test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rubber banding and lag too much. are you Devs aware of it?

chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 69 Arc User
Do you Devs actually know that the game is lagging for everybody and hate everywhere?
or you guys know nothing?

something tells me this going to be a problem for a loong time....

Hope I am wrong.
Post edited by chuamishael on

Comments

• Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think they are aware of it. Question is when will it be fixed. I just got disconnected from server AGAIN because of these issues.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They are probably in bed sleeping off the celebration of the best .5 expansion ever dreaming of how much we love it.

Although it is just an Anniversary. Good thing it is for a game. One like this for a marriage can't end well.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    rafraszrafrasz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lags like hell in spacedocks i can't get to Q from teleport it's beter on instances but still laggy
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you Devs actually know that the game is lagging for everybody and hate everywhere?
    or you guys know nothing?

something tells me this going to be a problem for a loong time....

Hope I am wrong.

Yes they know, it'll die off eventually. But did you really feel the need to create another thread on this issue?
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am not bothering with any of these missions until I know they can be achieved. Hopefully all the current bugs will be addressed by the end of today, but im not confident in that happening.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There have been numerous threads discussing it, are YOU aware of them?
  • Options
    suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    iceaxe18iceaxe18 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Devs in the past seem to be on it, but this time round they don't seem to be on top of it.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you think it's because:

a) they're too cheap to buy servers that can handle the load,
    b) they can't code and there's an errors that consuming resources, causing the bandwidth leak, or
    c) everything is working as intended?
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    They are probably in bed sleeping off the celebration of the best .5 expansion ever dreaming of how much we love it.

A lot of them were probably in the office until 10:00 last night, but I doubt that they were celebrating.
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you think it's because:

b) they can't code and there's an errors that consuming resources, causing the bandwidth leak, or
    c) everything is working as intended?

The short answer to that is, yeah.

What I find really, honestly, disturbing is that there are extremely little official communication after the launch of the 5th. It's like they turned on the servers and went in to hiding, expecting the storm to come.

I am a business-owner and I sat here, last night before I went to bed, and thought if any of my employees did this they would not be doing their job right. If it is a product launch, or a celebratory launch, people still got jobs to do and some of those are to communicate with the customers and make sure everything is going smooth and as planned. If I, as the CEO, had allowed this to happen I'd be the laughingstock of my peers.

Then again I live in northern Europe, perhaps our business practice differs a lot compared to how it is done there.
  • Options
    executorpacoexecutorpaco Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So not only did this patch strip me of all my Boff powers, but thanks to generous amount of rubber-banding it's unplayable. Thanks for the patch devs. I used to think people on here were harsh to you.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited January 2015

IIRC the game servers are on the East coast, while Cryptic is on the West coast, so it's odds on that they, like many games, don't own their own game servers, and instead rent space on large server farms.
  • Options
    nodznodz Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For every day it takes to fix this they should add a day to the anniversary event so we can still get everything.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So not only did this patch strip me of all my Boff powers, but thanks to generous amount of rubber-banding it's unplayable. Thanks for the patch devs. I used to think people on here were harsh to you.

You should be able to fix your boff powers at the stations window. Boffs now default to their original powers, but whatever you trained them with is still there, you just have to select it.
  • Options
    koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would imagine that they're also all probably busy enough that they don't have time or don't really have news so they say nothing.
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would imagine that they're also all probably busy enough that they don't have time or don't really have news so they say nothing.

This is no excuse. at all. They have employees who's job is to manage and inform the customers. If these people are not doing that, they are not working. If these people are working with something else they are not doing their job.
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wonder how permanent this rubber banding and lag is going to be. I payed a visit to a few social area's and I went to Defera. I was still lagging alot. And I'm not planning to lag through the entire anniversary event for the next month or so.
  • Options
    nodznodz Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If we lowered the instance limit back to 20 the rubberbanding would stop.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    A lot of them were probably in the office until 10:00 last night, but I doubt that they were celebrating.

They knew it was unfinished and not working on Tribble. The rubberbanding wasn't there because no one was there to rubberband but a lot of, if not all of, the rest of the problems they were working a double to fix were there weeks ago and reported.

Rubberbanding is just the very tip of the iceberg poking out of the sea of storms.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nodz wrote: »
    If we lowered the instance limit back to 20 the rubberbanding would stop.

If they properly implemented the changes in the code, you could up that instance limit to 100 and never see a stutter or rubberband snap.

On day X, everything is fine. On day X+1, it's gone to pot in one of the worst ways ever.

The only change? 2 or 3 small glowing spinning icons on the map. If they added those soooooo poorly that the game code turns to utter TRIBBLE because of them? That's just shoddy work. Honestly, shoddy shoddy work. There's unoptimized and then there's just "trying to sabotage your own game" levels of code.

This definitely falls into the latter.
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    38 people on my ESD instance, but game is unplayable. But this is not the onle instance/region of the game with lags and rubber banding. Fleet alert stand still a few times for seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They all hide when they TRIBBLE something up, leaving us to wonder what's happening, but then they have the audacity to tell us how great things are going with infographics.

I modified the infographic with a few tongue in cheek comments and they closed the thread down because they don't like their shortcomings (the vast many that there are) being pointed out.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I thought the rubberbanding problem should be solved with todays patch too. I just got pushed back from Q allt he way to the Transporter Pad.

Then it took me about 10 minutes to get back the exchange because i always got pushed back 5-10 meters.

6 minutes to get to the ship selector and 8 minutes to select my APU cruiser, upgrade it and discard the old weapons
  • Options
    siobhanphoenixsiobhanphoenix Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If they actually took the time to tune the server instances and paid attention to tcp queueing and mbufs - they wouldn;t have this lag, if they had clusters that actually distributed load instead of loading people into one instance and starting another, they would fix this problem, if they actually paid a devops and service reliability person to fix this stuff, they wouldn;t have lag... I mean, seriously, as a former OS developer and current Systems reliability person, this stuff drives me freaking NUTS. This is not strictly development, although performance of connections should be paid attention to in unit testing and development... and their deployment processes are so old school its not funny. I wish game companies would catch up to current practices in other industries... we wouldn't have this type of performance issue. Some of us actually DO pay for this game. We expect more.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They had better fix this nightmare of a grindaversery effing quick. As it is, yeah sure the mini game now works. But you cant move because of the rubber banding. The game is unplayable and until its fixed 100% im not spending a dime on it.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    yes its still very laggy and lots of rubberbanding but it seems they have put the particle mini game right (well kinda) so at least we can get the qmendations you need to get the ship, and after giving it a small trial flight its a lovly ship to fly indeed, just hope its as good as it looks in combat.

i think the rubberbanding is mostly down to weight of trafic on the servers i dont think there is much they can do to fix it, bar lowering the number of players that can be active and we dont want that, it no fun waiting in line to get a place especially if you have limited time to play.
    They all hide when they TRIBBLE something up, leaving us to wonder what's happening, but then they have the audacity to tell us how great things are going with infographics.

I modified the infographic with a few tongue in cheek comments and they closed the thread down because they don't like their shortcomings (the vast many that there are) being pointed out.

i think if it was the case that they don't like their shortcomings being pointed out they would close the whole forum, more likely that you modified their infographic is why they shut you down.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    yes its still very laggy and lots of rubberbanding but it seems they have put the particle mini game right (well kinda) so at least we can get the qmendations you need to get the ship, and after giving it a small trial flight its a lovly ship to fly indeed, just hope its as good as it looks in combat.

i think the rubberbanding is mostly down to weight of trafic on the servers i dont think there is much they can do to fix it, bar lowering the number of players that can be active and we dont want that, it no fun waiting in line to get a place especially if you have limited time to play.

I would agree with the cause of the rubber banding, but DR had almost no lag when launched. So they could have prevented this whole mess, but as usual Craptic messed it all up.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i cant believe they not fixing the rubber banding that is in the social zones. its the worst i have ever seen it.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    I would agree with the cause of the rubber banding, but DR had almost no lag when launched. So they could have prevented this whole mess, but as usual Craptic messed it all up.

dont get me wrong i was right royaly miffed last night when i couldnt get the ship because of that stupid particle game, i only needed the 40 to complete the project.
    thank goodness its working ok now.
    but the rubberbanding though awful can be worked through if you are persistant and its not as bad in some locations as it is in ESD.

though not as good as it should be it could be a lot worse.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.