test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coming down for maintenance 1 hour early?

js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I just received this announcement in-game:

[12:30] [Admin] Attention Captains: The shard will be coming down for maintenance in 30 minutes. Thank you for playing Star Trek Online

That's 12:30 UTC by the way. That means the shard is coming down at 13:00 UTC - a full hour earlier than announced. Is this correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Free Tibet!
Post edited by js26568 on

Comments

• mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »

[12:30] [Admin] Attention Captains: The shard will be coming down for maintenance in 30 minutes. Thank you for playing Star Trek Online

That's 12:30 UTC by the way. That means the shard is coming down at 13:00 UTC - a full hour earlier than announced. Is this correct?

My guess is that the UTC time listed did not factor Daylight Savings Time here in the US. DST just started this past Sunday in the US. Right now, I have the servers going down in 10 min at 9 am Eastern Daylight Time.

This post was made at approx 8:50 am Eastern Daylight Time.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • firehawk4firehawk4 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It is because of daylight savings time. 6am PST which they were on until last weekend is UTC -8 so 1400 UTC but now they are on PDT which is only UTC -7 so 1300 UTC. I guess they forgot that when publishing the patch time
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I kind of ticked off that they are blocking people from logging in or switching characters 10 minutes before servers come down... i was desperately trying to squeeze in my last CCA run of the day. :(
  • lonestar1017lonestar1017 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hour early and servers went down like 5 minutes before they were suppose to. Nice

Same was making a CCA run on another alt when it kicked back server unavailable.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it said 5 min before the servers went down and then they went down before time was up , wtf I was on my last dilithium node :mad: . cryptic you owe me 200 dilithium :P
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Americans change clocks differently from us. They just forgot to take account of it, again.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think i read in the path to 2409 that the federation stopped using daylight savings time
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I kind of ticked off that they are blocking people from logging in or switching characters 10 minutes before servers come down... i was desperately trying to squeeze in my last CCA run of the day. :(

Same here, now my last char will be delayed by 4 hours.... but whatever, lol.
    Gameserver not found.
  • elvenaarelvenaar Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why do the muricans always have to change b4 everyone else is beyond me, they just mess up things as always and then blame it on us europeans, jeez I'm getting sick and tired of this murican arrogance.
    Not to mention 4 hours of maintenance right smack in the mid-afternoon of european time AGAIN, thank you muricans.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't mind the maintenance - it's certainly preferable to an unmaintained game - but failing to get a simple thing like time zones right is... disheartening.

I notice that the time difference is displayed correctly on the bottom of this page. Perhaps Cryptic could give this webpage a job as a developer?
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I hate DST. And even more after I know now that US and Europe start it at different dates.

Additional we shouldnt save daylight, there is plenty of it around. Lets start saving nightlight! ;)
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Disconnected 5 min too early.

No big deal really, and hope it stays in maintenance as long as it takes to properly fix stuff.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    elvenaar wrote: »
    Why do the muricans always have to change b4 everyone else is beyond me, they just mess up things as always and then blame it on us europeans, jeez I'm getting sick and tired of this murican arrogance.
    Not to mention 4 hours of maintenance right smack in the mid-afternoon of european time AGAIN, thank you muricans.

So many generalizations and insults directed at an entire nation while talking about arrogance, fabulous. I believe the weekly quote for someone complaining about the time of maintenance has been filled. Good thing that has never been discussed before :rolleyes: ...might be good to link it at the bottom of the patch notes at this point.
  • geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm just amused that every maintenance period this kind of thing happens all the time... so why do people stay in game. Just keep a clock open and log out an hour before the "scheduled" time of the maintenance... I guess it would suk for the European folks as the maintenance is right in the middle of their afternoon/evening.. but still, you know it's going to happen, so just log out...
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm just amused that every maintenance period this kind of thing happens all the time... so why do people stay in game. Just keep a clock open and log out an hour before the "scheduled" time of the maintenance... I guess it would suk for the European folks as the maintenance is right in the middle of their afternoon/evening.. but still, you know it's going to happen, so just log out...

But....

1.) People can't be bothered to read
    2.) People can't be bothered to figure out timezones (...CMs included lol)
    3.) People want to insult Americans

Yay for Thursday's once maintenance begins!
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Well you could always go play your European made Trek mmo... Oh wait there isn't one. Suck it up buttercup, s**t happens.
    edited March 2015
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    Well you could always go play your European made Trek mmo... Oh wait there isn't one. Suck it up buttercup, s**t happens.

Informative and helpful...
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited March 2015
    Informative and helpful...

It really was, wasn't it. You're welcome.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Did folks really not notice this happens every time? It's set for UTC. Every Spring and Fall, time might change in certain countries but the UTC doesn't - so the clocks might adjust, but things don't. It's been like that...happened last Fall, happened last Spring, happened the Fall before, happened the Spring before, etc, etc, etc.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Some of us are optimists, and sincerely believe that Cryptic have the capacity to learn from their mistakes. You know, actually realize, for once, that they are now only seven hours away from GMT and not eight, and make allowances for that in their announcement.

Admittedly, this optimism gets harder and harder to maintain. But I still dream the impossible dream, that one day they will get timezones and daylight saving time right.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    Well you could always go play your European made Trek mmo... Oh wait there isn't one.
    Even if there were, the IP was developed by...

muricans.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    shevet wrote: »
    Some of us are optimists, and sincerely believe that Cryptic have the capacity to learn from their mistakes. You know, actually realize, for once, that they are now only seven hours away from GMT and not eight, and make allowances for that in their announcement.

Admittedly, this optimism gets harder and harder to maintain. But I still dream the impossible dream, that one day they will get timezones and daylight saving time right.
    It does not take a physicist to understand that a lot of people's forum issues are Smirk's, not Cryptic's. Smirk does not keep us properly updated - which is why we have to go to other Cryptic game forums to get information that should be here. But Smirk has nothing to do with Cryptic. He works for PWE, not Cryptic. So if you wish to be POed about it at least blame the correct person and company. None of this is Cryptic's fault. All this nerd rage is because Smirk made a mistake.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It does not take a physicist to understand that a lot of people's forum issues are Smirk's, not Cryptic's. Smirk does not keep us properly updated - which is why we have to go to other Cryptic game forums to get information that should be here. But Smirk has nothing to do with Cryptic. He works for PWE, not Cryptic. So if you wish to be POed about it at least blame the correct person and company. None of this is Cryptic's fault. All this nerd rage is because Smirk made a mistake.

Course, Smirk apologized for it yesterday when it was noted he'd goofed...and...edited the maintenance post. And the link for what time it would be in anybody's timezone was correct regardless...

...so uh, well, the whole complaint thing is kind of /facepalm.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    shevet wrote: »

I am an even greater optimist. I have a dream, that one day they'll be able to afford a programmer that can write them some code to actually do timezone conversions automagically! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I am an even greater optimist. I have a dream, that one day they'll be able to afford a programmer that can write them some code to actually do timezone conversions automagically! :)

Hey now, those first year interns are expensive and hard to come by.
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

So rather than continue providing the link to the site that does it for free...they should take away development resources to hire somebody that does it? ;)
    edited March 2015
    So rather than continue providing the link to the site that does it for free...they should take away development resources to hire somebody that does it? ;)

Well, yes because society has this bizarre need to cater to the lowest common denominator. You know, those people who aren't intelligent enough to click a link that will <gasp> hand them the time conversion on a silver platter...or for that matter actually know how to figure it out for themselves.

Not directed in any way at you Virusdancer, just pointing this out.
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe it's down early so it could be up early... LIKE RIGHT NOW! woohoo!

Seriously it's up.
    edited March 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    Maybe it's down early so it could be up early... LIKE RIGHT NOW! woohoo!

Seriously it's up.

Wow, so it is.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »

I pointed out to Smirk last night that he used the wrong time zone in the downtime thread. So my guess is that someone made the same mistake on the launcher announcement and used PST instead of PDT when doing the conversion.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!