What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lag/Rubberbanding in Social Zones - 1/30

Comments

• Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well it's not just in the social zones you know. Have you tried moving around on Defera lately?
  • Options
    penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Still doesn't explain omega not working outside ESD space.
  • Options
    dwolf1400dwolf1400 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How can there be unpatched players, doesn't the game shut down every week and didn't the game start the patch process when you exited the game and launched after yesterday's maintenance.

This sounds more like "It's not our fault it's all you guys fault"

They're blaming us for actually playing the game. So what you've paid for it.

To tell you the truth has ANYONE ever been helped by one of the mods or devs.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It is intensely frustrating... particularly as there are so many other reasons someone might want to go to ESD or the Academy, and it's very hard to get those jobs done, too.

However... I'd just like to throw in something here; namely, a thank-you to pweadamanteus for at least keeping us informed about the situation. (At this stage, it's probably too late for them actually to do anything about it, unfortunately.)

I think everyone's annoyed about the problem, but at least someone's making the effort to talk to us about it, and they're owed some thanks for that gesture anyway.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    olisjolisj Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Another thing to add on top of the lag/rubberbanding issue.

Omega Molecule Stabilization (Daily) is impossible to complete currently. One of the collection zones, is outside of Earth Space Dock. You can collect & receive the award, however you do not receive credit for doing so. This makes it impossible to complete the missions & therefore, makes it impossible to collect Qmendations for the event ship.

Objective is in a wrong place, its not (spce) outside ESD - It's down at the Academy (ground), go there and you'll advance.
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Presumably the Anniversary Event will be extended by three days so that no-one loses out on any time to complete it?
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited January 2015
    Grab a KDF character...go to Qo'noS. Run around free as a bird....wheee.

Grab a Fed character...go to ESD. Take 3 steps. Take 2 of those 3 steps again as you bounce back 2 steps. Take 3 steps. Take 2 of those 3 steps again as you bounce back 2 steps. Puke from the motion sickness.

KDF-wise: Not quite anymore. Yesterday, yes. Today, no. The rubber-banding and lag is spilling over to the KDF side -- and I think only since the 51 meg. patch/install this morning. Doff system lags ground-side, but so far not in space (knock on wood).

Fed-wise: Urk. I be ... duh-runk ... too much bloodwine ... stumble, trip ... uh ... one step forward, nine steps back ... two steps forward ... same nine steps back ... jump over railing ... slide back through railing ... do the jump again a few more times and slide back through a few more times ... I'm slip-slidin' away ... slip-slidin' away-ay-ay ... (with apologies to Simon & Garfunkel or the Everly Brothers).
    I think everyone's annoyed about the problem, but at least someone's making the effort to talk to us about it, and they're owed some thanks for that gesture anyway.

Agreed. And there is an advantage to all the virtual inebriation: no virtual hangover afterwards.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    So, you guys are going to extend the event by ~3 days to compensate for the players who are unable to participate now, right?

This would be a good demonstration of goodwill.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dwolf1400 wrote: »
    How can there be unpatched players, doesn't the game shut down every week and didn't the game start the patch process when you exited the game and launched after yesterday's maintenance.
    Not everyone plays regularly. Many people who have not played in months and are only now logging in to check out the Anniversary stuff.

Major events draw:
    1. New players
    2. Old players coming back to check things out.

This happens every year.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    jamesbrycejamesbryce Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Can someone check into the bugged Sol System Omega Particle Trace minigame? Have tried multiple times and it will not register as complete. Thanks!
  • Options
    olisjolisj Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jamesbryce wrote: »
    Can someone check into the bugged Sol System Omega Particle Trace minigame? Have tried multiple times and it will not register as complete. Thanks!

Do Academy trace minigame instead, objective is directing to wrong place.
  • Options
    rnaughtrnaught Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...this is expected to fully clear up in 2-3 days but you should see gradual improvement as more people complete their patching and log in for the first time post patch.

Funny thing about the possibility of people trying to complete their patching that may be causing all this lag, you could try and do a, oh, I don't know, a pre-patch system. That way players could download large patches like this and keep the bandwidth from being hit hard on the day the patch is released and following days as well. Perhaps this is something you guys should look into do...

Oh, wait, you guys DO this already, but because of some stupid bug with pre-patching, not only do I go through the trouble of downloading the pre-patch, but every single time since LoR this system has not worked. Meaning I download 2-3 gigs (or more) of info a week or so before and then the day of release I get to do it all again.

Perhaps THAT is the real problem here. If pre-patching worked for everyone the way it should, problems like this wouldn't happen.

Just hypothesizing, but from what *I* know and have experienced, this seems like a distinct possibility.
    Make a man a fire and keep him warm for the day.

Set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, you guys are going to extend the event by ~3 days to compensate for the players who are unable to participate now, right?

This ^^

It would certainly ease a lot of concerns if you were to share with us that you were extending the event to compensate for the server issues.

You've done so in the past for other reasons, So I will sit tight with the knowledge that you will do good by us.

It's good that you communicated your acknowledgement of the problem. Thanks.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    olisj wrote: »

You got it! This works for me.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've had more crashes to desktop since the launch of the anniversary event than in the last 5 years in total. But good job Craptic, this is the best Anniversary ever and the players love it!
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    dwolf1400 wrote: »

This sounds more like "It's not our fault it's all you guys fault"

They're blaming us for actually playing the game. So what you've paid for it.

To tell you the truth has ANYONE ever been helped by one of the mods or devs.

The maintenance every week is to patch the server. Unless you log in after that patch, YOUR client has not been patched.

Yes, we do prepatch.

No one here is blaming players for the situation. It is an oversight on our end.

When you first log in (not when you first patch), your character has to do a quick little fix-up before you can start playing. That fix-up may only be milliseconds, so it wasn't anticipated to be an issue. However, when you have thousands of players logging into the same zone (usually social zones) at the same time, those milliseconds turn into actual seconds, and the whole server (for that map) slows down.

However, once your character has logged in once, they fix-up is done, so the next time you log in, it doesn't incur that cost on the server. So, after a few days, the lion's share of fix-ups will have already happened, and the lag will subside.

This is why it's not just something that can be put off onto some "other" patch server. It's all integral with the game. It's something that has to happen, so there's no really good way around it, but Devs are looking for a way to improve it.

It is absolutely frustrating. On our end as well as yours. However, in the mean time, while a solution is being investigated, there is no "quick fix."
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The maintenance every week is to patch the server. Unless you log in after that patch, YOUR client has not been patched.

Yes, we do prepatch.

No one here is blaming players for the situation. It is an oversight on our end.

When you first log in (not when you first patch), your character has to do a quick little fix-up before you can start playing. That fix-up may only be milliseconds, so it wasn't anticipated to be an issue. However, when you have thousands of players logging into the same zone (usually social zones) at the same time, those milliseconds turn into actual seconds, and the whole server (for that map) slows down.

However, once your character has logged in once, they fix-up is done, so the next time you log in, it doesn't incur that cost on the server. So, after a few days, the lion's share of fix-ups will have already happened, and the lag will subside.

This is why it's not just something that can be put off onto some "other" patch server. It's all integral with the game. It's something that has to happen, so there's no really good way around it, but Devs are looking for a way to improve it.

It is absolutely frustrating. On our end as well as yours. However, in the mean time, while a solution is being investigated, there is no "quick fix."

If I remember correctly Tacofangs (from previous mentions)...your game server is in Boston right? So the weather might be a factor too maybe?

EDIT: Also to add...for those who do not know what Taco is talking about. When you enter a map and during the loading screen, it will sometimes say "patching <insert Mb or number of files>" or something like that. That's the little fix-up he is talking about.

So yeah, we are not being blamed in any way people. Calm down and just ride out the storm...and if you are me. Have fun with it!
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Yes, we do prepatch.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm still frustrated, but at least I understand the intricacies as to the source behind the frustration. Which makes it a bit more livable.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    diemdarkbringerdiemdarkbringer Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The lag only seems to be worse and worse, and I didn't even get credit for the dailies yesterday and I can't even accomplish them today. and I am still considered a new player even though I have been playing this for years. Thank you Cryptic and PW for downsizing my being here and having lifetime memberships to two of your games and making sure the game is nearly unplayable for doing the event.
  • Options
    jamesbrycejamesbryce Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    olisj wrote: »

Thanks! That did it!
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    endless054 wrote: »
    If you get the Omega particle on ESD good luck with that,and Omega is bugged in Sol space zone,you are unable to finish it,it is basically an omega trace farm. You can do the mini-game 100 times and 100 times you will only get the trace and the mission will not finish

This and every other comment like this shows how little you guys read. It very specifically says STARFLEET ACADEMY (GROUND). So yes. It's a particle farm, cuz you guys are supposed to go to SFA AND DO IT ON THE GROUND. Do that, and suddenly... you get a mission complete!

OMG READING OP.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    This and every other comment like this shows how little you guys read. It very specifically says STARFLEET ACADEMY (GROUND). So yes. It's a particle farm, cuz you guys are supposed to go to SFA AND DO IT ON THE GROUND. Do that, and suddenly... you get a mission complete!

OMG READING OP.

Actually, there is a bug where it will tell you to go to Space outside of Earth Spacedock and scan there for the daily. In space.

Turns out if you go to Starfleet Academy it gives you credit.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Actually, there is a bug where it will tell you to go to Space outside of Earth Spacedock and scan there for the daily. In space.

Turns out if you go to Starfleet Academy it gives you credit.

Huh... Never had that bug. The only times I picked it up, it told me to go to SFA, and I figured that it probably would be the same every time.

Yes, we do prepatch.

Yeah, I got this from the get-go. With MMOs like these, there are constant tiny changes being made to the game through code-fixes, bug-fixes, and other things that the devs and coders place onto the servers. So again, it's understandable that with the normal server load of players, these changes (when made to our toons), aren't noticeable.

But with the Anniversary event, literally thousands of players who aren't usually on come on, and so on and so forth. So thank you for the more detailed explanation for us.

However, I feel I must ask that you guys look into the Omega Particle game. Cuz right now, you can cut other players off while they're playing it, and you can get cut off. It makes it a little harder to score higher, since you either have to 1) Be an *** and wait til you're sure everyone else has already scanned and then scan and cut them off, or 2) Find your own little corner and pray nobody notices you.

Not that fun tbh.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm sorry but the game will not run because you as a customer has to go througha fix up.
    Heres a thing maybe you should have thought of this before the anniversary event goes live. Rubberbanding has always been in game but today as beyond a joke a full 5-10 minutes to get to the exchange and then the problems at the academy with the mini qs has me seriously doubting that I would want to play anything on the game. I will go through it over the next 2-3 days but when it is resolved what are you going to do. Extend the event? Give another lousy weekend event or like you have done so many times in the past. Sweep it under the carpet and forget it happened.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Huh... Never had that bug. The only times I picked it up, it told me to go to SFA, and I figured that it probably would be the same every time.

Yeah, I was hit with that bug earlier today. Friend did too. I'm guessing there was an error made somewhere where sometimes the daily for Starfleet Academy is mistakingly labelled as scan outside ESD.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Technical question for pweadamanteus, Tacofangs, or whoever else can answer this.

If part of the problem here is a script that is resetting the BOFFs, is it actually running on login, or are there other ways to trigger the script without simultaneously putting a load on the patch and login servers?

I ask this because I actually logged into the Gateway hours before I ever attempted to go in-game, and I am wondering if that slightly eased the process for me.

When I went into the Gateway, all of my BOFF skills were listed as promised, and I had no trouble getting everything reset when needed once I got in game.

Now, I DID still have rubberbanding but I did NOT experience any login queueing or flat-out missing skills, just things that I had to fix and save on my loadouts.

Which raises the question:

Did I successfully trigger the script *without* logging into the game, or is the script completely independent of people's logins and thus not as closely related to the rubberbanding as suspected?

If I DID trigger the reset script through the Gateway, would it be beneficial for other players to do this before their first login post-patch, to reduce the server load?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    pweadamanteuspweadamanteus Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We have rolled out one change just a couple minutes ago. This should help it resolve more quickly.
  • Options
    diemdarkbringerdiemdarkbringer Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    trying to do the particles and it says Bajor system (space) can't find any in bajor system space and went to do it on the ground and what do you know, I do one and it doesn't count. Why does the circles not stay on the map so we can actually find the freaking things?
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    We have rolled out one change just a couple minutes ago. This should help it resolve more quickly.

Do we need to Restart for a minor Patch?
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Posting purely in jest:
    Most Interestng Dev in the World

Hope the team has a chuckle. :D
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
This discussion has been closed.