test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request: Ability to CANCEL R&D projects

illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
Having had the system accidentally slot the WRONG 20 hour project on a number of occasions now, I'd really like for the ability to cancel a project. Just a little button and confirmation dialogue. I don't want any of the inputs, if any, back, just the ability to cancel a project. Heck, make it limited to the annoying 20 hour ones.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd be happy with a simple confirmation dialog on 'Finish Now' to prevent accidental expenditures of up to 17999 dilithium.

Having said that, a cancellation option has merits too.
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Both posts seconded, I hate accidentally wasting 18k dil.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Both posts thirded (if that's a word), especially since sometimes the Crafting Schools sometimes display the wrong project list. Misclicks are not something I enjoy with these systems, which seem to promote them. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Slightly more complicated than you're making it seem. The outcome of an R&D project is determined the moment you start it as can be seen by the quality color filling in the text of your active projects. Adding a cancel feature and changing nothing else is trivially abuseable as people could simply startand cancel their projects repeatedly until they rolled up the outcome they wanted.

On a slightly more cynical note, the reason the system works the way it does is it subtly makes the feature easier to monetize. With the instant feedback of what the outcome of any project is there's a greater temptation to burn dil on impulse. Moving the outcome determination to the completion of the project disrupts that model.
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    isvarna wrote: »
    Slightly more complicated than you're making it seem. The outcome of an R&D project is determined the moment you start it as can be seen by the quality color filling in the text of your active projects. Adding a cancel feature and changing nothing else is trivially abuseable as people could simply startand cancel their projects repeatedly until they rolled up the outcome they wanted.

On a slightly more cynical note, the reason the system works the way it does is it subtly makes the feature easier to monetize. With the instant feedback of what the outcome of any project is there's a greater temptation to burn dil on impulse. Moving the outcome determination to the completion of the project disrupts that model.

Normally, I would agree with you, but when you cancel the project, you lost all the investment in mats, Dill and components, so if you cancel is the same as waiting for it to finish.

Of course some impulsive crafter could just press finish now, but that's why you build stuff in lower levels and upgrade the item, is more cost effective.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    isvarna wrote: »

Very astute and completely correct.

An example of how trying to monetise everything to the nth degree actually results in far worse gameplay.

I have been playing computer games for 25 years. But in the last 3 or 4 I have had much greater exposure to the f2p model (in this and other titles) and to be totally honest it is KILLING my interest/enjoyment in the entire form of entertainment.

The whole industry is building a rod for its own back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...