test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anybody else getting extreme lag?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
Servers are up! But from the chat it looks like there is some pretty serious lag. Anybody else?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Servers are up! But from the chat it looks like there is some pretty serious lag. Anybody else?

maybe the kids are trying the adjusted reward system? We will find out when the first rant threads start.

But from my experiences, each time short before and short after a patch, threre is much server stress.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Could be from too many people logging on at once. If it's still lagging horribly in an hour then it might be a problem.

Still patching myself though, so I can't really say if it's lagging at all, for me at least. Well, I say 'still patching', it's only been like 30 seconds.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Could be Cogent............. but the staff is absolutely 100% sure it is your fault.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I very, very rarely experience lag of any kind when playing STO. No one in my fleet or various chat channels I belong to experience lag. Were it "Cryptic's fault", then everyone would be impacted, not just you.

You can keep repeating "it's Cryptic's fault" from now until the end of time. It's not going to make it any more or less true.

*giggles*

you're full of it.

A lot of people, especially Europeans experience lag. Too many people experience it to be our own fault or our own IP

now stop trolling
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lag can be worse than usual ? how is taht even posible ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I very, very rarely experience lag of any kind when playing STO. No one in my fleet or various chat channels I belong to experience lag. Were it "Cryptic's fault", then everyone would be impacted, not just you.

You can keep repeating "it's Cryptic's fault" from now until the end of time. It's not going to make it any more or less true.

Really? You must be extremely lucky. I have had consistent lag for over 3 months now so bad I cannot play the game. I guess the nodes going down in Europe were somehow the players fault. I guess that all the reports that players filed are imaginary. I would invite you to search the word LAG on the forums and see exactly how many threads there are about this issue. I have done everything on my end possible to make sure it isn't my ISP. I even went so far as to spend thousands on a new computer to no avail. Funny how I don't have the lag problem outside of this game. Don't assume because you are not currently suffering from the problem that it doesn't exsist.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Disagreeing does not equal trolling. Saying that I'm "full of it" is trolling though.

I can't help it if you are getting lag where you live with the service provider you have no more than Cryptic can. There are any number of reasons why there can be an issue in the connection between your computer and Cryptic's servers, all of which are outside the control of both.

What do you expect them to do? Run a cable direct to your house?

well, considering that the large majority of people... the large majority... are complaining of lag... it means STO's getting throttled... a lot of people have done that trace thing and confirmed that it's Cogent that's throttling STO.

Cryptic can resolve it by dealing with Cogent.
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A high number of rants does not equal a majority having an issue. All it really means is that those that are having the issue and posting those rants are very vocal.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    A high number of rants does not equal a majority having an issue. All it really means is that those that are having the issue and posting those rants are very vocal.

complaints in game, in channel, watching a lot of people rubber band...
    I never said the lag problem doesn't exist. I'm disagreeing that it affects "everyone" and that "Cryptic's servers" are the issue as many here like to bemoan.

Your computer, your ISP and Cryptics servers can be fine and you can still have connectivity issues.

but IP tracing by quite a few people trace it to Cogent... the common denominator
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    And yet.... not everyone is affected by it.
    Does everyone have to be infected with a disease for it to be an epidemic?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    And yet.... not everyone is affected by it.

but a large chunk of people are... it's gotten bad since the anniversary started... really bad

are you nitpicking just to troll or something?

the problem is, a large number of the users are having lag issues... saying "i don't! ha ha! maybe it's you that's having the problem and it's not cryptic's problem" is just being an TRIBBLE...

we have traced it to Cogent. I know why sometimes I lag, because of my IP, but most times it's Cogent!
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As of 9:57AM PT:
    Unable to authenticate: Connection to the account server timed out

I wouldn't call it lag (in my case anyways)..,
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I was playing and stupid computer decided to reboot for an update. Now all I get in the launcher is:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    complaints in game, in channel, watching a lot of people rubber band...

Anecdotal evidence is not real evidence.

but IP tracing by quite a few people trace it to Cogent... the common denominator

And even in these cases, what makes you think that PWE/Cryptic can actually do anything about it outside of hunting down another provider capable of supporting their service (which probably isn't an option)?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So now sometimes your IP is the cause.... I thought you were saying it was always Cryptic's server? Or was it always Cogent? Which is it?

why are you putting words in people's mouths when they never said it?

enough with the trolling, it makes you look childish
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So now sometimes your IP is the cause.... I thought you were saying it was always Cryptic's server? Or was it always Cogent? Which is it?

I never denied that there are players out there having lag issues. Pointing out that I and others I play with don't experience lag isn't trolling. It's refuting the incessant claims that it's Cryptic's server.

He got called on the BS, so now he's backpedalling. :P
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    no lag for me, i'm from western europe
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    what makes you think that PWE/Cryptic can actually do anything about it outside of hunting down another provider capable of supporting their service (which probably isn't an option)?

Uh, sorry bro but ever heard of the cost of doing business? There are other options as far as ISP's go but they do cost more. You get what you pay for and that is COGENT and crappy service. The problem is when enough players say TRIBBLE it and Cryptic loses the profitable player base. Then it will be too late and they will not have enough income to facilitate a change to fix the problem. Any first year business student sees the need for fixing the issue.
  • Options
    dargalanddargaland Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tucana66 wrote: »
    As of 9:57AM PT:

I wouldn't call it lag (in my case anyways)..,

DITTO!!

And yes lag has gotten worse since the anniversary event. Was better after the winter event then...........who knows!!
  • Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have been getting massive lag today only and I got booted and can't reconnect
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Uh, sorry bro but ever heard of the cost of doing business? There are other options as far as ISP's go but they do cost more. You get what you pay for and that is COGENT and crappy service. The problem is when enough players say TRIBBLE it and Cryptic loses the profitable player base. Then it will be too late and they will not have enough income to facilitate a change to fix the problem. Any first year business student sees the need for fixing the issue.

Using your own argument strategy here, so bear with me.

With all of the ranting about "money grab" and "closing their wallets", do you really think the company is going to spend more money on getting another provider when they're making less?
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The issue seems to be coming from trait/starship traits/specialization combination.

I do lag except Whenever I clear the traits/starship traits, lag disappear.

Seems to be like the Radiant Cloud +Reactive repair nanites lag before.

thats why there are people who lag and people who dont experience lag.

And it doesnt seem to just come from one player but a group of players using the same combination of traits. What combination is hard to tell since testing one trait and one starship trait doesnt seem to be pinpointing it.

So it is most likely a combination of multiple traits + starship traits +specialization.

The one's not experiencing lag most likely dont use those traits and anyone they play with.

The lag also seems to be Space centered since I tested ground and doesnt experience any lag whatsoever.

But if I were to make an educated guess, base on my experience lag started roughly around anniv, Most likely its a group of any of the new traits, specialization and starship traits including fixes regardless if its trait or weapon since Feb 2015 played by group using that.

So in order for those not experiencing any lag, they need to replicate the builds and situation of those lagging in order for them to experience lag. Because I have replicated no lag Space mission just by my group clearing up my traits and starship traits and using pre anniv specializations.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Using your own argument strategy here, so bear with me.

With all of the ranting about "money grab" and "closing their wallets", do you really think the company is going to spend more money on getting another provider when they're making less?

The Korean business model is to grab the cash and let the game suffer till it folds. Successful business models show reinvestment brings in less cash but provides a steady source of income. So they have a choice keep putting out lousy product and go out of business or fix it.