What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R&D Research Project Improvements

Comments

• Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Good to see some feedback coming our way, thank you.

I'm more encouraged by that than the actual change itself. Stiil, I now have some hope of capping out faster since I'm 17 in all the schools... albeit on different toons. I can start getting them each levelled up in the ones they didn't bother with before this came about.

Some changes are good - This one? Sure, I'll take it.

:cool:
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You improve the usability of the crafting system a lot that way and make the game a bit more alt friendly.

This is very much appreciated so thank you.

If you intend to further improve the crafting system please consider the option to generate gear with selectable modifiers. If it would cost dil so be it (hey publisher) but at least one could use the system to its full potential and I think the way it was meant to be.

Please also take a look at the in game availability of the blue crafting material Z-Particles. These seem to be lower in supply and/or higher in demand than some very rare materials probably due to the integrated upgrade system.

-Connor
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So that means i can run up to 3 daily projects per school now?
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Holy Moly! A Dev other than Tacofangs on the Forums! Communicating with Forum goers! And...
    Not announcing the latest swing of the NerfBat!

Feels like I just won the PowerBall and I was the only one with all six numbers.

Dangerous thing you've done here. Please be careful. The other Devs may turn on you and cast you out.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    admiralodanadmiralodan Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thank you for making this change and communicating it to us on the forums :)
    The Costs of Delta Rising Upgrades

My new sig till Cryptic fixes it....
  • Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have a suggestion, I got to the end of beams and I can't craft the arc beam because I don't have the guy or the money needed to get the guy on the exchange, add a mission to get the final crafters needed for each school to the game.

It would be more fun than grinding for EC.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Glad that my alts will get to benefit from this change, my main will be at 15 in all schools soon anyways, though. Rough calculations, witbout looking, this'll save me 2 weeks on my main, a small change in the big picture...
    gulberat wrote: »
    Yeah, the clicking one school and getting a different one seems to be an issue of the UI not catching up to the command to look at a new school after you looked at a previous one. I can't tell if it's a lag issue or a different kind of issue. Agreed it should be looked into, as I definitely find it annoying.
    I've noticed this only being a problem on two of my toons. Both are Engs, both have lvl 15 Eng School. My other toons have not had this problem, at all. Not sure what the "trigger" is, but it is wicked annoying, especially when I switch to an alt and have no troubles...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cbob312 wrote: »
    I have a suggestion, I got to the end of beams and I can't craft the arc beam because I don't have the guy or the money needed to get the guy on the exchange, add a mission to get the final crafters needed for each school to the game.

It would be more fun than grinding for EC.

Have you R&d doff mission? I run them on all my alts and got the doffs I needed.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    inthefluxxinthefluxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you don't want players to progress through a school quickly, why have a "Finish Now" button?

I do like this change.

Is it possible we could get the traits gained via R&D as it's own tab or possibly under the "Other traits" tab?
  • Options
    kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is a huge step in the right direction. I've got a pile of alts, and only a few of them were focusing on crafting because of how much of a soul-destroying grind it felt like. This will help make it feel more like a game and less like a chore. ^_^

Now, we just need to bump up the dilithium rewards a bit more, maybe 500/1000/1500 for normal/advanced/elite, and perhaps a massive increase in the XP gained from killing enemies in advanced and elite queues.

But back on topic, this update on the R&D schools is greatly appreciated. Here's an idea too. What about making it so that unlocking R&D school slots is account-wide? so that when one toon has a school at level 15, all the toons have five R&D slots unlocked? I think this would go a long way to making crafting more alt-friendly.

Just a few friendly suggestions from an addicted player. This is the first MMORPG that I have truly gotten behind. Keep going with posts like this. :D
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nerf inbond. Wait what!?! Buff inbond. I like this but I would rather see the points raised from 6-7k (depending on crit) to 15-20k depending on crit. But this will reduce your buff but allow multiple scoops to be rewards. Instead of three missions per school and two to another. It would allow us to run five schools. Either way it is a buff and it is Awesome.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited January 2015
    Good questions, and ones that were brought up by the rest of the team when we discussed this change.

Why 3? Well, honestly we chose three out of caution. We would like players to be able to focus on a single school if they like, but we also don't want players progressing through the system too quickly. This is the sort of thing I'd like to take one step at a time.

I am an avid STO player and have gone through the process of building as many of the Superior Kits as I could. Part of the impetus for this change was to make Superior Tech Upgrade Kits more within reach. Many devs' experiences combined with player feedback with the system influenced this change.

Regards,

Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski

Cryptic Studios

Lead Systems Designer

great response! great comms! direct ftw! yes, carefulness is a good thing, you give an answer like that and you could have said "we stopped at 2 for now" and people would say "ok, makes sense"

well, good news is easy :-), but still, good comms

short simple stuff like this (could even be shorter e.g. "when discussions were over, we went with a more modest change for carefulness" or some thing like that) is great

I know, it's easy to walk into minefields of discontent, but still, basic direct responses (where prudent / time permitting / etc) can go along way

thx

EDIT: I see people mentioning alts here, I don't really seeing that being that crazy alt-helpful, even though the traits are very good. but it's great for new players. keep going for new player-accessibility changes.
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    that does not change that the R&D sucks
  • Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    First of all, thank you for this change.

Second of all, thank you for communicating this to us.
    You have no idea how positive this community can be influenced by exactly these types of communications.

Good job Cryptic!

This. ....and this. Well done on both counts.
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd like to say thanks to you personally Gorngonzolla for posting this here in General Discussions so it can be debated. I don't think you're going to hear many people saying that this is a bad thing - here's to many more improvements like this!

Ditto! I would be using this new capacity to build components while the Tech research in a school is running simultaneously; much appreciated!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    nikolaykuznetsovnikolaykuznetsov Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hi all,

Regards,

Cryptic Studios

Lead Systems Designer

Thanks for good news. That would be welcome change.
    Would you consider lowering technology points threshold for mk XIV items to UR/Epic?
    Now you need 212480 TP for VR mk XIV reputation gear (certain outcome) and 255360/358560 TP for UR/epic which is uncertain outcome. Dilithium sink is already hudge, I believe it would be safe to lower UR/Epic threshold to 212480 - same as needed for mk XIV upgrade only with uncertain outcome.
    Max. One-Hit: 114,966 (Quantum Torpedo - Salvo II (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sounds very nice, but i have one question - will you add 2 more research slots too ? so player can advance all scholls at same time ?
    i dont fear any distortion to market since everyone now is at lvl 15 in all schools, even without spending single dill to speed up research.
    It will grealy help new players of players which started completly new char in missing specialization in preparation for upcoming boff changes.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is grreat.
    I've got every school except Cannons above Level 15. (without spending Speed Dilithium)
    I'll be able to zip that one right along once this hits Holodeck.

:D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Don't say "zip right along"...you don't want to make them think it's too easy...

It IS reasonable to say though that this brings the amount of points per day into a school more in line with the exponential increase in points required per level though, and offers additional incentive for the average player to go past 15, which was previously sorely lacking.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    Beyond a few players I doubt many use the complete now button on R&D. It's simply not cost effective, especially when dill is used for upgrading.

But - THANK YOU. It's a positive improvement.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Saw this in the Tribble notes, awesome change, thanks for communicating your reasoning for doing it with us.

Only loosely related, could we get a warning on those finish now buttons? The upgrade UI's buttons work differently and give a warning, but the R&D ones are way too easy to click by mistake. I'm not enough of a pessimist to think that was done on purpose, but it's been this way for a long time now and it really should be changed.

-edit-

gorngonzolla (you don't know how much I love that name and avatar!), you don't show up in the devtracker. In fact, several recent posts from different devs aren't in there.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The dev tracker is pretty seriously messed up...I know Tacofangs is missing too. Who else?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited January 2015

But back on topic, this update on the R&D schools is greatly appreciated. Here's an idea too. What about making it so that unlocking R&D school slots is account-wide? so that when one toon has a school at level 15, all the toons have five R&D slots unlocked? I think this would go a long way to making crafting more alt-friendly.

Crafting is already very alt friendly, its the bonus level 15 trait that is not alt friendly.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Our concern at the time was that players might be able to progress through a single R&D school too quickly.

And the button that allows players to "Finish Now", doesn't accomplish exactly the same thing?

Meanwhile, if you want to improve R&D, add an "R&D Recruitment Project" at Starfleet/Klingon Academy (and New Romulus Command), so we can more easily obtain the required R&D Doffs for the Level 15 special projects.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thank you for communicating this and for the change. Although the Finish Now button does allow players to finish quickly.

The change is a start, and I welcome it. Can we get a cancellation button added? Different school projects sometimes do not appear in the school where they should.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thank you for communicating this and for the change. Although the Finish Now button does allow players to finish quickly.

The change is a start, and I welcome it. Can we get a cancellation button added? Different school projects sometimes do not appear in the school where they should.

It's ok to finish fast by Paying...

It's not ok, to finish fast without paying.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    The dev tracker is pretty seriously messed up...I know Tacofangs is missing too. Who else?

pwgroverclvlnd's recent posts aren't in there, and I know one by warpdustdev was missing a while back. Borticus had been missing, but his posts are showing again. There are probably others, considering I usually find dev posts with the dev tracker.
  • Options
    ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hi all,

I wanted to inform you all of some upcoming improvements we'll be making to R&D research projects. You might recall that very early on there was a bug that allowed players to slot more than one R&D research project per school at a time. While this was unintended it did get us to look at this issue and to seriously consider the repercussions of allowing players to slot more than research project per school. Our concern at the time was that players might be able to progress through a single R&D school too quickly. At the time we chose to simply fix the bug.

However, after months of the system being in players' hands and collecting data both from personal experience and from players we've decided to increase the number of active research projects per school from 1 up to 3. Our hope is that this gives players some options on how they can progress via R&D research projects. Players now have the option to focus on a smaller number of R&D school and progress more quickly instead of only being able to spread out their experience in as many schools as they have project slots.

This change will go live with our Anniversary update later this month. We look forward to getting this improvement rolled out and into your hands!

Regards,

Cryptic Studios

Lead Systems Designer

Thank you, both for the change (a welcome one) and the notification (a timely one).
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.