test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alt-friendly, how?

meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
Yeah. Podcast said something about 2015 becoming more alt-friendly. What does that mean? More account-bound stuff? (As opposed to bound-to-character) Lower upgrade cost for items you've already upgraded on another toon? (gawd, I hate that word :P). Seriously, what does it all mean?
3lsZz0w.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    When you log into an alt, you will see a smiley face on the mini-map. Also, all doors will open automatically for your alt 3m earlier than for your main.

I guess we'll see it when we'll see it. An earlier podcast mentioned some ideas, like unlocking a discount on upgrades when you already upgraded a particular type of item (e.g. Shield or or something) to Mark XIV, or something like that. But nothing was decided by that point...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pewpewphazorspewpewphazors Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They seemed to have begun by doubling skill point gain. I'd call that a good start.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They seemed to have begun by doubling skill point gain. I'd call that a good start.

Triple and I call it fair...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Wait, wut?! That's just the XP weekend in effect (on your main too). I did, however, take advantage of the event to finally level up my Rom alt (34x faster than elsewhere, this weekend).

I *was* able to fill out Specialization, right as of lv 50. (Couldn't you only do that at lv 60, heretofore?) If so, that's alt-friendly already. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I *was* able to fill out Specialization, right as of lv 50. (Couldn't you only do that at lv 60, heretofore?) If so, that's alt-friendly already. :)
    Sound like a bug, specialization should open at 50, not before.
    And I would not tell anyone what happened to you :) Sound like it was 17 times faster than for anyone else :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Sound like a bug, specialization should open at 50, not before.
    And I would not tell anyone what happened to you :) Sound like it was 17 times faster than for anyone else :D

Read again. :) I said "As of lv 50." It thought it was as of lv 60 before, is all.

The 34, LOL, 2x 17 = 34. Bonus weekend and all, get it? ;)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Read again. :) I said "As of lv 50." It thought it was as of lv 60 before, is all.

The 34, LOL, 2x 17 = 34. Bonus weekend and all, get it? ;)

You should gain your first specialization levelling from 50 to 51, and then every level.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Cryptic definition of "Alt Friendly" is whether it is frustrating enough to get you to buy zen with dollars for your alts. Ding ding ding, they produced another winner.

That also happens to be the definition of everything in this game. If it frustrates a player enough to make money then its the:

"Biggest Success Ever and the Players Love It!!!!!"
  • Options
    baxhatrixbaxhatrix Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This game is so Alt Friendly that I deleted all my Alts.

I have no interest in grinding multiple toons and trying to keep them all in gear. It's become a second job already keeping my Main toon up to par and progressing.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've got six toons and I'm thinking of deleting three for various reasons. Between grinds, lack of ship offerings for some toons I have, and general amount of time and resources to fully gear up a toon it's not worth playing this game very much outside of one or two characters regularly.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Until the Upgrade System, and the R&D System receive a massive resource reduction the game is never going to be Alt Friendly. Reduce the resource requirements for them, and make the specialization points account achievements, then we'll talk.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    STO since it went live until a week or two after DR hit was very Alt-Friendly. Then Cryptic turns around to make it Alt-UNfriendly. Now they're saying they're going to make STO Alt-Friendly again?

LOL, sure. Maybe when the Fleet Guramba arrives.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Add a R+D sponsorship token at level 15.

Knowing you'll be waiting 3 months to get those traits no matter what you do (aside from dump insane amounts of Dil) really makes alt a lot less desirable to make.

Reps are only 40 days without sponsor ship. R+D is 120 for level 15 and you don't have the slots to do them all at the same time.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    To be honest, with how extremely high the cost is to upgrade to MK XIV, it should be free for your alts to upgrade, not just discounted. If they discount them, it will most likely bring the discounted cost down to where it should be to begin with.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well. they don't call them "Cryptic" for nothing... :D

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Not really.

They doubled skill point gains, but also required more points per level.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So far I don't have issues with my Alts. Each one is at various stages. But I only have 3 characters total.

I do have a Sci, that I don't play often. But its due to lack of time to play. Not due to game content.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    So far I don't have issues with my Alts. Each one is at various stages. But I only have 3 characters total.

I do have a Sci, that I don't play often. But its due to lack of time to play. Not due to game content.

Three characters is nothing though. This game used to let you handle far more with good decency.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Three characters is nothing though. This game used to let you handle far more with good decency.

To the one true main crowd two characters, in total, is a lot of alts.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've picked a tac toon to delete. Already stripped out all the gear and sold it as well as moved resources to other toons. Only thing left is refining the remaining dilithium and passing that on as well. I'll wait till February to do the same to two more toons. It'll be nice not having as many alts, less upgrade costs over all and less need to buy ships from the Z store. :D
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    To the one true main crowd two characters, in total, is a lot of alts.

I don't place too much stock in the main crowd when quite a number of them don't know the fundamentals even with endgame characters.

And I'm not talking about inexperienced newbies.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Going to give out something that gives you half a level and say they did something. I'm done with this TRIBBLE lol.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Even before DR, it was all I can do for alts. I just don't have time to play. I'm good to get around 2 hours to play. IF I'm lucky I get up to 4 hours per week. So lack of alts is not part of content on my end. Its lack of good playing time.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only way they could make it alt friendly for me is to make all items account bound including lockbox ships(making them reclaimable) and to make all the reputation's shared so you only have to grind the leveling of them once...... Doubt that would happen.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nimbull wrote: »
    I've picked a tac toon to delete. Already stripped out all the gear and sold it as well as moved resources to other toons. Only thing left is refining the remaining dilithium and passing that on as well. I'll wait till February to do the same to two more toons. It'll be nice not having as many alts, less upgrade costs over all and less need to buy ships from the Z store. :D

Why delete though? Why not let it languish at the bottom of your character list till the End-of-Time-Itself! Then should the more alt-friendly changes be good, it'll still be there, or if you want to change things up, or even just answer the lore question each day for the 480 free dilithium?

Deleting it seems to me to be cutting your nose off to spite your face, and equally as pointless.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,103 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How about we start the specialization grinding at level 10? Granted it wont fill out a primary tree but im okay grinding... the remaining points as long as it doesn't feel like "a never ending cycle"

More XP - enough said there.

Reputation.... uhmmm fine for the moment.

Traits - make those you get from boxes account unlocks? (I.E. you unlock... Trait X on character B, Character A has access to that trait as well. ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have I think 12 characters total. Pre-Delta Rising 3 of them were basically very well geared (by very well geared I mean I could go in PvP and be competitive) while the rest were moderately geared. I used my many alts to train boffs on my 3 mains and to farm dilithium when I needed it. Post-Delta Rising my 3 mains have turned into 1 main, I simply don't have the time or resources or the will to spend money to keep those 3 characters up, nor do I have the will to grind the spec skills on all 3. Just doing that on one has been a mind-numbing experience. It's sad because I really enjoyed them those 3 mains as they all brought something a little different to the table.

Anyway, I dunno what they plan to do to make the game more "alt friendly" but I don't really see them doing much honestly. Not with how they have nerfed rewards and xp into the ground. Still I will keep all my alts, but I don't plan on upgrading any of their gear or level/grind them spec points.
    Tza0PEl.png