test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Happy 20th, Voyager!

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
Twenty years ago, Star Trek: Voyager premiered on TV! How crazy is that? I remember seeing it on UPN a few times, but I never really cared for it because I was 5 and liked watching Moesha more anyway. :D But still, crazy to think that Voyager came out 20 years ago. I found this link on Yahoo and it's actually pretty cool to see that even a show like Voyager can inspire the same fandom experiences that the other series has for a lot of us. Hell, I got the same experience from STO.

Link here.

Also, because it's Voyager's 20th birthday, how about for until midnight tonight PST, we keep the Janeway burning effigy and the Neelix blood sacrifice on the back burner? We just say nice things and then at midnight, we go nuts, tear the show to pieces and set the Intrepid to self destruct?
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Happy birthday, biggest disappointment ever to hit the Star Trek universe...

See, I'm not burning Janeway at the stake or sacrificing Neelix to blood deities! :D
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Eh, I think Elite Force made good use of the Voyager premise.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »

See, I'm not burning Janeway at the stake or sacrificing Neelix to blood deities! :D

Ehh, ya got me there. :D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ... dang, I was 35 then ...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015

...... ..... ....
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited January 2015

...in this particular post. ;)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hey, even the most ardent Voyager-haters need a break!

And besides, I'm doing something constructive! The Mysterious Case of Neelix's Lungs just had its 5th chapter published yesterday!

I'm using a terrible show to make something nice! No burning of Janeway at the stake in sight!
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...... ..... ....
    Translation, according to the Morse Code Translator:
    ?5H
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2015
    Eh, I think Elite Force made good use of the Voyager premise.

agreed. I kept wishing it had been part of the actual canon. I really liked the idea of the micro-replicator on the tool belts that would store a handful of bulky items like helmets.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Translation, according to the Morse Code Translator:

that should give you something to think about.

by the way, is there a way to translate non-verbal communication into morse? I need it for my middlefinger..
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Khorne will be disappointed
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      Happy Birthday! I've been binge-watching light the series and am enjoying (some of) it. :)
    • Options
      hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      it's the imperfections that help make it, and that cheesy music is perfeccccccccck

happy 20th
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      It's the 17th.

You may now tear this thread apart.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      that should give you something to think about.

by the way, is there a way to translate non-verbal communication into morse? I need it for my middlefinger..
      At present Morse code only codes text, therefore you have to render it as text then transliterate that.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      Janeway's a mass-murdering incompetent psychopath and part-time Mary Sue. Neelix is an abusive, arrogant, incompetent creep with no redeeming features whatsoever. Nobody ever listens to Tuvok despite the fact that he is one of 3 people on the ship who occasionally seem to have a clue. They treat the holodoc like an inanimate object despite the fact that he's the most brilliant, well-developed character on the show. Chakotay is an offensive racist caricature. Torres literally can't identify sh*t with a tricorder. Tom Paris is omnicompetent and should be Supreme Generalissimo of Starfleet, yet he's the worst expectant father imaginable. Seven of Nine's outfits and plotlines are often disturbingly exploitative and sexist. Kes is a Mary Sue. Harry Kim is like eternal incompetence mixed with pure misery and sexual frustration.

The Kazon are the worst villains imaginable. Continuity is often optional. The Borg get nerfed into oblivion. The Vidiians get shafted, despite having a good concept. The entire show is one long disappointment. Everybody is heterosexual and yet there's more outright homosexual subtext (between Harry and Tom, and Seven and various folks) than an hour and a half of Kirk and Spock mud-wrestling. Harry Kim gives up a beautiful fiancee who is literally all over him so that he can be on a ship with Tom Paris, despite his life being basically perfect in "Non Sequitor"'s alternate timeline. Harry Kim exists to (a) be incompetent and (b) get punished for having sex and doing other things that literally everybody else does with no consequences.

The finale is nonsensical and poorly-written. In "Latent Image", Janeway mind-r*pes an officer, potentially irretrievably damaging his personality and violating his being itself, and is treated as a hero. In "Tuvix" she murders an officer in cold blood for being made of the wrong stuff. In "Scorpion" and "The Omega Directive" the attempts genocide and then commits it by criminal negligence, respectively. She commits high treason, threatens to torture fellow Starfleet officers, and flies her ship into Borg space specifically so that she can attack an elite tac cube and get herself assimilated.

On top of that, the entire show insulted my intelligence as a viewer.

Oh, and "Threshold". And "Tattoo". And "Resolutions".

And they f*cked over Harry Kim to the point that it's not even funny. And it's not fair and it's not right.

That enough for you, moonshadowdark?

Oh, and as Poster of the Year, I will award an internet and a half to the first person to make a picture of Neelix being sacrificed to a blood god.
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      Easy there, buddy, take a breath. :D
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      Oh, and Kenneth Biller was about the worst writer I've ever seen.

Yup. Breathing, starsword. Just taking the invitation. :D
    • Options
      daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      And even with all that...

I still think it was entertaining.

:cool:
      STO Member since February 2009.
      I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
      Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
      upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      Oh, and "Real Life" made a disgusting mockery of a tragic situation that nobody should ever have to go through. I wouldn't wish losing a child slowly on Kim Jong-Un. And "Real Life" tries to make it lighthearted.
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      starswordc wrote: »
      Easy there, buddy, take a breath. :D

One day without naming Janeway words, would be a day without his orange juice in the morning. Some kind of ritual.
    • Options
      jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      Happy birthday voyager thanks for being the biggest star trek fail ever to be broadcast

and a speacial thanks for TRIBBLE up STO if it hadnt been for you we wouldnt have Dilithium Rising so yeah thanks a heap voyager :mad:
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited January 2015
      Erm, the players voted for the expansion to be Voyager-themed ... So the fact the show existed is to blame? Wow.
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      Erm, the players voted for the expansion to be Voyager-themed ... So the fact the show existed is to blame? Wow.

Cmdrscarlet.....check out my sig for the underlying truth why the "Fans" voted for voyager :D
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      OK, so Voyager had two good points. Three, if you count Seven's other side.

Four, if you include the Doctor. Five, if you include the time Tuvok killed Neelix on the holodeck.

Still not much.
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      OK, so Voyager had two good points. Three, if you count Seven's other side.

Four, if you include the Doctor. Five, if you include the time Tuvok killed Neelix on the holodeck.

Still not much.

we are grumpy today because ...?
    • Options
      edited January 2015

Because of...Janeway :D
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      Today??

/10char
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      edited January 2015
      There are those who will never believe that the fans voted for that, any more than they'll believe the Vaadwaur won the poll for Big Bad.

If the devs said Earth was a class-M planet, there are those who'd dispute it.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png