test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Invest in a real ISP?

tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
Since November 2014 european players are unable to play because you chose to use cogentco as your ISP. Are you at least investigating switching to a real ISP? Are you even aware of the issues? You'd calm a lot of us down just by saying you are aware of it and trying to get us back into the game.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• recnamokenrecnamoken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Greetings from Germany, i have no idea what you are talking about. Connectivity is fine for me. No lag, besides the server lag in the event areas that affects everyone.
  • wykinwykin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Op is right.
    Im from germany and i cant play in the primetime.
    Most of the time the launcher just does nothing..
    there is a like 3 hour period each day around prime time i cant play.
    And it all started somewhere around end of 2014.

And yes, i also wont spend more money till i can play at prime time again.
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm from somewhere there as well.:D
    For me it's generally bad need to use the US proxy all the time.
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    why the just dont setup server in eu ? it will help a lot of players...mayby they want to do it since it will be great decline in players on us servers.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Greetings From the UK

apart from the usual server issues u guys have I've had no problems in the UK.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    czertik123 wrote: »
    why the just dont setup server in eu ? it will help a lot of players...mayby they want to do it since it will be great decline in players on us servers.

I think because that's extremely expensive and they'd have to pay people in California to fly over to Europe to fix it whenever something goes wrong with it.

Not saying you don't have a point (you do). But Cryptic is cheap when it comes to infrastructure.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If it moved to EU, then Australia would be utterly screwed. 900 ping is just unplayable.

I do agree there needs to be a better ISP though as currently the lag is pretty bad. It probably entails a lot of red tape though, so I can understand the reticence to do it.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    is the infrastructure they use, actually theirs then? i thought they just used pwe's gear.
    Far as I know, PWE doesn't have any gear. If they do, it's not being shared with Cryptic - they bought the right to publish the game, not to produce it. All three Cryptic games are run out of a single server farm on the east coast of the United States (which yes, it's a little weird that their offices are on the west coast, but there you go).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's pretty broken and has been for quite a while. It mostly depends on the times you play at whether you notice it or not though. Some ISP is switching around the routing or gets overloaded at the very same time each work day and at the very same times during the weekends.
    Once it happens, STO is literally blocked for a few hours. You're lucky if you get the launcher to start properly, let alone connect to any sort of server - getting ingame doesn't work during that time.
    And no, it is not some obscure connectivity problem some computer illiterates have. I actually witnessed it live on multiple computers that use different ISPs.

As it is, depending on your time zone (mine being central european), you might be flat out blocked from the game between 9 and 12 pm during the week and a good chunk of the afternoon during the weekend.

Add the other lag and rubberbanding issues and the resetting boffs etc etc playing sto is a very agitating past time at the moment.
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There are a lot of european customers with connection problems for months now.

Iam a customer of Vodafone on northern germany and i have no problems because my provider has maybe a different routing to the datacenter of Cryptic.

But in other regions or with other providers there are a lot of connection issues. There are many and full threads in the german forum. Our CM only posts that Cryptic/PWE is aware of this issue but the problem is still there! In the evening some players have disconnects or can't login from germany.

In the last year traffic from streaming sites like Youtube, Amazon Instant Video and Netflix is increasing and some providers or internet services have problems with peering.

But there are two sites: the providers on the customer site and the provider of Cryptics site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem is actually three-fold:

1) login server is *extremely* slow, sometimes takes literally minutes to load
    2) lag in general/connection related mainly when its evening here in europe (we joke about sto getting laggy when the us wakes up)
    3) server-lag produced by players using too many powers in space events or by strange trait behaviour as we had with those pet-heal/nanite-cloud stuff

In the end space is unplayable most of the time, ground is okay except when its really laggy.
    So if you have issues its propably a mix of nr. 2 (bad ping) and nr. 3 (game server lagging).

Hope they fix this soon.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Far as I know, PWE doesn't have any gear. If they do, it's not being shared with Cryptic - they bought the right to publish the game, not to produce it. All three Cryptic games are run out of a single server farm on the east coast of the United States (which yes, it's a little weird that their offices are on the west coast, but there you go).

Seems being on the east coast myself, I still get horrid connections!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This problem is moths old and addresses major parts of my local in game friends as well as me.

Each day around 18:00 and 21:00 local time in Germany the game gets slow, you get snr and kicks. One can’t even log back in on occasion.

Quality standards in this game have deteriorated the past year in a magnitude which leads me to belive that pwe is best of if major parts of players are simply not enjoying their product and only attempt to stay in touch.

Think they came to the same conclusion in consideration how much they care.

“Be glad you can log at all” mentality distracts best from the sad state of this game.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I think because that's extremely expensive and they'd have to pay people in California to fly over to Europe to fix it whenever something goes wrong with it.

Not saying you don't have a point (you do). But Cryptic is cheap when it comes to infrastructure.

they could have their friends in PWE fix it for them, its been stated a few times during conventions in europe that they operate a team out that way. as for me, ive generally had no problem connecting to the cryptic server in boston, generally writing of course, nothing is ever bullet proof and sometimes these things happen.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am from germany and had the problem too, could even verify it via pingplotter.

But since the anniversary I am not routed via cogentco anymore. I have not changed anything, no proxies etc. Connection seems to be much better for me since that, just the known lags in some social zones.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Each day around 18:00 and 21:00 local time in Germany the game gets slow, you get snr and kicks. One can’t even log back in on occasion.

You do realise that those times in the evening would be peak internet usage times for your respective timezone?

I'm not saying it's not something at Cryptic, but have you considered that this might actually be a regional problem and not directly related to Cryptic's network?

The reason I ask, is that a consistent slow down during those hours is very specific and, given the differing time zones, would not be peak internet usage in the United States...

Though I've not taken the time to compare, I suspect it would be early morning in the US, well outside of US evening peak usage, so I find it strange that any slowdown consistently during those specific hours is related to Cryptics' ISP, and suggests it may be something more local to your location...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    You do realise that those times in the evening would be peak internet usage times for your respective timezone?

I'm not saying it's not something at Cryptic, but have you considered that this might actually be a regional problem and not directly related to Cryptic's network?

The reason I ask, is that a consistent slow down during those hours is very specific and, given the differing time zones, would not be peak internet usage in the United States...

Though I've not taken the time to compare, I suspect it would be early morning in the US, well outside of US evening peak usage, so I find it strange that any slowdown consistently during those specific hours is related to Cryptics' ISP, and suggests it may be something more local to your location...

would be around noon west side, east side is another story entirely, the european traffic ends up going through new york area before ending up in boston i would imagine, it would also be around 4pm, start of prime time hours because kids will have got home and a lot of them will be going on online doing lots of stuff.

edited on imruined previous edit: you previously mentioned around 9pm germany time, cet.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »

So?

I tell half my friendliest to go offline so the other half can stay on without interruption?

Other applications run fine, local internet works fine. According from feedback of players from Austria, Switzerland, France, Netherlands and even South Africa so does theirs. Just Star Trek Online does not.

PWE and Cryptic should take some of the fortune they made out of their customers and invest a tiny bit of it into the quality of their entertainment.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • vkoynovvkoynov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hmm i am from Bulgaria and i've never had any problems with the connection, only the usual lag in some special event zones:confused:
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    im from Germany and I have lags and rubberbanding

not EVERY evening but 3-4 a weak (just quit the game and play someth else then)

also im playn on teamspeak with others and they too have those issues but NOT nessesarily at the same time

one day 1 got the issue and 3 dont

the other 2 have it 2 not very sdtrange

also when i have the problems and i switch to ANY other online game i dont have any lags or rubberbanding there
    this drives me to the conclusion the problem is not me but the gameservers/the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    At evening when I come home from work I might have the chance to do a event daily before the timeouts kick in and me off. Than no STO or CO (& probably no NWO but I don't have that installed) starting about 7-8pm GMT (German Mean Time :P); gaming peak hours.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Its not Cryptics fault, the GCHQ sniffers are too slow...
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    If they gave a monkeys about Europe then they'd have a different server in Europe, but as Borticus said when discussing lockboxes:

Quote Originally Posted by Prower View Post
    Just imagine all that lost revenue from one of the richest areas in the world if this goes the worst case scenario.

@Borticus: Honestly? Probably less revenue than would be lost by not doing any more Lock Boxes.

SOURCE:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/15/star-trek-online-dev-not-concerned-with-losing-global-playabilit/

Cryptic's reputation with issues that affect Europe go way back:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=106260

Just for info, I don't play atm anyway until they sort out the grind TRIBBLE and start adding end game content instead of monetising every last aspect of the game.

One, that's completely out of context as they were talking about countries in Asia, which is a completely different continent to Europe...

Two, it's from an article released almost 3 years ago.

Three, living in Europe I can understand the pain of downtime usually falling into our 'prime time', but I simply understand that it's done first thing in the morning for the people doing the work. I don't expect them to go into work at 3AM just so I can have uninterrupted prime time play one day of the week.

Four, I'm glad they don't have separate EU servers, I avoid games which force you into not being able to play with friends from other places in the world.

Two cents. ;)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I sum it up in one statement: I do not pay money for a game which i cannot play. If it is ok for you to supply me a connection with ping around 1000~2000ms and 70+% packet loss, then its ok for me to play (and pay) some other game.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    East Coast here. Game's progressively more laggy, has more rubber-banding than ever before, and every skill console, space or ground, feels like it has some RNG mechanism whether it will work on a click within a few seconds or not.

Result is dying on ground or space, or failure to use skills that provide a time-limited advantage.

Ground fighting is an exercise in frustration given the speed of events versus the response times of clicking on abilities.

Combined with USER INTERFACE-GENERATED FPS DRAIN that no one seems to give a TRIBBLE about since forever and game-breaking bugs that just pile on every expansion and I just can't imagine how horrible of an experience it must be for anyone not sitting right next to the main server.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Seems being on the east coast myself, I still get horrid connections!

I'm located around there. I don't have it as bad as the Euros, but yeah seems no where is free from the lag. And as mentioned, it is worse in space. Much worse.

Maybe we can have a "End Lag Now" button. For a boat load of Dil, you get put on a good server.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Funny that rubberbanding always happens when new seasons and updates start, events start and end, anniversaries start and end.

I live next to Germany, I am using a mobile broadband Wlan router with about 150-200kb download (has been slower last year), and I havent had any disconnects since ... ages? No sorry, when DR started I was disconnected once.

I am online each day, at different times. Usually around 7pm here, that's when it is 8/9am left or right of America.

Rubberbanding? Sure, also sometimes but only during event times like I said above.