test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic does listens to players...but players are "sometimes" resistant to change.

dark4blooddark4blood Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
When it comes to the recent upgrade options, Cryptic has again held the hand of players to the point that mix match DILITHIUM sets are significantly better than the original set they were intended to complete.

When this was brought up on a DPS channel, many argued that the dilithium cost of experimentation would be TOO great to try to weed through poor stat rolls. However, the stats on MANY sets are already very poor, like the adapted M.A.C.O deflector which has basically ever deflector stat spread out, and the Adapted M.A.C.O Shield which has the 1% chance to deflect damage.

If the set stats that are available to Space Sets were applied to the upgrades of Dilithium sets it would give people the OPTION to keep the look an feel of the original 3-4 piece set instead of the need to mix and match with a Tholian set or Romulan set. People have complained a long time about the inability to customize their looks, but the current upgrade system is limiting that even more as people try to compensate for weaker 3 piece sets with a single piece from another set.

Also, Cryptic shortsighted approach as again eliminated the need for special bonus setups due to the original 3 piece set being inferior. The upgrade system was a great chance for Cryptic to balance many of the problems on the game by offering not only increased attack power, but increased defense options, which are far behind attack power.

Lastly, in thinking of people's complaints adding an option in the upgrade menu or Random or Fixed would keep the sets the same for people who think it would be TOO expensive to experiment.

Now, before people compare this to PVP damage mods or other useless mods on other types of gear, this RANDOM option would ONLY be applied to MODs that are part of those sets. For example; Inert, SI, SS, Grav would be random with deflector mods only. I am not talking about adding USELESS mods to other types of gear, but making it random similar to weapons and secondary deflectors which already have these options.

The problem is most DPS people don't want this as they see it as another DIL sink, but if done this way, it would actually help players setup their best ships with the sets they want to an NOT the sets Cryptic has applied pointless stats to.
Post edited by dark4blood on

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So, basically you are proposing that we be able to create, perfect modded gear sets for ourselves?

I don't think they will go for that!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dark4blood wrote: »
    When this was brought up on a DPS channel...

Which DPS channel?
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Which DPS channel?

10k channel.
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    I truly commend you for your bravery, sir.

It seems that this guy didn't take the time to consider our retorts instead believing in his opinion as undeniable 100% accurate. So much so that he rushed on here to reach an even larger audience. This is why I commend your bravery...

So to summarise that somewhat verbose post, what this guy essentially wants is the space reputation gear (or any reputation gear I suppose), which you purchase at a considerable dilithium cost at Mk XII Very Rare, to get a RNG determined set of modifiers from a pool similar to the secondary deflectors. However, where the secondary deflectors are a random modifier from a small pool of option placed at Ultra Rare and a set modifier at Epic, I believe this guy wants RNG outcomes from a larger pool for both quality upgrades.

This is because he believes that you should have the OPTION to bin a reputation item that cost 500-1000 marks and 15000-32500 dilithium if you don't like the modifier. Well you have to bin it because they are bound to character and cannot be put on the exchange.

In my humble opinion, what we have here is somebody who has very limited knowledge of the state of play within STO and is grandstanding an idea that got shot down in the DPS channels. If you disagree, please don't be shy in letting the poster know your opinion to such a change to the system. And of course if you agree, please add your comments so that we can have a robust discussion and thoroughly thrash this out. But I suspect those who agree would be in the minority... I've been wrong many times before and maybe wrong again...

Regards,

Snipey
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The last thing we need is RNG applied to other systems to make them as useless as the R&D system. Seriously, the rep system is now the only reliable method of getting your gear. Why do you want to mess up our nice things? We have so few of them left.

I don't count the exchange as a reliable source for getting the gear you want because some poor soul tortured itself to sell the one semi-useable item in 50 attempts.

Edit:
    The system is broken because of RNG and the existence of too many useless and broken mods.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To clarify... if you want to specific gear and/or better [Mods], Craft Mk II versions until you get the [Mods] you want. Then, spend dilithium to Upgrade the gear that has what you wanted in the first place. This cannot be done with the Rep gear because they removed all lower Mk versions some time back (much to my chagrin, as I was using Assimilated Mk X as a low-cost Sector-Space "clicky" at the time), and there never has been Mk II Rep gear. Without using both the Crafting and Upgrade Systems together, the entire thing is a waste of time, resources, and effort...

Now if/when they actually allow us to select our [Mods] in the Crafting and/or Upgrade Systems, I'd welcome your idea. With the current state of both Systems, however, my response is a simple, "Nuh uh."
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RNG is evil. It is bad, and a detriment to this (and any) game. Don't ever request anything that relies on it or feeds it.

Your basic argument was: You don't mind spending WAY too many resources for a 1-in-256 chance to get the ONE SPECIFIC mod you wanted, and if you didn't? You'd bin it and waste millions of dilithium in hundreds of attempts repeatedly to get that one SPECIFIC mod you wanted.

That's insane, quite clinically.

The only way such a system works (large pool of RNG mods) is if the process is cheap enough and accessible enough that people don't MIND losing their gear over and over and over if they don't get it right. This crafting/upgrade system is rather bungled and gives you no customizability yet all the delays and extreme costs. In short, we have the worst features of any crafting system in any game. Ever.

Your system would actually make people STOP upgrading. It's happening already. Nobody wants to spend the absurd extortion -- er, I mean "prices" -- to upgrade stuff right now. Imagine if it were far more costly by an order of magnitude? Nobody would bother. Except the uber rich whales, that is. The ones with compulsive behaviors and/or OCD complexes.

You fail to see any of these problems and just were ranting and raving that you wasted an upgrade to get a mod you hated. So.... imagine that 256 times in a row. Because even if the odds are 1-in-256 there's no guarantee you will even get it after that. Each roll is independent of any other roll.

And that is why the RNG is an evil SOB that should never be relied upon nor fed. Don't feed the RNG.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Rep items are both far more expensive to acquire AND upgrade right now.

So...add in a mechanic to generate vendor trash from these expensive items? I'm glad I ignored the conversation going on in 10k about this. It seems quite insane. Who would waste mountains of dilithium on this?
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem is they only listen to the pvpers, which complain about every little change like their entire life is ruined. Which leads to extra development time and stagnation. It's quite sad, but it is what it is. :(
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When it comes to the recent upgrade options, Cryptic has again held the hand of players to the point that mix match DILITHIUM sets are significantly better than the original set they were intended to complete.

When this was brought up on a DPS channel, many argued that the dilithium cost of experimentation would be TOO great to try to weed through poor stat rolls. However, the stats on MANY sets are already very poor, like the adapted M.A.C.O deflector which has basically ever deflector stat spread out, and the Adapted M.A.C.O Shield which has the 1% chance to deflect damage.

If the set stats that are available to Space Sets were applied to the upgrades of Dilithium sets it would give people the OPTION to keep the look an feel of the original 3-4 piece set instead of the need to mix and match with a Tholian set or Romulan set. People have complained a long time about the inability to customize their looks, but the current upgrade system is limiting that even more as people try to compensate for weaker 3 piece sets with a single piece from another set.

Also, Cryptic shortsighted approach as again eliminated the need for special bonus setups due to the original 3 piece set being inferior. The upgrade system was a great chance for Cryptic to balance many of the problems on the game by offering not only increased attack power, but increased defense options, which are far behind attack power.

Lastly, in thinking of people's complaints adding an option in the upgrade menu or Random or Fixed would keep the sets the same for people who think it would be TOO expensive to experiment.

Now, before people compare this to PVP damage mods or other useless mods on other types of gear, this RANDOM option would ONLY be applied to MODs that are part of those sets. For example; Inert, SI, SS, Grav would be random with deflector mods only. I am not talking about adding USELESS mods to other types of gear, but making it random similar to weapons and secondary deflectors which already have these options.

The problem is most DPS people don't want this as they see it as another DIL sink, but if done this way, it would actually help players setup their best ships with the sets they want to an NOT the sets Cryptic has applied pointless stats to.

Geko still won't sleep with you.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not quite sure what the title has to do with the text...

Anyway, perhaps I'm being ignorant but don't Set items have predetermined modifiers when they go UR / Epic quality?

But yeah; don't feed the RNG, unless you have lots of patience and will play the Mk II crafting game. Personally, the very low chance of success with an upgrade means that I simply won't bother with quality upgrades beyond Mk XIV. Worrying about CritDx4 and Gold gear is simply a form of self-flagellation; the game certainly doesn't require you to do so.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ^The mechanic WOULD not change ANY of the current possible modifiers on space sets, it would only give you the OPTION to make it random. i don't understand why SO many people have selective reading issues here. I even said there would be a bubble option added to the upgrade screen for random or fixed, this way you can decide whether experimentation is pointless and too expensive. I think, the "option" is better than being forced to play checkers with different sets to get what you want all the while negating piece bonuses.

Because to some, something is not 'optional' if it leads to best possible performance, no matter how cost prohibitive.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ^The mechanic WOULD not change ANY of the current possible modifiers on space sets, it would only give you the OPTION to make it random. i don't understand why SO many people have selective reading issues here. I even said there would be a bubble option added to the upgrade screen for random or fixed, this way you can decide whether experimentation is pointless and too expensive. I think, the "option" is better than being forced to play checkers with different sets to get what you want all the while negating piece bonuses.

No selective reading, no matter how much you would like to tell yourself that.

Choosing an optional set of mods, with the potential for garbage, would be frankly stupid. These items are expensive. Why would anyone blow through millions of dilithium for this? Crafting cheap stuff is already an exercise in annoyance and frustration. Are there that many people with more money than sense? I'd like to think no.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    This. Very much this.

These players managing to get 100k (or whatever) DPS out of X ship spring to mind. I mean, yeah, their DPS is phenomenal, but so what? Okay, they get bragging rights - but they have to have spent an obscene amount of money to acheive these things - and is that really something to be proud of?

But the idea was universally shot down in the 10k channel. People in other DPS channels were rolling their eyes about it. The person wanting this is NOT a 100k DPS person. He/she/them/it wants to be able to have a chance at the mods they want, with the ridiculous costs it would likely accompany.

Reality and your breakdown are two completely different things. No one seems to want this "spend tons for the mods you want" mechanic, except the OP. That's the complete opposite of what you're implying.