test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dynamic Cloth Improvements (skirts, capes, sashes)

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
edited February 2015 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Just a little sneak peak at some improvements that have been made to many of our dynamic cloth costume pieces. Not sure when it will hit live, but overall the skirts and loin cloths shouldn't look like they're resting on invisible balloons. Also all of the dynamic cloth should feel weightier and more realistic - not like fabric floating underwater tethered to hot tub jets!

That said...our cloth system is pretty basic, yet difficult to work with. There will likely be imperfections, but it is hopefully leaps and bounds better than what it was before.

http://imgur.com/rEN2F6z
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• penwyvrenpenwyvren Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Will this affect things such as the tailcoats on the fed admiral uniform?
  • lordtrekkielordtrekkie Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nice! </10chars>
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2015
    Promising!
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I love this! Does it apply to fed uniform skirts or not?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Very nice.

Just out of curiosity... could something similar be applied to say... ponytails? I know Ponytail 5, which is over the shoulder, might be difficult, and all the hairstyles in general are pretty much static models, but I'm just curious about potential applications outside of clothing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh, those look very good compared to how they are now :)
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    penwyvren wrote: »
    Will this affect things such as the tailcoats on the fed admiral uniform?
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I love this! Does it apply to fed uniform skirts or not?

It only affects our cloth items that are dynamic. That means only items that can flutter in levels with wind for example. Like, you might notice an Orion loincloth flowing around and undulating (probably too much), while at the same time a romulan civilian skirt holds it shape, only moving with the legs. The loincloth is dynamic cloth, while the civilian skirt is skinned to the hips and legs.

Many long coats and most skirts are actually just skinned and are not dynamic (therefore they won't be affected by this).
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity... could something similar be applied to say... ponytails? I'm just curious about potential applications outside of clothing.

Our cloth system does have a lot of potential...unfortunately, it's mostly potential for headaches and bugginess :P

For hair, it would take a lot of setup and tweaking and the results would still end up pretty janky.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss!!!!

I love you and I will name my second child in your honor.

And now if the Lead Content Artist Executive Producers could unlock Off-Duty wear for Boffs? :o

Please Please Please?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Our cloth system does have a lot of potential...unfortunately, it's mostly potential for headaches and bugginess :P

For hair, it would take a lot of setup and tweaking and the results would still end up pretty janky.

I can understand that. I just figured I'd ask about the potential. Janky might even be an improvement over the "Too much hairspray" stiff. lol

Something to play around with at least right? :D

And thank you for the communication. Hearing about what you guys are playing around with and being able to provide feedback is very nice. Who knows... maybe ideas can be bounced aorund.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Excellent work, Joe! Looking forward to this going live.

I do have a question though. How does this interact with Ferasan/Caitian tails? My Ferasan KDF wears the honor guard cape and the tail clips though. I understand if its not possible since the tail is a separate option, I'm just curious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • catriecatrie Member Posts: 0 Media Corps
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the skirt update. However, I have questions regarding the rest of that picture. Will Orions be able to wear the Formal shoes with the Orion outfits now? When wearing the formal outfits, will we now have access to boots, gloves and armbands?
  • xlesha911xlesha911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    leSwTn0.png
    This is real "Before" :D
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That will be a big improvement! Honestly there old way looked like it was inviting an upskirt for some reason.

You gave me a laugh with the "WTF IS THIS $#!+" reference too. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just a little sneak peak at some improvements that have been made to many of our dynamic cloth costume pieces. Not sure when it will hit live, but overall the skirts and loin cloths shouldn't look like they're resting on invisible balloons. Also all of the dynamic cloth should feel weightier and more realistic - not like fabric floating underwater tethered to hot tub jets!

That said...our cloth system is pretty basic, yet difficult to work with. There will likely be imperfections, but it is hopefully leaps and bounds better than what it was before.

Picard ftw!

Also Joe you do amazing work, really looking forward to this.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I can't see the invisible balloons you talk about (which is kinda logical), but I can clearly see 2 other balloons !
    Hey, someone had to make that joke !

Joke aside, this is great news, and I hope to see that coming soon !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • teck6teck6 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I totally understand where you're coming from, as I have setup my fair share of self colliding physics models. However I think you would find that a majority of users would much prefer some janky hair to the helmet hair options we have available to us currently.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Does this also fix female admiral coat or female korath uniform making the char look like having a really really big behind?;)
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    teck6 wrote: »
    I totally understand where you're coming from, as I have setup my fair share of self colliding physics models. However I think you would find that a majority of users would much prefer some janky hair to the helmet hair options we have available to us currently.

Yeah, I have to agree, even if we can never have proper hair physics it would be nice to have basic running and falling on all the various hair styles and maybe in the future we could get proper physics if the engine can handle it.

It's a little odd watching my character's hair stretching around the neck when she runs lol
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, my Orions appreciate the improvement to their loin cloths. Now if they could colour them purple....:rolleyes:
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    themartian wrote: »
    Well, my Orions appreciate the improvement to their loin cloths. Now if they could colour them purple....:rolleyes:
    If they could colour them or any other part of their outfit anything but drab that would be nice! :cool:
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That hairstyle on the Orion seems new. It resembles Slicked Back 03, but the hairline is different. Hmmmm.....
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Any chance that this will help stop tails from clipping on KHG capes when it comes to wearing them with Ferasans, or is that a whole other issue?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1

that looks pretty cool.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like this type of improvement on old, but frequently used/encountered tech.

( Now lets hope some time can be found to fix hairstyle beaming animation graphical unloading order! :) )
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Great, now please unlock the large color palette for ALL costumes, so we can wear the canon uniforms of Star Trek in a Star Trek game.
    Greenbird