test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Particle gen build: reverse TCR?

platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
Currently building a particle gen build (275+ particle, 128 combat aux), and I have questions on something.

What is the deal with reversed TCR. Everyone swears but it, but it seems VERY situational to actually use.

For one, you gotta be close to use it.

For two, using it on clumps of ships make a huge mess, and this only seems effective to do the same thing as regular TCR: getting ships away from something, like nanite spheres.

For three, you've now done tons of damage to ships, which instead of exploding a safe distance away are now exploding nigh on top of you.

For four, it is VERY unsafe to use in some situations, like CCA where a reversed TCR shoves tons of exploding shards into your face.

And finally, there is little to do as supplementary damage, since they are moving erratically or getting towed, leaving your fore weapons completely useless compared to a GW.

If you're using a reversed TCR, why are you using it and how? It seems very impractical compared to Tyken's (which ticks at the same rate of damage) or Tachyon beam (which is getting a shield strip buff and boosted by Deteriorating secondary deflectors).
Post edited by platewearingbird on

Comments

• Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do you mean TBR (Tractor Beam Repulsors)? It's one of the most damaging Science skills I've got. My Gravity Well III for example can hit anywhere from 1.500-10k (depending on debuffs/buffs) per tick while my TBR II hits for 5-12k per tick and has a lower shared cooldown so I can use TBR I shortly after for around 2.5-6k. I'm far from being an expert (still learning how to optimize my piloting and build) but on my current skill level, I use them to:
    • Finish off stragglers from my GWs
    • Drag NPCs to where I want them to go (like dragging enemies outside of a GW into a GW
    • Bunch enemies behind me so I can shoot a grav torp from my rear (I have that sloted as an aft weapon) when my GW is on cooldown, then I swing around and fire the rest of my weapons at the grouped mobs
    • As a damage supplement on stationary objects
    • Pull NPCs away from mission objectives (such as Nanite Spheres in ISA)

It's easy to avoid warp core breaches (have Evasive ready) if I need to. I'm sure others will add more.
  • Options
    bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'll try my best to go over each one individually:

275 is very low, but workable. Please be advised any form of dps via PrtG is locked behind Particle Manipulator (lv 15 R&D Sci trait) and without it you will do no where near the amount of damage you would. Rough napkin math I'd guess a 66% reduction in damage. Because of the way particle manipulator works, you can gain 100% crit on all exotic at 400 PrtG. Some people say the sweet spot is in the 350-375 range for investment vs damage. I always saw it as tac consoles. If you have 5, you use 5. 450-500 constant is achievable with full upgrades. 700's with temp buffs/doff/sb buffs etc. Also Aux level only effects TBR if you have nukara Aux:offense slotted.

You do have to be close to use it, which allow you to build around this fact. There are many complimentary abilities and weapons to go with this. EWP is 100% crit due to Particle Manipulator. With a ship cycling EptE/EptS (EptE/EptA for prtg boost in pve) you should be able to both tank and outmaneuver any problems with eating explosions.

In response to 2, TBR build are not about CC as much as they are about effective damage. You are 100% ignoring shields. If you want to cc things, invest into grav gens and a gw + aftershock build. I'm not saying you can't use TBR as CC, however, its primary function with the reversal doff is damage. With full intel tree, scans, analysis, gather intel, debuffs, flanking, etc you can see tbr ticks go into the 30-35k range in pve.

In response to 3, see two paragraphs above and get familiar with abilities such as doffed a2d, polarize hull, and brace for impact.

In response to 4, absolutely correct. If I ever had to do CCA on my sci, I would switch to a torpedo spread with gravi torp (pre delta) and grav well + aftershock setup. I have done CCA with TBR pull a few times, its not difficult if you are properly rotating abilities, but I'm sure the pug group didnt appreciate it much :P

In response to the final point, there are many things that actually do compliment the damage. 8472 torp's debuff to movement speed and Particle Emissions Plasma torp for the plasma disable give you free "pull strength" during procs. EWP allows you to pull things behind you while doing extra damage via the ewp ticks. The delta 3 piece gives you the most bull**** ability in the game, Isokinetic Cannon which gets a lovely boost from your PrtG and gains 100% crit via Particle Manipulator. Nukara and Tractor Beam Mines can also be used to compliment the build.

Here is a link to a more pvp centric scryer build that was so boring to play, that its essentially the reason I uninstalled the game. It can give you a baseline of what to expect a high PrtG ship wants to run, however some of the boff skills are a bit more pvp oriented due to players ability to fight back....until hit by ionic turbululz/emp.

Please note, for the amount of time and resources you will expend to build a ship around tbr...you could build scims for 3 chars and just faw....and do more damage, but thats a conversation for another thread. Disclaimer, I have not played on holodeck since late december, only tribble recently so I have no idea of any interaction of command skill/boff vs PrtG builds. Par for the course was buff prtg every update though, either directly or indirectly, so I would imagine there are more items/skills to compliment TBR builds.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    TBR pull on my Nebula is my main damage ability (I do *not* use gravwell). The ship is a berserker. You are supposed to be close to the enemy, rush in, youa re essentially performing melee ship combat. Pull them in a cloud of war plasma and support your damage with torpedoes and disabling beam attacks. Of course high particle generator skills and particle manipulator help with the whole setup (or make it worthwhile to begin with). Add to that a DFF that adds a chance to disable enemies in your EWP cloud and you can CC very reliably. A ship that can take a bit of damage is recommended though, hence the Nebula is a good choice that can also slot armour consoles.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bwemo wrote: »
    In response to the final point, there are many things that actually do compliment the damage. 8472 torp's debuff to movement speed and Particle Emissions Plasma torp for the plasma disable give you free "pull strength" during procs. EWP allows you to pull things behind you while doing extra damage via the ewp ticks. The delta 3 piece gives you the most bull**** ability in the game, Isokinetic Cannon which gets a lovely boost from your PrtG and gains 100% crit via Particle Manipulator. Nukara and Tractor Beam Mines can also be used to compliment the build.
    Do not, i repeat, DO NOT forget the new Constricting Anchor console from the Vaadwaur lock box.
    The CC is nice to have and it gives a passive 23%(!!) Bonus to all exotic damage.

It's dirt cheap on the Exchange too.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The biggest attraction is that it's 100% predictable.

You use TBR w/ DOff, you pull in 3 targets and only 3 targets to yourself, a central points.

You use TBR w/o DOff, you could fling any number of targets any number of directions.

Dive into the middle of a group of Spheres and pop TBR without the DOff, see how far they all get separated from each other, plus your team prefers grouped enemies always vs enemies throw away, possibly out of weapons range.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have long considered getting him. The 15 million pricetag always puts me off.

I save the repulsors for big targets who can't be pushed and for solo targets. This does mean that I don't use them as much as possible, however, I also have the borg set tractor to fill in maybe twice an ISA.

I have around 90% crit for exotic. The only way I see to get to 100 is to use solanae deflector however I will not break up my assimilated set for 10%
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Do not, i repeat, DO NOT forget the new Constricting Anchor console from the Vaadwaur lock box.
    The CC is nice to have and it gives a passive 23%(!!) Bonus to all exotic damage.

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa 23%?!?!?!?! Good god, I almost junked the ones I dropped during my box opening spree !!!!(keys from saved up stipend zen)
    I need a beer.

• Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Woah! thanks for the heads up! I would never even have thought of even looking at it, had nobody said anything! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Woah! thanks for the heads up! I would never even have thought of even looking at it, had nobody said anything! :D
    Neither would I, had i not gotten one from opening a lock box.

Which is probably why it is so cheap. This is most likely THE most overlooked and underrated console in the entire game right now.
    Must be due to the fact that up to now, special ability consoles never gave passive boosts.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

Don't know what you do with your in-time game and forum reading because that's all science part gens captains talked about since it came out.
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bwemo wrote: »
    I'll try my best to go over each one individually:

275 is very low, but workable. Please be advised any form of dps via PrtG is locked behind Particle Manipulator (lv 15 R&D Sci trait) and without it you will do no where near the amount of damage you would. Rough napkin math I'd guess a 66% reduction in damage. Because of the way particle manipulator works, you can gain 100% crit on all exotic at 400 PrtG. Some people say the sweet spot is in the 350-375 range for investment vs damage. I always saw it as tac consoles. If you have 5, you use 5. 450-500 constant is achievable with full upgrades. 700's with temp buffs/doff/sb buffs etc. Also Aux level only effects TBR if you have nukara Aux:offense slotted.

You do have to be close to use it, which allow you to build around this fact. There are many complimentary abilities and weapons to go with this. EWP is 100% crit due to Particle Manipulator. With a ship cycling EptE/EptS (EptE/EptA for prtg boost in pve) you should be able to both tank and outmaneuver any problems with eating explosions.

In response to 2, TBR build are not about CC as much as they are about effective damage. You are 100% ignoring shields. If you want to cc things, invest into grav gens and a gw + aftershock build. I'm not saying you can't use TBR as CC, however, its primary function with the reversal doff is damage. With full intel tree, scans, analysis, gather intel, debuffs, flanking, etc you can see tbr ticks go into the 30-35k range in pve.

In response to 3, see two paragraphs above and get familiar with abilities such as doffed a2d, polarize hull, and brace for impact.

In response to 4, absolutely correct. If I ever had to do CCA on my sci, I would switch to a torpedo spread with gravi torp (pre delta) and grav well + aftershock setup. I have done CCA with TBR pull a few times, its not difficult if you are properly rotating abilities, but I'm sure the pug group didnt appreciate it much :P

Here is a link to a more pvp centric scryer build that was so boring to play, that its essentially the reason I uninstalled the game. It can give you a baseline of what to expect a high PrtG ship wants to run, however some of the boff skills are a bit more pvp oriented due to players ability to fight back....until hit by ionic turbululz/emp.

Please note, for the amount of time and resources you will expend to build a ship around tbr...you could build scims for 3 chars and just faw....and do more damage, but thats a conversation for another thread. Disclaimer, I have not played on holodeck since late december, only tribble recently so I have no idea of any interaction of command skill/boff vs PrtG builds. Par for the course was buff prtg every update though, either directly or indirectly, so I would imagine there are more items/skills to compliment TBR builds.

Well that'd explain a bit, I'll have to get busy on my Sci R&D and invest in a Constriction anchor.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Oh well, that's another console that I need to add to my science toons' shopping lists.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Don't know what you do with your in-time game and forum reading because that's all science part gens captains talked about since it came out.

There's a place where science captains talk? All i ever see are the occasional threads on these forums...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have long considered getting him. The 15 million pricetag always puts me off.

It's nice that they are helping Scis in the post DR game but yeah, it gets pretty damned expensive.

If you like using Space Magic though, it's so worth it. Slot 2 copies of TBR and let the fun begin.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's nice that they are helping Scis in the post DR game but yeah, it gets pretty damned expensive.

If you like using Space Magic though, it's so worth it. Slot 2 copies of TBR and let the fun begin.

You know, I think you've sold me. Space magic is what my game is all about. Time to trade some colored traces for the tractor pull.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    sufreasufrea Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    An option for getting away from warp core breaches is the Delta set. The warp core itself, from the Delta set, allows you to jump 5km away from where it was initially activated. This works while stuck in a tractor beam or constriction anchor (even tho it's not suppose to?).

The whole set provides movement speed and turning that help change 180 degrees much faster, for the enemies you're dragging behind you with TBR. You will likely sacrifice particle gen if you equip the whole set. If you want more versatility/survival over dps, this sacrifice is valid. I use the entire Delta set, at mk xiv, and I'm happy with it.

--

My opinion of reverse TBR? It's a tactician's skill. Use it wisely and be rewarded. Spamming the ability without forethought will likely have you sitting under a respawn timer. It has an awesome number of applications if you use your imagination. Here are a few:

- TBR, reverse or normal, can remove the need for FAW in many situations. For example: when surrounded by mines, fighters, Tholian webbing nodes, or other easily destructable objects. TBR can destroy these targets faster than FAW, for captains that focus on part gen and not beam weapons. My beam weapons are little more than headlights.

- Using evasive, eject warp plasma (if you can find a spot for it), and TBR together while spinning in tight circles will lock most enemies in a two/three layer cloud of death. You can use eject warp plasma without evasive to great effect.

- Reverse TBR is ok with tyken's rift, as it shares a cd with grav well. This combo is not good unless you're more focused on drain, or have the appropriate secondary deflector equipped. TBR is better when used inside a grav well, for a number of reasons.

- Using scramble sensors or intel emp will stop enemies from shooting at you while you're dragging them with TBR. Scramble sensors will apply radiation damage with the same 2nd deflector as TBR, intel emp will not.

- You can drag enemies into ambush points, for command. This is better when used in tandem with another player, not your own ambush point. Similar outcome when going through minefields.

- Enemies will not be able to casually run away from your abilities while under the affect of TBR. This point is accented with the change to turbulence.

- With practice you can control which direction your opponent is facing, in relation to you, denying them the opportunity to use all of their fore weapons and some of their skills. This is a very challenging tactic. At present, only reverse TBR has this kind of control option.