test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs: Requesting more R&D item space

gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Duty Officer System and R&D
Can you create additional R&D inventory space please?
I opened my R&D gift today and promptly ran out of space. Thanks for the gift and for reading this.
Joined STO in September 2010.
Post edited by gerwalk0769 on

Comments

• Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I opened my R&D gift today and promptly ran out of space. Thanks for the gift and for reading this.

Even if it's like doff spaces etc i would love more space. . Please with sugar on top. . .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    I don't mean to sound flippant here, but.... why?

You're sitting on a massive stockpile of materials. Is there any reason that you don't either make something with them, or sell them on the Exchange?
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited January 2015

You're sitting on a massive stockpile of materials. Is there any reason that you don't either make something with them, or sell them on the Exchange?

Without sounding harsh and pls don't take it this way as its an observation nothing more..

Gaining some Rare Mats like Rubidium and Z - Particles and some Very Rare mats such as Craylon Gas, Plekton and Argonite etc are almost Impossible to obtain from PvE and selling them on exchange will yes solve a short term problem of lack of storage but will further down the line when I require them again to craft something i need, will be problematic at best or be like getting blood out of a stone at worst.

So hording them due to really bad drop rates in PvE or the fact the PvE ques that drop the Very Rare mats do not pop to allow these materials to be obtained again is what is my main reason to ask for extra storage.

To me the only way I would be willing to sell them or craft things I don't essentially need to free up space would be to do something about the drop rates and find a way for the ques that award Very Rare mats to pop easy without the praying for them to pop and then! For them not to fail from timers that are almost impossible to get past in pug groups (as fleet groups aren't available every day).

Or...

Another way to look at the mass amount of mats would be to find a way maybe! Of using x amount of white and x amount of green to craft (mix them) to get a Rare or even a Very Rare material.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015

Borticuscryptic makes a good point. They already gave us a more than decent sized bank for R&D materials. I have multiple piles of just about everything AND space to spare. You could use your regular or shared accounts for all the finished upgrades.

And todays gift was very generous.

When I'm crafting 5 things at a time, they do build up in my bank quite quickly. But it doesn't take long to save the good ones, sell the so-so ones and scrap the remainder.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Not to sound flippant here but can't you just make another character and store your overflow in their R&D bank?
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    R&D inventory space is fine. Screenshot in OP, you've 3-4 stacks of 999 for all the common and uncommon mats. Sell them off, you really don't need to hold on to that much. 2 stacks of each at most. A good 1/3 to 1/2 of your inventory it is just that.

My R&D inventory has 2 stacks each of common and uncommon mats, 1 stack each of rare and very rare mats, 1 stack each of all component types and 1 stack each of catalysts and accelerators.

And I still have room to have 1 blank cell borders around each section I sort them into and room for 1 stack of all crafted upgrade tokens.

Sell your excess and make some money on exchange 8)

jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Another way to look at the mass amount of mats would be to find a way maybe! Of using x amount of white and x amount of green to craft (mix them) to get a Rare or even a Very Rare material.

While I like the idea, kinda like doff trade ins, would certainly make the masses of lower stuff more valuable, be careful what you wish for, such things would likely happen 5 mats at a time to make 1 of the next tier (when you need 10's or 100's), take 30mins to craft and cost dili for the privilege lol.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Without sounding harsh and pls don't take it this way as its an observation nothing more..

Gaining some Rare Mats like Rubidium and Z - Particles and some Very Rare mats such as Craylon Gas, Plekton and Argonite etc are almost Impossible to obtain from PvE and selling them on exchange will yes solve a short term problem of lack of storage but will further down the line when I require them again to craft something i need, will be problematic at best or be like getting blood out of a stone at worst.

So hording them due to really bad drop rates in PvE or the fact the PvE ques that drop the Very Rare mats do not pop to allow these materials to be obtained again is what is my main reason to ask for extra storage.

I agree with this statement completely.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Mats stack in stacks of 999, you have tons of easy to get white and green quality mats, either sell some or make an alt and store them there.

The more space they give us, the more it impacts performance for the entire server, and over time and people it adds up.

So, no offence, but stop hoarding low quality mats.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015

1. Hamster genes
    2. Not enough Dilithium to craft something worth of crafting?

;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Because moar. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just make a new character and dump some stuff in his bank..
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No, the devs were very generous as is with the stack sizes for mats and the separate inventory they added for them with the R&D system.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited January 2015

First, I want to say thank you. You've done a great deal for the community when you were pod-casting, and you continue to do so, during work hours and perhaps during your personal time. I’ve said it before, but I really appreciate that you build choices for players.

I also appreciate that you asked.

A supermajority of that stockpile was accumulated pre-craft overhaul.

I craft. I've upgraded most of what I need, including making the needed Superior and Experimental tech, and what I can afford. I've made level appropriate items (the Aegis set) even though it is not a set that I will use. I’ve crafted for Fleet mates. I am currently making tech for console and Secondary Deflector upgrades. I will craft low level Secondary Deflectors and upgrade two that I will use. There is more I’d like to upgrade, including some unique mission rewards and certain lobi ship items, but not everything is available at the moment, and that is fine. The system is a work in progress and upgrading has been expensive. The R&D gift was very generous, and I’ll say thank you again.

I prefer to craft rather than sell commodities I worked for; and I’d like to try to craft something instead of purchasing it. In the case of the Aegis set, the time and effort I put into the set is worth more than the exchange price. I might or might not craft the special items from schools. The VR R&D doffs are expensive, and if I were to craft any of the special items I'd want the best chance to do so. It seems that the best chance would be at level 20.

With my highest school level being 18 (Science: 18, Projectiles: 17, Shields: 17, Engineering: 17, & Ground Weapons: 15), the best use of my crafting time, outside of special weekends and crafting tech to upgrade, is to reach level 20 asap, through 20 hour projects. Outside of the Aegis and special school items the 20 hour projects represent the most experience gained over time at cost for me. Given the current crafting structure, spending time making other items would not the best use of my time.

I expect to craft later.

As it stands at this moment, in all cases except for one, the reputation weapons I use are better than any I could craft. My consoles are Fleet, Embassy, and Spire. There is not a lot for me to make right now. However, I am expecting the crafting tree to change and fill out. It already is. I’m looking forward to crafting as more low, medium, and high level spectrum items are offered.

Thanks for taking the time to read this; I hope it answers your questions. If you have any others feel free to ask. Keep up the good work, and have a great day.

A crafting solution could include:
    A daily low cost (White & Green mats) optional project that queues in a separate line, like the upcoming Officer Training queue. The finished project deducts time off single crafting project.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    If you sold the Rubidium and Z-Purrticles in your inventory, you would get more than enuff EC to buy all the stuff you need from the exchange, and you wouldn't have to craft it by yourself anymore (unless you want sum more XP in schools). However, you can easily get white materials again. Maybe selling 2 stacks of 999 white materials each (8 stacks total) would already solve a lot of your space issues. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i can understand hoarding R and VR mats but really, there's no reason to hold on to 4 full stacks of litteraly everything

sell a few stacks of the commons and uncommons and you should still have plenty to work with if you suddenly decide to go on a crafting binge
  • Options
    sirtexassirsirtexassir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You said your in a fleet right? Throw some of those common mats into your fleet banks for others that don't have an insane stockpile. Hell you look like me on another game I use to play that had five accounts for running econ.

I was going to say there is a sort button until I saw the screen shot. Had a fleet mate complain and he had a lot of o double stakes and messed up stacks in his bank. You can all so take alot of those extra stacks and put them in your bank. Unless your a pack rat there too.

Think other than saling them, the fleet donation would be the best way to help out others in your fleet. All so are ya'll doing any holding missions that need materials? You would be a great guy to donate to those with those extra white mats.

I have the other issue....running out of mats all the time lol
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Two full stacks of Common or Uncommon mats = just shy of 2000 items.

There's no way in hell you need any more than that piled up in your bank at one time.

Even if you crafted 100 low to mid-level items a day, you still wouldn't use up 2000 mats in less than four days.

And if you actually go out and do missions each time you play and collect the mats in each instance, you would still be ahead of the game.

Anything I get over 999 x2 of, I sell in the exchange.
    If my rough figures are correct, I've made over 115k in the last week alone selling my Common & Uncommon extras.

Along with all the junk that drops from playing the game on advanced, I average a little over a million EC's every week or so.

Play smart, don't ask for something you don't really need.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

First of, I would like to say Thank you, for all that you do on our behalf!!! I agree with you, that we do not need more personal R&D Inventory at this time. However, would it be possible, at some point to add an R&D Tab to Fleet Banks? It would be nice, if we could purchase those, they way we purchase additional storage tabs. That would allow us to have a greater community pool or the fleets!!!
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    darksith wrote: »
    First of, I would like to say Thank you, for all that you do on our behalf!!! I agree with you, that we do not need more personal R&D Inventory at this time. However, would it be possible, at some point to add an R&D Tab to Fleet Banks? It would be nice, if we could purchase those, they way we purchase additional storage tabs. That would allow us to have a greater community pool or the fleets!!!

A community R&D tab for fleets i can agree with but for my R&D storage i keep 1 stack of every type of material unless its something i tend to use often(I'm looking at you rubidium) so that's potentially 999 of everything including catalysts, boosters, all types of upgrade kits and have room to spare, anything over that is stored on a spare toon. To go through that much material is crazy, i think the storage is plenty big, I'm just happy it has a separate tab now, it was very problematic before sharing with main inventory even with less types of materials.

Edit: as a side note, its crazy in how do you not have that organized at all.
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Would additional space for R&D supplies be something some of you might consider purchasing? Similar to the extra inventory and/or bank slots?

Not to being up that dreaded word, but I can always recommend this to the team if enough people are interested in it.

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Would additional space for R&D supplies be something some of you might consider purchasing? Similar to the extra inventory and/or bank slots?

Not to being up that dreaded word, but I can always recommend this to the team if enough people are interested in it.

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk

At some point I might be persuaded to spend some zen on some
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk

This is something I would consider to easy the issue in the short term HOWEVER this is a short term solution after thinking about what I posted before and that everyone else raised very valid points. . .

It's the drop rates and the fact some PvE ques just don't pop thus meaning I'm really really!! Concerned about selling them to make space.

Just not sure what the solution is here tbh. .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk

I know it's slightly off-topic, but what I would purchase is a pet inventory.
    ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk
    Down the track if more mats, components, upgrade kit types etc are made available to the system then it might be needed. But to be honest, at this stage, it's not a huge issue, imo it's quite generous as is.

With my highest school level being 18 (Science: 18, Projectiles: 17, Shields: 17, Engineering: 17, & Ground Weapons: 15), the best use of my crafting time, outside of special weekends and crafting tech to upgrade, is to reach level 20 asap, through 20 hour projects. Outside of the Aegis and special school items the 20 hour projects represent the most experience gained over time at cost for me. Given the current crafting structure, spending time making other items would not the best use of my time.

I have to disagree on that, at least while you're actively playing the game.
    Crafting ANY weapon, console, shield etc actually returns R&D XP at a higher rate per hour than the 20hr projects do.
    If you want to level faster, craft mk2 (5 mins to complete each iirc), mk3 or mk4 (60mins to complete) items while you are playing, then when you're about to log off for the day, trigger the 20hr projects to get XP in your away time.

Not only will you gain XP at a higher rate ( I think it's double the rate), the items you caft can be vendored for EC or if you get good mods sold for a pretty penny.
    As you've a ton of low grade mats, this route would be the smartest thing to start doing to offload all that common/uncommon mats you have.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I know it's slightly off-topic, but what I would purchase is a pet inventory.
    ;)

This!

/10char
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can't imagine ever filling my r&d inventory. However, I would like to see a separate inventory tab for pets. Having all the space and ground pets takes up a lot of space.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk

Assuming that the current default number of slots in the R&D storage doesn't get reduced in the process of monetizing them, then yeah I'd be interested in adding some more slots for a few zen.

(Also I'd spend zen to double my Brig and Passenger space for doffing, hint hint. [and a noncombat pet inventory])

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Thanks!
    ~CaptainSmirk

The fact that a Dev and a Community Manager have decided to respond to this openly says something. Would I purchase something like this? No. Do I see a need for that option, not really no. I'll echo MightyBob's comment that any move to reduce current capacity would be met with hostility.

What would I purchase? Another couple 100 DO slots (I am maxed out on 3/5 of my characters already).
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Looks like the majority say yes to purchase probability to more R&D slots.

Good to know!

Adding Pet inventory to that list...

Maybe a Kennel? Or menagerie?

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Looks like the majority say yes to purchase probability to more R&D slots.

Good to know!

Adding Pet inventory to that list...

Maybe a Kennel? Or menagerie?

~CaptainSmirk

Kennel, menagerie, zoo, habitat... There are quite a few naming options for that. I've had to cut back on collecting pets since they're starting to take up too much space.
    :D