test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bug in 'The House Always Wins'

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Or to be more specific, its in the 'all around the mulberry bush' part of the mission

I noticed earlier today (and this ended up happening 3 times) that the freighters you have to destroy in this mission have to be destroyed in order and within the locations on the map where they originally start, or the game doesn't recognize they have been destroyed and thus won't allow you to proceed with the mission. basically you have to catch them quick or you're screwed and have to drop the mission and restart it.

anyways, the devs might want to look into this little problem :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Funny. I just finished it, and I didn't run into this problem.

Admittedly, I was using a Battle Cloak BoP, hitting the stations, cloaking then hunting the freighter on my way to the next comm array.
    edited October 2011
    Just given up on this mission altogether - logged a ticket but no response and now used up my bonus XP token looking for the damn freighters, what a kick in the teeth!
    edited February 2012
    Problem still exists. Just ran into it. Can not locate 3rd freighter, after killing first two and coming back for the third which was at 34% health when I had to respawn. Sad :(
    edited April 2012
    Rhodes85 wrote: »
    Or to be more specific, its in the 'all around the mulberry bush' part of the mission

I noticed earlier today (and this ended up happening 3 times) that the freighters you have to destroy in this mission have to be destroyed in order and within the locations on the map where they originally start, or the game doesn't recognize they have been destroyed and thus won't allow you to proceed with the mission. basically you have to catch them quick or you're screwed and have to drop the mission and restart it.

anyways, the devs might want to look into this little problem :)

Same here...Destroyed freighters 1 and 3 but now can't find freighter 2. quest log recognizes the kills but the freighter is nowhere to be found.
  • tahera1tahera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry to necro this year-old post but this problem still exists. I just hit this again today.

Edit: Correction, for me this issue happened in the "Communication Shutdown" mission of the "House Always Wins" line. Same symptoms...freighters not recognized as killed.

Edit 2: It seems like the freighters make a run for it. It also seems like, if they get to where they're running to, you silently fail. If I make a suicide run for the freighter I can take him out; otherwise it takes me too long to clear the area and he's gone.
  • nods3nods3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm having the same problem. Unable to complete this quest.
  • tahera1tahera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If it helps anyone, I also found you can try to "clear around" the freighter. But don't get too close to it, or it will run. And its fast -- in my bird of prey I had to switch most power to engines just to keep up. And it always runs straight for more bad guys.
    Maybe a really good player could handle this mission as normal, but me I was unable to beat this mission without purposely going Kobayashi Maru on that freighter.
  • rockwelltorreyrockwelltorrey Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just ran into the same problem with this "Communication shutdown" mission.

I killed all the enemy ships, 1 freighter and everything else but the other freighter has disappeared and I spent an hour looking for it but it is nowhere to be found.

This mission is broken and now I have to restart it and hopefully focusing only on the freighters will work.

Very frustrating.
  • zippyfanzippyfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At first I thought the freighter left altogether, but it was still nearby another comm station. The problem is that I can't lock onto it even when it is completely visible.

I don't mind fighting tons of ships to get to it but still, the freighter has to be something I can destroy.

I'm particularly new to this game. I thought the main story line missions went in chronological order... How am I supposed to continue after abandoning this mission?
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i cant find it either
    nerf.jpg]
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i am fuming with this mission, i cant go further, i cant do anything to lvl up other than this mission,

i have no healing my weapons are rubbish.

and i have to fight a freighter that is ridiculously fast and i cant keep up so i cant destroy it. +

on top of that i always get 5 or 6 ppl on me!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

how the hell am i supposed to progress!!!

i cant use cloak because of how long the shields take to recharge. its stupid!
    nerf.jpg]
  • crego44crego44 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Starting playing again after long time. Got to this mission and ran into same problem, not being able to get to one of the freighters.:mad:
  • roughsuperiorroughsuperior Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
  • derekbenakderekbenak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If the freighter gets away, game over, you have to restart.

Also your allies tend to get stuck on objects. You have to be careful to make sure they are still following you.

This NEEDS to be FIXED. I don't understand why it has been a problem for this long.
    Lifetime Member since 2010 (beta)

44057-star-trek-redshirts-the-walkin-Zq2E.jpeg
  • index1985index1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i just finished this mission but i have to replay it 5 times
    and i have the problem with that my kdf klingon does not get any bonus exp
    You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user.
    so this is the way how cryptic is treating players
    and by threating them with ban even permanent one
    if they dont shup up
  • xspazzticxspazztic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just tried it. Spent the last hour clearing everything and I'm parked by the friegher I cannot target.
  • jaimsandarjaimsandar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can't believe this problem in Communication Breakdown still hasn't been fixed!
    I spent many hours on my first attempt, having killed everything but freighter Sirol. I found it, but while attacking it I was in return attacked by 3 or 4 other Torg ships. When clear again, the freighter had disappeared and was nowhere to be found. There is a freighter on the other side of the asteroid group near another station, but it doesn't move and can't be targeted.
    Another attempt, starting over at the beginning of Communication Breakdown I never even found the other Freighter, D'Elon. The same thing as on first attempt happened with Sirol: attacked it only to be interrupted and it was not to be found afterward.

I found an article on http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_House_Always_Wins that describes a bug: if freighter 1 is destroyed before the two satellites, the second freighter won't count.
    That is not the same problem but why is this mission still in the game if it can not be completed without luck and/or requiring ridiculous care taken to do things in a certain order in an environment that makes that nearly impossible because of the large number of enemies so close by?

While I was writing the above text, the anomalies in that area respawned. They did that on earlier attempts at this mission, as well.
    If those can respawn, why can't they make the freighters respawn as well, or never disappear in the first place.

This mission is challenging enough with the large number of enemies, the problems with executing it make it not even fun any more. Shouldn't a game be fun?
    I am SO frustrated, wasting so much time. I am not sure I want to spend the time to try again, I am so mad at this. I was really starting to enjoy this game, too, but now I don't think I'll even keep playing it.
  • mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mudj gets blown up (/psst! hey devs this is marked OPTIONAL.../derp!!!) it FAILS the quest. Also who the hell cares if you have to blow up the damn satalites before blasting either/or/both of the ships trying to escape orbit? And this quest is part of the story progression (slash) questline?

(snip).../temper-tantrum_removed

This quest is honestly the reason why I will probably not roll another Klingon character even for Delta Recruitment. It's just not worth the headache.
  • tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just ran into this bug myself, on my Level 56 General. I hadn't done the revamped missions yet, so I figured I'd give them a shot. Now *this* happens. Ugh. Cryptic, please fix this. I'm mostly a Fed player, but even I know bugs on KDF side go on FAR too long. And if you're trying to get new players in with the Delta Recruits, you're definitely going to want to fix this sooner rather than later.
  • shaeyneshaeyne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tjsinclair wrote: »
    Just ran into this bug myself, on my Level 56 General. I hadn't done the revamped missions yet, so I figured I'd give them a shot. Now *this* happens. Ugh. Cryptic, please fix this. I'm mostly a Fed player, but even I know bugs on KDF side go on FAR too long. And if you're trying to get new players in with the Delta Recruits, you're definitely going to want to fix this sooner rather than later.

Why hasn't this been fixed? Just tried three times, came here to see what I was doing wrong, only to find this has been a problem for years and never fixed, obviously. Not doing this again, too frustrating. Yes, I'm new to the game, and was having a blast....until this happened.

Now, I have to wonder if it will even be worth it to spend any real money here, I was going to, but seriously having second thoughts. Is the whole game like this? And can I even level my Klingon without this quest since it is so seriously bugged???

:mad::confused::(
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited April 2015
    My only solution to this has been: Wait until I have a faster, more powerful ship, then go back and run this episode again. Nailed both freighters without any major problems and finished the episode just fine.

But I could *not* do it with the ship the character originally started with ... it's way too slow and weak-powered. Nothing in the space tray did much good in speeding that ship up to keep from falling further and further behind each freighter.
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Do the freighters last and do them in order!

I failed once, when I did a freighter after the first satellite. The other freighter never spawned.
    Now, I always do the satellites first and I try to kill the other ships as well (so that I can better concentrate on the freighter later). But I stay ALWAYS clear of the freighters spawn area. That's essential. Then I cloak and approach the freighters. When I am really close, I decloak and concentrate on the freighter only. Trying to keep the target within 5 kilometers and using "evasive manovers" if necessary.
    Since I do it that way, I never failed again.

Just try it and say if this workaround works for you as well. Good luck!
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    I played through this mission with a newly created character leveled up to the minimum needed to get the mission, and using the base starting ship. I encountered no problems completing the mission. The freighters were easy to keep up with and destroy.

I just followed the mission tracker, destroy the first satellite, destroy the first freighter, second satellite, second freighter.
    STO QA Team
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2015
    CrypticFrost: Recently I *finally* was able to do it that way (found out how on my own; no hints or anything). Don't destroy both satellites *then* try to destroy both freighters. It's impossible that way. As you said, one satellite, one freighter, then second satellite, second freighter. The opposition's ships will do everything they can to make you fail, that's what they're there for. Ignore them as much as you can and focus on the satellites and freighters.

What helped it work for me: Max-out your driver coil skill before doing the mission; this will give you the best help possible speed-wise. Then make sure that before you're about to chase each freighter you get into point-blank range (as close as possible without hitting the freighter's stern), then shoot like crazy and stay as close to it as possible. Because you *will* lose your overdrive impulse speed (or whatever it's called) and slow down to maximum impulse speed as soon as you're hit by the opposition's ships. Don't try it from say, 10 km away, even though you'll be in firing range; you'll get hit by the opposition's ships much too soon and slow down too much. Then the freighters will easily escape you and you will fail the entire mission. Sitting next to them after they escape does nothing. You have to restart the episode, or skip it (but it might be one of the required Delta Recruit missions that you can't skip; it might have the Iconian stuff in it).

However: The optional's failure does not make the entire mission fail. My recent successful attempt included the failed optional. I still managed to destroy both satellites and freighters and then beamed down to the planet's surface.

Hope this wasn't confusing. Did my best to make it as clear as possible.

Overall: I sincerely hope that this mission will be included in the revamp of the Klingon episodes (whenever that happens). Because I don't plan on creating another KDF character until after that revamp happens. This isn't the only frustrating mission on the KDF side. I've already sent an in-game bug report about Afterlife/Gates of Gre'Thor (you end up doing GoG twice; once as part of Afterlife; and again as part of GoG ... which may or may not have been due to doing it as a team mission, rather than solo).