test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The TRUE essence of Star Trek

mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
It seems odd that Cryptic is completely missing out on a golden opportunity to set itself apart for the usual MMO formula of "Bring me XX of TRIBBLE" quests/missions. Since the days of TOS on, part of Trek's appeal has been it's Progressive storylines. Instead of the usual pew pew pew, why not develop a mission that has some sort of contemporary storyline that hints at today's problems (god knows we have plenty to choose from)?
Post edited by mhirtesc on

Comments

• frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And you plan on stopping people from just hitting the "F" key until mission completion how? Put in puzzles or logic traps? That we can then just look up the walk through on the wiki?

Battle and war has always played a major role in star trek. Not every episode was picard yelling at Q or going over some dull moral dilemma
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Battle and war has always played a major role in star trek. Not every episode was picard yelling at Q or going over some dull moral dilemma

You do indeed have 2 good points here... Combat did indeed play a big part, not as much as STO, but a large part...

The second point, do you really think all the kids are gonna care about the moral dilemmas and metaphors Star Trek used to cover real-world topics? No, they'll complain that it's boring and they want more PEWPEWPEW!
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And you plan on stopping people from just hitting the "F" key until mission completion how? Put in puzzles or logic traps? That we can then just look up the walk through on the wiki?

and so has everything the OP brought up. no good reason not to have both.
    as for the people who want to just press F past the so-called "boring" bits, more power to them. let them do so, and let the people who want to read and enjoy the story stop and read and make decisions as desired.

from a practical standpoint, that would likely mean cutting down the rewards for such missions, but they would still be a good part of the game. we've got plenty of great examples of such things done well in the foundry. There is precious little of it in the "official" content, but at least it's not completely devoid of it.

Maybe after all this Iconian stuff is sorted out, we might have an expansion focused especially on exploration, with both action and exploration in good proportions. I'd personally even suggest making exploration an alternative levelling path altogether, though that would be a lot more work.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The TRUE essence of Star Trek

Sleeping with many attractive aliens?

Giving stirring speeches?

Driving computers insane with logic puzzles?

Watching your bridge explode in a shower of sparks while the camera tilts back and forth?

No True Scotsman would disagree!
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Watching your bridge explode in a shower of sparks while the camera tilts back and forth?

you forgot overacting melodrama..... and random crewman dieing for no good reason
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    It seems odd that Cryptic is completely missing out on a golden opportunity to set itself apart for the usual MMO formula of "Bring me XX of TRIBBLE" quests/missions. Since the days of TOS on, part of Trek's appeal has been it's Progressive storylines. Instead of the usual pew pew pew, why not develop a mission that has some sort of contemporary storyline that hints at today's problems (god knows we have plenty to choose from)?

The problem is what made TOS great would be absolutly boring for an MMO... and lets be honest it didn't always work for TOS either (I'm looking at you Space Hippies and God that Needs a Space Ship).

The other issue is... to be honest.. is that to disguss a lot of "today's problems" especially in the "progressive mindset"... you'd alienate a ton of people who aren't progressive. Even Roddenberry admited a lot of the reasons that Star Trek didn't have as large of an appeal as it should have when it was originally released is that it's very hippie progressive mindset turned off... and therefore away... a lot of it's viewership with it's very Progressive mindset.
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    TThe other issue is... to be honest.. is that to disguss a lot of "today's problems" especially in the "progressive mindset"... you'd alienate a ton of people who aren't progressive.

Thank god Roddenberry didn't agree with you, or a lot of TOS Trek episodes would have never been made. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KGE7HYEie0

Roddenberry was the Honey Badger of producing. He didn't give a sh*t what the South would think. He knew that those types of people are not the path to the future.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    TOS was all action-based - Wagon Train to the Stars. They did not have the money for major ship combat but Kirk fought someone nearly every episode - as that was cheap to produce. So TOS was primarily melee pew-pew. Sure there was moral issues, but they were issues that were generally settled at the end of Kirk's fists of phaser.

It grows tiring watching people sugar coat TOS under 10 layers of rose-colored glass.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2015
    Thank god Roddenberry didn't agree with you, or a lot of TOS Trek episodes would have never been made. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KGE7HYEie0

Roddenberry was the Honey Badger of producing. He didn't give a sh*t what the South would think. He knew that those types of people are not the path to the future.

Yep... and Star Trek when it was released sucked in ratings and didn't make CBS that much money.

Not making money is a great way for shows to get cancelled in three seasons.. or MMOs to die even quicker then they do today.

I get it... you're a Progressive and you see Star Trek as a voice for your angst... I can appreciate that.

But a lot of America couldn't care less... and cramming politics down peoples throats is a great way to alienate people... especially in a hyper-competative environment, such as MMOs, where if you don't like it there are literally thousands of games that you can choose from.

It's also why TNG when it was made was in danger of being cancelled because of Rodenberry's "I don't give a damn" attitude and partly why TNG began to get so much better later in its showing in ratings... because it catered to the majority of viewers.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not belittling your beliefs... I'm just saying from a buisiness standpoint... which Cyrptic is... your idea doesn't fly.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Marketing, where the true money is.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe the relevant social issues are just ones we don't want to acknowledge. A militaristic Starfleet whose agenda seems to have become one of warmongering where we lament a loss of innocence and wonder what happened to trying to find peaceful solutions to problems? At the very least the moral high ground has shifted and The Federation of Planets seem to have lost some it's idealism and shine. The game-play may not be what we expected and it obviously is contrived in a manner that lends itself to the MMO genre but I think there is a message there.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe the relevant social issues are just ones we don't want to acknowledge. A militaristic Starfleet whose agenda seems to have become one of warmongering where we lament a loss of innocence and wonder what happened to trying to find peaceful solutions to problems? At the very least the moral high ground has shifted and The Federation of Planets seem to have lost some it's idealism and shine. The game-play may not be what we expected and it obviously is contrived in a manner that lends itself to the MMO genre but I think there is a message there.

It's almost as if the Federation is under attack from all fronts..

ETA: To address the OP, while that'd be neat, it's impratical in the extreme for an MMO.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015

That's honestly more typical for Foundry authors to do than Cryptic. We don't have access to a lot of their VFX tricks so we kinda have to be more reliant on writing a compelling story. I'm writing one right now that's inspired by the current Iraqi Civil War (circa last summer), with the True Way standing in for Da'ish.

You also do have to consider your target audience, as previously stated. "Dust to Dust" did this fairly well, making its main allegory (the shortsightedness of an authoritarian system) optional reading (the consoles in the Vaad catacombs).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm just going to leave this here:

Star Trek goes beyond american borders.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since the days of TOS on, part of Trek's appeal has been it's Progressive storylines.
    Speak for yourself.

Personally, I found that to be what killed the later series.

It worked in TOS, but that was an entirely different era.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Yep... and Star Trek when it was released sucked in ratings and didn't make CBS that much money.

It didn't make CBS any money, because it was broadcast on NBC. CBS had Lost in Space. CBS didn't buy the property until much, much later. 21st century, even, IIRC.
    boldly-watched.png
    edited March 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    It didn't make CBS any money, because it was broadcast on NBC. CBS had Lost in Space. CBS didn't buy the property until much, much later. 21st century, even, IIRC.

You're right... I have CBS on the brain...
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am currently leveling a Fed toon...for some reason on I hit lvl 10 there wasn't another mission to get....so I had to do the patrols to get to lvl 11 so I could pick up the missions...of the five missions I had to do...only two were combat missions.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I look at Delta Rising missions where I'm asked to carry out false flag attacks against my allies in order to make them appreciate us, or to intervene in a war and defend a pack of grave robbers from their outraged victims on Kobali Prime, and I wonder what game the developers think they're writing for. This isn't Star Trek.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    I look at Delta Rising missions where I'm asked to carry out false flag attacks against my allies in order to make them appreciate us, or to intervene in a war and defend a pack of grave robbers from their outraged victims on Kobali Prime, and I wonder what game the developers think they're writing for. This isn't Star Trek.

Reminds me of the few episodes of DS9...the one Sisko nearly wiped out a planet to get the Marquis leader (going from memory) and the one he tricked the Romulans into joining the war.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    posted by fmgtorres1979
    Star Trek goes beyond American borders.

Agreed. Blocs of power are larger than single nations.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Having more thought-provoking story would be ideal for the fans of some of the earlier Trek. For fans who have their first Trek experience with the new movies, maybe they may appreciate the more action-comedy nature? Either way, there are differing opinions on what 'true' Trek is, depending on who you talk to - everyone enjoys it for different reasons, which is a good thing. But that said, there is definitely a lack of socio-political questions being raised.

But I agree, that's near-impossible to pull off in an MMO environment, if only because there's supposed to be a shared experience of the same story for everyone across the game. Case in point, after I found out what the Kobali were up to... yeah, I really wanted to tell 'em right off. But, due to the shared experience factor, there isn't the option for me to abandon the Kobali, while another player helps them. I can understand and appreciate that limit, given that STO is an MMO game.

That all aside, I do appreciate the extra depth the stories have been taking recently. The dialogue and voice acting are enjoyable, even if I can't shape the galaxy the way I personally feel is best. I figure my toon is just following orders when I have to do something like assist the Kobali, despite my own reservations.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    The second point, do you really think all the kids are gonna care about the moral dilemmas and metaphors Star Trek used to cover real-world topics? No, they'll complain that it's boring and they want more PEWPEWPEW!
    More often than not it's shallow and transparent. I'd be bored, too.

Especially given that Hollywood's favorite moral dilemmas at the moment are shallow.
    chipg7 wrote: »
    But that said, there is definitely a lack of socio-political questions being raised.
    But it largely has been raised.

Everyone is on the long, slow march towards joining the Federation, the most perfectest government ever.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the few episodes of DS9...the one Sisko nearly wiped out a planet to get the Marquis leader (going from memory) and the one he tricked the Romulans into joining the war.

And I know Picard on occasion skirted "Star Trek" when it came down to his feelings on the Borg and during the Klingon Civil War.
  • rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not this TRIBBLE again....do we need this discussion to be posted every week?
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rjay1985 wrote: »
    Not this TRIBBLE again....do we need this discussion to be posted every week?

Yes fist fights and sex with anything that stands still long enough is very important... No clue what the rest of em are talking about though.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    People keep forgetting that Star Trek is many different things to many different people. For every moraility tale, there was a fist fight. What's the moral of "The trouble with Tribbles?" Little furballs make the best counter-espionage agents?
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
    edited March 2015
    Little furballs make the best counter-espionage agents?

Ewoks have the same message for you!