test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

remember omega store on DS9?

scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
Do you remember the gambling with getting the parts for the space sets from STFs as
RANDOM drops?

I hated it! first time cure=engines
somewhat 20 times infected for a drop
and took me over 100 to get the last part back then...

and then rep-system came and got us rid of teh gambling
ok costs DIL now but in total its letts runs and fair

now do the same with R&D!

I dont want to paly gambling lottery! make it FAIR same amounts 4 every1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by scrooge69 on

Comments

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    R&D should have fixed mods. The investment (mostly in time) to reach lvl15 in R&D and the craft themselves is worth having the choice of mod.

As for the Omega rep, I think they should have kept the gamble AND added the option to buy the gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What gets me is that the anti borg weapons disappeared when the rep system started.I'd like to see them return in the rep store and as drops from the boxes.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    Do you remember the gambling with getting the parts for the space sets from STFs as
    RANDOM drops?

i feel the opposite. the loss of the random stf drops had a huge negative effect on the social aspect of stfs and ushered in the age of the time-gated grind.
    putting together teams and hitting those stfs in the hopes of a drop were perhaps the best times ive ever had in sto.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    R&D isn't in the same situation at all. All crafted items are tradeable. If you don't feel like "gambling," just buy the items you want instead.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i feel the opposite. the loss of the random stf drops had a huge negative effect on the social aspect of stfs and ushered in the age of the time-gated grind.
    putting together teams and hitting those stfs in the hopes of a drop were perhaps the best times ive ever had in sto.

Agreed.

I like the reputation system in that everything is available for everyone, and people have had rotten luck with the RNG of the old system. Beyond that there isn't much else going for them. Traits are awful, timegates are the most dull and artificial method of getting a player to login, and marks made it so that everyone farmed the same tiny handful of missions over and over.

At least the old system had everyone playing all the STF content regularly, DS9 was always packed with players looking to mingle or find a team, and it felt good when that one piece of tech you needed for ages finally dropped for you.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    RANDOM drops?

I LOVED it...but I just wish that I'd kept all of my [Borg] weapons :-( I didn't have as many ships, bank or inventory space and I didn't know any better than to discard them :-( :-(

It was a lot more fun. Neural Processors for those rewards...
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i remember when the [Borg] mod where on weapons, it was fun to collect the tech pieces
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • inthefluxxinthefluxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    R&D isn't in the same situation at all. All crafted items are tradeable. If you don't feel like "gambling," just buy the items you want instead.

Can't do that with Dominion Polaron beams.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i am a huge fan of diablo games, and i love farming for my gear and i hate the rep system. But, i think if they went with this kind of system they should stick with it. at this moment the r&d system is money eating... i'm still using the mk xii on my ship 'cuz i don't want to spend around 100mil for a crtdx4 epic weap.
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gholendhor wrote: »
    What gets me is that the anti borg weapons disappeared when the rep system started.I'd like to see them return in the rep store and as drops from the boxes.

if I remember correctly they didnt work as intended
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    if I remember correctly they didnt work as intended
    It worked on some borgs, but not everything. Cryptic tried to patch it numerous times, and failed. Then, they did as they always do when they can't make it better, they remove it from the game.
    Like the kid who break a glass, and hide it because he doesn't know how to repair it. Hoping nobody see it.

Trust me, if Cryptic would have been able to remove the KDF faction, they would have done so a long time ago.
    Since they were unable to do so without major drama, they are now giving the 3 factions the same content. Which is another way to remove them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    RANDOM drops?

I played 4 space STF's to get my complete space MACO Mk XII set. Why would it have taken you that many times to acquire it? I thought they where the reward for completing the previous STF's?
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,241 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    RANDOM drops?

R&D is worse as its flat out broken in areas. Its stupid how someone can be level 20 and unable to upgrade there own gear due to bugs.
  • admiralmarcusadmiralmarcus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For my 2 cents I HATED the rep system and still kinda do. It makes it impossible for small fleets to stay competitive in PvP and its such a grind to get all the passives. That being said Delta Rising limiting the active passives and adding tier 6 was the one thing that kinda - sorta fixed that.
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lunasto wrote: »
    I played 4 space STF's to get my complete space MACO Mk XII set. Why would it have taken you that many times to acquire it? I thought they where the reward for completing the previous STF's?

so you are telling me you did 4 STFs and got 4 MK12 parts? and then never again did STFs?

those things were RANDOm drops or low% drops on completion
    For my 2 cents I HATED the rep system and still kinda do. It makes it impossible for small fleets to stay competitive in PvP and its such a grind to get all the passives. That being said Delta Rising limiting the active passives and adding tier 6 was the one thing that kinda - sorta fixed that.

what does rep system do with fleets? right nothing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    so you are telling me you did 4 STFs and got 4 MK12 parts? and then never again did STFs?

those things were RANDOm drops or low% drops on completion

what does rep system do with fleets? right nothing

Yup, our fleet leader at the time told us that was the only way to get them. So I played a different one once every day until I aquired the set, the one time I didn't get one, and figured it must have been a glitch or something, so I tried again the next day and got it!

I do not like the Borg missions, I'm horrible at ground fighting so I never bothered with the ground STF's. I only played the space ones for the MACO gear.
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yup, our fleet leader at the time told us that was the only way to get them. So I played a different one once every day until I aquired the set, the one time I didn't get one, and figured it must have been a glitch or something, so I tried again the next day and got it!

I do not like the Borg missions, I'm horrible at ground fighting so I never bothered with the ground STF's. I only played the space ones for the MACO gear.

So you acquired a STF set in less than 10 STFs? Expect to get numerous complaints from jealous players that had to run hundreds of STFs for a single piece.
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    So you acquired a STF set in less than 10 STFs? Expect to get numerous complaints from jealous players that had to run hundreds of STFs for a single piece.

[OUT TO LUNCH]
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,477 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Luna... you got frickin' lucky.

Commander Roxy does need a new job. She's feeling neglected.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    <---- has genius idea. So what if when you hit 20 you get to pick 2 mods FOR SURE and rest is random? I think that's more than enough. Or if you really wanna stretch the chance of it happening, you get to choose all 3 mods. And before you say "but we hit 15 we deserve chosen mods" think about what you're saying. Basically this, "I opened sto, I pushed a button, another button 5 more buttons and then wait 20 hours but I'm gonna complain about less than a minute necessary to do this, because I should get stuff for being a busy potato". There. :).
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It was always odd hearing some of the complaints prior to S7 from folks. The uniform complaints tended to be Ground, but Space was all over the place. That was back when I rerolled guys every 2-3 weeks instead of paying for respecs, cause ding 50 in a weekend and have a Mk XII set and a couple of Mk XI sets before the next weekend. Others could go weeks trying...was definitely an odd time.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    people have had rotten luck with the RNG

People still have rotten luck with the RNG...

CoughLockboxesCough!

:D
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Frankly, I'm happy the old Omega reputation system has been thrown away. Running instances with only ONE person getting the token was B.S. That makes the game more "social"? I don't see that. I see 1 person walking away with something while everyone else's efforts, regardless of who actually was doing more, got nothing.

As for the R&D system, for the resources dumped into crafting, RNG should not be a factor and the choice given to the crafter. If RNG should be a factor, then the costs for crafting should be a lot cheaper.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Congratulations. You were incredibly lucky. I remember running STF after STF with people for months and watching some great players not get the drop they needed because they did not get a random number.

I miss the social aspect of visiting the store with so many others around, and looking through all the different weapons.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited January 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYt0WbDjJ4E
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As for the R&D system, for the resources dumped into crafting, RNG should not be a factor and the choice given to the crafter. If RNG should be a factor, then the costs for crafting should be a lot cheaper.

Hrmmm, think they woefully underestimated the amount of RNG that would be taking place there. Cause it would appear that the prices for crafting are as low as they are because of taking into account some element of RNG. You go to buy a weapon and compare that cost to how much it would be to craft a weapon. Once you get into removing the RNG, then the prices would have to go up. IMHO, there's just too much RNG involved for the discount that's being provided for the prices.

Could have sworn there was a thread discussing it...er...here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1151831

So yeah, removing RNG would increase costs...but the costs for the amount of RNG is just off, imho.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Frankly, I'm happy the old Omega reputation system has been thrown away. Running instances with only ONE person getting the token was B.S. That makes the game more "social"? I don't see that. I see 1 person walking away with something while everyone else's efforts, regardless of who actually was doing more, got nothing.

for me it was all about the teaming and the repeated runs with a group of people that you grew to knew. it was about friendships forged due to a common goal. when one person got the drop people were usually pretty happy for them, cos at the least it was evidence that the drop did indeed happen :) there was also a lot of team communication back then, something you never see in an stf these days. it was just vastly different to running ise 50 times and filling rep buckets. your ground set was a trophy you could wear and was evidence that you generally knew what you were doing. your space set felt something like an accomplishment rather than temporary grind loot. i actually kinda feel bad for newer people that will never get the chance to experience stfs that way.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Same here I miss the visits to Roxy, now every once in a while I'll stop by just so she has some company for a minute or two.
    for me it was all about the teaming and the repeated runs with a group of people that you grew to knew. it was about friendships forged due to a common goal. when one person got the drop people were usually pretty happy for them, cos at the least it was evidence that the drop did indeed happen :) there was also a lot of team communication back then, something you never see in an stf these days. it was just vastly different to running ise 50 times and filling rep buckets. your ground set was a trophy you could wear and was evidence that you generally knew what you were doing. your space set felt something like an accomplishment rather than temporary grind loot. i actually kinda feel bad for newer people that will never get the chance to experience stfs that way.

Agreed. It felt like you had accompolished something to go there to exchange the tech for weapons shields etc.

And seeing someone in the full ground armor, I knew they had spent time getting that and it gave me something to go for. I never got any ground items, and now you can get the sets without ever doing anything related to the missions.

Heck I have a couple of toons with t5 mastery in everything and they have not run any missions related to the Reps at all. Getting mark boxes from every event with full choices has its down side.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd welcome Roxy onto my ship, I need new eye candy. :D

Maybe we could get her as a new BOFF or something or a buy from Omega T5.