test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Making Of Command Ships

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Captains! Want to learn about how our new Command Ships were built up? Our latest dev blog by Phil "Gongonzolla" Zeleski shows what went into building these tough ships!

You can check out our blog here.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wish I liked the designs of these but they're just not my taste. I do think the Inspiration mechanic could be interesting but am sadly not willing to pay to try it out.

Edit from Page 3:
    iconians wrote: »
    I would like to point out I would like an option to use my Odyssey, Bortasqu', or Scimitar as a Command ship, even in a watered-down capacity. It makes sense from a lore perspective, and hope that Cryptic's team are in the process of allowing us to retrofit ships we've already invested a great time of love, EC, Zen, and Dilithium into, in order to allow us to take advantage of these great Intelligence and Command specializations.

I do not mind throwing a few bucks at Cryptic, I would just like to be met halfway, and to be recognized that I and others like me already have our favorite ships, and that the T5-U mechanics do not currently go far enough.

It is a shame to see the potential of these Intel and Command specializations paywalled in such a fashion.

I FULLY FULLY FULLY SUPPORT THIS COMMENT.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Good read. I enjoyed reading that the art design informed the mechanics. Though ship type was informed by necessity of certain weapons being consistent across the factions.

Might we get another blog about taking the Enterprise-F contest art toward adapting them for the game?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My thanks to the ship team for these. I picked up the Fed pack with some stipend and dil I had, and I couldn't be happier. Very solid ships and despite others hating on the command powers, I find them rather useful and fun to use. From the looks to the performance, I love them.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pretty much the idea for them to be all relatively the same stats is by far the smartest thing that has been done in the last 12 months lol.

My only issue of them besides the fact that one looks like the vo'quv variant I have never used/didn't like and the other looks like a bortasqu' which just was a nice gesture from Cryptic when they had the ody coming out but relatively became a disaster. The other issue besides the look of them is that new game mechanic it just feels like the way it is explained that its another +1% gimmick soon to be followed by a 5% nerf.

Not to offend anyone but yeah its way over priced and the mechanic will most likely be a gimmick to start with and then after sales go down on it will be an outdated nerfed gimmick.

Plus just me personally I have enough battle cruisers what the KDF really lacks and one of the things its well known for is the bops which compared to battle cruisers we don't have much of any of them. Especially being there is only one c-store bop you can buy lol.
  • Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The hanger bay and the pets being meant for defense is cool. It's exactly how I fly mine. Elite Peregrines on intecept command - keeping the command ship protected instead of mixing it up in the field.

I really like the 'mobile fortress' feel that these ships have to them. I'm enjoying them quite a bit.
  • Options
    zeke53zeke53 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Great ships, an awesome combo of offensive abilities and toughness. A pleasant surprise after some of the intel ships, glad i bought the fed pack. I've leveled my tac and engi variants all the way to T5 and thy perform great. Do wish they would fix some of the lag so players could enjoy them more though. :cool:
    -Zeke
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I always apreciate blogs with insight like this one, I hope we'll see them more frequently in the future when releases like these happen. :)

I commend you about the design direction, these command ships really do look like something that would come out of their respective factions and I'm glad you went with distinctive yet standard look for these ships unlike the intel ones, which IMHO just look bad and completely out of place for the playable factions in a Star Trek game.
    I espeically approve of the design directions for the Federation bundle, with retro-looking engineering hulls, neck sections and circular saucers. However with the ellegant predatory bird style of the Romulan ones, I think you've hit home-run. Hands down the best looking ships in STO. I have to give compliments about the Baratan design, that ship is gorgeous as well as the Ty'Gokor that looks kinda' weird, but I've really come to like.

As for the command ships themselves in terms of stats, layout, performance and the inspiration mechanics - they're great for me, they suit my playstyle perfectly and I'm glad to finally see this type of ship in the game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was hoping for a lot more on the art side of these things' creation. There's a myriad of different influences both small and obvious in these things and I'm curious how many of them are intended and how many are incidental.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Absolutely love the new ships. The design philosophy for the Republic ships seems to be taking the Scimitar and giving it an updated Romulan look. Agree with shpoks above that these ships look perfectly at home alongside - or IMO as part of - ST canon.

These are great ships. I and several fleetmates bought one or more of these ships right out of the gate - very impressive to see them in action!

I like the explanation of the under-the-hood design as well. I found it a little strange at first that the 'science' variants didn't have any auxiliary power bonus, but I can see that these ships were specifically designed to only have minor technical variation. Makes sense. And they all seem to fly great as battlecruisers anyways.

Other than that... wow, just incredible design! :D
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Romulan ship design is absolutely outstanding. Worthy replacements to the scimitar which has the hull shape of a door stop. A pity they cannot equip drone ships.
  • Options
    proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    if these are all battlecruisers can the fed one mount the defiant cloak console like the avenger/ if not why/
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    From the look of it
    The Romulan navalarchitect used Rhino and other fancypants stuffs.
    The Klingons used Sketchup, for it was the easiest one to use.
    The federation doesnt have any money to aquire a license...
    but they dont want to use illegal copy like the romulans
    So they used Blender.
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    proteus22 wrote: »
    if these are all battlecruisers can the fed one mount the defiant cloak console like the avenger/ if not why/

No, they can't. Because the Federation is not suposed to use cloak and because it's pretty pointless on this type of ship.
    Plus being a battlecruiser has nothing to do with having a cloak.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would love it if the R.R.W. Lieset was retconned into a Vastam or Deihu-class warbird. Using a WMD as the Republic's flagship just seems wrong.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I was hoping for a lot more on the art side of these things' creation. There's a myriad of different influences both small and obvious in these things and I'm curious how many of them are intended and how many are incidental.
    It just so happens that there's another blog coming soon... :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I would love it if the R.R.W. Lieset was retconned into a Vastam or Deihu-class warbird. Using a WMD as the Republic's flagship just seems wrong.

No, no, no.......you're missing the obvious - the Romulan flagship needs to be retconned into a Baratan Class. I mean, just look at that particular ship from the three - when observed from above it looks exactly like the Romulan Republic logo. It's the visual embodiment of the Romulan Republic. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nice article.

The reasoning for the hangar bay actually makes sense and i do like it as to where before i just thought "tacked on hangar... jadda jadda jadda".

There is one thing another forum member mentioned that does strike me as odd. They are called battlecruisers but don't have the same cruiser commands as other battle cruisers. Semantics but they are important to some players and help with continuity. :confused:

edit: I do actually like the change of pace STO has taken lately. I can only assume that it is more work to push all the stuff from concept to finish but it's awesome to see ships that really look like Star Trek. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    No, no, no.......you're missing the obvious - the Romulan flagship needs to be retconned into a Baratan Class. I mean, just look at that particular ship from the three - when observed from above it looks exactly like the Romulan Republic logo. It's the visual embodiment of the Romulan Republic. :D

Personally I like the flagship being a Reman ship commanded by a Romulan. What could be more symbolic of the Republic's spirit of cooperation between the two races?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I love the Romulan Commad Ships, I like the Dederation ones minus the secondary hull, and I have to get used to the Klingon ones.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You guys really need to stop taking picture of the Vastam in that angle. It's easily the most beautiful ship out of the nine, but it looks like the worst out of the 9 with them facing forward like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Personally I like the flagship being a Reman ship commanded by a Romulan. What could be more symbolic of the Republic's spirit of cooperation between the two races?

I have no problem with a Reman ship commanded by a Romulan, or a Romulan ship commanded by a Reman as the Republic's flagship.
    What I have problem with it that ship being the garbage scow that is the Scimitar. :D Besides, don't tell me you can't see just how apropriately the Baratan looks for a flagship, like I said - it's basically the Romulan Republic logo. Plus it's a new ship, just like the Odyssey and Bortasqu' while the Scimitar is so 40+ years old by now. And I do agree with psycoticvulcan that a ship with WMDs as flagship is poor form for the Republic.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I want to point out that I really like these blogs. I love to know more about what the design team actually discusses in-house before creating something. I want to thank Mr. Zeleski for taking the time to create the blog, and LaughingTrendy for publishing it.

These are the kinds of blogs that offer some more transparency with their decision-making, and allows them to properly showcase what they have come up with from a design perspective, rather than a marketing perspective.

Although I have no desire to purchase any of these Command ships, I look forward to additional blogs that cover these topics and topics like them.

I would like to point out I would like an option to use my Odyssey, Bortasqu', or Scimitar as a Command ship, even in a watered-down capacity. It makes sense from a lore perspective, and hope that Cryptic's team are in the process of allowing us to retrofit ships we've already invested a great time of love, EC, Zen, and Dilithium into, in order to allow us to take advantage of these great Intelligence and Command specializations.

I do not mind throwing a few bucks at Cryptic, I would just like to be met halfway, and to be recognized that I and others like me already have our favorite ships, and that the T5-U mechanics do not currently go far enough.

It is a shame to see the potential of these Intel and Command specializations paywalled in such a fashion.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    stumpfgobs wrote: »
    Nice article.

The reasoning for the hangar bay actually makes sense and i do like it as to where before i just thought "tacked on hangar... jadda jadda jadda".

Yeah, I was tempted to throw a #SlapAHangarBayOnIt at them myself when I first saw it, but their reasoning makes sense here.
    There is one thing another forum member mentioned that does strike me as odd. They are called battlecruisers but don't have the same cruiser commands as other battle cruisers. Semantics but they are important to some players and help with continuity. :confused:

That's really my only minor complaint. Personally I think they should have the full compliment of cruiser commands. Seems a bit off to me that my so-called "Command Battlecruiser" doesn't have all the, well, cruiser commands. Especially since the Fed versions have a visible array of antenna on the top which is perfect for relaying commands to the rest of the fleet. Yet my antenna array only has half the commands lol.

Ehhh, oh well. Like I said, only a minor complaint. I love everything else about these ships though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited February 2015

On the other hand, what does the symbolism of the Republic's flagship being a flying WMD with nacelles slapped on it say...?

I agree with your sentiment but I think the positive message of unity implied by the make of the ship is outweight by the message of war and death implied by that ship class' history.

Besides, the Baratan certainly looks like it has Scimitar influence - which means Reman influence. One, or perhaps up to all, of these ships could easily be joint designs from Romulans and Remans. Though ultimately still Romulan ships, there's clearly cooperation. Considering this, is the symbolism ultimately any different? Same message you're going for without the bad juju the Scimitar has.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well unfortunately that gets into a Rule of Cool area. Think of the dilemma there. Sure, Cryptic could have put the Scimitar in without a thelaron weapon, but wouldn't there have been an outcry from players "What's the use of adding this thing without the Theralron weapon from the movie?!?!"

Anyway, the way I always look at STO canon is: the event depicted in the missions happened. The rest of the player-side stuff mostly doesn't, so I don't have to reconcile the federation captain who flies a vaadwaur ship with a crew full of jem hadar, talaxians and borg. I don't think we see the Llieset use a thalaron device. It may not be equipped with one.

That said, I really, really like the Romulan command ships, they're brilliant. And if Cryptic wanted to announce the retiring of the Llieset with one of these new ones becoming the flagship, it wouldn't bother me one bit.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    It just so happens that there's another blog coming soon... :)

Wonderful! Can't wait to see it. Promise it'll have lots of neat concept art? ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I don't think we see the Llieset use a thalaron device. It may not be equipped with one.

It's not about whether it's equipped with one or not, though. You said yourself, it's the symbolism. That's what's important.

Loathe though I am to invoke Godwin's law, it's like a high-profile German diplomat deciding to use one of Hitler's cars as his ride in an official motorcade. It's just a car, there's not even a TRIBBLE in it, but it's still a pretty bad idea to drive it around, especially to public events or on sensitive political outings...

It's really hard not to invoke Godwin's Law when the subject is about actual (albeit fictional) bad things, but at least I'm not blowing a dev post out of proportion with TRIBBLE comparisons. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    We don't know what the Llieset's service history was. It may never have been used to house a thelaron weapon. We only know of one Scimitar in canon that had one and it got blown up.

The analogy would be more like a German official riding around in the same model car as one Hitler used. I'm sure some would fault them for that, but I wouldn't. The entire production line is not responsible for what one person got up to in one car. And speaking in-universe, how do we know some Republic citizens don't consider the Llieset to be a controversial choice?
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I really enjoyed this blog posting - it's nice to see some of the curtain drawn back.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!