test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So... about Science...

13»

Comments

• antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How does one get the Particle Emission Plasma Torpedo? I can't find anything on the Wiki.

You mentioned it can be had from the Exchange, but that's boring. ;)

You can craft it when you have Torpedo R&D to 15.

Level 15 Torp also unlocks the Kinetic Percision trait that increases torp bleed 10%. (another great sci trait of course)

To be completely honest though its still cheaper 9 times out of 10 to just buy one. lol

PS... most people notice right away but if you don't these are 1 per ship only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    WOAHHHHHHHHH! holy brick wall BatMan!!! :D
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You can craft it when you have Torpedo R&D to 15.

Level 15 Torp also unlocks the Kinetic Percision trait that increases torp bleed 10%. (another great sci trait of course)

To be completely honest though its still cheaper 9 times out of 10 to just buy one. lol

PS... most people notice right away but if you don't these are 1 per ship only.

Ah. I see. Well, I believe I could theoretically craft this now on my main character. But I believe I'd need the right DOFF, don't I?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Consider:

1. First off, why the massive focus on Science skills to begin with? Every skill tree has "lemon" skills that are avoided like the plague - Aceton beam anyone - or considered "niche" and not used in most builds (Attack Pattern Delta).

It just seems that Sci has a larger proportion of these than most other classes.

2. What really breaks a lot of Sci skills is PvP. Here, I'm saying it. Consider, a 5k Tachyon beam on the "average" 15k (semi made up number) player's shields is 33% of the shields gone, but on a 50k NPC, it's barely 10%. Disables are much the same, insane NPC resists means that the skills either never bite and/or are "blink and disable ended".

The general consensus is slowly becoming "build NPCs like slightly inflated players, give them solid builds and an AI that 'spacebar macros' (aka fires as soon as cooldown ends, and the cooldowns are based on the standard well skilled player, not the 1 point baselines) them off frequently to be the "enhancements" to make them feel like the massive targets they're desired to be, but because the values will be much closer to "playerlike" numbers, these "neglected" science skills will become useful again...

3. Keep the Tac Buff & Exotic damage correlation intact, it actually encourages teamwork in PuGs that wouldn't have it otherwise. I mean, look no further than what is frequently held up as the #3 overall ship behind the Scim and Wells - the Recluse. What makes that ship so effective? Can we say stacks of pet-thrown AP-B via BFaW onto pile of mobs trapped in GW III?

4. To help mitigate the big complaint about Tacs outdamaging Scis with Sci's own tricks, make / boost the science captain only traits more effective at their job - reason I specify Sci Capt Only is because traits like that L15 Science crafting PGs = Crit skill can be snared by Tacs, too. Also be mindful of how many traits are being used to buff exotic damage - if a Tac needs 3 traits to maximize weapons damage, sci boosts are fit onto 3 traits...

5. Torp revamp? Skill value vs "innate" damage (ie, more damage given from having higher skill level then what's given just from the skill itself, so the Tac who wants to exotic damage might actually have to give up a tactical skill to reach 6/9 in part gens?

Having reasonable success with my Vesta - not a single player has hit me with "L2P", even after a parsed run - and having a Recluse in the yards for when I need to DPS over Science, I'm becoming of a mind that, while all classes require thought and understanding to make effective builds, Science frequently requires thought and action in the mission as well as pre-run - spacebar macroing your average Sci is fail - GW fired as soon as cooldown ends on a Vaadwar Attack frigate when tractor beam / energy weapons kills it in the same 5 seconds then the GW is used on that artillery ship winds up is an example of necessary thought in mission - while the average Tac / BFaW via A2B ship either quick-wipes frigate then uses remainder of enhanced damage on artillery ship / hits both at the same time...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited November 2014
    Ah. I see. Well, I believe I could theoretically craft this now on my main character. But I believe I'd need the right DOFF, don't I?

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2dscos/level_15_crafting_doffs_get_schooled/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bindingchainsbindingchains Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree and would go beyond that, I think ground Science officer bonus are simply pathetic (for healing modules). There is not a single useful one. The only one is the officer that gives Nanite 40% chance to have 4 extra charges.. bessides that... everything is simply useless. Will Power buff, chance to increase max HP by a ridiculous amont, chance to cast a small heal on your strongest heals (As if you really need that? A Strong haeal will top any player despise that), etc..

On my engineer character I cant make my mind what officers use on ground, they are all awesome and extremly useful. On my Science (which is mostly a healer)... if I run without a single officer it wont hurt at all.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I seem to be doing okay damage wise...I can take out things if I actually try.

To me there are two things I'd rather see more than just more damage tacked onto the abilities.

1: I'd like to maybe see their cooldowns lowered a bit...not to much to make them the fotm of the month for tacs again between the new delta console, maco set, and the fleet deflectors.

Who knows maybe the don't need the cooldown? I don't use the fleet deflector currently.

2: they need more power, it seems like since DR sci powers are weaker than ever...I've been seeing npcs able to break out of my GW3...granted I don't have any Grav Gens, but they also weren't using any kinda of movement increasing skills.

Shield drains mean almost nothing to npcs...I mean either you take their shields down easy enough with energy weapons of their shields are up till they're dead. Power drains...if you stack a bunch onto a target and you're able to get their shields down they're back up in like a few seconds.

It's like even at 50 npcs seemed to have gotten a power insulator and inertial dampener increase across the board or maybe Sci abilities got a slight stealth nerf...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    Consider:
    2. What really breaks a lot of Sci skills is PvP. Here, I'm saying it. Consider, a 5k Tachyon beam on the "average" 15k (semi made up number) player's shields is 33% of the shields gone, but on a 50k NPC, it's barely 10%. Disables are much the same, insane NPC resists means that the skills either never bite and/or are "blink and disable ended".

but this does make me wonder why they cant code the dam skills so that Tachyon beam does far more drain to a npc shield than a player one.

i am by no means an expert when it comes to coding but i just fail to see why science captains abilities cant be buffed up big time but only against npc's if what little is left of the pvp crowd are going to whine.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    antonio how dare you! you broke the game ;-P

i hadnt thought of a couple of those things though i have been using my gravmetric torp its drop dead sexy its proc damage is only buffed by part gens so its one of the best science torps available maybe not the best spike that goes to the delta torp but it adds dps numbers.

CombatLogReader—[12:01]— Dmg(DPS) —Andy 25,751,258(36,371) i did that in japori few others were there. out dpsed a WIP scimi

that is with the settings set to dps standards

on a side note i still think more needs to be done to balance out the game its too focused on killing i want them to bring back those old diplo missions even if they dont reward anything i miss them ;-P oh and exploration.
  • farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree and would go beyond that, I think ground Science officer bonus are simply pathetic (for healing modules). There is not a single useful one. The only one is the officer that gives Nanite 40% chance to have 4 extra charges.. bessides that... everything is simply useless. Will Power buff, chance to increase max HP by a ridiculous amont, chance to cast a small heal on your strongest heals (As if you really need that? A Strong haeal will top any player despise that), etc..

On my engineer character I cant make my mind what officers use on ground, they are all awesome and extremly useful. On my Science (which is mostly a healer)... if I run without a single officer it wont hurt at all.

I disagree here. A nice combo of modules is: triage, nanite health monitor, electrogravitic field, exothermic induction and tachyon harmonics. Electrogravitic field can be doffed with a geologist for the "ground gravity well", tachyon harmonics can be doffed with a hirogen technician for damage vs. drones, exothermic induction can be doffed with a voth explosive expert for fire ball, a risian doff (don't remember profession) for root effect and another geologist for CD reduction. Further you can equip a biochemist for -40 all res for 5 sec, which works on many skills (tricorder scan, neural neutralizer, tachyon harmonics etc..). Neural neutralizer can be doffed with a research lab scientist for confuse. A biologist can be equipped for longer tricorder scan.
    You see, there are plenty of doffs to use on ground. If you go for heals only, 3 vr doctors give you massive life, a counselor for increased willpower and a biochemist for CD reduction on hypos are a nice combo to become almost immortal.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2014
    Necroing my own thread, so I don't have to start a new topic.

I took the advice of the people in this thread, and yeah, I was doing science wrong. I'm much less frustrated, and am killing things quite well now. Haven't parsed myself, since my build isn't done, but I "feel" a lot more useful to teams now. I plan on burning some purple rocks this weekend to get the trait, as well, so that should help even more.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=partitimebeta_0

This is what my ship is running at the moment. My current plan is to replace the Romulan Experimental Plasma with the new rep torpedo, and to replace my assimilated module for the new rep console (bio-gel packs). I kind of want to replace my cutting beam for the new rep weapon to gain the 3-piece attack, but am unsure if it would be wise.

I also know that I need to get a new particle field exciter, since I got the wrong one (d'oh!). Right now, my particle generators are at 330 flat, would getting that new particle exciter and upgrading all my fleet consoles up to Mk XIV be enough to hit that magical 400 mark? Or am I going to need to upgrade them to epic? Also, I purchased Positive Feedback Loop, so I'm running the following traits: Exotic Absorption, Astrophysicist, Conservation of Energy, Fleet Physicist, Positive Feedback Loop, Warp Theorist, Photonic Capacitor, and Techie. I will be hitting 60 soon, so that's where I'm going to put the Science crafting trait when I get it this weekend. Are there any other traits I should pick up? I'm going to be working on Projectiles soon, so I'll get that trait as well.

Any advice on reputation traits?
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
    edited November 2014
    Looks pretty good so far... might want to remove the romulan torp in the back and put a 360 beam in (or replace the cutter) I like the cutter but you can't use the target subs with it. I know in pve the target subs are lackluster... still nice to target weapons on things like gates and stuff.

If you run fleet sci consoles 400 should be easy enough. Honestly even where you are its still very very good. 300 is still 75% crit chance on exotic. (with the PM trait)

Rep traits are pretty easy... run the 2 Nukura aux power based ones. (no reason you shouldn't be at 100 aux power all the time)... Omega Sheering is great with all the torps. Its free dmg can't go wrong. The fourth one really what ever you like... the defensive ones are nice, the romlan one that disables weapons is alright on there. The main ones really are the nukura +dmg from aux and omega sheer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegreeblerthegreebler Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    WARNING: WALL OF TEXT AND EXCESSIVE PARENTHETICAL STATEMENTS BELOW!

TL;DR: Science needs a DPS boost. Our primary damage "thing" (exotic) is pathetic and lame, especially compared to the DPS available to BFAW builds. It is my dream for it to be a big deal with an enemy slips into a Tyken's Rift or Gravity Well, hopefully by boosting exotic damage. This is even more of an issue with the new content.

There are three professions in this game: tactical, engineering, and science. Upon first picking up the game awhile ago, I assumed that it was the standard trinity: tank (engineering), spank (tactical), and heals or CC (science). After playing awhile (especially after doing the new content), it has become clear that the developers do not want a "trinity" styled game, but would rather have every class doing as much DPS as possible. This is fine, since I normally sway towards the min/max mindset in MMOs anyway, and had no trouble creating both a tactical and an engineer with hilariously inflated DPS potential (with the help of Aux2Bat). I am having trouble, however, creating a science officer with similar DPS potential. Allow me to explain.

With a tactical, one can achieve high DPS just by using the skills native to you. In fact, a tactical aux2bat will be able to achieve higher DPS than a non-tactical, even if only by a little. Even without aux2bat cheesebuilds, you can just double-stack a cannon skill and some attack patterns and blow everything up without much issue. I know, since I was able to get around 15k DPS without aux2bat on my Defiant, of all things.

With an engineer, one can achieve high DPS with a standard "dragon" build, again something available to most engineering ships, and tailored to the engineer's native abilities. An engineer will be able to get similar DPS to the tactical, but with the added benefit of having emergency heals at the cost of slight DPS. The engineer is also capable of performing the aux2bat build without sacrificing any of his native flavor, and get massive DPS.

With a science officer, one can achieve HORRIBLE dps with the skills native to us. One might argue that science skills such as Tyken's Rift and Gravity Well are supposed to be weak, since they are a control and a drain first and foremost, and it would destroy PvP and make it deader than it already is (hint: it's dead, Jim). I say this is bullplop, and here's why: Gravity Well and Tyken's Rift are the two most effective DPS abilities in PvE, bar none. But Gravity well is only good if the enemies do not have a means of quick escape from it (they almost always do in STFs), since a science officer must endure a lengthy cooldown before he or she can cast it again. And Tyken's Rift, which feels like the butter to gravity well's bread, shares that lengthy cooldown with gravity well. You cannot cast both of them at the same time. Why? I don't know, it's not like Tyken's Rift does a particularly brutal amount of damage to enemies, and since the enemies apparently do not have subsystems, then it's utility is gone. All other science skills are mostly devoted to draining (useless in PvE) and healing (players can usually take care of themselves, since they pack their own heals, or are so stupidly suicidal that it would be an exercise in frustration to even attempt to heal them).

The cooldowns, the shared cooldowns, the ineffectiveness versus an enemy's subsystems, all this could be forgiven if a science officer's abilities did a good deal of exotic damage. But you know what? Even if you somehow get your exotic damage up to high levels, gravity well and tyken's rift STILL don't do jack to the enemy hitpoints, because exotic damage is garbage, and those skills simply don't do ENOUGH. It sucks having your doff proc and having a cluster of enemies trapped in three gravity wells and a tyken's rift, only to notice that there are FRIGGING 23's PROCCING ON THEM. There is no reason why a science officer shouldn't be able to make them horribly devastating by speccing into Exotic Damage.

Here's my proposed solution: Make exotic damage not factor into ANY resists against PvE monsters. If Gravity Well III does 500 exotic damage per second, then you are going to see 500 points of their health tick away each second. Secondly, decrease cooldowns on Tyken's Rift and Gravity Well by 5 seconds each, so that it's easier to follow up with them. Thirdly, make Tyken's Rift NOT share a cooldown with Gravity Well. They belong together like Sunny and Cher. Finally, give all weapons equipped on a science vessel a 20% chance to deal X exotic damage, with X linked to Aux power.

Thanks for reading my wall of text if you did. Sincerely:

One frustrated science captain who kills things but not as fast as he should.

Dunno man.

Science is one of those so weird, that you know when you are doing it wrong.. you die... ALOT.

I made a grav well build off a guide... literally got no heals on my shields. Trying to copy this guy, but my gear just aint there yet:)
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Science takes a lot of time to build up to be effective, but properly geared a science ship can be devastating. I think that one of the major issues with science powers are that they do not do enough base damage. A gravity well is effectively a black hole.....the most destructive thing known to science.....the thing that Einstein thought was too terrifying to even exist when he theorized it. Gravity well should just flat out do more base damage, and instantly destroy small fighters like pets.
  • ereiidereiid Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    calamintha wrote: »
    It's hard to balance. It used to be easy to completely nullify a tac cube (or even Donatra) with Tyken's Rift, Plasmonic Leech, Aceton Assimilator and 2 hangars of Siphon Drones. That was pretty silly.

I'm reminded of my previous experience with Cryptic back in City of Heroes/Villains.

A great amount of very extensive nerf handwringing was had by their Control and Buff/Debuff classes overrunning the competition over a few seasons.

In the years I've been playing STO - I can't help but sense those lessons from CoH/V about broad metapowers are what have them so reticent to drop mass buffs on Sci.

I'm curious about all those Shield Refrequencers?
    I also know that I need to get a new particle field exciter, since I got the wrong one (d'oh!). Right now, my particle generators are at 330 flat, would getting that new particle exciter and upgrading all my fleet consoles up to Mk XIV be enough to hit that magical 400 mark?

PartGen is important, to be certain. But I'm on a campaign lately to try and boost GravGen usage - I'm seeing so many Grav Wells lately that grab nothing - that I can't help but sense that a lot of expensive PartGen is going to waste, since some of these wimpy Grav Wells I'm seeing are holding nothing in place.
  • dorlos2dorlos2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Damn... can you please stop posting such interesting and challenging ideas for sci builds. I don't have the time to realize all the crazy ideas I got over the time :rolleyes:

I thought my next project would be a romulan torpedoboat sci ... but then i read this thread and the little voice inside my head goes "Try it! Go try it!! Try it faster! You're still not trying it!!!!"

So.. what faction would you suggest for such a PartGen 'bomber'? Romulan ok?
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dorlos2 wrote: »
    So.. what faction would you suggest for such a PartGen 'bomber'? Romulan ok?
    Go Fed. They have the best sci ships. PGen Vestas can be insane. One of their consoles buffs exotic dmg even more (the science one, i think) and the Quantum Field Focus Phaser profits from PGens. Scryer is good too, due to the ship trait.

On a general note:
    I like how every thread about how sience sucks is made by people who don't know how to properly build for exotic dmg.

I guess the lvl 15 R&D traits should've been advertised more. Particle Manipulator absolutely makes this kind of build.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It sucks having your doff proc and having a cluster of enemies trapped in three gravity wells and a tyken's rift, only to notice that there are FRIGGING 23's PROCCING ON THEM. There is no reason why a science officer shouldn't be able to make them horribly devastating by speccing into Exotic Damage.

I don't know what you're doing wrong but you're doing something wrong, I frequently see 1000s rising from my sci's grav well victims. My suggestion would be that you get a sci ship with three tactical powers, then try stacking Grav well with FAW and APB annd sensor scan, even if you only rie one round of FAW to spread the APB, your killing potential should be much higher, if you add in full time FAW then you'll notice an even greater boost to your killing power.

For example, I flew my fleet Nova into a group of Vaadwaur ships in Korfez, dropped grav well, sensor scan, EPtW, FAW, APB, TT, Sensor scan, Photonic fleet and nimbus pirates and I was surrounded in the blue explosions that were Vaadwaur ships before my grav well had faded.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    On a general note:
    I like how every thread about how sience sucks is made by people who don't know how to properly build for exotic dmg.

It is a bit like with real-life science. You cannot just become a scientist. It requires a certain amount of intelligence, long time studying, learning methods, making experiments etc. Just wearing a lab coat and holding a test tube in your hand won't do the job :D
  • inthefluxxinthefluxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It would be better if Tachyon Beam drained a percentage of their shields, rather than a set amount.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    inthefluxx wrote: »
    It would be better if Tachyon Beam drained a percentage of their shields, rather than a set amount.

Maybe... But I am not sure it's the best approach. Maybe Charged Particle Burst and Tachyon Beam need a "side-ways" enhancement. Something like debuffing shield healing and suppressing innate shield regeneration, or outright dispelling certain shield buffs.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited January 2015
    Maybe... But I am not sure it's the best approach. Maybe Charged Particle Burst and Tachyon Beam need a "side-ways" enhancement. Something like debuffing shield healing and suppressing innate shield regeneration, or outright dispelling certain shield buffs.

Secondary deflectors if they ever make it in game for everything. The Shield drain version boosts tachyon beam drain 33% in the form of a shield draining dot.

Same deflector also boosts CPB 100% in the form of a stronger dot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kamipoi wrote: »
    im hoping its soon antonio!
    Come to the dark side! We have secondary deflectors![/sith mind trick]

(yes I'm talking about Tribble)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Quick question about Particle Generators.

When I select ship "Deploy Aceton Assimilator" it does not light up green on the ship screen.
    When I select boff "Tractor Beam 1" it does light up green.

Are these errors? From what I've found online PG should affect "Tractor Beam Repulsor" and "Deploy Aceton Assimilator" but not "Tractor Beam".

Thanks for all the information about PG this is completely changing my build.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"