test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New galaxy map to come.(currently on Tribble)

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
I popped over to tribble to check out the new galaxy map, and i have to say it looks awesome.
Flying around, theres lots of new systems, and the detail looks good.
Problem is, you can not enter any of these new systems and go to any of the planets.
I hope now cryptic has added these new systems and planets, we might be able to explore around.
A trip to ferenginar would be good, to experience all that rain they have.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Most of the new planets are for future expansion and won't be visitable right now. Additionally, they will have Foundry doors so missions can begin there.
  • Options
    cyllus2014cyllus2014 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I tried this out on Tribble the other night. Flew from Q'onos to ESD with no zoning. Was amazing.
    With astrometrics off space seems huge... and the planetary systems... very nice.

Highly recommend you take a look at it. :D
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've been telling people in game it looks sweet.

They've done a great job with this.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah Cryptic did a really nice job with the walls coming down. Still some minor issues with sound (it still stops as you switch sectors) but it looks really nice... very much like space.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sounds great, have they sorted the issue for XP OSS?
    I run a decent hardware setup, but admittedly my OSS is very old, loved, but old.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    I popped over to tribble to check out the new galaxy map, and i have to say it looks awesome.
    Flying around, theres lots of new systems, and the detail looks good.
    Problem is, you can not enter any of these new systems and go to any of the planets.
    I hope now cryptic has added these new systems and planets, we might be able to explore around.
    A trip to ferenginar would be good, to experience all that rain they have.

Anyone know when they're making it live?
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    teknesia wrote: »

I suspect it may be made live with the new season, but who knows they could make it live soon.

They are still dealing with transwarp issues.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's looking good, but there are several thing that need to be fixed before the release.

In my short visit of the tribble server, I saw that:

-the ships are actually shrunken in sector space compared to system space, but they didn't implement a correct resizing of several engine trails or make the camera distance adapt itself yet

-some planets have the wrong skins (I saw the Earth in the same system as Bajor)

-the map needs some work because it's harder to locate yourself

-some sectors aren't complete (the Delta quadrant is still divided in two sector space maps and entering the lower one prevents you from leaving it unless you use a transwarp)

-I haven't tested with a character with a low diplomatic rank, but you have no warning you're entering Klingon space for now.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    teknesia wrote: »

Taco said it'll go live with Season 10, which should be around May time frame.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Sector Space will be released with Season 10.

cecil08 wrote: »
    Most of the new planets are for future expansion and won't be visitable right now. Additionally, they will have Foundry doors so missions can begin there.

Pretty much this.

When we expanded into sectors that held major systems, like Tellar and Betazed, it wouldn't have felt right to not see those systems there. I expect that would have gotten quite a few complaints.

However, Sector Space is a huge project all by itself. We can't simultaneously be making a bunch of content to fill up all of those systems. To us, it was more important to have those systems added, and available to the foundry, than it was to NOT have systems in game with no direct content connected to them.

So, the systems are mostly there for Trek Nerding, and to help fill up some of the space we added. But they are also there for Foundry authors to use as they see fit, as well as for future expansion room. While Betazed may not be a system you can visit at the moment, there's nothing stopping us from making content there at a later date. (Betazed wedding diplomacy mission anyone?*)

-some planets have the wrong skins (I saw the Earth in the same system as Bajor)

Already fixed.
    -the ships are actually shrunken in sector space compared to system space, but they didn't implement a correct resizing of several engine trails or make the camera distance adapt itself yet

Known issue, which we're working on.
    -some sectors aren't complete (the Delta quadrant is still divided in two sector space maps and entering the lower one prevents you from leaving it unless you use a transwarp)

There actually is a contiguous version of the DQ, but the doors aren't hooked up properly at the moment. Known and being worked on.

*Not a promise, just something I think would be funny.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

Pretty much this.

When we expanded into sectors that held major systems, like Tellar and Betazed, it wouldn't have felt right to not see those systems there. I expect that would have gotten quite a few complaints.

However, Sector Space is a huge project all by itself. We can't simultaneously be making a bunch of content to fill up all of those systems. To us, it was more important to have those systems added, and available to the foundry, than it was to NOT have systems in game with no direct content connected to them.

So, the systems are mostly there for Trek Nerding, and to help fill up some of the space we added. But they are also there for Foundry authors to use as they see fit, as well as for future expansion room. While Betazed may not be a system you can visit at the moment, there's nothing stopping us from making content there at a later date. (Betazed wedding diplomacy mission anyone?*)

Already fixed.

Known issue, which we're working on.

There actually is a contiguous version of the DQ, but the doors aren't hooked up properly at the moment. Known and being worked on.

Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for the reply, Taco, you're awesome as always.

Also:
    (Betazed wedding diplomacy mission anyone?*)

With the bride's mother hitting on your captain and him/her having to choose a correct set of answers to shove.. err, make her leave by herself and get diplomatic points? And if you fail, you need to run away from her until your crew decides to stop messing with you and beam you away?

YES, definitely! That'd be definitely funny and awesome.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    draigondraigon Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm excited for the new map, but I'm wondering if this change will finally mean that more engines or even warp cores besides the MACO and Borg will get advanced warp. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Pretty much this.

You have chosen....wisely.

I'm all in on that.

The funny thing of course would be how you guys get around the nudity question. I would roll laughing if you guys had nudity censor bars. :D

I'll say again, environment team outstanding work on the memorials.
    draigon wrote: »
    I'm excited for the new map, but I'm wondering if this change will finally mean that more engines or even warp cores besides the MACO and Borg will get advanced warp. Here's hoping.

I'll +1 that. I can understand the Romulan and Aegis sets not having Transwarp drives, barely.

But the Delta Quadrant engines not being transwarp? The Dyson and Solanae sets not having transwarp?

And seriously warp cores=drives with the Transwarp mod. I need this in my gaming life.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2015

AUGHHH!!! I thought the announcement mean it was ready and going live TODAY. So excited this morning. Now so depressed. :'( We have to wait till May?!? That is the time I want to actually go outside. Around here that is when winter is ending and we can see that green stuff called "leaves" and "nature" again. You should have released NOW, when it is crappy outside and I want to stay inside and play. :(
    ZNju0ze.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    idashla wrote: »
    AUGHHH!!! I thought the announcement mean it was ready and going live TODAY. So excited this morning. Now so depressed. :'( We have to wait till May?!? That is the time I want to actually go outside. Around here that is when winter is ending and we can see that green stuff called "leaves" and "nature" again. You should have released NOW, when it is crappy outside and I want to stay inside and play. :(

Nah, it's not ready for prime time. Give them time. What's on Tribble now is basically the first draft, early beta. Let them take their time and polish it. :D

This was just following up on Salami's teaser in his Executive Producer acceptance speech.

Which is good, some of the people around here didn't think it was coming until the next expansion pack.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015

This reminds me.... did you see the second post I made about the disappearing planets? It seems the issue was with them having a halved visible range. this caused some of them to not be visible to players who were parked inside the system they orbited.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    herachristherachrist Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I copied a character to Tribble and used it for the first time ever today just to see the sector space revamp. It's awesome. THIS is what space should look/feel like.

What a way STO has come from the launch days, when only four or five other people could be in a particular sector space instance, when there was no parking swarm around ESD, and ESD looked empty.

One thing I noticed is that stars seem to have a texture issue. It may be only on my end, but what I see are apparently low-res yellow or white spheres, and the detail looks like noise/artifacts. Is it supposed to look like that, or will the stars get texture revamps too?

Regarding transwarp: It's space. It should feel vast. It should feel like a journey to reach a system 50 light years away. While transwarp is handy, I'm leery of anything that makes space feel small again.
  • Options
    gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Shouldn't it be called Quadrant Space, though?
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Sectors still exist. The previous Sector space was made up of multiple maps. Each map was made up of multiple sectors. New Sector Space is made up of multiple (though fewer) maps. Each map is made up of multiple sectors.

Sector, Sector, Sector.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Will DOFF missions still be by Sector block or by individual sector?
    Sectors still exist. The previous Sector space was made up of multiple maps. Each map was made up of multiple sectors. New Sector Space is made up of multiple (though fewer) maps. Each map is made up of multiple sectors.

Sector, Sector, Sector.

Alright this made me think of Sulu in STVI, "We're still in Alpha Quadrant, our chances of making it are...slim..."

So I imagine the Excelsior tearing through space and then BAM "Would you like to warp to the Beta Quadrant Captain?" :D
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I agree. This change to sector space is an order of magnitude better than what we have in game right now.

Have to say, this is among the finest updates to the game that Cryptic has done. I wish the systems developers could match what the art department can do.

I can't make up my mind which Sector Space Revamp provided the best change. Going from the original cartoonish sector space to the one we currently have or the current version to having the more realistic one where our starships aren't the same size as a star.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Will DOFF missions still be by Sector block or by individual sector?

Alright this made me think of Sulu in STVI, "We're still in Alpha Quadrant, our chances of making it are...slim..."

So I imagine the Excelsior tearing through space and then BAM "Would you like to warp to the Beta Quadrant Captain?" :D

"You are not yet high enough in Diplomacy Rank. Level your Diplomacy further to unlock access to Klingon Space!" ;)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I note that my KDF toon with marauding 4 on the test server does have a direct transwarp link to Risa..

They can leave that in..
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    I can't make up my mind which Sector Space Revamp provided the best change. Going from the original cartoonish sector space to the one we currently have or the current version to having the more realistic one where our starships aren't the same size as a star.
    I'll go with this one. The previous one was beautiful giving us real space views instead of all holograms all the time. But visually and functionally this one goes to the next level...this one goes to 11.

Valoreah hit the nail in the head with the words, "an order of magnitude better".

This is becoming Astrometrics in Star Trek Generations good.
    timelord79 wrote: »
    "You are not yet high enough in Diplomacy Rank. Level your Diplomacy further to unlock access to Klingon Space!" ;)
    "Or complete the story mission Surface Tension." :rolleyes:
    I note that my KDF toon with marauding 4 on the test server does have a direct transwarp link to Risa..

They can leave that in..

That will be very useful come June.
  • Options
    xaviermace86xaviermace86 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    (Betazed wedding diplomacy mission anyone?*)

Thank goodness my away team is all Orion females.

Although somehow I have a feeling that party would be crashed by a bunch of Gorn players. I've never wondered what a Gorn looks like naked. I would be perfectly happy never finding out.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thank goodness my away team is all Orion females.

Although somehow I have a feeling that party would be crashed by a bunch of Gorn players. I've never wondered what a Gorn looks like naked. I would be perfectly happy never finding out.

I imagine it would be pretty non-descript. Have you seen a naked iguana? Not a lot to see. I'd be more concerned about Saurians.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Sector, Sector, Sector.

Hey taco! Do youhave an idea as to whether delta recruits will coincide with the space revamp?