test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lag/Rubberbanding in Social Zones - 1/30

pweadamanteuspweadamanteus Member Posts: 117 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hey Captains!

We've been chatting with the team. We are aware of the lag/rubberbanding in the social zones like ESD, New Romulus, etc. and this is expected to fully clear up in 2-3 days but you should see gradual improvement as more people complete their patching and log in for the first time post patch.

Thanks for your patience!

UPDATE 2:00p: We have rolled out one change just a couple minutes ago. This should help it resolve more quickly.
Post edited by pweadamanteus on

Comments

• pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey everyone,
    Just bumping this to make sure it gets into the dev tracker.

Please have a read thru this post and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
    ~CaptainSmirk
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    to be expected, I logged in for the nice costume yesterday, but waiting for server to stabilize before starting my Q-quest
  • elothoxelothox Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is this the same issue that's causing omega particle minigames to end instantly?
  • jdfosterrocksjdfosterrocks Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If people are patching and that is the cause of the lag in social zones, maybe there should be a dedicated server specifically for patching. Or suggest an alternate download mirror to download the update manually.

I'm not saying servers are cheap, but its the only solution I can suggest. These problems with rubbernecking, disconnections ect. is harming business and can cause bad reputation within your company.

Hell I wouldn't mind eventually getting the lifetime membership, but if this keeps up after every major update, I will keep being a non-paid subscriber.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    2-3 days?
    Are you serious?
    this is a timegated event where people have only limited amount time to complete it... and you come up with such a TRIBBLE telling us that we have to live with this messed up situation?

Test the TRIBBLE BEFORE you release it or dont release anything at all!
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The technical reasons in this Thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1361951) are understandable, but telling your customers that they can play normal in 3 days is not understandable.

You have an event running on which we cant participate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, this explaination is pretty much bs. Either move the patch server to another machine or close it down. This is unacceptable for a game that people do spend money on.

I will bet, just like the military, that if the head of that company wanted to log in and play and couldn't you would fix his problem today because otherwise it would be your butt on the line.

But your answer to regular people is "just wait it out, it might get better in a few days?" Really?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, you guys are going to extend the event by ~3 days to compensate for the players who are unable to participate now, right?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey Captains!

We've been chatting with the team. We are aware of the lag/rubberbanding in the social zones like ESD, New Romulus, etc. and this is expected to fully clear up in 2-3 days but you should see gradual improvement as more people complete their patching and log in for the first time post patch.

So... you launch a timed event and the grin... sorry, the "minigame" to get the carro... sorry, I mean "anniversary gift" is bugged and entirely unplayable at launch. Then you scre... sorry, "fix" it up and now the areas where you need to go to complete it are basically entirely unplayable thanks to ridiculous lag and rubberbanding... oh, and did I mention it's a game that involves timing...? And your solution? "Meh, wait a few days... it'll clear up or whatever probably!"

Seriously?

Seriously!?

What the ever loving TRIBBLE are you people doing? This is seriously how you're going to handle things?

This anniversary event? Epic mf'ing fail all around. Just a stinking pile of stuff that's either nonfunctional, unfinished or both. You might want to start considering maybe doing something to appease your customers since at the moment it seems like you're trying to make a sport of antagonizing them....
  • siobhanphoenixsiobhanphoenix Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's Nemesis, that's the problem.... he escaped Paragon City and is now working with the Iconians.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited January 2015
    Hey Captains!

I have never been able to log into the game without it auto-patching.

So your saying its the patching pre-login to the game and not the massive number of players and extra particles in those particular areas that is causing the rubber banding and lag? Because, I can fly/walk around low population areas without incident, unlike ESD where walking from the transporter to Q can take 5 minutes due to the rubber banding.

This reminds me of the 3rd or 4th anniversary where we had all those party horns that made balloons that were lagging the game to a crawl until it was patched and the number of balloons that would show was severely limited.

I just hope the alt ship discount works as promised this time unlike the issues with the Breen ships, and I am truly proud that my main characters belong to the 16% KDF faction, and the 11% Rom faction because as bad as Qo'nos/New Romulus command is for lag ESD is 1000x worse. :D

Good Luck Omega hunting all. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So... you launch a timed event and the grin... sorry, the "minigame" to get the carro... sorry, I mean "anniversary gift" is bugged and entirely unplayable at launch. Then you scre... sorry, "fix" it up and now the areas where you need to go to complete it are basically entirely unplayable thanks to ridiculous lag and rubberbanding... oh, and did I mention it's a game that involves timing...? And your solution? "Meh, wait a few days... it'll clear up or whatever probably!"

Seriously?

Seriously!?

What the ever loving TRIBBLE are you people doing? This is seriously how you're going to handle things?

This anniversary event? Epic mf'ing fail all around. Just a stinking pile of stuff that's either nonfunctional, unfinished or both. You might want to start considering maybe doing something to appease your customers since at the moment it seems like you're trying to make a sport of antagonizing them....
    They coulddo that. Then again you can have some patience, and do other stuff while this situation resolves itself.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • austinfan4lifeaustinfan4life Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Another thing to add on top of the lag/rubberbanding issue.

Omega Molecule Stabilization (Daily) is impossible to complete currently. One of the collection zones, is outside of Earth Space Dock. You can collect & receive the award, however you do not receive credit for doing so. This makes it impossible to complete the missions & therefore, makes it impossible to collect Qmendations for the event ship.
    edited January 2015
    They coulddo that. Then again you can have some patience, and do other stuff while this situation resolves itself.

Is that the same patience I'm supposed to have while they add in Dilithium and Mark rewards into other parts of the game to compensate for the reward nerfs they just put in with this most recent broken patch? Or the patience I'm supposed to have waiting for them to find a way to monetize the T3 abilities we can no longer train new BOffs in?Or the patience I was supposed to have while waiting a year for those Secondary Deflectors that were Coming Soon™. Or the patience I was asked for all of the other things which either took forever or never came? Well, sorry... but any which way I'm fresh out. You see, patience is a limited commodity and Cryptic has used up all of mine, and all of that which belongs to pretty much everyone who isn't on their payroll.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh, and that cute shell game at Starfleet Academy is not as much fun when it's so buggy that there are actually 2 Q's in the same shell game (with one always in the middle).

Similarly, not as fun when the Mini-Q's Escape even though you tell them to stop 4 or 5 times because of the rubberbanding.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is that the same patience I'm supposed to have while they add in Dilithium and Mark rewards into other parts of the game to compensate for the reward nerfs they just put in with this most recent broken patch? Or the patience I'm supposed to have waiting for them to find a way to monetize the T3 abilities we can no longer train new BOffs in?Or the patience I was supposed to have while waiting a year for those Secondary Deflectors that were Coming Soon™. Or the patience I was asked for all of the other things which either took forever or never came? Well, sorry... but any which way I'm fresh out. You see, patience is a limited commodity and Cryptic has used up all of mine, and all of that which belongs to pretty much everyone who isn't on their payroll.
    Really, hmm. interesting. I have a lot of patience, and I know better than to scream at the developers and other people like PR people when something doesn't go my way.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just to let you know that the lag and rubber-banding isn't just in the ESD and the like, I have severe problems on Defra, Fleet Mine and Fleet Starbase and Cardassian sector.

I can only conclude that the system is trying to pull resources from other areas to compensate for the areas being used for the mini games as I didn't have any of this type of problem before the anniversary patch went live.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The technical reasons in this Thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1361951)
    The only thing I see in that thread is this vague comment:
    We know what is causing it... There is a system that is working through a quick change when you first log in...

What's not clear (to me, anyway) is the problem too much load on the server in question, or too much load on the network path to reach that server within your farm? Or is it that your network feeds (Cogent) into your server farm are saturated overall? Each of these have separate possible remedies.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • captainzheicaptainzhei Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "Nnhh...RRRGH... GO FORWARD. WALK FORWARD. WALK. NO. THAT'S BACKWARD. FORW-NO. FOOOOOORWARD."

This is what my neighbours are hearing.
    ==========================================
    Captaincy, Excelsior-Class U.S.S. Bianca Beauchamp NCC-99947-F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's Nemesis, that's the problem.... he escaped Paragon City and is now working with the Iconians.

But, but, but it's *not* all a Nemesis plot!!!
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    edited January 2015
    ...I know better than to scream at the developers and other people like PR people when something doesn't go my way.

You'll notice a lack of caps, and volume due to a lack of spoken word, thus no screaming, real or simulated. What you're seeing is called "complaining" which is warranted since this is a product I've spent money on and it's barely functional in some places, and not at all in others.

And I addressed a developer, not Smirk or one of the other "community team" members so why you'd bring up PR people is beyond me. I wouldn't complain to them, not over this, I just feel sorry for them. They must absolutely dread going in to work every day thanks to the repeated messes the developers hand them to deal with.

So... any other ways you'd like to misrepresent my post, or is that it?
  • endless054endless054 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And here we are on day 2 and it is still laggy as hell. ESD and Academy are beyond laggy.

Q mini game at the academy is almost unplayable,it takes 3 times longer to finish

If you get the Omega particle on ESD good luck with that,and Omega is bugged in Sol space zone,you are unable to finish it,it is basically an omega trace farm. You can do the mini-game 100 times and 100 times you will only get the trace and the mission will not finish
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey Captains!

Grab a KDF character...go to Qo'noS. Run around free as a bird....wheee.

Grab a Fed character...go to ESD. Take 3 steps. Take 2 of those 3 steps again as you bounce back 2 steps. Take 3 steps. Take 2 of those 3 steps again as you bounce back 2 steps. Puke from the motion sickness.

It might clear up in 2-3 days...but not because of folks that are patching.

Because of uninstalling.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey Captains!

Thanks for doing something about it but please add a week to all the event timers; or just a total freeze of any expiring events till this gamebreaking issue is dealt with.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I got bored of pressing buttons on the UI and nothing happening for five seconds so I logged out and will try again in a week, which does mean losing a week of the event... Are people having fun yet?
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    The only thing I see in that thread is this vague comment:
    Originally Posted by pweadamanteus View Post
    We know what is causing it... There is a system that is working through a quick change when you first log in...

What's not clear (to me, anyway) is the problem too much load on the server in question, or too much load on the network path to reach that server within your farm? Or is it that your network feeds (Cogent) into your server farm are saturated overall? Each of these have separate possible remedies.
    It sounds like they blame the script that is implementing the new boff interface. I read somewhere around here that they had to write a script that manually adds back the skills you've trained your boffs with. To me, that means that the script runs for every character upon first login after the patch goes live. Scripts like these are often quick-and-dirty, and not exactly optimized, so I could see where it could start clogging up the servers until the numbers of first logins start tapering off.

If this is all true (and I'm laying no bets either way) then the network traffic load isn't a primary problem, tho the heavy traffic probably magnifies the latency.

This kind of problem is pretty much impossible to test in advance, unless you somehow get half your playerbase to try out the test server at the same time.

This could also explain complaints from some people that their boff skills are gone, i.e. not in the new UI at all. If the script stalls during execution I could see how some or all of my skills might not get rewritten, but yours might.

So, is it the whole truth? Not for me to say, but it at least sounds plausible. I'm sure a half-dozen people will now try to burn me at the stake for being a White Knight, because they once wrote computer code and they "know how it works", and it is obviously intentional and motivated by dev hatred of players and/or PWE Overlord greed. Yeah, well, opinions. Go figure. ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Still, if this is the case, they need to allow more time to get the ship for the event.

Otherwise they're stealing the anniversary ship from the people who won't pay zen to get lobi, for more qmendations.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...because they once wrote computer code and they "know how it works", and it is obviously intentional and motivated by dev hatred of players and/or PWE Overlord greed.
    LOL yeah, that is the usual level of in-depth analysis we get on the forums. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to pretend I know what the specifics are; the detail you posit could be right. These are complex issues no doubt. But it's clear whatever is going on behind the scenes has room for improvement.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hold it.

We have to wait for unpatched players, for the server to stabilize? Just how many is that supposed to be? And my gameplay is affected by others that aren't playing?

And 2 -3 days!?

What of in that number of days, the peeps that haven't patched, still don't? Does it mean a mere 1 or 2 percent of the player base, is all it needs to keep the rest of us essentially screwed? Not everyone will be on to patch the game. Not everyone that has played, will come back to do so. It's all essentially also telling us, WE as the player base, are to blame for the lag problems.

Never in all the years of MMO gaming, have I heard an absolute load of tripe! Might as well blame airline passengers for a plane crash, for being on it in the first place, as well as because not all the seats were filled up before take off. If you this is hyperbole, so be it. The collective insult to the player base putting any sort of funding into this game, that this OP post infers, BOILS my actual blood, like I wish not for.

I will log off here, after this post, trying to cool off, hoping when I next attempt to log on, the developers will come to their collective senses, and think better than burning the meal ticket, that your customer base represents. Like it or not, that is what we are for you developers.

I don't code this game, and all related to it all, and I care not to bother to. I came to play this game. The OP here, says I'm wrong for doing that, essentially. It tells others are needed, for MY internet, unto this game, to even work. Hmm, guess without us all, there is no internet. Money and all that. A dire load of cyber philosophy there, to be had, all nice and ugly unto reality. A reality mind you, we could 'all' decide to choose, for another fantasy, if we keep feeling so inclined. Another threat of reality, that being insulted like this, can drive one (unto many,) towards.

And to think I defended your blokes, in a recent post, for the decent job that this game is... or was, until now. I refute all such, henceforth, along with any sense of common decency and respect, until the developers remember how to be human again, looking in the mirror while so doing.

The same humans, that wouldn't like to be in our own place, behind a monitor, and considering to wait half a bloody week, for other people we don't know, to bother to log in. I expect the developers to do the exact same along with us then, if all things are truly equal here.

I don't know what percentage is 'required' to 'make things normal', but 'that' shouldn't matter anyway. None. None blank it!! Blaming us for all of this, for what this OP really is, is plain dang wrong. You all should bloody know better. Consider this an official Chide, from a fellow gamer, and human being.
    IT. IS. WRONG.
  • possiblyboredpossiblybored Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I definitely understand that unexpected technology problems sometimes arise, but being told "Just wait three days and it should fix itself" doesn't seem like an adequate solution to me.

Also, I'm experiencing lagging everywhere, not just on crowded social hubs. I was lagging on the fleet dilithium mine even though I was the only one there.

Very frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.