test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

European Lifetime and Server Maints

voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
Now, I come to see, that maintenance takes the server down each week for multiple hours in European playing time.

Albeit that I understand there are a few more players on the American side, we Europeans are discriminated by this.

We pay the very same amount of money, but get far less playing time seen over a month, 8 hours, yearly this adds to 416 hours roughly, or 17.3'ish days less gaming time.

Why not implement a rotating time for the maintenances?
I, as an European, find the current form not that friendly to us, your allies...

Thoughts?
Remarks?
Do share them, but keep it decent.
Thank you.
Post edited by voivodje on

Comments

• Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Because the maintenance engineers and devs are at work during the hours they do the maintenance.

I'm in the UK, and while it sucks, it's just the way it is, and unless you expect people to work out of hours, it's not likely to change
    animated.gif
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thoughts: they're not going to pay overtime to get server maintenance done outside normal working hours, just to suit our (I'm in the UK time zone) convenience. So I don't see this happening. Unless you're on STO more or less continuously, the "loss of playing time" isn't really significant. And if you are on STO more or less continuously, you could probably do with a break. (I know I could. I spend far too much time in STO.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    maobemaobe Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And as a european you should know and understand that there are workinghours. maintainance usually is made during the time the staff does its normal shifts. rotating these hours may cause major inconveniences which will in first place will cost money. so it maybe is just a question of costs and gains if a maintainance occur during daytime workinghours or deep in the night.
    U.S.S. JUGGERNAUT - Command Science Cruiser
    "Where we are is the front."
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    Now, I come to see, that maintenance takes the server down each week for multiple hours in European playing time.

Albeit that I understand there are a few more players on the American side, we Europeans are discriminated by this.

We pay the very same amount of money, but get far less playing time seen over a month, 8 hours, yearly this adds to 416 hours roughly, or 17.3'ish days less gaming time.

I, as an European, find the current form not that friendly to us, your allies...

Thoughts?
    Remarks?

Thank you.

Thoughts: I'll keep to myself because they aren't nice.

Remarks: This again?? Every week same TRIBBLE, isn't this in the FCT sticky yet?
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    every time...

and everytime it's an european
  • Options
    frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Correct me of my math is off here but 7am Pacific is 3pm GMT right? So the servers will be back up by 6pm GMT. What kind of hours are you all working that the servers aren't down while you are at work? Because the typical work day in America ends somewhere around 5pm. So you should only be losing like maybe an hour of play time. Unless you are a student in which case you aren't being discriminated against any more than students in the US.
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm also in Europe and find that the server is usually up by the time I get home from work, it's just a question of geography really. Changing the times would just push the timeslot into someone/where elses playing time. Makes sense for a US based server to be updated during US working hours. I guess the further east you live the greater the inconvenience.

That's life...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Correct me of my math is off here but 7am Pacific is 3pm GMT right? So the servers will be back up by 6pm GMT. What kind of hours are you all working that the servers aren't down while you are at work? Because the typical work day in America ends somewhere around 5pm. So you should only be losing like maybe an hour of play time. Unless you are a student in which case you aren't being discriminated against any more than students in the US.

though i cant speak for anyone else, Thursdays are my only day off of work so I am being discriminated against :D
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    and everytime it's an european

Obviously? Of course the people actually being affected by it are going to be the ones to complain.

Anyway, it's not gonna happen OP, just find something else to do in the meantime. Read a book, play another game, watch TV, do some gardening I don't know.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    though i cant speak for anyone else, Thursdays are my only day off of work so I am being discriminated against :D

Not to mention everyone who works nights and plays for a few hours before heading to bed in the morning...yet somehow we don't see them here complaining.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Thoughts?
    Remarks?
    Thank you.
    As was stated above, the Maintenance takes place when most of America is asleep/going to work and most of Europe is at work/heading home from work. Only in the most extreme cases is European Prime Time (7-11) interrupted. Based on Dev statements it is the Server's least busy time - thus the least number of people having issues.

The game cannot be responsible for sub-fraction of players who do not live/work normal hours. The people who work nights, or do not work, simply need to cope with maintenance interrupting their lives.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As a fellow European who has to deal with the same "discrimination" as the OP the only thing I can say to him is this;

Get over it! It's only about two and a half to three hours a week most weeks. That's a minor inconvenience at best.

If that happens to be the only time off you have to play the game all week, well I'm sorry, but that isn't cryptic's fault.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    WITHOUT FAIL, EVERY THURSDAY. Sweet jesus this is so old.

Obviously cryptic is doing this because they hate Europeans, and walk around chanting "Long live the American Empire" while maintenance is underway.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thoughts? Gotta happen to some one some where.

Remarks? This again?
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    Not to mention everyone who works nights and plays for a few hours before heading to bed in the morning...yet somehow we don't see them here complaining.

Nightshifters know day-walkers will never understand their plight and just get on with their life.
    jjdez wrote: »
    WITHOUT FAIL, EVERY THURSDAY. Sweet jesus this is so old.

Obviously cryptic is doing this because they hate Europeans, and walk around chanting "Long live the American Empire" while maintenance is underway.

Maybe the next time a certain country gets too big for its britches we should stay on our side of the pond.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015

i wasn't actually complaining i was making a joke, after playing mmo's for years i am used to having to deal with American's and their downtime.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i wasn't actually complaining i was making a joke, after playing mmo's for years i am used to having to deal with American's and their downtime.

Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were complaining, and I got the joke :) Lol I was just mentioning that not once have I seen a Nightshifter complain about the downtime. I wonder if they know they are also being discriminated against? Someone should really let them know!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Thoughts?
    Remarks?
    Thank you.

Because a rotating time would mean that there would be days where they would basicaly intentionally affect more players than if they kept their current time.

It's not about regions, it is about player numbers. The least players are affected in the time frame the maintanance happens.

Aside from that, rotating schedules are messy for everyone involved, since every week will require a different work schedule, taking into account possible night times to possible day time maintanances.

"Oh no, we can't have that meeting in 4 weeks on Friday, 10:00, because on the day before, several team members will have done a night shift for maintanance work."
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I get a few mins to do stuff in the morning and poof there is downtime!!! Dang theses Americans and there filthy maintenance!!!! What's that I'm American well you don't say umm dang. Let's try it again with feeling. DAGOOME THIS CORPORATE GREED WHY YA GOTTA DO THIS WHEN I WANNA PLAY!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S MY GAME AND I'LL CRY IF I WANNA!!!!! That was fun lol I see the appeal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    "Oh no, we can't have that meeting in 4 weeks on Friday, 10:00, because on the day before, several team members will have done a night shift for maintanance work."

...in order to appease those playing during the lowest in-game player volume times."

You forgot that part.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were complaining, and I got the joke :) Lol I was just mentioning that not once have I seen a Nightshifter complain about the downtime. I wonder if they know they are also being discriminated against? Someone should really let them know!
    I have, month or two ago. He even suggested moving the time so that the Europeans could 'suffer' by losing their dawn playtime.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015

im in the uk, and i will ask you this simple question; what is the perfect time to take the server down, please keep in mind othertime zones, their prime times and so on?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The idea was to have a rotating system, it could even be automated.
    Of course, if the system screws up something during the automated maintenance...

A possible way could have been to shift 6hours each time, giving each country the same downtime each month.

Then, I was just thinking out loud.

As to some of you: I noticed the remarks being cynical and sarcastic: let me tell you this: I am crippled, that's OK, I have 5 kids (medical side effect to being cripple) of which 4 go to high school.
    This costs quite a bit.

300 Euro might be pocket money to you, but it isn't to me.
    So, that I have a remark on having 17 days less gaming time per year...
    Yes, to ME this is an issue.
    Not a life threatening one, but still an issue.

Not everyone is as gifted, financially spoken.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Including Cryptic/PWE, hence why they conduct maintenance during the time that will effect the smallest number of their customers and without having to pay any employees overtime.

Everyone is always so quick to claim they are being discriminated or under more hardships than others and often in doing so they discriminate against others in the same fashion and fail to understand other people have hardships as well. Amazing.
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    im in the uk, and i will ask you this simple question; what is the perfect time to take the server down, please keep in mind othertime zones, their prime times and so on?

if steam is right about relative numbers, it would be around european morning. i have some doubts about european prime time being the least busy time on day. steam numbers do not support it and waiting time on pve queues does not support it either.

I guess european prime time is just the best trade off between player numbers and work shifts for devs.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

While I know you're asking the OP, I figured what the heck I'll give you my own response anyway.

I am in the US. I run my business from my home so I can take care of the last two of five kids who aren't in school yet. As far as I'm concerned, and this will be in no way popular, the server can come down at any point in the day or night. I always have something else to do. Whether it's work, or kid stuff, or another game to pass the time. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I always have something else to do. Whether it's work, or kid stuff, or another game to pass the time. ;)

Blasphemy! j/k :)
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The idea was to have a rotating system, it could even be automated.
    Of course, if the system screws up something during the automated maintenance...

A possible way could have been to shift 6hours each time, giving each country the same downtime each month.

Then, I was just thinking out loud.

As to some of you: I noticed the remarks being cynical and sarcastic: let me tell you this: I am crippled, that's OK, I have 5 kids (medical side effect to being cripple) of which 4 go to high school.
    This costs quite a bit.

300 Euro might be pocket money to you, but it isn't to me.
    So, that I have a remark on having 17 days less gaming time per year...
    Yes, to ME this is an issue.
    Not a life threatening one, but still an issue.

Well, I'm sorry that you have a medical condition (genuinely), but it is not relevant here, and it is not cryptic's responsibility to cater to it.

As for the 300 Euro cost, I do agree that that is a serious chunk of change, but it is also a completely optional chunk of change. The augment that "I have payed, so my needs must be met" will never fly here. bringing money into the equation will just make you look entitled.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    I guess european prime time is just the best trade off between player numbers and work shifts for devs.
    Prime time is 7 to 11 (1900 to 2300). The Servers going down from 3-6 (1500 to 1800) is not European prime time. Like in the US, much of Europe has barely returned home from work by the time the Servers come back up.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.