Low FPS no matter the graphic options

duncanaelduncanael Member Posts: 19 Arc User
My spec:

Win 8.1
Ati 6850
AMD Phenom II x6 1090 Black edition
8Gb RAM
Using a wireless internet connection.

No matter what resolution i choose, 800x600 or 1920x1080 and trying different graphical options i play with low FPS, sometimes it is 40 FPS and sometimes it goes under 15 FPS.
Post edited by duncanael on

Comments

• Options
    texastrekkietexastrekkie Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have been having the same problem. I had installed another video card over the win 8 one, changing a setting in the bios. I took it out tonight and will let you know if that fixed my issue.

(I realize my issue may not be related to yours, but thought I would post it just in case)
  • Options
    marshaldunnikmarshaldunnik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yep, same issue. Have played this game on and off since beta on the same computer - was top of the line in 2010 - just upgraded the GPU a couple times. Came back after a 2 year absence and suddenly the game's performance has taken a nose dive.

Fleet engagements are slideshows. Any content above 10 player ships is basically unplayable, even on Low settings.

Changing settings has no effect. Textures consistently low. Did set vid memory to maximum levels, no effect.

Have an open ticket, but I suspect my GPU, a (very modest) GTX 550Ti, is just too new for the Champions Online engine. The rest of the system blows the ancient recommended sys rec's out of the water, as would any modern gaming PC.

Maybe I should try running in DX9 instead of 11?

Why do I suddenly feel as if I've found some old DOS floppy with a few games on it and when I try to play them it doesn't work. So...anyone got a DOS emulator for STO, then?!?

Not that it really matters, I suspect, but here are my stats. Pretty sure it can play Chamipons Online. Erm, STO.

Win 7 SP1 64bit
    ASUS P5Q PRO
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    8 GB G.Skill DDR2
    GeForce GTX 550Ti
    Fiber Optic DSL
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Major Frame rate issues also. Tried all manner of graphic settings to now avail. Problem is really noticable in large spawns firing weapons. Frame rate will drop to 1-4 frames a second, completely unplayable. Ive been playing since 1st year anniversary, this problem has only come up in the last few patches... I dont understand what could be causing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Where in the game are these frame rate issues happening to you guys?

DR content by chance?
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yep, same issue. Have played this game on and off since beta on the same computer - was top of the line in 2010 - just upgraded the GPU a couple times. Came back after a 2 year absence and suddenly the game's performance has taken a nose dive.

Fleet engagements are slideshows. Any content above 10 player ships is basically unplayable, even on Low settings.

Changing settings has no effect. Textures consistently low. Did set vid memory to maximum levels, no effect.

Have an open ticket, but I suspect my GPU, a (very modest) GTX 550Ti, is just too new for the Champions Online engine. The rest of the system blows the ancient recommended sys rec's out of the water, as would any modern gaming PC.

Maybe I should try running in DX9 instead of 11?

Why do I suddenly feel as if I've found some old DOS floppy with a few games on it and when I try to play them it doesn't work. So...anyone got a DOS emulator for STO, then?!?

Not that it really matters, I suspect, but here are my stats. Pretty sure it can play Chamipons Online. Erm, STO.

Win 7 SP1 64bit
    ASUS P5Q PRO
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    8 GB G.Skill DDR2
    GeForce GTX 550Ti
    Fiber Optic DSL

Same game issues here...your specs are better than mine.
    I believe my problems started with LoR.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    dev1961dev1961 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    its the game engine. have amd 8 core, r9 270x gpu. I dint lag but rarely go over 40 fps. I max out every game I play but this 1
  • Options
    gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    AMD A10-7850K Quad Core APU (iGPU disabled)
    GeForce 750ti
    8 Gigs of DDR3 1866 RAM

I usually hover around 112 frames per second in DirectX 11 mode, it will occasionally drop all the way down to the lower 40's in maps that a ton of enemy ships all shooting weapons at once and The crystalline entity PvE cue.

So on my low end CPU and "low power" video card I am not sure why my end runs so much better.

Since my 750ti card has no 6 pin power connector is is basically just a hyper glorified 550ti
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • Options
    thebigzeethebigzee Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm having similar issues. I was playing a few hours ago, no problem, everything runs fine. And now when I start the game, no matter what graphics settings I use, the game will run smooth for a few seconds, and then it will drop to less than a frame per second, every... single... time... I can't play this at all, and that really sucks.
  • Options
    mecteshmectesh Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ozy83 wrote: »
    Major Frame rate issues also. Tried all manner of graphic settings to now avail. Problem is really noticable in large spawns firing weapons. Frame rate will drop to 1-4 frames a second, completely unplayable. Ive been playing since 1st year anniversary, this problem has only come up in the last few patches... I dont understand what could be causing it.

Aye, and extremely so in some of the recently revised missions (e.g. Researcher Rescue) and almost every Delta Quadrant "patrol mission". It's as if the graphics settings are being dialed up to max "behind the scenes", regardless of the player's own settings, and/or they've added a huge number of objects (asteroids, debris, etc.) to the map. I've also noticed that the backgrounds in these cases appear to be multiple layers vs. a single "static" image. If they chose to, they could follow a couple different paths to address it:

1. Actually have "min" mean what it implies: minimal/minimum, only drawing those layers and objects that are actually critical to completing the mission.

2. Take the approach of other games such as LotRO and have both "low res" and "high res" variants available, so that players with hardware that meets the currently published minimum specs can actually play (and enjoy) the game, while those that spend more on their hardware than some people do on their homes can run with all settings on "max".

It "would be nice" if a dev or mod with access to older hardware could review this, mark the topic as "confirmed", and post that they're both looking into and working on the issue.
    Mac mini Server (mid 2011): 2GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.2