test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's happened to the Borg shield drain?

khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
edited March 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
So erm, before Thursday my shields could usually hold up against the Borg shield drain to some extent. Yet now it's like I may as well just take my shields off and save them the bother of using their drain on it. Even my science ships are struggling to keep a single facing up against the increased drain.

I've never died so many times in ISA as I have since Thursday, between the gateway and the naninte spheres, my shields are gone in a second.
Had you not put enough people off of these missions yet, so you thought you'd try harder or something?
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Yes. They were buffed to a point of absurdity, and neither the Delta shield, power insulators, ST, HE, nor anything else I've seen makes you able to reasonably deal with them - except a stupid amount of DPS (or not drawing the aggro). It's rather unpleasant.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    tfcivtfciv Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've always used shields with high regeneration on ships with high shield modifiers, so it's not really a big deal in that situation, your shields regenerate right back up in no time (hopefully before a 200k crit hits you). But yeah there is no way to defend yourself to prevent the new drain buff - as the Borg say: Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My Galaxy R handles it well. Shields are overrated.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd say it's possible shield drain from NPCs all around was super buffed.

Example: I did the Solanae Dyson Sphere final episode 'Surface Tension' so I could work on getting the various episode rewards. When I got to Qo'Nos to fight the Undine they seemed to drastically drain my shields. This was the first small group of only a few ships so it wasn't a matter of taking damage from too many enemies at once like further in when the Enterprise finally shows up and you have 50 Undine ships to kill.

I just be flying around shooting them and notice all 4 shield facings rapidly go down to absolutely nothing in just a few seconds.

I had noticed the same thing happening with Borg ships in the Borg episode series as well since this patch went live.

It's starting to tick me off. I could understand if I was playing the episodes on advanced or elite difficulty, but on normal difficulty the shield drain shouldn't be that friggen high. It ends up making things too difficult which is what I'm trying to avoid and why I only play episodes on normal mode. I just want to have fun, not grit my teeth and have my blood pressure go up trying not to be blown up in a game. :(
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ya, you're pretty much hull-tanking the Borg in STF's at this point.

Having the Kobali Zombie Cruiser console along with the ships Mastery Trait helps with that as well as using the beefier ships in general and and hull traits like Biotech Patch + higher aux-Nukara Defense for resistances. Attack Pattern: Expertise adds another damage soak, relatively small, but everything helps at this point.

I haven't had to run from any of the fights in ISA or died like a lot of my PuG members so far but it's definitely a frantic game of whack-a-mole on my ability bars and I greatly appreciate traits like Reciprocity, All Hands On Deck, and the Zombie Cruiser trait now.
  • Options
    internetonsetaddinternetonsetadd Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is either unintended, a bug, or incredibly bad game design. Flying around without shields or having to repurpose a build solely to deal with shield drain and STILL not keeping shields up is not fun. If it was intentional, I'm not sure why the designers thought this was a good idea. I don't really pug, but the last thing the game needs right now is another reason to avoid queues like the plague.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    This is either unintended, a bug, or incredibly bad game design. Flying around without shields or having to repurpose a build solely to deal with shield drain and STILL not keeping shields up is not fun. If it was intentional, I'm not sure why the designers thought this was a good idea. I don't really pug, but the last thing the game needs right now is another reason to avoid queues like the plague.

The thing which leads me to suspect it is a bug, is that Borticus was addressing concerns over changes which were announced a couple of weeks back about shield drains and specifically said they would not affect NPCs as they were only changing player related powers.

Though the Dev's have been even more quiet than normal since Thursday's patch, which seems to have introduced numerous issues, so I've no idea if they're planning on addressing any of the problems or not.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    wen1503wen1503 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a result of the improvement to tachyon beam for players.

It's fairly easy to counter. Hazard emitters to stop the drain, then use a shield repair skill. Delta rep shield has a 50 percent shield drain resist. Points in insulator skills help a lot.

Adapt a bit, it's mostly a timing order of power's thing...most people have low level science team's and or HE.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hazard Emitters has no effect on Tachyon Beam.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    shields? we don't need no shields!

only puny weaklings need shields!

real captains use armour! (and duct tape)
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    for 50 years star trek shield were the main reason why spaceships didnt instantly explode
    this has changed recently