test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spring Event?

nabreekinabreeki Member Posts: 2,657 Arc User
I think it's safe to say that the Winter/Summer events are both times when people who haven't logged on for a significant amount of time return to the game. In my own fleet, there are a number of players that only come back to STO during these events, and I would not be surprised if this is true across the wider playerbase.

Barring the few weeks after major content releases, I'm guessing that these seasonal events not only attract players gone astray, but probably bring in some of the highest concurrent player populations of the year. While people complain about the winter/summer "grinding," many of us find the events both enjoyable and a break from the (lack of) regular endgame content.

While I can't telepathically read the STO metrics straight from Gecko's brain, I'm also guessing that these events also bring in enough money to make said events' expansion worthwhile years after year, as we've seen both the summer resort map and the winter wonderland map grow in the past six months.

So here it is: Captialize on this, Cryptic! Make us a SPRING EVENT.

I'm thinking Mardi Gras and Easter rolled into one; give us bizarre, flashy costumes, sector-wide easter egg hunts, easter baskets filled with new commodity items (chocolate bunnies), new party items (the last party popper was pretty stale), bright colors -- the whole works. It'd be great to introduce squirt guns or "throwable" easter eggs (20% chance of making target toon dance for 90 seconds).

If candy companies can make a fortune during this time, then you can as well. Turn these vapid holidays into something worthwhile.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    No, thanks.

Aside from the fact that you'd have Winter Event/Anniversary Event/Spring Event/Summer Event running concurrently, with possibly a season launch somewhere in there... so it's highly implausible...

I do not play STO to build sand castles, shoot snowmen, or throw easter eggs.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just...no! There are already too many events, to the point where I can't just kick back and enjoy foundry missions, premade PvE's with my buds, DSE's, Distress Calls and other general gameplay like the battle zones. As it is, if my fleet wasn't still building holdings, I would have skipped the current CC event and the upcoming MU event... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They already have a Spring Event planned.

It's called the Delta Recruitment Event.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ugh. No to Easter bunnies, colored eggs, and chocolate rabbits in STO. That's just my own personal opinion, mind you, but I expect it to be widely shared.

I don't begrudge Cryptic making money or cashing in, but I think that would be going a little too far. They're not Hallmark or Brachs or Hershey and they don't cater to every single holiday.

Case in point, I'm not aware of Q getting ready to send us all to the Blarney Dimension for St. Patrick's Day.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    ...Case in point, I'm not aware of Q getting ready to send us all to the Blarney Dimension for St. Patrick's Day.

You had to say it, didn't you? Now it's probably going to happen.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    You had to say it, didn't you? Now it's probably going to happen.

Eh. Oktoberfest is more likely.

Oops, opened my big, fat mouth again, didn't I?

Really... They're not going to pander to every single holiday, some of which are not even culturally relevant across STO's player base, or to Star Trek as a whole.

I can see them doing a Spring Event, but I wouldn't expect it to have anything directly to do with Easter.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    No, thanks.

Aside from the fact that you'd have Winter Event/Anniversary Event/Spring Event/Summer Event running concurrently, with possibly a season launch somewhere in there... so it's highly implausible...

I do not play STO to build sand castles, shoot snowmen, or throw easter eggs.

They're the only reasons I bother with STO these days, heady times indeed...
  • phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Eh. Oktoberfest is more likely.

Oops, opened my big, fat mouth again, didn't I?

Really... They're not going to pander to every single holiday, some of which are not even culturally relevant across STO's player base, or to Star Trek as a whole.

I can see them doing a Spring Event, but I wouldn't expect it to have anything directly to do with Easter.

I can't help but think of Bread and Circuses - one of the best and most underappreciated episodes of TOS.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I support this idea, I can go so far to believe the pixel Chocolate bunnies that Cryptic adds to the game would still taste better then the Cadbury eggs Hersheys makes under license.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Personally, I rather have a Halloween Event before a Spring Event. Valentine's Day seems to be another popular MMO event that STO doesn't have.
  • countvampulacountvampula Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that the Winter/Summer events are both times when people who haven't logged on for a significant amount of time return to the game. In my own fleet, there are a number of players that only come back to STO during these events, and I would not be surprised if this is true across the wider playerbase.

Barring the few weeks after major content releases, I'm guessing that these seasonal events not only attract players gone astray, but probably bring in some of the highest concurrent player populations of the year. While people complain about the winter/summer "grinding," many of us find the events both enjoyable and a break from the (lack of) regular endgame content.

While I can't telepathically read the STO metrics straight from Gecko's brain, I'm also guessing that these events also bring in enough money to make said events' expansion worthwhile years after year, as we've seen both the summer resort map and the winter wonderland map grow in the past six months.

So here it is: Captialize on this, Cryptic! Make us a SPRING EVENT.

I'm thinking Mardi Gras and Easter rolled into one; give us bizarre, flashy costumes, sector-wide easter egg hunts, easter baskets filled with new commodity items (chocolate bunnies), new party items (the last party popper was pretty stale), bright colors -- the whole works. It'd be great to introduce squirt guns or "throwable" easter eggs (20% chance of making target toon dance for 90 seconds).

If candy companies can make a fortune during this time, then you can as well. Turn these vapid holidays into something worthwhile.

I agree with you. STO would have to make more ships, tho. I think that's the big draw for players who, after months, log on during summer/winter event.
    Summer/Winter events are not a grind. They breakup the motony of doing same things everyday. Its a reason why you should join a fleet and contribute. You'll get good ships and maybe make some friends along the way.
    I vote yes, except they should have leprecons too, for Saint Patricks day. We could have some uniform options for that too.
    anyway, I agree. but sto will need to offer something big, to get that player base back.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If they want to add Spring and Fall events, I am all for that. At the very least, I would like to see a Lobi Store sale some time soon. Not just the old ships discounted either. The space and ground sets along with pets, uniforms, and so on. Spring sales are always welcome! :D
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Personally, I rather have a Halloween Event before a Spring Event. Valentine's Day seems to be another popular MMO event that STO doesn't have.

Valentine's Day? There are soooooooo many ways to make fun of that here.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I ant an arbor day event where we get a potted plant for the ready room of all our characters who participate. Please get on that Taco!
  • rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We have a spring event...it's the Anniversary event!
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm not going to say they shouldn't do it. It would probably bring real folks in. I just wouldn't want to get caught up in and endless cycle of "sunday! Sundsay! SUNDAY! Monster Trucks in STO!"

I would much prefer they bring back the hourly events.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    apart from winter & summer events we have the anniversary event and the lesser mirror and CC events, plus the occasional mission replay lobi event and people are already complaining there are too many events as it is.

so if they bring in a spring event then why not an autumn event also, we would be heading for event overload, there would be little or no time for regular gameplay as it would be just one long stream of event after event after event.

sure the events are fun but lets face it there is a point where too much of a good thing is bad.
    starkaos wrote: »

I used to think that a Halloween Event would be a good idea but I am just about at my limit as far as events go TBQH.

maybe if it was a very small event like the Friday 13th hearts and minds event it would be ok but a long running event like the winter one that's a definite no no.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Excellent idea OP, and given the connotations of Spring and the recent loss of Mr Nimoy perhaps we could hold such an event on the Genesis planet that mysteriously appears due to Q/temporal/technobabble reasons for just the brief period of the event. We could chase the Easter Epohh for it's chocolate eggs under the orders of the Epohh lady and get even more Epohh friends as well as celebrating life with a host of party themed gear!
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    could i have a special event for my birthday; thx? :D
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »

<place troll bait and idea here>

you add too many events over the year, burn out from grind from such events will only increase, it could backfire much more then you expect. and even with these events active there is still to the matter of the 2 week grind for the special object, so i dont see where it is any different from end game grinding.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If this could be made as a "micro-event" then it'd be something to consider .

By "micro-event" I mean a week long event or grind .
    Not 14 days .
    Not 10 days .
    7 days tops .

... seeing that I'm at the 10th day of the CC grind across multiple toons and I already want to hurl ...
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ... seeing that I'm at the 10th day of the CC grind across multiple toons and I already want to hurl ...
    You're almost there, champ.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You're almost there, champ.

True ... , but any day that I'm glad to log off is not what I call a good day in STO . :)

... plus it's funny that a longer event got me playing more simply because it's more fun then CE ...
  • xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe a Gratitude Festival on Bajor in the spring and a Harvest festival somewhere in autumn?
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    with near empty Qs might as well spam events back to back

poor idea too many events now and most of them are full of bugs
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It wouldn't mention the word "Easter" (just like the Winter event goes out of its way to avoid saying the word "Christmas"), but it could well still have bunnies and chocolate eggs.