test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New delta recruiting ... hopefuly ...

daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
When something new comes into the game many people get excited. I can get that and new things coming to the game are desirable. My only hope is that it will not make the old characters less desirable or underpowered. If u gonna spend lots of time polishing one character, spending hundredths of millions of EC on it trying to get it as close "perfection" u don't wanna see it suddenly "just ok" like with t5 ships.
Hopefully the devs will find a way not to waste players hard work and personal preferences.
Post edited by daciaeterna on

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hopefully the devs will find a way not to waste players hard work and personal preferences.

I wish I could tell you they'd never do such a thing but oh well I hope so too. :o
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yah, this whole thing has me a little suspicious too. There is no way im giving up my main after all the stupid grinding I have done with him to get him where he is.... but I also dont want to miss out on anything. So we will see what future dev blogs have to say about it. Its still a little ways away
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm sure they will. The main thread is bordering on becoming a doom thread at this point - I hope it gets locked soon.

Just like T5 ships were able to be upgraded to T5-U, and our old top-end Mk XII gear could be upgraded to Mk XIV, our old toons won't be left without something. It says right in the limited information we have so far, that there'll be account-wide benefits - most notably a starship trait, and some measure of XP boost.

Yeah, maybe it'll take some effort. But hey, I'm going to be playing the game anyways, and it sounds like playing is the only 'effort' I'll need to put in :)

Either way, it seems like a neat system. I've been looking for a reason to create a new alt / additional main, and this is probably the thing that's going to give me the push to do it. The fact that my new toon's activities will benefit my current toon - that's just icing on the cake.
  • Options
    mightylink#4428 mightylink Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just started playing this game a week ago, theres no way I'm going to start all over again x.x
  • Options
    vulcancouriervulcancourier Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    godimas wrote: »
    There is no way im giving up my main after all the stupid grinding I have done with him to get him where he is.... but I also dont want to miss out on anything.

Is Cryptic, and other, MMO-F2P's definition of monetizing content.

New quadrant

Consolidated story line to reduce development cost

Multiple ship types (Intelligence, Command and faction less)

Repurposing old content requiring repurchase of some sort (Delta Recruit leveling, the Pathfinder and Bug Ship packages)

Cryptic, so far, has been successful. This new release will give another insight into Cryptic's revenue end-game.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Is it such a shock that the company is trying to make a profit? There's no grand "revenue end-game" - they're just providing the F2P game and offering incentives to purchase content. I'd expect them to continue to tempt me to spend money, otherwise they couldn't keep developing the game.
  • Options
    vulcancouriervulcancourier Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Is it such a shock that the company is trying to make a profit? There's no grand "revenue end-game" - they're just providing the F2P game and offering incentives to purchase content. I'd expect them to continue to tempt me to spend money, otherwise they couldn't keep developing the game.

Not a shock. Nor a negative insinuation of the banal <insert company name> profit meme idiocy that over-populates forum comments.

Rather, it was an observation, apparently poorly communicated, of the point that the poster quoted made and how it informs each update and refines a microtransaction framework that balances consumer behaviour with a revenue model.

The MMO-F2P model informs a best practise revenue model that is the end-game for any business: a near monopoly of disposable income.

Unfortunately, this was off topic to the thread.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This new Delta Recruit thing wont stand out; it'll be a new toy for some people to play with for a limited time, then they'll get bored and go back to their mains. It's always the way. I'm going to cut out that middle part and simply stick to my mains. Don't have the time, nor desire to start another character.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Unless Cryptic does something pretty spectacular (like make lockbox traits/ships account unlock, make lobi consoles account unlock and give alts a xp discount for specializations) there is no way I'm going to make a delta alt my main. I've already had to drop two of my mains just to so i can keep one toon up to date with the best equipment/traits.

They'd need to be absurdly powerful to make me even consider it (like with the romulans). At best I'll use them to farm, which means basic equipment and nothing more.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm sure they will. The main thread is bordering on becoming a doom thread at this point - I hope it gets locked soon.

Just like T5 ships were able to be upgraded to T5-U, and our old top-end Mk XII gear could be upgraded to Mk XIV, our old toons won't be left without something. It says right in the limited information we have so far, that there'll be account-wide benefits - most notably a starship trait, and some measure of XP boost.

Yeah, maybe it'll take some effort. But hey, I'm going to be playing the game anyways, and it sounds like playing is the only 'effort' I'll need to put in :)

Either way, it seems like a neat system. I've been looking for a reason to create a new alt / additional main, and this is probably the thing that's going to give me the push to do it. The fact that my new toon's activities will benefit my current toon - that's just icing on the cake.

Right, I also noticed the mention of "account wide unlocks"...
    Figure it'll be similar to sponsorship tokens. Well that's what I'm praying for anyway.

Only thing annoying me, is I just very recently brought my first Rommy up to lvl 40, then this is announced...bad timing on my part I suppose. But now that character will never get played.
    I already have a main Fed Sci, Fed Tac, Fed Engi (that I actually play). I made the Tac Rommy because my 3 Feds are pretty much fully upgraded, and equipped. Wanted to see what Romulans offered.
    Now, with Delta Recruits, that Rommy will never get played again. Shame really, considering I spent a fair number of hours on that toon. *Not like I couldn't still play it, but, I won't, just because of time required.
    My Delta Recruit, will essentially replace her.
    Just wish I would have waited a couple weeks longer... Sigh.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It seems highly unlikely. Almost all MMOs introduce new gear / powers / traits / whatever. It's very rare for them to force you to create alts to get them (beyond faction-specific gear of course).

Recruits will be in the existing factions. Recruits will get some level-up assistance. To me this is just an evolution of things like giving new characters a purple boff companion to start with instead of all white quality like it was originally.

SWTOR has made similar tweaks to leveling up, like giving new characters free character-bound XP boost tokens. This had no effect on the endgame powers of the alt, it just made getting to endgame a little easier.

TL,DR: Gear creep is normal for an MMO so Tier 6 is to be expected. Making it easier to level up is common and to be expected. Making older character less powerful is not common, and is not something STO has done before, Relax.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

No one expects or ask cryptic to not try an get money out of the game. But there is a limit of how far u go when trying to get people to pay and there is more then one method to do it. Taking everything players worked to get and making obsolete then making a new huge grind to get new stuff its not the smart way, unless there is a new meaning to word smart. Taking stuff that people got attached and work hard for it its the fastest way to monetize at one point but people will soon leave the game frustrated. Finding the middle-way its the smart thing to do, this is why they reverted the XP grind of DR. Not sure if i understand correctly but there is no doom in my first post, trying to discredit a reasonable concern and post it as a some extremist post its pitiful if thats is what u meant by it.

Again, people deleted toons as they realized the cost of maintaining then outweigh the benefits. I invested lots of time, almost 1 bil EC in my main (not counting all the ships) and other resources. My only concern its not to suddenly see all that becoming "just ok" like the t5 ships did. IF its the case then we have a big problem again.If it shares the new traits/stuff with old ones then is excellent i will make a new one myself, happy that the devs learned something from the mistakes of DR.

We will have to wait for more info, but not releasing a clear info on this its not a smart move. Players have the right to be concern about things they worked hard to get especially after the DR fiasco regarding ships .
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    No one expects or ask cryptic to not try an get money out of the game. But there is a limit of how far u go when trying to get people to pay and there is more then one method to do it. Taking everything players worked to get and making obsolete then making a new huge grind to get new stuff its not the smart way, unless there is a new meaning to word smart. Taking stuff that people got attached and work hard for it its the fastest way to monetize at one point but people will soon leave the game frustrated.

I was replying to vulcancourier's comment about the monetization path. You'll note that I quoted something they said in that specific post. Didn't address your OP at all with that comment. I'm sorry that you took my post out of context.

My first post in the thread was in reply to your OP. And I was in agreement with you that there's more info to come, and that there's no reason for doom and gloom yet.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The MMO-F2P model informs a best practise revenue model that is the end-game for any business: a near monopoly of disposable income.

Unfortunately, this was off topic to the thread.

Well, there's no doubt there's a profit motive behind any new content or feature. They're always going to release something that entices someone to pay. And for sure, rolling new toons is an incentive to gear up said toons.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the Delta Recruitment, honestly. I might just roll another Romulan, so I can access all my C-Store account unlocks. Or I might roll a Fed and put a few dollars into it. Depends on what the final details are, over the next few weeks. I've got time to think it over before committing another toon to service :P
  • Options
    zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Enough with the doom and gloom.

This event is NOT designed to make your current character OBSOLETE.

If they had said that only new characters during this even get some special bonus (and the bonus was good), THEN you guys might have a case.

However, what they have said so far indicates this is not the case, its ACCOUNT WIDE bonus, so your MAIN you want to keep WILL GET THE BENEFITS.

We clear so far? The Delta recruits will probably get some small bonuses to push them into end-game viability quickly, since ya know, end-game is all that matters here, those Mk II items are pretty meaningless right? So accelerated leveling and Marks as they level (so help progress through Rep).

Its a recruitment drive, its to get new players into the game and get them ON PAR with the rest of us quickly. If you are already playing, you can make a dude and get some benefits for your OLDER TOON (which is the exact opposite of obsoleting them).

So enough with this TRIBBLE about "forced obsolescence on our toons"
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »

So much agreement, so few words in the language to express it :D Yeah, there's no way our toons are suddenly going to become obsolete. Sure, they may not have the shiny 'extra' bits - whatever they end up being - but who cares, it's just some extra bling or an extra little mechanic.

It's the same as T5 vs. T6 ships. T5 was never made obsolete (despite players freaking out pre-DR, and some still crying foul over it). T6 is just T5, with some shiny extras. Many of the T5s are still the top dogs in the game - same thing will be with our toons.

And in fact, there's no buy-in requirement this time around. They're giving us a free character slot to participate. This sounds like a nice set of bonuses to me, not an end-to-everything for toons and other content that were around pre-DR.
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    I plan on getting a Delta Recruit toon and just using him to get the account-wide event rewards and dilithium for my main toon. In other words, I plan on using him as a servitor. Hey, when fighting Iconians...do as the Iconians do. :D;)
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015

that's exactly the way im thinking, I cant see once the event is over that the delta recruit will be any different to a regular character, after all that would be totally unfair on any new players who come along after the event is over who will not be able to gain this.
    if it had been a permanent change and not limited to this event I would have been more worried but from what I can see the only benefit this character will have above a standard character is for levelling and this will be removed after the event is over anyway, and if your current characters also benefit in some way I cant see how you can go wrong.

create a delta recruit & play him during the event, let your current characters benefit where ever they will, after the event is over do with your delta as you will.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It seems highly unlikely. Almost all MMOs introduce new gear / powers / traits / whatever. It's very rare for them to force you to create alts to get them (beyond faction-specific gear of course).

Recruits will be in the existing factions. Recruits will get some level-up assistance. To me this is just an evolution of things like giving new characters a purple boff companion to start with instead of all white quality like it was originally.
    What season was that? 0? In season 3, the only way to get white boffs was to buy them from a vendor. Your starting boffs were green.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When something new comes into the game many people get excited. I can get that and new things coming to the game are desirable. My only hope is that it will not make the old characters less desirable or underpowered. If u gonna spend lots of time polishing one character, spending hundredths of millions of EC on it trying to get it as close "perfection" u don't wanna see it suddenly "just ok" like with t5 ships.

Sadly, Delta Rising, and the nerfing xp, and content rewards that players like to play has proven that they don't have the player's best interest in mind. They don't even have a balanced view of play (customer) vs profit.

The ones in charge have the attitude of "It's my game, not yours. I will make it the way I want."

While that is fine if you don't care about the potential income you can make, then you will begin to root out many players that would otherwise be willing to spend money on it.

Sometimes, I think that if Atari had not started the game in the direction it was started in, and Cryptic/PWE had it from day one, would it have been a DPS chasing, constant grind like they are making it into now, or would they have considered what will draw more players into the game long term?

Before DR, I loved playing on multiple characters, and got a lot of different ships for them. I had multiple C-Store ships for Fed, Rommies, and KDF. But, if I started playing for the first time after DR, I wouldn't have bought a single ship because the focus of the game has been narrowed.

The game is being tailored for DPS chasing players. Whereas before DR, if you didn't want to chase it, you still had a chance.

So, this is nothing more than a way to get new players into the game, and raise the number of new "Captains" created for the game.

Why else would it only be benefits obtained by starting a new character.

They can count me out of this new grind. 13 characters was fun before DR. Now, it is just wasted time and energy I put into the game.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where is the proof of this supposed 'obsolescence'? My current chars are obsolete only when I decide they are.
    As long as I can still play them and enjoy doing so, there is no 'obsolescence' involved at all.

There is a large amount of speculation going around. Which can only be reduced or discounted when more information arrives. From Day One, people have speculated this game is doomed.

This was quite a few years ago. The game is still here.

What this appears to be is a way to get more new players into the game. Why would anyone see this as a bad thing? If the game were really going out or down, why would Cryptic put so much effort into this?

Again, where is the proof of this supposed 'obsolescence'? Show me the proof and I'll concede publicly you are correct. Concrete evidence only, please. There is far too much speculation already available and most of it has become self-reinforcing. An incorrect statement repeated one thousand times remains incorrect.

As to whether or not I'll participate, I'll wait and see. Worked with LoR. Worked with DR. I see no reason it will not work again with this.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What this appears to be is a way to get more new players into the game.

Possibly but I think there's another way of looking at this.

When cryptic increased the level cap priorities largely shifted from creating serial alts to invent new incentives to drive gameplay, to leveling primary characters and putting them through the specialization trees. For a while now new alts haven't been in focus. People may have still been creating them but I'll bet not at the same rate as they once did (because continuing goals exist as part of the explicit structure of post-60 character building.)

But as a consequence of that many people may have spent the last few months playing end-game content whereas before they may have had a mix of mostly end game with some refreshing early-leveling as they alted. That end-game now involves more stuff, technically (new missions, new PVE's, new patrols, ect.) but recent additions can't quite outweigh the bulk of content that's present (and under-utilized) through each faction's 1-50.

Its a state that's more likely to burn people out. So, here comes a refresher course on old STO that fills the gap between now and Season 10 with something that's going to take some time but through episodic content, not another project grind.

In short I think Delta Recruitment is a habit breaking event, and for an MMO dev to try that it is very encouraging.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I was replying to vulcancourier's comment about the monetization path. You'll note that I quoted something they said in that specific post. Didn't address your OP at all with that comment. I'm sorry that you took my post out of context.

My first post in the thread was in reply to your OP. And I was in agreement with you that there's more info to come, and that there's no reason for doom and gloom yet.

Ok, ty for clearing that out. Last night when i read all that i was kinda tired. Sorry for being over defensive.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    Enough with the doom and gloom.

This event is NOT designed to make your current character OBSOLETE.

If they had said that only new characters during this even get some special bonus (and the bonus was good), THEN you guys might have a case.

However, what they have said so far indicates this is not the case, its ACCOUNT WIDE bonus, so your MAIN you want to keep WILL GET THE BENEFITS.

We clear so far? The Delta recruits will probably get some small bonuses to push them into end-game viability quickly, since ya know, end-game is all that matters here, those Mk II items are pretty meaningless right? So accelerated leveling and Marks as they level (so help progress through Rep).

Its a recruitment drive, its to get new players into the game and get them ON PAR with the rest of us quickly. If you are already playing, you can make a dude and get some benefits for your OLDER TOON (which is the exact opposite of obsoleting them).

U talk as u know it all, i remember some guys like u before DR. Yes what u say seems to be the case but u cant know 100%, its cryptic... they hit u in the ba*** when u less expect. Its not players mistake that they speculate because the devs did not make it clear, like with the t6 BUG ship (now its t6 now its not ). Blaming the players for cryptic bad communication its TRIBBLE also ... when working with people u need to be very precise (especially after making enough mistakes in the past), giving teasers and incomplete info its ok for marketing sake but more attention should be put into it, thats all. Faced with uncertainty regarding things they care people will speculate, its humans nature to do that.
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just started playing this game a week ago, theres no way I'm going to start all over again x.x

As someone whos been playing this thing for 3 years on and off...if ya dig the game enough, youll wanna make a kdf alt anyway (at least for easier resource gathering ;) )
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ok, ty for clearing that out. Last night when i read all that i was kinda tired. Sorry for being over defensive.

No worries. It happens :)
    ... Blaming the players for cryptic bad communication its TRIBBLE also ... when working with people u need to be very precise (especially after making enough mistakes in the past), giving teasers and incomplete info its ok for marketing sake but more attention should be put into it, thats all...

That's why they usually put a caveat about "subject to change" now. They're under a lot of pressure from the playerbase to release information quickly, and sometimes they're being pushed to release it earlier than they'd like. Otherwise, they'd be blamed for not communicating enough - it's a damned-if-you-do / damned-if-you-don't situation. So what they're saying here is "hey, we're working on this, details to come when it's closer to ready." Also marketing hype of course, but that's to be expected.

What I will blame, is a selection of the playerbase that is taking it to the extreme and freaking out over a potential 'game is dead' or 'everything old is obsolete' scenario. That serves no purpose at all.
    Its a state that's more likely to burn people out. So, here comes a refresher course on old STO that fills the gap between now and Season 10 with something that's going to take some time but through episodic content, not another project grind.

In short I think Delta Recruitment is a habit breaking event, and for an MMO dev to try that it is very encouraging.

Yeah, that's a good thought on it. It's a balance thing. You can release content and expect certain results, but watching just how grind-heavy players ended up playing DR as in the attempt to get all the long-term benefits immediately... I'm sure they figured they had to do something.

I view this along the same line as the reward revamp / increase. It's all the gameplay and mechanics balances that need to follow a major expansion. I'm glad they're taking an active stance on monitoring the effects of DR, and adjusting where needed.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Again, people deleted toons as they realized the cost of maintaining then outweigh the benefits. I invested lots of time, almost 1 bil EC in my main (not counting all the ships) and other resources. My only concern its not to suddenly see all that becoming "just ok" like the t5 ships did. IF its the case then we have a big problem again.

This pretty much happened with Legacy of Romulus.

A Rom Toon pretty much blows both Feds and Klings out of the water with all the Singularity powers, the ability to use their allied faction ships and a DOff system comparable to the Klingons, thay are just way more fun to play.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I find this system very very telling of just how bad it is in STO right now particularly for things like STFs.

It's always interesting to see what schemes they'll come up with to attract players but nothing is more fun then watching a company give op'd options to new players when they've scared off all of the old players due to their problems making sound decisions particularly when it comes to progression.

You wouldn't have lost all of us had you done the right thing when it comes to xp acquisition for spec building or not turned this game into a mobile app or farmville on facebook.

Please though keep showing us just how desparate you are by making systems like the delta recruiting system I enjoy a good show now and then.