test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

4 hours every day = 8k Dilithium

wardcaliswardcalis Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
Thats basically what Geko said in his recent interview with Priority One podcast. He said the Dilithium is set up in the game and fully designed to be rewarded in the following manner.

"480 Dilithium for every 15 minutes of play." This means to reach the daily cap of 8k you would play for more than 4 hours a day.

I dunno about the rest of you my but my weekly play is about 15 hours a week combined across all of my characters.

And even though he didn't give specific numbers on on exp he claimed ot was to be a time gate the same way Dil is.

I can understand Dil being time gated, after all it can be directly converted to Zen, even though I think 480=15min is rather ridiculous. But not exp. I honestly think that once you hit 60 you should have something like 6 times the normal exp income rate until you have at least 1 primary spec tree filled. Because it's rather ridiculous how long it takes to fill out those spec trees. I don't think I've ever gotten more 3 points in a week. And anytime I got 2 a week was because I was off work. I'm very lucky If I get 1 point a week. They should introduce a 'rested exp' for this system slimier to other major MMOs. it would help this kind of system tremendously without being easily breakable.

EDIT:

Argala is fast yes but annoying in how many runs need to be done to level. Takes something like 12-15 runs to level and according to Geko it takes "10 minutes" to run. Also according to Geko it is "double rewarding". So lets do some math.

15 runs x 10 minutes x2 to put it back at normal. this means at level 60 you should expect it to take 3 hours and 20 minutes to gain a spec point. and frankly thats not even the current reality. I don't farm Argala myself, I might 4-6 runs of it a week, hence why it is taking me so long to gain spec points. But still that seems tedious at best. I personally think an hour per point would be much better.
Post edited by wardcalis on

Comments

• Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe this is why he isn't the boss anymore?
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    olivia211 wrote: »

AAA+ Would approve comment again.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    olivia211 wrote: »

Sadly Geko's position didn't change afaik ... Geko =/= D'Angelo ... best you could hope for is, that the EP - Lead Designer relationship, might change "for the better" ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    OP, you quoted/paraphrased him wrong.

It's "you GRIND for 4 hours every day or you are wrong".
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    By his definition, I am wrong, seeing as I don't do constant-small-grinding, but more Doff-related stuff - manage to make a decent amount of Zen each day through Contraband.

May not seem like much like it's own, but it adds up overtime and I don't really mind; I'm not in this to hit the cap on anything :) Just play the way I choose to
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wasn't aware they considered 480dil to be equivalent of 15m of play time, but now I'm certain season 10 is really just a catfood nerf.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trek21 wrote: »
    By his definition, I am wrong, seeing as I don't do constant-small-grinding, but more Doff-related stuff - manage to make a decent amount of Zen each day through Contraband.

May not seem like much like it's own, but it adds up overtime and I don't really mind; I'm not in this to hit the cap on anything :) Just play the way I choose to
    I do pretty much the same thing as this poster does, I don't do Argala (aside from the first-time run on a character). I, for one, am glad it's not going to be "useful" in the future to go there. It never was useful going there now.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't tell him that you can get thousands in seconds...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Don't tell him that you can get thousands in seconds...
    It's hardly 'seconds', if you're referring to my method - often it takes an entire day to build up enough for the security officer, then another 4 hours to finish the mission. And even then, it's nowhere near the daily cap anyway

It's just slow-but-steady
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    My doffing cycles take no more than 10 minutes per toon and I'm always swimming in contraband. I do it twice a day on 7 toons, a minimum of 28k. For about two hours of time, that comes out to 3500 dil per 15 minutes for me. why factor in the four hours you're not playing or doing other content (like sitting in the Dyson Battlezone).

But I see a great nerf coming to doffing, in the form of sector block removal. My last great source of income is doffing. If I have to spend 15 minutes for 480 dil, I won't play much anymore. That's one less source of content for the whales and casuals to play with.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    My doffing cycles take no more than 10 minutes per toon and I'm always swimming in contraband. I do it twice a day on 7 toons, a minimum of 28k. For about two hours of time, that comes out to 3500 dil per 15 minutes for me. why factor in the four hours you're not playing or doing other content (like sitting in the Dyson Battlezone).

But I see a great nerf coming to doffing, in the form of sector block removal. My last great source of income is doffing. If I have to spend 15 minutes for 480 dil, I won't play much anymore. That's one less source of content for the whales and casuals to play with.
    Well first off, we don't know that the removal of individual sector blocks is gonna be that extreme, and we can't assume such (at least that it's fixed that way). All the missions could be lumped together in the new big ones, or perhaps they could make a system where we cross the previous border lines, and the Doff mission lineup automatically updates on it's own, but without the loading screen.

We don't know exactly what will happen; no reason to panic this early.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Well first off, we don't know that the removal of individual sector blocks is gonna be that extreme, and we can't assume such (at least that it's fixed that way). All the missions could be lumped together in the new big ones, or perhaps they could make a system where we cross the previous border lines, and the Doff mission lineup automatically updates on it's own, but without the loading screen.

We don't know exactly what will happen; no reason to panic this early.

Bit of hyperbole there, "panic". Not panicking here, just looking at relevant past behavior and making a prediction. They've been systematically attacking every form of income in the game for months, and yet when I suggest they'll do it again I'm panicking. Heh.

Doffing seems ripe for a nerf, no? [rhetorical question]

Anyway, I'll concede we don't know anything yet, so my comment about a doffing nerf is pure speculation. My apologies for leading the conversation off topic.
  • Options
    shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you actually get out of your ship and walk around, you can make tons of dil in ground battlezones. You can fill up pretty fast on nukara. New romulus gets a mention since you can get something like 720 from the staging area daily. Don't get me started on the dyson ground bz or the one in the delta quadrant.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Couple of things...

1) Some folks have a really screwed up view of the STO group's organizational chart.

Executive Producer
    -various team Leads
    --various team Members

2) 480 Dil for 15 minutes of play at the Normal level would go back to Cryptic's Golden Rule of 15 Minute's Effort and 15 Minute's Reward. That's at Normal. More effort...more reward. That's nothing new.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Bit of hyperbole there, "panic". Not panicking here, just looking at relevant past behavior and making a prediction. They've been systematically attacking every form of income in the game for months, and yet when I suggest they'll do it again I'm panicking. Heh.

Doffing seems ripe for a nerf, no? [rhetorical question]

Anyway, I'll concede we don't know anything yet, so my comment about a doffing nerf is pure speculation. My apologies for leading the conversation off topic.
    Well, it was a bit of hyperbole on my part too, using panic heh

But still, I don't see those same past actions as 'attacks' on the currencies, so I don't really agree on that point (for me, it takes a 'bit' more evidence to count as such, for a lot of things). Also probably because I usually don't mind the effects of nerfs; why let something so trivial (either separately or a ton of them combined) be a big deal? But that's just me - of course there are exceptions, yet still
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    By his definition, I am wrong, seeing as I don't

Why would you think that? "Turn in contraband" is a 4 hour mission and rewards 2k dil. That's 125 dil per 15 mins.

Anyways I could take a doffing nerf if they put doffing and R&D on Gateway. Like the professions in NW.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    bernatk wrote: »
    Why would you think that? "Turn in contraband" is a 4 hour mission and rewards 2k dil. That's 125 dil per 15 mins.

Anyways I could take a doffing nerf if they put doffing and R&D on Gateway. Like the professions in NW.
    But that's just it; even by that math, it isn't 480 per every 15 mins, and I certainly don't play all my characters at once for 4 hours :) But that was part of the small joke anyway XD
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    wardcalis wrote: »
    "480 Dilithium for every 15 minutes of play." This means to reach the daily cap of 8k you would play for more than 4 hours a day.

Only if you are doing only one thing at a time to gain Dilithium... If you play it smart, you'd be incorporating Doff missions, ground BZ dailies and the mining dailies...

Hell, it's more than possible - especially KDF side - to reach Dilithium cap through Doffing alone...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015

It's hardly 'seconds', if you're referring to my method - often it takes an entire day to build up enough for the security officer, then another 4 hours to finish the mission. And even then, it's nowhere near the daily cap anyway

It's just slow-but-steady

I get a ton of contraband from doffing so if I need Dil I can get 20K refined in 4 hours. more if I try to meet the cap on one or two toons.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I get a ton of contraband from doffing so if I need Dil I can get 20K refined in 4 hours. more if I try to meet the cap on one or two toons.
    All from KDF or KDF-aligned toons I imagine :P Thus far I'm intentionally even between Fed and KDF Doffing, and it's my practice to build up all characters for 5-10ish Contraband per character (whatever they can manage + random chance crits), then turn them all in the same half hour. 2k Dil or more per character isn't that much, but that's where it adds up, because I'm doing that on 10+ characters at the same time XD Then repeat the process lol
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

Yes, and that's why they're baking the doffing nerf. And they will sweeten up that bitter pill with a revamped sector space lol.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    All from KDF or KDF-aligned toons I imagine :P Thus far I'm intentionally even between Fed and KDF Doffing, and it's my practice to build up all characters for 5-10ish Contraband per character (whatever they can manage + random chance crits), then turn them all in the same half hour. 2k Dil or more per character isn't that much, but that's where it adds up, because I'm doing that on 10+ characters at the same time XD Then repeat the process lol

10 characters here.4 fed 6 KDF My KDF gets about 15 tp 20 contraband (Ive gotten crits and gotten upwards of 40 on one toon before), per collection of 20 missions. I then split em up across the toons.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I use to heavily play Star Trek: Online. If I were to come back tomorrow, I would barely have time to play. Crypric should move Geko onto another game.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    10 characters here.4 fed 6 KDF My KDF gets about 15 tp 20 contraband (Ive gotten crits and gotten upwards of 40 on one toon before), per collection of 20 missions. I then split em up across the toons.
    ^Mainly do the same, just in smaller/regular doses - though with the upcoming Dil event, I've been hoarding for the past week in prepartion hehe :D
    bernatk wrote: »
    Yes, and that's why they're baking the doffing nerf. And they will sweeten up that bitter pill with a revamped sector space lol.
    Nice assumption there - thinking that said 'nerf' would merely be a small one, and despite all the expected complaints from this forum, it's not really gonna be that big of a deal (least for me). Would likely not even mind at all, having stated previously that regular nerfs (ie the usual small changes) don't really bother me :)
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Well, it was a bit of hyperbole on my part too, using panic heh

But still, I don't see those same past actions as 'attacks' on the currencies, so I don't really agree on that point (for me, it takes a 'bit' more evidence to count as such, for a lot of things). Also probably because I usually don't mind the effects of nerfs; why let something so trivial (either separately or a ton of them combined) be a big deal? But that's just me - of course there are exceptions, yet still

Well I'm a total F2Per, so any change of time vs reward which is not in my favor hurts my preferred style of play. I suppose it's just a bias I have against such moves, I perceive them as attacks. Sure, it's a game and if they make it not worth my time I'll go. But again, that's less content for the whales/casuals to experience.

As with most changes since the launch of DR, I feel pretty ambivalent about any plans the devs have.
    2) 480 Dil for 15 minutes of play at the Normal level would go back to Cryptic's Golden Rule of 15 Minute's Effort and 15 Minute's Reward. That's at Normal. More effort...more reward. That's nothing new.

Which suggests to me that the incredibly low effort vs reward doffing system is over rewarding by a lot.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well first off, we don't know that the removal of individual sector blocks is gonna be that extreme
    It's a safe bet.

You're crazy if you don't think they're interested in capping that spigot, not when they're working so hard to Scrooge the rest of the game.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's a safe bet.

You're crazy if you don't think they're interested in capping that spigot, not when they're working so hard to Scrooge the rest of the game.

Scrooge the game? Heaven forbid Cryptic try and turn a dollar off their product, not to mention pay the actors that have been reprising their roles of late...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    It's a safe bet.

Yet it's hard to consider it so when you legitly don't consider their past actions as Scrooging the game. Really, I don't see it as such - I've seen everything they've done since Open Beta, and understand it all, but don't see it that way. I really doubt that makes me crazy, other than in other peoples' opinions perhaps :)
    Was named Trek17.