhere all too often. This is about establishing common ground for mutual rp.
3T6cHqb.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    RPing by ourselves just seems like pointless indulgence of fantasies, since the opposition is choreographed and invariably loses.
    this is the fundamental flaw with trying to RP at all in a computer based environment :/ Whatever you do matters not as the game will go its own way w/o your RP and 9 times out of 10 you aren't allowed to do what you(or your character) would do in any given situation anyway
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Im not referring to rping in the context of the game missions. I mean direct rp. Meet someplace and talk. Rp space combats and such. We don't even have to play the missions.

All you need is a few people who want to rp as Romulans, and something for them to do.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • megatronis1megatronis1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tolmarius wrote: »
    This is something that has bugged me for a long time. Since I started roleplaying Romulan. Our faction is not only hurt by cryptic forcing us to operate in gameplay under the aegis of the Feddies and Klinks, but we are also divided by ourselves.

The way I see it, the Romulan RP playerbase is divided between two groups. Those who align themselves with the Republic, for whatever reason, and those who align themselves with the RSE, for whatever reason. Both sides have become vitriolic and antagonistic due to long standing arguments.

Soooo.....

What I would like to see is Romulans rping together. Republicans and Imperialists coming together somewhere to rp together....treaties, negotiations, perhaps even "enemy of my enemy" stuff against groups that both sides would fight, such as everyones favorite Iconian groupies, the Tal Shiar, or the Iconians themselves. RPing by ourselves just seems like pointless indulgence of fantasies, since the opposition is choreographed and invariably loses.

So let's talk about how to make these things work. We need to come together as Romulan fans and tell Romulan stories.

And please, no Republic vs. Empire debating, no name calling, no politics. That happens elsewhere all too often. This is about establishing common ground for mutual rp.

Why not. it's about time to put the hate away. With all the players rping by themselves and labeling the other side 'da bad guys' like you said they automatically hit the 'I win' Button.
    it makes for boring rp unless making a cookie cutter character appeals to people.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Interesting. Perhaps there should be a name for this endeavour?
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
    edited March 2015
    bltrrn wrote: »
    Interesting. Perhaps there should be a name for this endeavour?

Do we need a title? Other then Romulans?
    3T6cHqb.png
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Do we need a title? Other then Romulans?

Good point.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Neat idea. There aren't many places for that kind of stuff to go on, mind you. We're pretty limited as to what Romulan places we can hang around.

Best location for that kind of RP would be the Flotilla, because it's:

- a Romulan/Reman-only location
    - not New Romulus itself, so it's not jaded by being on Republic soil
    - on a ship, which we often see as good semi-neutral meeting place in Trek
    - a place that both Fed- and KDF-alligned players can be

As for a name... the Romulan Accords?
  • giohaxgiohax Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lolrp

/10charslolrp
    edited April 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Neat idea. There aren't many places for that kind of stuff to go on, mind you. We're pretty limited as to what Romulan places we can hang around.

Best location for that kind of RP would be the Flotilla, because it's:

- a Romulan/Reman-only location
    - not New Romulus itself, so it's not jaded by being on Republic soil
    - on a ship, which we often see as good semi-neutral meeting place in Trek
    - a place that both Fed- and KDF-alligned players can be

As for a name... the Romulan Accords?

Good idea. It also has rather nice seating areas with nice space views. Plenty of room, etc. We just need more people willing to give it a shot.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As tolmarius is aware, the Tal Diann fleets are working on an idea to implement something like this, but until we have a framework in place with guidelines and the like, revealing more would be premature.
    edited April 2015
    Good idea. It also has rather nice seating areas with nice space views. Plenty of room, etc. We just need more people willing to give it a shot.

Count me in, sounds like fun.

All in-character / RP smack arounds aside, I've had a lot of fun on the Romulan boards. It's honestly the best place to be on these forums - players actually enjoying and engaging with the game :eek:
    protogoth wrote: »
    As tolmarius is aware, the Tal Diann fleets are working on an idea to implement something like this, but until we have a framework in place with guidelines and the like, revealing more would be premature.

Would it be wise to have an organization so closely tied into Republic intelligence / internal security be the lead organization, though? I feel this is an opportunity to cast the net a little wider than that. As a Republic Romulan, I have no personal problem with the Tal Diann taking a lead role here, but I worry that it would cast a shadow of doubt in the eyes of those from the RSE. Romulans and Remans from the Tal Diann are important to this effort as individuals, but probably just as that - individuals, outside of the Tal Diann banner.

That said, if the Tal Diann is planning to push forward something like this, the more open the planning can be, the better it would look to all interested parties.
    edited April 2015
    What I am advocating here is not the exact same thing, but a parallel development. It a push to get other Romulans not involved with the other to at least talk to each other ic.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • darkjediborgdarkjediborg Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yea right, meet at the flotilla for erp? Nah I will remain doing missions and focusing more on being a warrior with my honor intact.
    edited April 2015
    Yea right, meet at the flotilla for erp? Nah I will remain doing missions and focusing more on being a warrior with my honor intact.

If I choose to solidify 'relations' with a newfound ally in the RSE, then that's my choice as a free Romulan. But I have my own ship for that. When this warbird's a rockin'... ;)

/silliness
    edited April 2015
    You might see this as humor Chip, but when the Tal Diann's "masters' start trying to force your alliance you will come to realize how real it is.

But to each their own, I will now back out and leave the decisions to the unfortunate ones Tolmarius and her/his agents try and dupe into their own corruption.

Nuff' said... have fun with the (e)rp on the flotilla. I wish you all well.
  • bostonianbostonian Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You might see this as humor Chip, but when the Tal Diann's "masters' start trying to force your alliance you will come to realize how real it is.

But to each their own, I will now back out and leave the decisions to the unfortunate ones Tolmarius and her/his agents try and dupe into their own corruption.

No means no. Especially when it's punctuated by N'Vok's plasma pistol.
    edited April 2015

First of all, the Tal Diann is a pretty good source of Romulan information. More often than not, their members know what they're talking about when it comes to canon and soft canon references. The debate then comes from what to do with those sources moving forward in the STO universe - the Tal Diann obviously chooses the Republic, but bases that decision as well as it can.

Second of all... "force your alliance"? The heck you talking about? Last I checked, I'm playing a game with a logout button, and where RP influences nothing but your own in-game experience.
    edited April 2015

I can see four possibilities for this ridiculous claim:

1. darkjediborg has confused the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann with the Tal Darim. The Tal Darim is an in-game fleet which bills itself as "an ERP fleet." We are not them. We (Tal'Diann, Tal-Diann, and Lasasam s'Tal'Diann) are not ERP fleets, and we are not even RP fleets. We do welcome and encourage RP within our fleets, but we do not require it.

2. darkjediborg is another pro-RSE/Tal'Shiar malcontent (or sock-puppet for one already known), bent on attacking fleets which are well-known for supporting the Republic.

3. darkjediborg is a troll.

4. darkjediborg is the player who wasted two hours of our time being interviewed as an applicant, left the IRF upon being accepted, was invited into (and accepted the invitation to join) Lasasam s'Tal'Diann, and then stubbornly and blatantly refused to make a uniform in accord with our fleet uniform code, after repeated explanation and request (and exceptional patience on my part without any response from him except that he is stubborn and takes pride in the uniforms he has designed and would be sticking with his own colors), and so he was booted from Lasasam s'Tal'Diann about 30 minutes after he got in. He then said that I would regret booting him, and subsequently accused me of being dictatorial. On the contrary, I am the final authority in our fleets, but I have established a Council, a Steering Committee, and a High Command, in order to avoid making all the decisions myself. I am extremely easy-going, but my easy-going nature has its limits. If you join a fleet, you get a free costume slot. It is intended by the game developers to be used for a fleet uniform, although the devs do not require that it be used for such. The Tal Diann fleets are military organizations. We have uniforms. Our personnel are expected to choose one of the several examples (top only; they are free to select any pants/skirt and footwear they like and have access to) and follow our uniform color code (the pants/skirt and footwear must also follow our uniform color code). Rising in the ranks is the way to earn additional color options. If new recruits refuse to comply, and especially if they make a scene about their refusal, they get booted. In the almost two years of our existence, this was the first time anyone ever blatantly refused to comply with our uniform code (and it happened on Sunday evening). Bringing this puerile attempt to be a rebel into the fora is even more puerile than the refusal itself was.

I am the owner of all three Tal Diann fleets. We are Republic loyalists, and well-known as such. This endeavor of tolmarius is not a Tal Diann project. It is her personal project and under her direction, not mine. While we are doing something similar in our fleets, as I pointed out above, this is not that, as tolmarius pointed out above (although my saying that we are "working on an idea to implement something like this" should have served to indicate a distinction). Obviously, talk of RP between RSE and NRR players is not about forcing any alliance to any side, and those who are not members of our fleets are of course not subject to our rules or our alliance. And again, our fleets are not ERP fleets.
    edited April 2015
    Sorry Gessa, just lol'd hard at your statement I was only a member of the TD for, what was it? 30 minutes? before I was booted nonetheless.

BUt this comes from a fleet where the triad members spread wide for every cadet and recruit they receive within minutes of their acceptance into their fleet.

Take it as you may, Dear Praetor.. but at least the Tal Shiar doesn't bang every new member of theirs they receive.

And its also nice the Tal Shiar doesn't hide their true alliances, House of Beautiful must be proud of their secret brothels they keep.

But as I stated to Tolmarius, all this proves I am a paranoid lunatic. So I did her and your job for you, your erp natures can and will continue since I am sure nobody will ever believe a word I state.

Also remember that your dental masters have me pegged for a sociopath, so take this into account as well.

Peace out.

I wont post again, said my peace.. have fun with your warp capable brothel Gessa.
    edited April 2015
    Sorry Gessa, just lol'd hard at your statement I was only a member of the TD for, what was it? 30 minutes? before I was booted nonetheless.

BUt this comes from a fleet where the triad members spread wide for every cadet and recruit they receive within minutes of their acceptance into their fleet.

Take it as you may, Dear Praetor.. but at least the Tal Shiar doesn't bang every new member of theirs they receive.

And its also nice the Tal Shiar doesn't hide their true alliances, House of Beautiful must be proud of their secret brothels they keep.

But as I stated to Tolmarius, all this proves I am a paranoid lunatic. So I did her and your job for you, your erp natures can and will continue since I am sure nobody will ever believe a word I state.

Also remember that your dental masters have me pegged for a sociopath, so take this into account as well.

Peace out.

I wont post again, said my peace.. have fun with your warp capable brothel Gessa.

Excuse me? Reporting this libel now.
    edited April 2015
    Apparently the truth of what your fleet has become really stings you, doesn't it?
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,281 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Apparently the truth of what your fleet has become really stings you, doesn't it?

Now you're a liar! You clearly said you wouldn't post again!
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited April 2015
    Tolmarius had the same misfortune of faling for the manipulation of Gessa, SFD and HoB when she decided to believe them all about how much I seem to "lie".. funny thing is, they couldn't get it done unless they all teamed up on her/him to make him/hersee things their way.

But lets not take this off topic, continue to discuss the (e)rp on the flotilla.
    edited April 2015
    Oh, it's you, Mysteena. So you can't keep that paranoid phantasy in-game, but now have to bring it to the fora as well?

This person Mysteena went around multiple fleets on a Dental witch-hunt. Ours was one of them. I put up with it longer than I should have, and finally booted her from the fleet. Then she continued the same obsessive paranoia in other fleets.

We are not affiliated or associated with Dental or HoB (and, for what it's worth, HoB is not "a Dental fleet" either).
    edited April 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Oh, it's you, Mysteena. So you can't keep that paranoid phantasy in-game, but now have to bring it to the fora as well?

This person Mysteena went around multiple fleets on a Dental witch-hunt. Ours was one of them. I put up with it longer than I should have, and finally booted her from the fleet. Then she continued the same obsessive paranoia in other fleets.

We are not affiliated or associated with Dental or HoB (and, for what it's worth, HoB is not "a Dental fleet" either).

So! Back to its' original course and speed. How active is Tal'Diann's Fed component on the RP front? I'm shopping around for my new Delta Recruit Romulan.
    edited April 2015
    You can claim this all you want, but I am sure if everyone were to keep an eye on your fleet roster they will notice your fleet is co-lead by dental and hob members..

kinda insanely comical you tend to state I am paranoid when you kicked everyone loyal from your fleet and mysteriously replaced them all with known dentals.

But don't worry, I am sure you will find another way to discredit this all. Just as I stated, I was in your fleet for longer, and contrary to your beliefs my "dental witch hunt" started after I found out you, igloodude and others did all they could to force Tolmarius to believe all I do is use and abuse people. Yet if you speak to most that know me, they will state the very opposite.

Have fun with your lies and deceptions, but as I stated.. this witch hunt started after Tolmarius admitted to what you and igloodude tried to convince her/him of as well as others I have known.

Might want to get your facts straight.

btw why did you and spass break up? I bet he too found out the truth between yourself, hob and sfd.
    edited April 2015
    Excuse me, folks, but I'm going to respond to this one more time.
    You can claim this all you want, but I am sure if everyone were to keep an eye on your fleet roster they will notice your fleet is co-lead by dental and hob members..

kinda insanely comical you tend to state I am paranoid when you kicked everyone loyal from your fleet and mysteriously replaced them all with known dentals.

But don't worry, I am sure you will find another way to discredit this all. Just as I stated, I was in your fleet for longer, and contrary to your beliefs my "dental witch hunt" started after I found out you, igloodude and others did all they could to force Tolmarius to believe all I do is use and abuse people. Yet if you speak to most that know me, they will state the very opposite.

Have fun with your lies and deceptions, but as I stated.. this witch hunt started after Tolmarius admitted to what you and igloodude tried to convince her/him of as well as others I have known.

Might want to get your facts straight.

btw why did you and spass break up? I bet he too found out the truth between yourself, hob and sfd.

Listen, moron. Our leadership is the same as it has been since before you were booted, with one exception, who left on his own. None of our Council, including myself, is in Dental or any fleet generally associated with them.

I didn't kick anyone from my fleet except two people with emotional issues (one of which was you), and more recently, someone who insisted on not making a fleet uniform. We have lost about the same number of people who left by their own will, but in fact, some of the people who left us on their own volition have returned. There are no known Dentals in any of my fleets, and indeed, if you were to see my ignore list, you would see that it is primarily composed of spammers and members of SFD. I advised you to put them on ignore if they bothered you, but you wanted to continue your delusions, so whatever they have done to you was brought on you by you yourself.

You were already trying to find Dentals in Scarlet Veil before you ever asked to join Tal'Diann. I was there on Drozana when you were trying to get Velarius to investigate Scarlet Veil. According to them, you did the same thing in other fleets before that. Now, Scarlet Veil is, or so I am led to believe by those who interact with them, an ERP fleet. None of our fleets are ERP fleets. The person you seem to think you are defending, tolmarius, is third in command of our Fed-allied fleet, and third in command of our KDF-allied fleet. She is also on the faculty of our Academy fleet. Until I asked her just now, I had no idea who igloodude was. I don't know him and I have never even seen him, afaik.

Spasssky and I broke up numerous times before the final breakup. The reasons are none of your business and none of the business of anyone else except him and me, but they don't have anything to do with Dental, nor do they have anything to do with the way I lead our fleets.

It is a pity that there is no way to put someone on ignore in the fora. After I kicked you, you proceeded to PM and mail me in-game, with further claims of Dental infiltration of my fleet, and apologies, and pleadings to be forgiven and so on, until I had no choice but to put you on ignore.
    edited April 2015
    You're too cute, I am no moron.. but have it your way. Check your facts, idiot. But I don't have time to debate with children like yourselves.

and wtf is scarlet veil? sorry but that is the first time I have ever heard of that one. Yet you also claim to not "dictate" your own fleet, but you sure have this insane ability to try and break up friendships of your fleet members that you disprove of.

as for the return of certain members, one I know of being symakhos was booted for treason against your own fleet.. so why is he back? especially since he too has been seen inside the fleets listed by myself.

You seem to be stuck on some fleet named scarlet veil, once again I have never heard of them.. so this is too comical. and right, you know nothing of igloodude but yet I am sure in one of your images on your steam page you seem to speak with him, its also interesting that your steam photos seem to show YOURSELF often doing all you can to hang around dentals.

You claim I repeatedly pm'd you? kinda funny since I was too busy dealing with the problems of those I know and have remained loyal this entire time, but do try and get your facts straight.

And when did I state I am trying tom defend Tolmarius? don't remember that one, altho I do remember putting him/her on the spot as well.. oh well.
    edited April 2015
    You're too cute, I am no moron.. but have it your way. Check your facts, idiot. But I don't have time to debate with children like yourselves.

To be fair, you're not putting forward any facts yourself. Just casting aspersions. If you HAVE facts, I'd certainly be interested. You also claim no time to debate with Protogoth, but you also keep responding.
    edited April 2015
    bostonian wrote: »
    So! Back to its' original course and speed. How active is Tal'Diann's Fed component on the RP front? I'm shopping around for my new Delta Recruit Romulan.

Our Fed-allied fleet is still youngish, but several members are serious RPers. If you would like an interview, feel free to add me in-game. My global is the same as here.