test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A couple Suggestions on how Cryptic/PWE can make TONS of Money.

weaver936weaver936 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
In most MMO's (AFAIK) it's the PvPers that pay into the game hand over fist. In order to reach the top in ranking or take over Pvp areas they will pay for the very best gear. Unfortunately in STO PvP is almost ENTIRELY pointless, except for bragging right amongst friends.. MAYBE.

Also, Vanity Items are very popular too. Clothing, Special Mounts, even Emotes. In STO, this is already fairly popular amongst the Player base.

So, here are my suggestions. For PvP, the Devs can make an open area of Space (perhaps in an unexplorered area od space like the Delta/Gamma Quadrants where areas are Static (not instances or Qued) and Controllable by the player base. Place in these Zones resoruce nodes (planets or whatever) that produce amounts or Dilithium, Commodites, Prisoners, Weapons, ships, or whatever else might be of interest to Players enough to provoke them to work together to control these zones. Making the zones only controllable by Fleets would make Fleets a more neccessary element to the game as well, which would help with Cryptic/PWE making money too.

For the Vanity Items type stuff I have another suggestion. How about expanding into the Civilian Life aspect of the Star Trek Universe? Marriage, Off-Duty activities, other aspects of our Duties as Tactical, Engineering, Science Officers. I think the success of games like The Sims or Business Simulators etc is a good example of how people aren't always just into combat. However, like with the Accolades system, there could be some Accolades available as a reward for Civilian Achievements that strengthen a character's abilities in combat.

I know that before i ever seriously consider getting a Lifetime Membership, I would want something that would take a good long time to accomplish... such as being able to have a life outside of the Grind that the game is now or being able to for a fleet that actual has a purpose... especially if it is to fight against other players and dominate them to control territory.

What do you all think about my ideas here?
Post edited by weaver936 on

Comments

• Options
    gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    no in most mmo's people who pvp work hard ingame for their gear, they don't dump tens of thousands into a money pit of fire

at most they pay a subscription which is the way it should be, this pay pay pay mentality is whats ruining gaming imo
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    weaver936 wrote: »
    In most MMO's (AFAIK) it's the PvPers that pay into the game hand over fist. In order to reach the top in ranking or take over Pvp areas they will pay for the very best gear. Unfortunately in STO PvP is almost ENTIRELY pointless, except for bragging right amongst friends.. MAYBE.

Also, Vanity Items are very popular too. Clothing, Special Mounts, even Emotes. In STO, this is already fairly popular amongst the Player base.

So, here are my suggestions. For PvP, the Devs can make an open area of Space (perhaps in an unexplorered area od space like the Delta/Gamma Quadrants where areas are Static (not instances or Qued) and Controllable by the player base. Place in these Zones resoruce nodes (planets or whatever) that produce amounts or Dilithium, Commodites, Prisoners, Weapons, ships, or whatever else might be of interest to Players enough to provoke them to work together to control these zones. Making the zones only controllable by Fleets would make Fleets a more neccessary element to the game as well, which would help with Cryptic/PWE making money too.

For the Vanity Items type stuff I have another suggestion. How about expanding into the Civilian Life aspect of the Star Trek Universe? Marriage, Off-Duty activities, other aspects of our Duties as Tactical, Engineering, Science Officers. I think the success of games like The Sims or Business Simulators etc is a good example of how people aren't always just into combat. However, like with the Accolades system, there could be some Accolades available as a reward for Civilian Achievements that strengthen a character's abilities in combat.

I know that before i ever seriously consider getting a Lifetime Membership, I would want something that would take a good long time to accomplish... such as being able to have a life outside of the Grind that the game is now or being able to for a fleet that actual has a purpose... especially if it is to fight against other players and dominate them to control territory.

I stopped at the TC idea.

Right now the story pretty much kills that dead. Maybe once the Iconians are gone we can start fighting over the scraps.
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's what PvPer's claim.. lol. "I haven't put a dime into game a kicked your butt, Noob". They don't want to be known as a wallet warrior.

And about the Storyline, there are always privateers or Mercinaries... Upstart Empires etc. Perhaps we could have the option of being Independant in open space... locked into how we started (KDF/Fed) or maybe not. But once we go Independant you can enter back into Civilized Space without taking a chance of being caught by the authorities and penalized.. lol. Would be interesting.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These sort of ideas have been given before over the years.

There was one attempt made to update PvP a couple years ago (2012, maybe?). A new area-control PvP mechanic was tested out on Tribble, but it was completely scrapped after one iteration of testing. It was on one update, then removed the next. I don't recall the Devs explained why or what happened other than "it didn't work and we need to rework it" or similar. It was never brought up (by them) again and never came close to making to Live.

That was the last progress I ever actually saw regarding PvP since the last changes back in 2010-2011, right after the game launched.

As for your vanity requests, they do a pretty regular job of adding pets, costumes, and other such superficial non-combat stuff. Most of it is Lobi/Zen/Event related. I doubt they'll ever really make a mechanic out of off duty things like you mention, though. I'm not against it, mind you, but good luck.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These sort of ideas have been given before over the years.

There was one attempt made to update PvP a couple years ago (2012, maybe?). A new area-control PvP mechanic was tested out on Tribble, but it was completely scrapped after one iteration of testing. It was on one update, then removed the next. I don't recall the Devs explained why or what happened other than "it didn't work and we need to rework it" or similar. It was never brought up (by them) again and never came close to making to Live.

That was the last progress I ever actually saw regarding PvP since the last changes back in 2010-2011, right after the game launched.

As for your vanity requests, they do a pretty regular job of adding pets, costumes, and other such superficial non-combat stuff. Most of it is Lobi/Zen/Event related. I doubt they'll ever really make a mechanic out of off duty things like you mention, though. I'm not against it, mind you, but good luck.
    IIRC it was the possibility of griefing. Plus the fact everyone spawned in the same location. I argued on the forums about griefing (since it was low levels going up against possible level 50's) but apparently, the idea was scrapped.

To bad too. I liked flying in, attacking federation convoys trying to avoid the high level ships in my little lt cmdr bop. :(
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015

And about the Storyline, there are always privateers or Mercinaries... Upstart Empires etc. Perhaps we could have the option of being Independant in open space... locked into how we started (KDF/Fed) or maybe not. But once we go Independant you can enter back into Civilized Space without taking a chance of being caught by the authorities and penalized.. lol. Would be interesting.

If an "Independent" faction became a true 3rd faction there would not be enough water in all of the Milky Way Galaxy to stop the Romulan fire. If there was one thing to bring Republican and Imperial players together it would be that.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015

klingon war is done, the romulan republic has risen from the ashes of the imperial romulan empire, the cardassians are no threat, the breen as always are an enigma, the borg are contained, 8472 are not a threat for now. all of which means that a lot of the conflict is over, pvp is a dead object that is being flogged around and poked with a stick, guess the animal in question.

as for the fluff stuff that you are looking at, cryptic dont have the time for it or the resources from what little i am able to gather on the subject. and this is a trek game not a second life clone.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    klingon war is done, the romulan republic has risen from the ashes of the imperial romulan empire, the cardassians are no threat, the breen as always are an enigma, the borg are contained, 8472 are not a threat for now. all of which means that a lot of the conflict is over, pvp is a dead object that is being flogged around and poked with a stick, guess the animal in question.

as for the fluff stuff that you are looking at, cryptic dont have the time for it or the resources from what little i am able to gather on the subject. and this is a trek game not a second life clone.

Well they could go with the ready "this is just a combined fleet war game." That way it's simply treated as like I said war games and just for "training". How you get around the whole war thing.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    Well they could go with the ready "this is just a combined fleet war game." That way it's simply treated as like I said war games and just for "training". How you get around the whole war thing.

a war games simulation? those dont happen very often, or shouldnt happen very often, with the iconian war starting up, but how does a war games simulation help klingons, romulans or federation to defeat the iconians by fighting each other? it would be like trying to compare a carrot to a warp core.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    a war games simulation? those dont happen very often, or shouldnt happen very often, with the iconian war starting up, but how does a war games simulation help klingons, romulans or federation to defeat the iconians by fighting each other? it would be like trying to compare a carrot to a warp core.

Teach basic tactics and you can learn how the other side operates and such (in game canon) and it's always good to train with someone you've never trained with before.

Good example is RIMPAC exercise the USN hosts every few years, but we just have an ongoing war game so captains and admirals can sharpen up their command skills.

Hell could even call it a multi national Top Gun.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    Teach basic tactics and you can learn how the other side operates and such (in game canon) and it's always good to train with someone you've never trained with before.

klingons and the federation have fought for a long time, even at peace with them once, same with the romulans, they all know each other tactics. that still doesnt explain trying to fight the iconians who may have powers and abilities that you would of never seen before, i dont see how fighting klingons would help understand how an iconian would fight, comparing a carrot to a warp core.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's a lie as far as costumes and superficial non-combat stuff go.

Cryptic literally sucks at catering to the RP'ing side, the STO Barbie dress up element. When was the last time they updated the C-Store with simple 5 USD clothing unlocks? When was the last time they let us pay them for adding new make up options, extra facial designs, or even hair packs by charging us a little 5 (a few costumes) or 10 USD (20 new hairstyles; 10 with natural animation when idle, running, or emoting for example) per bundle?

People have long been clamoring for costumes/clothing/styles that exist in foundry, and even those locked out of foundry but in the game (during the tailor bugs that allowed players to completely access all attire and customization options).

Yet Cryptic has time and again ignored or refused to do so. There's several notable threads in the art section of this forum that lists all the things missing or not available to us that should have long been available by now, even if it cost extra.

Heck, this Delta Recruitment is a perfect time to go back and sell access to those tailor options that already exist and are used by NPCs (since they and the player characters were all affected by the updated character creation code). Don't want to give the full Tal Shiar set away? Sell the rest of it. Don't want to give away the Kobali uniform again? Sell it. Don't want to add more hairstyles for free? Sell it.

It's frankly ridiculous how limited STO's character customization is.

On the pet side of things, they're a little better, but not by much. Players have been wanting terran dogs, Romulus Vivver cats and Armored Hathams, and other creatures in combat form, as well as smaller less-aggressive pets in non-combat form. The last pets we got were cats and micro-Vaadwaur tanks.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    klingons and the federation have fought for a long time, even at peace with them once, same with the romulans, they all know each other tactics. that still doesnt explain trying to fight the iconians who may have powers and abilities that you would of never seen before, i dont see how fighting klingons would help understand how an iconian would fight, comparing a carrot to a warp core.

Never said I was comparing the two. How did you leap to that anyways. By your analogy Top Gun program should of yielded the jump in kill ratio during Vietnam because pilots were not flying against migs.

All I am saying it's a good place in canon to practice tactics face those you haven't faced before, learn and sharpen fighting skills, never a bad thing is it?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While cryptic indeed wants ALL the money,

They don't have anyone on staff that thinks anyone outside of staff could have a good idea about something.

Unless they think of it themselves, it's considered rubbish.

I suggest repeated posts on other media such as Twitter and Facebook until they "think of it themselves."