test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new voice talent coming to STO is...

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
Liam McIntyre (Spartacus in Spartacus: Vengeance and War of the Damned, Weather Wizard in The Flash)

Well, this is unexpected... :P

EDIT: It seems he will be portraying Mark Mardon/Weather Wizard in a future episode of The Flash. The villain from the pilot episode was Clyde Mardon, played by a different actor. Both are brothers and bank robbers who have the same power to manipulate the weather.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Who?

• Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sequel to TOS's "Bread and Circuses"? <g>

Liam has a great voice. Welcome to STO indeed.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looks like he will be voicing a completely new character or give voice to a current one. Although, why they are spending money on him instead of bringing in another Star Trek actor is beyond me. As a voice actor, you can play multiple roles so I don't understand why Garrett Wang, Roberto Picardo, Tim Russ, Micheal Dorn, or Ethan Philips couldn't have voiced the new character.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Looks like he will be voicing a completely new character or give voice to a current one. Although, why they are spending money on him instead of bringing in another Star Trek actor is beyond me. As a voice actor, you can play multiple roles so I don't understand why Garrett Wang, Roberto Picardo, Tim Russ, Micheal Dorn, or Ethan Philips couldn't have voiced the new character.

According to Kestrel:
    How this came about was very simple (and fortunate!):

The voice director we work with, Lani Minella, contacted us and said Liam was interested in working on STO. We said "Sure thing! Here is a part that would work for him." (Well, not exactly those words, but you get the drift.)

He was awesome, and I hope we have him back again soon.
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    According to Kestrel:

He wanted to be in the game. That is interesting...
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    I'm betting he voices...a Jem'Hadar.
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He wanted to be in the game. That is interesting...

He must never have played it.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For a moment, I thought it was Liam Nelson and was expecting a Taken plot (involving Iconians or their Heralds).

But a Liam McIntyre works too.
  • Options
    neoknight357neoknight357 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The most significant piece of STO is finally getting a voice...

The Lockbox!
    Former whale, now free. Support the No More Dough 4 STO campaign!
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Does Sulu have a voice yet? If not I'm calling it!

(actually I have no idea, that was just the most prominent unvoiced npc I could think of)
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Does Sulu have a voice yet? If not I'm calling it!

(actually I have no idea, that was just the most prominent unvoiced npc I could think of)

if he does get a voice maybe they should let sulu get out more, i mean all he does is stand there and pretend to be busy
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have never heard of Liam McIntyre. I have no idea who he is.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Weather Wizard eh

Hope he was better than his lil bro in the pilot of The Flash
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For a moment, I thought it was Liam Nelson....

I don't remember seeing Liam Nelson in Taken... but there was they guy Liam Neeson. :P
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Probably too soon for them to be revamping the Cardassian arc, so I guess he isn't voicing Joshua Riker! :P
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Huh. An actor expressing interest in doing VO for this game of his own initiative?

I mean, I'm perfectly willing to believe plenty of actors would be willing to VO for STO if asked, but I'm amazed there's even one actor who would actively seek to be in the game.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He is a big Star Trek and Sci Fi nerd..I met him at NYCC he is a really cool guy

See nerds come in all shape and form, and some with awesome abs:D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing Liam Nelson in Taken... but there was they guy Liam Neeson. :P
    Sure you did...he was the stunt double for Mr. Neeson
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    He is a big Star Trek and Sci Fi nerd..I met him at NYCC he is a really cool guy

See nerds come in all shape and form, and some with awesome abs:D

And STO is the only official way to have a role in Star Trek in the same universe with Kirk, Picard, and Sisko at the moment. The only other way is the <shudder>next Star Trek movie</shudder> or one of the fan projects like Axanar or Renegades.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Huh. An actor expressing interest in doing VO for this game of his own initiative?

I mean, I'm perfectly willing to believe plenty of actors would be willing to VO for STO if asked, but I'm amazed there's even one actor who would actively seek to be in the game.

I'd do voiceover. First of all, voiceover is fun. Trek is a fun sandbox to play in.

Second, a relatively obscure actor who appears once on a live action Trek show can, if they manage themselves properly, have a lifetime income just doing Trek circuit. Which is work at that level but you'll never have to flip burgers if you're smart about it. This isn't a Trek TV show, sure. He's also a step beyond obscure.

However if you're already a genre actor and already doing conventions, a little Trek cred never hurt. The effect probably isn't what you'd get from a show but if you're already working that circuit, it's not a bad move.

Kind of like how every genre actor seems to gun for at least one super-hero or super-villain. Because at the very least, it's a nice resume line and then you can talk about how you've done a comic book project.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'd do voiceover. First of all, voiceover is fun. Trek is a fun sandbox to play in.

Second, a relatively obscure actor who appears once on a live action Trek show can, if they manage themselves properly, have a lifetime income just doing Trek circuit. Which is work at that level but you'll never have to flip burgers if you're smart about it. This isn't a Trek TV show, sure. He's also a step beyond obscure.

However if you're already a genre actor and already doing conventions, a little Trek cred never hurt. The effect probably isn't what you'd get from a show but if you're already working that circuit, it's not a bad move.

Kind of like how every genre actor seems to gun for at least one super-hero or super-villain. Because at the very least, it's a nice resume line and then you can talk about how you've done a comic book project.

The Trek cred for doing STO is far less than doing any TV series or even the new movies. No one is going to invite a STO VA to a convention. However, this guy might get to conventions through his Flash work or other future work. This VA work seems to be more about because the actor finds it fun rather than promoting his career.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ironcaniac wrote: »
    I'm betting he voices...a Jem'Hadar.

Actually, didn't Dust to Dust hint at the possible return of the Krenim? If so then McIntyre might voicing one of them.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I for one can't wait to see Liam McIntyre, battle in a Roman Arena against Tacofangs :eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I for one can't wait to see Liam McIntyre, battle in a Roman Arena against Tacofangs :eek:
    To quote Kor: "It would be GLORIOUS." ;)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    an aussie voice on sto? i expect it to be upbeat, the character i expect to see on some swamp like planet, a big tough starfleet survivor is found and wrestling with an alligator like creature just for kicks, almost steve irwin like? ;)

but more seriously though, i have no idea who this person is, but if he is willing to expand on the voice overs on sto rather then 3 or 4 that usually do it including lani. will see what comes of his role on sto.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Love the reactions

WHO?

as if they said Starlord before Guardians of the Galaxy came out....
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would like to hear more of Ethan Phillips, but Spartacus will do :D
    You guys think that one of his favorite command skills are overwhelming shields, and phalanx formation :P
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Y'all need to watch Spartacus.

It's pretty good, think of it as a live action comic book.

Full of nudity & sex, blood & gore, cussing & stylized dialog.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Y'all need to watch Spartacus.

It's pretty good, think of it as a live action comic book.

Full of nudity & sex, blood & gore, cussing & stylized dialog.

i watched a few episodes years ago when it first came out, last thing i wanted to see is a naked lucy lawless in her 50's and sausage parties along with horribly made background animations of rock formations red clouds, and when someone is apparently running.

i lost interest in it after the first 10 minutes in the first episode, but i kept watching to try get into the whole thing, it didnt work out so well.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.