test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Doffing and Spec Grinding through Gateway!

chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/19/lineage-opening-its-first-subscription-server-in-china/

If this is successful, would you guys like a more functional Gateway where you can doff and grind out spec points hi hi hi...

and have perks for subscription (to make subscriptions relevant again)?

I would but then again im biased cause i got an LTS already...what do you think?
Post edited by chandlerashari on

Comments

• Options
    historynerd1historynerd1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This would definitely make the lifetime subscription worth something. Such a shame the Captain's Table stinks, which this could fill that void.

However, the way STO is built I don't think it would be easy now to revert back to a pre-free-to-play state. You'd have to cap everything off right now and create new content exclusively for subscribers. For instance, make the new cap level 70 or higher and keep the free-to-play players at level 60 until they buy a subscription. Also, you'd have to make exclusive content like missions and stfs and gear - it's just too much. Going from a subscription based game to free-to-play seems logistically easier than going the other way around. But I can be wrong.

That said, it would be cool to be sitting in class or at work and keep your doffs on missions just by checking Gateway on your phone. Is this worth a subscription, I don't know, that's in the eye of the beholder. Seeing as how I'm on about 4 hours a day on average I have no problem just doffing and grinding while I'm on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Go and have a wee, the second act gets considerably weirder." -Tim Minchin
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/19/lineage-opening-its-first-subscription-server-in-china/

If this is successful, would you guys like a more functional Gateway where you can doff and grind out spec points hi hi hi...

and have perks for subscription (to make subscriptions relevant again)?

I would but then again im biased cause i got an LTS already...what do you think?

They do this in Neverwinter.. .so it's not like the Cryptic engine can't handle it. Heck Neverwinter has a full mini-game going with your henchmen... so it's very very possible.

It's just that the STO devs don't think it's important.
  • Options
    wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I already grind DOFF missions via my iPad (though I use TeamViewer to do so), but it would be nice to have a dedicated app for it, without the graphic/bandwidth overhead.

I'd sign up in a Klingon minute if there was a native app for Lifetimers.
  • Options
    infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    They do this in Neverwinter.. .so it's not like the Cryptic engine can't handle it. Heck Neverwinter has a full mini-game going with your henchmen... so it's very very possible.

It's just that the STO devs don't think it's important.

this is what I came here to say; Neverwinter has a gateway system that's actually useful and kind of fun.

I'd settle for just being able to run certain doff missions in STO, and reputation/fleet holding projects.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sadly, Geko has stated that this is unlikely to happen. Apparently Cryptic has one "Team" who does ALL the Gateway stuff, and they are not planning on working on STO anytime soon. Something to that effect, anyways. I was really sad when I heard him say that on one of the P1 Podcasts.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure I would like that, I would like that a lot actually.

Unfortunately doffing is for me the top activity for sp progression. I only “need” to log into game for that 1-2 times a day. If I could use the gateway for that I could optimize it greatly while having to log into STO less.

I think the reason cryptic did not nerf the doff system so far is because somehow daily game-login numbers mean a lot for them in some important statistics I’m unaware of. I think this statistic would collapse totally if peeps would not need to log in order to doff.

So atm I hardly see this being executed.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Sure I would like that, I would like that a lot actually.

Unfortunately doffing is for me the top activity for sp progression. I only “need” to log into game for that 1-2 times a day. If I could use the gateway for that I could optimize it greatly while having to log into STO less.

I think the reason cryptic did not nerf the doff system so far is because somehow daily game-login numbers mean a lot for them in some important statistics I’m unaware of. I think this statistic would collapse totally if peeps would not need to log in order to doff.

So atm I hardly see this being executed.
    Sadly, combining this reasoning with Geko's history with the truth sheds new light on his statements about why...

Sad...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    However, the way STO is built I don't think it would be easy now to revert back to a pre-free-to-play state. You'd have to cap everything off right now and create new content exclusively for subscribers. For instance, make the new cap level 70 or higher and keep the free-to-play players at level 60 until they buy a subscription. Also, you'd have to make exclusive content like missions and stfs and gear - it's just too much. Going from a subscription based game to free-to-play seems logistically easier than going the other way around. But I can be wrong.

I don't think the solution would be to limit the free-to-players, but rather to make the subscription look more appealing. For example:
    - Subscribers gain xp at 1.5 times the normal rate.
    - Featured Episode special rewards are always on for subscribers.
    - Subscribers can claim any universal console from a C-Store ship they have already purchased regardless of faction (bonus, incourages subscribers to create a character in a faction they haven't already done so and to purchase ships they haven't already).
    - Starship mastry traits are account wide unlocks for subscribers (again, incourages buying more C-Store ships).
    - Subscribers get first run dilitium rewards on episode replay.
    - Subscribers get a very rare reputation mark item in reputation bonus packages. (For example: run your first Borg content for the day and your bonus package includes one Neural Processor.)
    - Subscribers get early access to new story episodes.
    - Etc.

Don't gate the free players from content, instead make them want to subscribe.
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Iafter reading this thread, im all for bonuses to subs rather than cutting f2p peeps
  • Options
    frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptics license for the IP doesn't allow for browser or mobile based gameplay. When doffs first came out there was a mighty cry for such an app and that was the reason given.

Edit: that restriction doesn't apply with neverwinters IP which is why neverwinter gets to do their missions in the browser.
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cryptics license for the IP doesn't allow for browser or mobile based gameplay. When doffs first came out there was a mighty cry for such an app and that was the reason given.

Edit: that restriction doesn't apply with neverwinters IP which is why neverwinter gets to do their missions in the browser.
    There may be some truth to this, but it isn't 100% accurate or we wouldn't have the Gateway at all.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    There may be some truth to this, but it isn't 100% accurate or we wouldn't have the Gateway at all.

Oh come now, Cryptic said it to deflect criticism so it must be 100% correct. Cryptic has never been ben known to spin facts.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Except the gateway as it stands has no in game functionality so it can't be considered a browser or mobile game. Adding doffing, exchange access, whatever would constitute gameplay and thus is forbidden by their contract.
    Let the stupid suffer
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Except the gateway as it stands has no in game functionality so it can't be considered a browser or mobile game. Adding doffing, exchange access, whatever would constitute gameplay and thus is forbidden by their contract.
    In the Fleet Holdings on Gateway, there are sliders for donating to the holdings. They might be broken, but broken functionality is still an attempt at functionality. Are you saying they were breaking contract when they put those in there? Or did they break them intentionally so that they wouldn't?

I can track down recent instances of Devs giving Gateway as part of the consideration in redesigning the DOff UI. I can even find Geko giving other, more convoluted reasons why Gateway development isn't on the horizon. Both would tend to contradict the idea that Cryptic's contract forbids it.

So, links, please? If it wasn't such a pain to copy/paste links between windows on my phone, which I'm stuck on for now, I'd provide you with my links right now...

ETA: For example, read Branflakes' 1st post in this thread.
    Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    confused, or the link has changed... but it's pointing to a page about "Lineage opening its first subscription server in China"... I see no reference to the Gateway site or DOFF missions... or I'm just not reading it right... LOL

as for the subject... I don't need the extra distraction of webpage to do the doffing... I'm not THAT dedicated to gaming... when I have time I login and update the doffs and knock out any other daily things I want...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    In the Fleet Holdings on Gateway, there are sliders for donating to the holdings. They might be broken, but broken functionality is still an attempt at functionality. Are you saying they were breaking contract when they put those in there? Or did they break them intentionally so that they wouldn't?

I can track down recent instances of Devs giving Gateway as part of the consideration in redesigning the DOff UI. I can even find Geko giving other, more convoluted reasons why Gateway development isn't on the horizon. Both would tend to contradict the idea that Cryptic's contract forbids it.

So, links, please? If it wasn't such a pain to copy/paste links between windows on my phone, which I'm stuck on for now, I'd provide you with my links right now...

ETA: For example, read Branflakes' 1st post in this thread. .

I'm also on my phone and the threads may have been deleted when the forums switched to PWE. I'll look when I get home but if I remember right the quote was back during Dan's first tour of duty.

Logic puzzle for you during the mean time: cryptic is obviously capable of putting in the functionality since never winter has it so copy/pasting the code shouldn't take too much time. If the license didn't prohibit it, why haven't they done it?
    Let the stupid suffer
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    confused, or the link has changed... but it's pointing to a page about "Lineage opening its first subscription server in China"... I see no reference to the Gateway site or DOFF missions... or I'm just not reading it right... LOL
    Odd... it works for me. Regardless, it is a Stickied Topic, found at Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway > STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Logic puzzle for you during the mean time: cryptic is obviously capable of putting in the functionality since never winter has it so copy/pasting the code shouldn't take too much time. If the license didn't prohibit it, why haven't they done it?
    It isn't just a matter of "copy/pasting" as each game has different functionalities and quirks. Also:
    Sadly, Geko has stated that this is unlikely to happen. Apparently Cryptic has one "Team" who does ALL the Gateway stuff, and they are not planning on working on STO anytime soon. Something to that effect, anyways. I was really sad when I heard him say that on one of the P1 Podcasts.
    The last link I provided took multiple edits to make, as the phone browser refreshes each time I switch windows, plus to search this one out, I'll need to track down which podcasts Geko has been in AND find out which one of those he talked about this in, so links may be a while for this one...

ETA: HA!!! My Search-Fu is with me! I think... I believe Episode 208 is the one I'm thinking of. I also happen to still have that loaded on my phone. Listening right now to find a Timestamp...

ETA, pt 2: The questionis raised at the 57 min mark. My earlier recollection of the answer was more accurate than I hoped, although a part I forgot amused me: (This is a paraphrase)
    Geko: I know! I could be walking around, doing my DOffing missions on my iPad...
    Elijah: Or my Android...
    Geko: (Reacting to the mention of Android) Yeah, THAT'S why we aren't doing it...
    Anyways, Geko specifically says that STO has all the systems lined up on their end to do this, it is the Cryptic/Gateway team that is doing "Other Projects" and there is ZERO mention of contract considerations.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015

ROFL, that's news.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary