test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Enhanced Engineering Systems" cannot be deleted.

drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
edited March 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
My overflow bag is full of these items and they cant be discarded. It was supposedly fixed in the lastest patch but they are still in my bag and if I click discard nothing happens.
Post edited by drake122svk on

Comments

• drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Please try the following:

* Take them out of your Overflow Bag before attempting to Discard them.
    * Try double-clicking them, instead of Discarding.

If neither of the above work, please post additional information if you have it. Anything you can think of. Bumping a thread without adding additional information is technically against the forum's guidelines, FYI.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Please try the following:

* Take them out of your Overflow Bag before attempting to Discard them.
    * Try double-clicking them, instead of Discarding.

If neither of the above work, please post additional information if you have it. Anything you can think of. Bumping a thread without adding additional information is technically against the forum's guidelines, FYI.

could I add something here, I had 100s. I mean 100s of these. I had to get a macro program to do it for me. After spending 10-15 minutes of just deleting.

Its likely that the OP just has so many it doesn't look like its doing anything.

Really you shouldn't make players fix this. Your team should have cleared them instead of making us do the work for a bug you claim you had a fix for but let run a week.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    could I add something here, I had 100s. I mean 100s of these. I had to get a macro program to do it for me. After spending 10-15 minutes of just deleting.

Its likely that the OP just has so many it doesn't look like its doing anything.

Really you shouldn't make players fix this. Your team should have cleared them instead of making us do the work for a bug you claim you had a fix for but let run a week.

They always let bugs run for a week, its apparently an absolutely horrible idea to push a patch out more than once a week ... never seen another MMO company that followed that thought process. Heck, some can now even push minor fixes without bringing their servers down.

I'm sure many people would have rather had the servers down for a couple hours last friday or this monday than deal with the CCA no spawn, no completion bug for a full seven days ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2015

Running a script on every single player container on the database would likely cause catastrophic server performance issues. This is really in the best interest of all players, not a decision we've made out of laziness or spite.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Running a script on every single player container on the database would likely cause catastrophic server performance issues. This is really in the best interest of all players, not a decision we've made out of laziness or spite.

Hehe, yeah I've done this on a personal program... not fun, perhaps putting a dialogue option on an NPC to remove undesired items from one's inventory? This would eliminate the script from running on every player, and woud give players a way to quickly remove these annoying items from thier inventories.
  • drennikdrennik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

And your Weekly Maintenances, are for what exactly?

Precisely the right time to do such a thing, server-side without players needing to do your dirty work for you.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    What he just said.......................

just read it more slowly from his first post

The server is brought down once a wek to handle things like this ...And feed the hamster
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    drennik wrote: »
    And your Weekly Maintenances, are for what exactly?

Precisely the right time to do such a thing, server-side without players needing to do your dirty work for you.

The script that does it can't run when the server is down (just like you can't play STO when your computer is turned off), these fix it scripts are run when the player logs in and accesses the data.

I don't think the players need a ton a lag because a few people are too lazy to clean out their bags.
  • drennikdrennik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reximuz wrote: »
    The script that does it can't run when the server is down (just like you can't play STO when your computer is turned off), these fix it scripts are run when the player logs in and accesses the data.

I don't think the players need a ton a lag because a few people are too lazy to clean out their bags.

Really now? Blaming the players, for Cryptic's TRIBBLE ups? If Cryptic hadn't screwed up in the first place, we wouldn't be forced to clean up their mess.
    edited March 2015
    We are investigating a means to clean up these deprecated items, without needing an expensive fix-up script.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Pinging thread

Does anyone still have these items in their inventory?

~Smirk
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Obviously I am not familiar with the way STO's back end architecture works, so take this suggestion for whatever it's worth--which may not be much.

I would assume you have the ability to define scripts or code to be executed onLogon(), to pick an arbitrary name for the function--seems like a pretty fundamental hook to design into any kind of server application.

If a script to perform a server-wide wipe of these deprecated items is impractical for performance or risk reasons (computationally expensive, impactful to the UX) and can't for whatever reason be performed during scheduled downtime, what about instead triggering a script onLogon() which does the following during a character's initialization:
    1. Scans the charcter's inventory for these corrupted items
    2. Deletes the items if found
    3. Flags the character so that the scan is not performed again

The advantage of this approach is that it limits the back end performance overhead of the query not just by scanning only one character/player at a time on an as-needed basis, but by restricting the activity to only occur when a character first logs in--before they are likely to personally notice any plausible delay. It also avoids all the overhead of scanning inactive player accounts (though that could just as easily be accomplished by filtering for last login time).

You wouldn't need to leave this in place for very long--a month or two perhaps. That would catch the vast majority of affected players and minimize the amount of cleanup that needs to be done later.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
    edited March 2015
    Pinging thread

Does anyone still have these items in their inventory?

~Smirk

Yeah, I have a couple of characters that still have these. Haven't gotten around to fishing them out of my overflow bags yet. lol
    edited March 2015
    Well dear me, after like 3-4 days a dev cares to respond, only to say bumping threads is against the forum rules, and I should delete all that TRIBBLE from my overflow bag myself, when I possibly have hundreds of them there, and most importantly, IT IS NOT MY FAULT they are in there.

Why should i spend hours clicking that stuff to delete it, or making macros to take care of it - I did nothing to cause these items to appear in the first place. Either fix your own mess Cryptic, or don't, I don't care, but don't force me to do "your job" for you.
    edited March 2015
    Well dear me, after like 3-4 days a dev cares to respond, only to say bumping threads is against the forum rules, and I should delete all that TRIBBLE from my overflow bag myself, when I possibly have hundreds of them there, and most importantly, IT IS NOT MY FAULT they are in there.

Why should i spend hours clicking that stuff to delete it, or making macros to take care of it - I did nothing to cause these items to appear in the first place. Either fix your own mess Cryptic, or don't, I don't care, but don't force me to do "your job" for you.

I'm just trying to help you solve a problem you've encountered. If you don't want to accept the solution, that's up to you.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Yeah, I have a couple of characters that still have these. Haven't gotten around to fishing them out of my overflow bags yet. lol

Which character still has them? Can you tell me the character name and make sure to get a few of the items into your inventory (out of the overflow bag) so you can be our QA teams test subject? :)
    edited March 2015

Which character still has them? Can you tell me the character name and make sure to get a few of the items into your inventory (out of the overflow bag) so you can be our QA teams test subject? :)

No problems:

Chandra@Orion0029 - 7 in overflow bag, 5 in inventory

Kaylee@Orion0029 - 4 in overflow bag, 5 in inventory

Hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of further assistance. :)

Oh, and please mind her hair, I just had it detailed... :P
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    drennik wrote: »
    Really now? Blaming the players, for Cryptic's TRIBBLE ups? If Cryptic hadn't screwed up in the first place, we wouldn't be forced to clean up their mess.

I'm not blaming players for anything, but maybe English isn't your native language and that is beyond your understanding.

Mistakes happen that cause messes, sometimes you just need to suck it up and clean it up. If you buy a defective jug of milk that spills on your floor, the dairy isn't going to send someone to clean it up for you. If you get a defective toner cartridge that gets toner all over the place when you try and install it, the toner manufacturer isn't going to send someone to clean it up for you. None of these things are users fault, but that's life, sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Asking for a server fix that will massively lag out the servers because you don't want to clean out your overflow bag, which really doesn't even need to be cleaned out, since its the overflow bag, because you are too lazy to clean out a bag that doesn't need to be cleaned out, is selfish, to say the least.

And now it looks like they are going to be wasting dev time trying to find a fix for lazy, time that could have been spent working on other more important fixes. GG
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have several of those in my overflow bag and can simply delete them by moving them out of said bag and then right-click -> discard them.One strange behavior i've noticed is that i can swap this itemised set bonus with another set bonus (usually another console set). Not that i've seen any effect on actual gameplay doing this.

Still, it's nice to link a "Temporal Warfare" item in the fleet chat. :D