test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Curly hair

sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
I don't know if there was topic about this before and currently I'm not in the mood for searching it, but I would like to know why there is no option for (long) curly hair. Thanks to this I can't make one of my boffs to look like Sikozu from Farscape and while I'm really close to it, it's just not her without long curly/wavy hair :(
So I would appreciate if devs would give us that option in the closer future :D
FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
SZ1RgUL.jpg
SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
Post edited by sovereign47 on

Comments

• Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Because racism. And because it's "too hard" for the babies to design properly.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    It's not racist. Hair is one of the hardest things to pull off in low poly 3D at the moment, and curly hair even more so.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Because racism. And because it's "too hard" for the babies to design properly.

Really? That has to be one of the most stupid and idiotic posts I have ever read. Very troll worthy.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't know if there was topic about this before and currently I'm not in the mood for searching it, but I would like to know why there is no option for (long) curly hair. Thanks to this I can't make one of my boffs to look like Sikozu from Farscape and while I'm really close to it, it's just not her without long curly/wavy hair :(
    So I would appreciate if devs would give us that option in the closer future :D

Maybe you could go for her Peacekeeper wars look? http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/farscape/images/b/ba/Sikozu2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090519061511 ? Maybe not I don't know
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    malhado#1299 malhado Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It would be nice to have more hair options. VERY nice, indeed.
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It's not racist. Hair is one of the hardest things to pull off in low poly 3D at the moment, and curly hair even more so.

Well it certainly don't seem that hard to me. I mean besides everything else that already can be done, this seems like some minor problem, but I'm not much into 3D rendering so I could be wrong of course. However I do hope they'll introduce that option in the (closer) future.
    rtk142 wrote: »
    Maybe you could go for her Peacekeeper wars look? http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/farscape/images/b/ba/Sikozu2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090519061511 ? Maybe not I don't know

Nah, I'm not quite fond of that look. She's much better with long wavy hair as seen in show :D
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015

The Forum Overlord hath spoken!
    HAIL TACOFANGS!

Anyways... I believe you Taco. Perhaps with some experimentation a solution can be discovered. Whoever did the elegant hair did a pretty good job.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh Man.. As Taco fangs says, curls hard to pull off in the first place. If done incorrectly, FPS drops like a stone.. I've got a character DAZ Studio, her hair takes ages to render. I do keep an eye on it when it renders each areas, it really stalls with her hair: http://bignutter.deviantart.com/art/Vindi-s-new-toy-redux-169164834 The Models I use are not optimized for gaming, but for "Pre-rendered" Movies where looks "Quality" may take Priority over performance.

Alternatively, you could make curls in "paint" and use a large hair piece.. may result in not looking good.

I've not seen many characters with curls in other games, and the ones that do usually due to the characters that appear in other media.

Actress Alex Kingston has similar curls as seen in ER and Doctor Who. As her Doctor Who Character River Song appeared in Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock, the Devs at Supermassive Games tied her hair back. Check Steam or PSN if you want more info. (There was a ER game, it was released after Kingston's character left.)
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Just for comparison's sake, Pixar spent nearly 3 years to get Merida's hair working for Brave. And they used it like a character in itself. That's not real time graphics, that's prerendered stuff, for ONE character.

http://www.insidescience.org/content/brave-features-hair-raising-animations/689
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    All I have to say is thank goodness all of our characters wear underwear...

Can you imagine the lag a bunch of naked hairy toons in one instance would create!!

:eek:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just for comparison's sake, Pixar spent nearly 3 years to get Merida's hair working for Brave. And they used it like a character in itself. That's not real time graphics, that's prerendered stuff, for ONE character.

This.

Creating pre-rendered, predetermined hair that moves and looks naturally is challenging enough--and that's when you have full control over the artistic pipeline and have the freedom to go back and tweak the rigging or make frame-by-frame adjustments if necessary, and take as much time rendering as needed.

To make it an option in a video game, you generally have to build that into the game engine to begin with, and it needs to be designed so that it can do all of the above procedurally in realtime. This is extremely computationally expensive, to say nothing of the man hours that go into developing it.

It is not impossible--honestly, Japanese video game makers tend to put a lot more emphasis on natural-looking hair movement on their characters and manage it quite well--but it is also not free. The performance impact tends to scale exponentially when you have a lot of characters on-screen at once--say, social zones.

I'm a big fan of natural-looking hair on my characters, and I'd still probably turn off that graphics option in an MMO for performance reasons.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Approximations of curly hair would be great if the game engine allows for it.

Examples:
    Skyrim mod (single player)

Elder Scrolls Online (MMO)
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    edited March 2015

In other words, exactly what I wrote. Priority is not given to representation of curly-haired people. It's not considered an important enough problem to solve, or at least live up to the old maxim that anything worth doing is worth doing badly.
    ravin wrote: »
    Really? That has to be one of the most stupid and idiotic posts I have ever read. Very troll worthy.

Taco just corroborated what I wrote, except he said it isn't racist to not consider unequal representation a problem.

No one asked for flowing locks. More curly texture on static lumps was requested, just like you already do for the New Style Elegant on females, the unisex short Afro, and the various Klingon dreads. But equal representation isn't considered important, and that is the issue at hand.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2015

And then a skyrim modder did it by himself. This is just a beta version before it was finished. It looks a lot better now.

So explain why a professional development team can't outdo a modder.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So explain why a professional development team can't outdo a modder.

This is so easy to explain, even I can do it.

Modders have effectively unlimited time and the ability to focus on doing one single thing and doing it right. The modder in question intentionally and specifically set out to do one thing - curly hair. No timetable, no budget constraints (or budget at all) to worry about, no bosses to worry about, and only as many other projects as they want to tackle.

A professional game company has none of those luxuries. Budget constraints, set time frames to work on things, other projects that need doing, bosses breathing down their necks... it's a completely different ball game. Not to mention the potential problems all that animation and texture and mesh work would have on a multiplayer game - something you don't have to worry about with a single-player experience like Skyrim. Slowdown everywhere. Hell, I'm curious to see how Skyrim would cope with 100 or so Merida-haired NPC's in, say, Whiterun, which I don't think is much smaller in total than ESD... Somehow I doubt it'd be pretty without a monster rig.

If given carte blanche, curly physics'd hair would be totally doable for STO's character artists and animators, but it's just not practical given the realities of company work and of how MMO's work.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Because racism.
    representation of curly-haired people.

isn't racist to not consider unequal representation a problem.

equal representation isn't considered important
    MmBWiDu.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    This is so easy to explain, even I can do it.

Modders have effectively unlimited time and the ability to focus on doing one single thing and doing it right. The modder in question intentionally and specifically set out to do one thing - curly hair. No timetable, no budget constraints (or budget at all) to worry about, no bosses to worry about, and only as many other projects as they want to tackle.

A professional game company has none of those luxuries. Budget constraints, set time frames to work on things, other projects that need doing, bosses breathing down their necks... it's a completely different ball game. Not to mention the potential problems all that animation and texture and mesh work would have on a multiplayer game - something you don't have to worry about with a single-player experience like Skyrim. Slowdown everywhere. Hell, I'm curious to see how Skyrim would cope with 100 or so Merida-haired NPC's in, say, Whiterun, which I don't think is much smaller in total than ESD... Somehow I doubt it'd be pretty without a monster rig.

If given carte blanche, curly physics'd hair would be totally doable for STO's character artists and animators, but it's just not practical given the realities of company work and of how MMO's work.

Typical reactionary. You talk around the cause of the oppression of curly-haired people in order to pretend the "realities of company work" are not decided by management in the first place. That is the issue being discussed: unnecessary systemic inequality by design. That is, the management does not deem it worth company time and money to equally represent all of humanity in their game. It took ages for proper African and east Asian complexion and facial features, even though Star Trek had African and Asian main characters from the beginning. Star Trek is, in fact, THE preeminent world pioneer of race and gender equality activism in a television franchise, especially in the United States. Curly-haired people want to be represented too. It's the last acceptable prejudice in game culture, even beyond blatant ubiquitous misogyny, and it's behavior unworthy of Star Trek.

I repeat, no one asked for animated hair. That was something injected into the conversation to muddle the issue. sovereign47 asked for curly hair that is static like all the other hair types currently in the game. They already have static Klingon dreads. Just add bangs and unlock it for all species to have long curly hair in STO. Obviously. :mad:

We, the curly-haired of the Earth, deserve much better in the context of a Star Trek game. The idea that anything Star Trek would exclude a vast amount of human types, and even go so far as to introduce new aliens first, proves that the dev bosses are likely straight-haired people who don't know what it's like to be curly-haired, and evidently must not care. This isn't the world Gene envisioned.
    Greenbird