Install Arc
Options

"No shards are available to your account at this time."

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ddx2k wrote: »
    Who really cares about someones join date, and what does it matter? Wow...

It matters because SENIORITY MUST BE RECOGNIZED! I must let everyone know that I WAS HERE BEFORE THEM! (maniacal laughter) :D
  • Options
    seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You know, I wonder what they do during this down time. Every downtime is a few hours, which is fine, I'm not complaining, but what is the actual maintainance? it doesn't take that long to install a patch, and even some of those can be hotfixes that don't require bringing down the server.

They can't possibly be replacing parts every week, can they?
  • Options
    fosslasfosslas Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not doing it now and patch avail :)
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You know, I wonder what they do during this down time. Every downtime is a few hours, which is fine, I'm not complaining, but what is the actual maintainance? it doesn't take that long to install a patch, and even some of those can be hotfixes that don't require bringing down the server.

Probably not. Usual maintainence would just be the patch. Unusual maintainence like this might involve new parts being installed, but I reckon they are performing thorough maintainence on everything to try and fix the lag/DC problems.

That's my guess at least.
  • Options
    bloodtak3rbloodtak3r Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Guess it is time to go to bed. I has to work can't stay up waiting will grind away tommorow.
  • Options
    cantrill1cantrill1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    to be honest i dont mind extra downtime if it fixes things that arent working as intended, but when we log back in and nothing has changed i often wonder what they have done, and lets not forget some of us naively subscribe yet get no compensation for extended down time
  • Options
    krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Patch server is up now
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Probably not. Usual maintainence would just be the patch. Unusual maintainence like this might involve new parts being installed, but I reckon they are performing thorough maintainence on everything to try and fix the lag/DC problems.

That's my guess at least.

Except that this isn't unusual. Normal maintainance is a few hours, every week, usually 7-9 UTC, whatever that is.

I suppose I could venture a guess that they're verifying that all the files are still intact and that the corruption is at a minimum, as well as updating the server software, but it would be interesting to hear from them what they do.
  • Options
    spiral70spiral70 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just started playing STO Yesterday and servers go down for patching, now they will be down for another 3 hours(6 hours Total). Go figure!
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Except that this isn't unusual. Normal maintainance is a few hours, every week, usually 7-9 UTC, whatever that is.

I suppose I could venture a guess that they're verifying that all the files are still intact and that the corruption is at a minimum, as well as updating the server software, but it would be interesting to hear from them what they do.
    On the CO forum they also mentioned they were doing an entire Server shutdown/restart this week - presumably to help with the lag. So not only are they implementing the normal weekly Patch, but they are doing Account Server maintenance, and a Server restart. Putting it all together probably accounts for the extra time.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tommyatstarfleettommyatstarfleet Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well at least the patch update is coming up now, so thats a start
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    just want to point out for all of those UKers who are saddened by the game being down for so long during their peak playing time: It's because the account server has ran into some issues.

No point in trying to log in if you can't.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    just want to point out for all of those UKers who are saddened by the game being down for so long during their peak playing time: It's because the account server has ran into some issues.

Peak playing time? It's dinner time!
  • Options
    ddx2kddx2k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    It matters because SENIORITY MUST BE RECOGNIZED! I must let everyone know that I WAS HERE BEFORE THEM! (maniacal laughter) :D

You nailed it.^^
  • Options
    reddeadshirtreddeadshirt Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    like i said i dont care what u think, as i dont beleive a word u say cos talk is cheap

and fyi with join dates if it dont say jun 2012 i dont beleive a word they say about their join date, urs us jul not jun your in that class of the peeps who i dont beleive no matter what u say u wont get out of that group. so you can stop trying to flame/spam what you think LOL

Simultaneously funny and sad that this would matter to anyone. Do you remember when you could view the total hours you've played since joining, then, no more? Imagine that number now, and what else you could have done with your time.

Do not go quietly into that downtime, rage against the patching of the server.
    Shirt, Redd Shirt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dandyludandylu Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, I know that I'm able to patch both holodeck and tribble, but can't log into either one yet. Just taking patience.
  • Options
    sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Simultaneously funny and sad that this would matter to anyone. Do you remember when you could view the total hours you've played since joining, then, no more? Imagine that number now, and what else you could have done with your time.

Do not go quietly into that downtime, rage against the patching of the server.

and why would i listen to you? your signture says i shouldnt as your one of them in the little group of delta moaners! try again troll and this time try not to tell players what they love LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
  • Options
    shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    They have a regularly scheduled 2-3 hr maintenance period every Thursday around 6-9 AM Pacific time; this is when patches are applied, etcetera.

Sadly, it's become rather common (over half of the ones in the last three months) that the game is not back up by the originally announced end time.

If I were cryptic I would state an inflated timespan each week with a message to the effect that they can't do it do to a lack of power halfway through the span. Then finish early and claim to be a miracle worker.
  • Options
    grabnetningrabnetnin Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Alt Rising, Rise of the dental alt accounts! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Update 5 (10:19 AM PST) Running a few final checks and it shouldn't be much longer until the servers are unlocked. We'll keep you posted.

Sounds good.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    szim wrote: »
    Sounds good.

At least I'm all patched up already. Now all we need is the green light.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Probably not. It's possible though that they found an unexpected hardware problem during the maintenance testing this time; and it's taking a while to get the issue fixed. Maintenance IS done for a reason - and it's better they identify and fix something rather then just having the server crash outright.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    darkwilow13darkwilow13 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2015

What most people don't get or know about is that when they refer to "The Server" they're actually talking about a bank of servers known as a server farm not just a single machine. It takes time to shut down each machine, duplicate code changes across multiple machines and then bring those same machines back up and check them all. This is why the process takes a certain amount of time. It is NOT like rebooting your computer and takes only a few minutes.

I worked for a company that supplied real time stock data to fortune 500 companies and our server farm was HUGE, didn't have that many simultaneous users compared to any MMO so who knows exactly how many servers they have to upgrade each and every week.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What most people don't get or know about is that when they refer to "The Server" they're actually talking about a bank of servers known as a server farm not just a single machine. It takes time to shut down each machine, duplicate code changes across multiple machines and then bring those same machines back up and check them all. This is why the process takes a certain amount of time. It is NOT like rebooting your computer and takes only a few minutes.

I worked for a company that supplied real time stock data to fortune 500 companies and our server farm was HUGE, didn't have that many simultaneous users compared to any MMO so who knows exactly how many servers they have to upgrade each and every week.

True... but don't confuse fortune 500 competency with cryptic studios.

SOME server farms are as you describe. It appears Cryptic went the "bargain" route and use the same servers across all their games, up to and including cross-chat from other cryptic online games being possible inside STO. I would be surprised if the physical hardware was more than 2, maybe 3 machines, not counting virtual instances and virtual machines multiplied on a single hardware computer.

EDIT: P.S. With the amount of corporate correspondence, server share folders, backups (so many backups! Must save the data!), I bet a fortune 500 company has far more server requirements than any online game, ever. That includes WOW. The tech infrastructure in these companies is enourmous.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    o.O well this is different... patch d/led to 96% and is stuck there
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I fully understand that. I actually assumed that when they said the "shard" was coming down, they literally meant the "Shard", the boards loaded into the mainframes. I'm aware that the server isn't a single machine, a single harddrive, a single processer, etc.

However, having worked on these before, I also remember having a central workstation where I could push to every machine I was connected to. If I had to send a file, an update, a command, I could do a broadcast and boom, every machine was done at once. Duplicating the code across two, twenty, or two hundred for that matter, shouldn't be that hard(unless there are errors and THEN you have to do them all individually, god help that poor soul).
  • Options
    darkwilow13darkwilow13 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    True... but don't confuse fortune 500 competency with cryptic studios.

SOME server farms are as you describe. It appears Cryptic went the "bargain" route and use the same servers across all their games, up to and including cross-chat from other cryptic online games being possible inside STO. I would be surprised if the physical hardware was more than 2, maybe 3 machines, not counting virtual instances and virtual machines multiplied on a single hardware computer.

EDIT: P.S. With the amount of corporate correspondence, server share folders, backups (so many backups! Must save the data!), I bet a fortune 500 company has far more server requirements than any online game, ever. That includes WOW. The tech infrastructure in these companies is enourmous.

I guess I should have known that but I figured with it being a COMMERCIAL website that they would at least have approximately those same requirements given that the user base is so much larger at any given moment. But now I recall any financial transactions are NOT conducted onsite and you're redirected to the website that handles all that.

I'm stunned about the cross game chat thing though, that's just .....different I guess would be the pc term. Multiple games on the same server too, whew. No wonder they have to change the gerbils so often.