test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Acquiring Purple Stuffs

rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Academy
I needed Tac kit modules for a new toon, so instead of paying the insane amounts of EC for them (did I mention I was a frugal TRIBBLE?) I chose to replay the Assimilation mission in the Borg story arc.

Instead of getting something purple mk xi, I got a snot green mk xi.
...wtf.

I thought I could upgrade a lower tier plasma grenade module...I was mistaken.

So, my query is this:

Where/how can I get these purple stuffs...aside from the Exchange?
NO to ARC
RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
Post edited by rezking on

Comments

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Depends on what you're looking for. Embassy and Spire have fleet kits and kit modules. Some of the reps like Counter Command and Delta have a small selection available. Those won't cover every type of module, but they have a decent selection.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Depends on what you're looking for. Embassy and Spire have fleet kits and kit modules. Some of the reps like Counter Command and Delta have a small selection available. Those won't cover every type of module, but they have a decent selection.

I know about those...and they cost Marks, Dil and EC (remember, *frugal TRIBBLE*).

Mk xi purple stuffs exist in-game so there has to be a way to acquire them.
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Oh you don't want to spend anything at all? In that case, I'm afraid the only option you have open to you is waiting for random drops from mobs. That's about all you can do now if you don't want to spend anything.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rezking wrote: »
    I know about those...and they cost Marks, Dil and EC (remember, *frugal TRIBBLE*).

Mk xi purple stuffs exist in-game so there has to be a way to acquire them.

Other than getting random ones as rewards for some missions, some will randomly drop as loot on certain ground maps. I believe ground STFs have a higher chance of being better quality and higher mark, but I could be mistaken, and it could also be truly random.

I'd highly recommend just biting the bullet and spending the currency on the stuff you need/want. Not only is it worth it, if you find yourself playing a lot of ground content, but it's also WAY cheaper than some of the space stuff. Also, some stuff can actually be pretty cheap on the exchange, or you can sometimes find a deal. For example, Delta Expedition Kits, last I checked, are dirt cheap on the exchange and they can grant you nice bonuses to your crit stats, and I was able to snag the Vicious trait, a big boost to ground damage, for half the price of what it usually goes for.

There's still a way for "frugal TRIBBLE" to save some money and still get what they want. But they will still ultimately need to spend something, if they really want to get anywhere.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    sheepsshipsheepsship Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    well I am level 60 and first time I played All that glitters (Delta arc) I got 1 Kit mathing my career and 1 kit module, both very rare (purple) and Mk XIII and the second time rare (blue) and Mk XIII, didn't manage to play it for the 3rd time yet, but I think it will be blue again. at least it is worth a try for you.
  • Options
    doctordositheusdoctordositheus Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Did they nerf the Assimilation reward? It always used to reward purple. I used to farm that mission a lot last year. I will run it and check.

Edit --- Well, just looking at the reward listed when I selected it for replay, it said the kit reward would be "rare" so, yes, indeed the mission reward was stealth nerfed. Typical Cryptic business as usual, it was not mentioned in any patch notes that I remember reading.
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The purple MK XI modules you see on exchange come from Assimilation mission. And yes that was stealth-nerfed just the last patch. So if you need modules, get them now! The price will rise fast in the coming days and weeks.

The delta arc hat 2 missions rewarding kit modules. "All that glitters" and the replayable one after that. They used to be MK XIII blue, dont know if they were nerfed too.

Edit: Another module source are lock boxes. These modules are nowhere else to get and several of them are real good.
  • Options
    sheepsshipsheepsship Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What do you do with all your Mark, Dill and EC, if I may ask?
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't remember which mission, but I do know for a fact that one of the Delta Quadrant missions rewards you with a random purple XIII module, based on your career.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    tasilatasila Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Run the Borg Mission Assimilation in the BORG ARC until your eyes bleed for your modules they are purple XI but they are better then most blue XII
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    tasila wrote: »
    Run the Borg Mission Assimilation in the BORG ARC until your eyes bleed for your modules they are purple XI but they are better then most blue XII

They changed that in a recent patch. The mission gives greens now instead of purples.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    sheepsship wrote: »
    What do you do with all your Mark, Dill and EC, if I may ask?

I don't mind at all:

Marks - They kinda just sit there. I'll convert some to Dil once in a while, it's just a pain in the TRIBBLE to do so.

Dil - Never seems to last among my 10(or 12?) toons. I'm focusing on getting my Redsides their KHG sets.
    Unless there's some shiny thing that I want in which case it turns into Zen.

EC - AGAIN, it never lasts. Stuffs, like the Plasma module, are expensive.
    I'd rather spend as much time as I can bear re-running Assimilation...at least I used to.
    RARELY popped up.
    I never paid much attention to the ground missions so the vast majority of my toons were outfitted with blue xi, so I'm in the process of giving them purples.
    Of course those sexy keys just keep whispering to me...calling my name over and over again...
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    tasila wrote: »

Like me, you're in for a rude awakening.
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It appears Cryptic changed the Assimilation kit module reward from Green to Blue Mk XI.
    I believe it even Crt a Purple when I recently played through with a Delta.

Thank you for the revision as I now have a somewhat dependable source of much needed modules for my new Deltas.
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    deianirrahdeianirrah Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If You are looking for a very rare Kit - I'd propose doing the Surface Tension Episode - You will get a class-specific Kit with [Will]x3[Undine] - which is also part of the Counter Command (ground) Reputation set.

Kit modules - are indeed a problem (unless You made a Delta recruit, they ((did)) get some decent ground gear - if they chose so - every ten Levels, including purple kits and modules and a nice MK X weapon). You can find quite decent very rare modules in the reputation System - and Fleet gear may be well worth a look, too. And You could run the featured Episode Uneasy Allies now for the Romulan Navy kit - which is quite decent and comes with a module as well.

I did compile a list of Episode and Replay rewards, link in my signature - for the frugal player. ;)

Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
    (at) deianirrah
    Free Gear and where to get it
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, here's the thing: there is a cost associated with anything you get or do in this game, whether you spend EC/Dil on it or not. The cost just might not be immediately obvious.

Put simply, time is money. Almost literally so in this game, because dilithium is a time-based currency. The "standard" return on your time, if you will, is 480 dil per 15 minutes of gameplay, which at current exchange rates comes out to about 1.7 Zen. Master Keys are 125Z and average around 2.3MZ on the Exchange, which makes each Zen equivalent to around 18-20kEC.

The upshot of all this? Your time is worth approximately 32 dil per minute, which is equivalent of around 2kEC/m.

That's really just a baseline--you can make much more than that simply from vendoring drops alone. The point is that when you buy something off the Exchange for EC, you are paying for the time that someone else spent to acquire it--time that you no longer have to spend doing so. You can, of course, grind for it if you want--just be aware that the time you spend doing so is time that might otherwise be spent making the money that it would cost to simply buy the thing you want.

Pay currency to save time, or pay time to save currency. Either way, there is a cost. Factor that into your considerations of whether or not you're truly saving money by not spending EC.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I thought they said they were going to be enhancing the difficulty system? In my opinion, the scaling is working as intended but the rewards nowhere near compensate for the challenge. Drops should be slightly more frequent and guaranteed blue Mk XIII or above for level 60 players, imo.
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Are there any plans to make modules craftable, or upgradable? :confused:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    deianirrah wrote: »
    If You are looking for a very rare Kit - I'd propose doing the Surface Tension Episode - You will get a class-specific Kit with [Will]x3[Undine] - which is also part of the Counter Command (ground) Reputation set.

Kit modules - are indeed a problem (unless You made a Delta recruit, they ((did)) get some decent ground gear - if they chose so - every ten Levels, including purple kits and modules and a nice MK X weapon). You can find quite decent very rare modules in the reputation System - and Fleet gear may be well worth a look, too. And You could run the featured Episode Uneasy Allies now for the Romulan Navy kit - which is quite decent and comes with a module as well.

I did compile a list of Episode and Replay rewards, link in my signature - for the frugal player. ;)

Of the Kits, I use Fluidic almost exclusively.
    The modules you get from Delta rewards are useful for that toon, but I still had the original problem of attainable Purple stuffs without resorting to the Extortion...I mean, Exchange.

I hope your list is current ;)
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    So, here's the thing: there is a cost associated with anything you get or do in this game, whether you spend EC/Dil on it or not. The cost just might not be immediately obvious.

Put simply, time is money. Almost literally so in this game, because dilithium is a time-based currency. The "standard" return on your time, if you will, is 480 dil per 15 minutes of gameplay, which at current exchange rates comes out to about 1.7 Zen. Master Keys are 125Z and average around 2.3MZ on the Exchange, which makes each Zen equivalent to around 18-20kEC.

The upshot of all this? Your time is worth approximately 32 dil per minute, which is equivalent of around 2kEC/m.

That's really just a baseline--you can make much more than that simply from vendoring drops alone. The point is that when you buy something off the Exchange for EC, you are paying for the time that someone else spent to acquire it--time that you no longer have to spend doing so. You can, of course, grind for it if you want--just be aware that the time you spend doing so is time that might otherwise be spent making the money that it would cost to simply buy the thing you want.

Pay currency to save time, or pay time to save currency. Either way, there is a cost. Factor that into your considerations of whether or not you're truly saving money by not spending EC.

I've considered this a while back.
    Dil is used for alot of important things, so I've never been able to keep a decent pool of it...for long.
    Right now, I'm looking for ways of getting what I need without dipping into Dil.
    Time is a factor, which is why running a Mission with what I need as a reward (or a good chance at it) makes more sense...to me.
    NO to ARC
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rezking wrote: »
    Of the Kits, I use Fluidic almost exclusively.
    The modules you get from Delta rewards are useful for that toon, but I still had the original problem of attainable Purple stuffs without resorting to the Extortion...I mean, Exchange.

I hope your list is current ;)

Power level romulan characters to 50 between now and end of the delta recruit event. Be sure not to skip any mission that gives a kit reward.. Sell all the romulan and reman boffs they give you for leveling. Sell all the bonus rnd materials.

The first run through assimilation still rewards purple.

You'll get plenty for yourself and plenty to sell.
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    robyvision wrote: »
    Are there any plans to make modules craftable, or upgradable? :confused:

I'd be shocked if they didn't eventually add this to the crafting system. It's an obvious choice for another crafting category. I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect in one of those dev interviews, too.

But that doesn't help get kits in people's hands right now, of course.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd be shocked if they didn't eventually add this to the crafting system. It's an obvious choice for another crafting category. I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect in one of those dev interviews, too.

But that doesn't help get kits in people's hands right now, of course.

The thing is they already have. "Turn 11 rubidium into one mark 12 purple module" exists on game right now. So does "turn 141 titanium into one superior beam upgrade kit"

But envy and hatred keep players who need to use these recipes from accepting them as real.

Trick is, theyre not in the rnd system. They're in the auction house.

Rubidium costs ~24k each, so selling 11 will give you more than the 250k required for 99% of the purple kit modules. Z-particles go for 45k, you only need 6 of them and you can get that from two harvesting nodes inside a mission.

Tritanium, the green material, goes for ~1200 so 141 give you enough to buy a 170k purple upgrade kit. You can get 10 from doff missions that are common (usually 4 or 5 in each sector) 15 or 20 on a crit (plus one or two blues)

Players have to give up their hatred of the auctionhouse. Instead of rejecting it and labeling the people using it as "evil extortionists" pretend that it is a crafting recipe. Use it to get anything you want or need.

Yes prices fluxuate. Be patient. Tritanoum has lows near 400 and highs over 2400. Instead of saying "evil marketeers are trying to manipulate the price to TRIBBLE me over" just say, "wow its down to 400, lemme check my verteron traces instead. They're also low? Well then, lemme buy a stack, craft a few dozen green components and sell those. Or, maybe I feel lazy, I'll just check again tomorrow."

There are a million excuses. But with the exception of a few really outrageous kit modules (melorazine, seeker drone, rally cry, etc) they all cost less than what you get for selling 5 white duty officers (recruited for free from the academy) or less than 1/4 the average value of one "request rnd assistance" doff mission.

The only difference between using the auction house and a real recipe is in the mind of the player.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Did they nerf the Assimilation reward? It always used to reward purple. I used to farm that mission a lot last year. I will run it and check.

Edit --- Well, just looking at the reward listed when I selected it for replay, it said the kit reward would be "rare" so, yes, indeed the mission reward was stealth nerfed. Typical Cryptic business as usual, it was not mentioned in any patch notes that I remember reading.

Well... TRIBBLE. :(

I know, not terribly constructive, but it sums up my thoughts on that little stealth nerf rather nicely.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only difference between using the auction house and a real recipe is in the mind of the player.
    Listen to this person. They know of what they speak.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster