test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you get your Specializaton Points ?

qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
Hello there !

I was just wondering how people go about getting their spec points. I read that some people have even reached the current cap already and was a little bewildered by that. Are they really doing Argala hundreds of times ? :confused:

I would like you to share your "tactics" with the forum here.

I'm aware that some people might be cautious after the Tau Dewa Debacle when DR launched, so you can P.M. me if you want. I want to make it absolutely clear that I'm not looking for actual exploits, cause those are baddy bad.

:)
Post edited by qjunior on

Comments

• jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    qjunior wrote: »
    Are they really doing Argala hundreds of times ? :confused:

Pretty much.

It's the only thing in this game that rewards even the slightest bit of XP. You can gain a level in a couple of hrs of grinding solo normal. But you will want to rip out your eyes afterwards.

Which is a really good feeling for a computer game to want to engender in its playerbase.

The only other method I can advise is doffing. Pick up missions in FED/KDF neutral zone/DQ that grant large amounts of XP. You probably would be able to get 1-2 points a week doing this and is good for alt play but will still take a long time to fill your trees (not to mention the fact that they seem to be adding them faster than the majority can even make a start)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • unclereekyunclereeky Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If I want to get some xp for specialization, then I go to Argala with a group of people.
    Yes..it might be a bit tedious..but it gets the job done..we average running it about 14
    to 15 times..then we level..sometimes..it doesn't take that long..but in the end..we get
    what we came for...specialization points.

Unclereeky
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hello there !

I was just wondering how people go about getting their spec points. I read that some people have even reached the current cap already and was a little bewildered by that. Are they really doing Argala hundreds of times ? :confused:

I'm aware that some people might be cautious after the Tau Dewa Debacle when DR launched, so you can P.M. me if you want. I want to make it absolutely clear that I'm not looking for actual exploits, cause those are baddy bad.

How do i get specialization points? Doff, Solo big dig and Klingon Scout Force, SB24, fleet alert, a little kerrat and the regular STF. Argala maybe 3-4 times since launch of DR.

Got my main filled up and both alts 2/3
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I love Argala and ironically enough I do it by myself.. and that's on Normal of all things.. 16 of those things are easy.

Lol, and soon there's going to be 90 Specialization Points. >.<
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pretty much.

It's the only thing in this game that rewards even the slightest bit of XP. You can gain a level in a couple of hrs of grinding solo normal. But you will want to rip out your eyes afterwards.

Which is a really good feeling for a computer game to want to engender in its playerbase.

The only other method I can advise is doffing. Pick up missions in FED/KDF neutral zone/DQ that grant large amounts of XP. You probably would be able to get 1-2 points a week doing this and is good for alt play but will still take a long time to fill your trees (not to mention the fact that they seem to be adding them faster than the majority can even make a start)

I figured that Doffing is a nice contribution, most of my characters reached level 60 while sitting next to DS9 and grabbed every xp heavy assignment.

I did use Argala to level the ship mastery on new ships, because it also gave me the opportunity to test it at the same time.

I'm not sure, I think it took like 6 or 7 runs from zero to level 5, but I was bored out of my mind by then. Not sure how I could manage to do it hundreds of times without becoming suicidal.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sell your soul? Trade your firstborn?

I'm kidding obviously but it is pretty painful to get them and is going to take you quite a while unless you grind, grind, grind Argala or a couple other places for XP and even then it takes time and as was said, is incredibly tedious.

On one of my alts, I'm just ignoring chasing the spec tree and trying to just play routinely doffing, a couple STFs or some rep mark chasing and I can tell you, at the rate that alt is getting XP just "playing the game", we will colonize Mars before she even has one Intel Spec filled in. She has, I beleive...3. 3 spec marks since DR went live from just casually playing 30 minutes to an hour each day.

It's ridiculous. Have fun!
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm pretty much insane.. mostly since I did get 20 tier 10s of 33 on a Tank game that was made by WG.net.. >.>

I haven't done doffing since I have no IDEA about it... so I only do Argala..
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sell your soul? Trade your firstborn?

I'm kidding obviously but it is pretty painful to get them and is going to take you quite a while unless you grind, grind, grind Argala or a couple other places for XP and even then it takes time and as was said, is incredibly tedious.

On one of my alts, I'm just ignoring chasing the spec tree and trying to just play routinely doffing, a couple STFs or some rep mark chasing and I can tell you, at the rate that alt is getting XP just "playing the game", we will colonize Mars before she even has one Intel Spec filled in. She has, I beleive...3. 3 spec marks since DR went live from just casually playing 30 minutes to an hour each day.

It's ridiculous. Have fun!

I was an Altaholic until DR came, went from 26 fully geared characters to 12. The bad thing is that I always hated the main/alt idea, but I'm contemplating whether I should pick one to play while the others are demoted to contraband muling and gaining xp passively through Doffing.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not completely relevant to what you asked, but I started a couple of new characters in the last week, and my Romulan is level 47 already and only just going to go back in time to destroy a comet, so by the time he gets to the Delta Quadrant, he should have already nabbed a fair few points. Not helpful for pre-existing characters I know, but it might prove interesting to see.
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Manage to level my alts to lvl 55... so they all have 5 points, mostly just doffing
    I did manage to level up one toon to level 60 by doing missions and Argala in elite/advance mode
    but I like doffing more.
    It helps me building my kdf starbase
    yo ho yo ho a pirate life for me !
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was an Altaholic until DR came, went from 26 fully geared characters to 12. The bad thing is that I always hated the main/alt idea, but I'm contemplating whether I should pick one to play while the others are demoted to contraband muling and gaining xp passively through Doffing.

I've actually seen many people considering the same, myself included. Maybe if i trim it down to just playing one character, I can get back to feeling some sense of progression/gearing and just mule my alts.

I guess in the long run, it would save me time, some frustration and save some money I would have otherwise spent. I do not understand at all the direction DR has taken STO.
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm aware that some people might be cautious after the Tau Dewa Debacle when DR launched, so you can P.M. me if you want.

Cautious is putting it mildly. There was a thread floating around a while back discussing this very topic, don't remember where though. All I can add is play on advanced setting, and make sure anyone you team with does the same. I tried elite for a while but the added time required made it not as good as advanced.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't get points at all :D.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Some stfs some ground elite missions and doffing --> 2-3 spec points a week without playing 24/7
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    How do i get specialization points? Doff, Solo big dig and Klingon Scout Force, SB24, fleet alert, a little kerrat and the regular STF. Argala maybe 3-4 times since launch of DR.

Got my main filled up and both alts 2/3
    Reallllllly ?
    Big dig is a ground mission, so unless the mission itself have a huge xp reward, we are looking at pretty much nothing. Regular stf award 2K xp (more or less). Kerrat, I don't know, do we earn a lot of xp there ?
    As for DOFF, I haven't made a single spec point with it in about a month, doffing every single day. The average doff mission award between 100 and 200xp, while some rare ones award 1-2K.

Just simple maths here : a lvl 60 will need 6000stf, or 1500 Argala to complete its spec tree. Do you really made thousands of STF since DR ? Because if so, that's crazy.

People keep getting ground stf/bz as a way to earn spec point, when it's not even true. Ground xp is the place with the lowest xp in the entire game. Always was. The only ground content worth xp is bug hunt, and that's because you kill a sh**load of bugs. Yet, it's only 2K xp, the same as ISA.

To answer the OP question, since DR was released, playing every day (at the very least, doffing), I've done about 2-3spec point per character. For my lvl 60+.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Reallllllly ?
    Big dig is a ground mission, so unless the mission itself have a huge xp reward, we are looking at pretty much nothing. Regular stf award 2K xp (more or less). Kerrat, I don't know, do we earn a lot of xp there ?
    As for DOFF, I haven't made a single spec point with it in about a month, doffing every single day. The average doff mission award between 100 and 200xp, while some rare ones award 1-2K.

Just simple maths here : a lvl 60 will need 6000stf, or 1500 Argala to complete its spec tree. Do you really made thousands of STF since DR ? Because if so, that's crazy.

People keep getting ground stf/bz as a way to earn spec point, when it's not even true. Ground xp is the place with the lowest xp in the entire game. Always was. The only ground content worth xp is bug hunt, and that's because you kill a sh**load of bugs. Yet, it's only 2K xp, the same as ISA.

To answer the OP question, since DR was released, playing every day (at the very least, doffing), I've done about 2-3spec point per character. For my lvl 60+.

Private match, level 60 and standard elite difficulty setting.
    Each individual npc is pocket change, but there are literally tons of them. One run nets me roughly half a Spec point and usually takes me 15-30 minutes.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    By playing the game when I feel like it.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am not...
    Hello there !

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2015
    one Argala 5 minutes equals (3) 30 minutes of anything else you do in the game

pretty simple math isn't it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pretty much.

No way it should take you a couple of hours to do one level. You're doing something wrong. Even in my under powered sci I can usually fill two bars within an hour or so.

The best way to do Argala is on normal by yourself. You should be able to rip through it by yourself fast enough and is the best time/xp ratio to levelling up.

It still bemuses me that people feel there is a need to group for Argala elite to try and gain xp. It's just not fast enough.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Very... very... slowly... :(
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015

oh and dotn forget R&D on the way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    unclereeky wrote: »
    If I want to get some xp for specialization, then I go to Argala with a group of people.
    Yes..it might be a bit tedious..but it gets the job done..we average running it about 14
    to 15 times..then we level..sometimes..it doesn't take that long..but in the end..we get
    what we came for...specialization points.

Unclereeky

Do you get a bonus XP by teaming up rather than going solo? I thought they drastically reduced the team bonus you would get.

Since some are complaining for not getting rewards past max level 60 Specs...highly doable..not impossible as previously thought
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah i doff mostly to get my specialization points, only grind Argala to level up a starship mastery as thats the fastest way i've found.

Spec points will take however long they take me to earn as no way i'm grinding one boring patrol mission over and over when i could grind other missions that reward dil that can fund me some nice shiney's from the Zen store.

Now if Gorn Minefield/SB 24 and the Space STF's rewarded a equal share of xp then i might play the xp grind game. All these are more enjoyable than Argala, although SB24 isn't as fun anymore since DR and the HP increase.
  • psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you get a bonus XP by teaming up rather than going solo? I thought they drastically reduced the team bonus you would get.

Since some are complaining for not getting rewards past max level 60 Specs...highly doable..not impossible as previously thought

No bonus XP as such, but the amount of enemies scale with the amount of team members
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
    edited January 2015
    psyloaf wrote: »
    No bonus XP as such, but the amount of enemies scale with the amount of team members

The amount of XP per kill also drops a little when in a team.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I play the game and spec points just pop up. Its like I get XP from everything I do even though I never give it much though. :eek: