test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

another stability update. seriously?

psygn0sispsygn0sis Member Posts: 102 Arc User
We need the game to be running. You need to address the game client stopped responding crashes that are plaguing the game. There are allot of us that can't even run a battle zone with out the client crashing. That was totally unresponsable to leave the game in that state just before the holidays and during .
CLR.png
Post edited by psygn0sis on

Comments

• Options
    ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's still the holiday, did you expect anything less?
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's still the holiday, did you expect anything less?

Yes, I expect them to say "No patch notes", to be honest I expect to see threads after the patch about something we like getting stealth nerfed.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Look at last year there wasn't any updates between x-mas and a week after new years.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118&order=desc&page=3
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's the holidays still here in the USA where Cryptic sits at, so nothing is going to happen until it's over.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    would you rather they decrease server stability
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "General

Stability Update for the Holodeck server"

THATS ALL?!? OMG you would think they could at least say a little more about it, especially with it being a supposedly 4 hour patch. I mean really?
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    "General

Stability Update for the Holodeck server"

THATS ALL?!? OMG you would think they could at least say a little more about it, especially with it being a supposedly 4 hour patch. I mean really?

Honestly, I can't complain. After a few runs of CCA where everyone got stuck in a perpetual rubberband loop, I'll take it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Honestly, I can't complain. After a few runs of CCA where everyone got stuck in a perpetual rubberband loop, I'll take it.

Oh don't misunderstand, I am all for them fixing stuff and taking as long to do it as needed. However, the whole point of patch notes is to inform, and that tiny little snippet really doesn't inform of much. What things did they change to improve the stability? That's what we should be hearing.
    signature.png
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Would you prefer they simply state that Holodeck was going down for 4 hours without saying anything at all?

Because that's the other option.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Would you prefer they simply state that Holodeck was going down for 4 hours without saying anything at all?

In many ways that is what they did.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    In many ways that is what they did.

Nope. They informed us why it was going down. This is considered back-end maintenance and chances are the technical details behind the stability update is beyond a lay person's knowledge, and therefore sufficiently summed up with 'stability updates'. It's also possible the stability updates reveals confidential information related to Cryptic's in-house engine which would be considered a trade secret, and they may be forbidden to reveal crucial details of their coding.

If they actually said it was going down for 4 hours without any information whatsoever, I am willing to bet EC that the forums would be plenty irritated. Then again, it's a rare day when the forums aren't irritated.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dual holidays and must be using some sort home monitoring of the network services. So if something fails the on call guy or gal will see too it or go into building to fix the issues. Yes that game client.exe on PC is hosing the system where it can make your toon run slow. They need to fix the game client after they get back to work in 2015.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    gael4ce3gael4ce3 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Does anyone know when, exactly, is that update supposed to happen?

The note I'm seeing at the top of my ARC screen says "6AM to 10AM", but STO is down for me right now. I was wondering if they meant "PM".

I'd like to know if there's a chance of getting back to the game tonight before I waste anymore time trying. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gael4ce3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when, exactly, is that update supposed to happen?

The note I'm seeing at the top of my ARC screen says "6AM to 10AM", but STO is down for me right now. I was wondering if they meant "PM".

I'd like to know if there's a chance of getting back to the game tonight before I waste anymore time trying. :)

What time zone are you in?
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Once again the Neverwinter forum provides a bit more detail about why it's a 4 hour downtime.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?817961-Neverwinter-Maintenance-12-30-at-6-AM-PST-(Pacific)&p=9769971#post9769971
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Once again the Neverwinter forum provides a bit more detail about why it's a 4 hour downtime.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?817961-Neverwinter-Maintenance-12-30-at-6-AM-PST-(Pacific)&p=9769971#post9769971

Humor me. What parts of this qualifies as 'a bit more detail'?
    Neverwinter Maintenance- 12/30 at 6 AM PST (Pacific)
    Hey everyone,

The holiday schedule is really throwing off our maintenance times this year isn't it? Once again we will be moving the Neverwinter maintenance to Tuesday instead of the normal Thursday maintenance.

We're going to be doing some quarterly updates on a number of systems, making sure that everything keeps moving smoothly. As such, billing will be unavailable for a few hours, and same with logging in to the Arc client. (If you're already logged in to Arc or Neverwinter, then you'll be unaffected.)

Due to the extra system maintenance we will have an extended downtime of up to 4 hours. This time could be extended due to unforeseen circumstances.

Maintenance Start time: 6AM PST, 12/30
    Estimated end time: 10AM PST, 12/30

We'll keep you updated here throughout the entire maintenance.

Thanks,
    Dwight

Because really, after reading his entire post, it is effectively the same thing.

"Stability updates".
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    guesswhomguesswhom Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I just got home from work and can't login as in the launcher will not come up. Is anyone else having this ?
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Wow, I'm jealous that Neverwinter gets a Community Manager that relays information to the players. Must be nice! :rolleyes:

Being that it's a 4 hour downtime, it could be any number of things including hardware upgrades to improve stability.

I really don't think it's a big deal, I just wish they would say something about when the bug with claiming Breen Ships will be addressed. I don't expect them to fix it tomorrow, but just a 'we'll try and fix it by the next patch' would be helpful.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Translation

Cryptic : "General Stability Update for the Holodeck server"
    English : "Stealth Nerfs Inbound"

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i could care less about stability updates. i just want them to fix the breen ship discounts. i want my plesh raider and grett for 40 portraits on my alts dangit.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    First of all, I have no problem with preventive maintenance and can live with a 4-hour outage.
    The only "detail" I see is that they'll be "doing some quarterly updates on a number of systems".

Servers need to be patched, databases re-indexed, and so forth. And frankly the periodic reboot we're all so used to on our desktops sometimes is needed on servers as well.

It's usually much more effective to be proactive with maintenance rather than reactive to a server crash, system failure, or some software bug. The 4 hours some of you are complaining about is a lot better than the possible alternative of an 8 or 12+ hour crash. I think "stability update" is exactly the appropriate name to give it.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Two weeks where the game bugs have been left to bake in further which makes it more likely they'll never be fixed. Come next week, they'll be all too busy dealing with the anniversary stuff to fix bugs. Then they'll be too busy fixing bugs from that and preparing for the next major release to fix bugs. The never ending cycle of Cryptic. Push out more and more buggy content and leave the bugs in since they think players don't know or care about them.

Captain smirk should just copy/paste dwightmc's posts from Neverwinter instead of writing "Server stability updates". Way more informative over there.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Two weeks where the game bugs have been left to bake in further which makes it more likely they'll never be fixed. Come next week, they'll be all too busy dealing with the anniversary stuff to fix bugs. Then they'll be too busy fixing bugs from that and preparing for the next major release to fix bugs. The never ending cycle of Cryptic. Push out more and more buggy content and leave the bugs in since they think players don't know or care about them.

Captain smirk should just copy/paste dwightmc's posts from Neverwinter instead of writing "Server stability updates". Way more informative over there.

Exactly. Want to see how a Winter Event should be run, pop over to Neverwinter.

Two weeks with so much fail, and the excuse now is it's the "holidays", the devs want a family life too. Boo hoo, we all do, only some of us have to work around the "holidays".
    This same sad line of BS gets trotted out every year.

Winter Wonderland... Winter Blunderland more like. Best Event ever.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »

There's a third option but its a sad state of affairs for STO that players have come to expect a little nothing or a lot of nothing.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    There's a third option but its a sad state of affairs for STO that players have come to expect a little nothing or a lot of nothing.

A third option is for people at Cryptic to communicate in detail what is going on, and then see various threads light up in flames as players scramble to race to the bottom of the IQ chart by quoting them out of context and making wide assumptions and accusations due to either our ignorance over what game design actually consists of in the real world (as opposed to our imaginations), or our own cynicism in which every possible change is the cause for pitchforks and torches, simply because we can.

Much like cats following the finger pointing at the food, rather than the food itself.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    uthyeruthyer Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hey the stability issue that needs to be fixed is the Winter Breen Ship issue that most are having you could start by responding to the many complaints, tickets and forum post on the subject. Perhaps you can fix it in timie for Risa so we can then complain about what ever you will torture us with there.
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I really do loathe this attitude that Crypic employees shouldn't have time off work to enjoy the hoidlay season.

And what is even more sickening is that, in quite a few instances, said attitude is coming from people who are OFF WORK/SCHOOl ENJOYING THE HOLIDAY SEASON!

FFS - get over yourselves! Resenting the Devs and co for having/wanting time off work to be with their families over the christmas holidays, because you want them to do stuff to a game you want to play, is the epitome of selfish.

Some of us, as you've pointed out but completely ignored, are upset because WE DON'T GET TO PLAY OFTEN. The way that Cryptic has chosen to 'deal' with this has affected many people who are ALSO supposed to be relaxing and enjoying the 1 or 2 weeks a year that they actually get to themselves.

Nobody is saying that Cryptic Employees shouldn't have holidays. Don't put words in our mouths, unless they're going to turn into bacon. And they're not.

They're saying that if WE approached OUR jobs with the same "Whatever, who cares?" attitude, we'd find ourselves out of work pretty damn smart.

Is that fair? Well, I don't know.

Is it fair that some players feel that Cryptic are taking advantage of the situation to justify not fixing anything? Is it fair that most players know that's how Cryptic actually run things? Is it fair that Cryptic constantly throws paying customers under the bus and keep on getting away with it?

Here's the question that I'd like answered by Cryptic: Is it fair that us players have NO RECOURSE but to complain on the forums here, because Cryptic Support, when it deigns to appear, is persistently less than helpful? Like with the crafting material conversion fiasco, which literally destroyed my mouse? If I were to be relying on Cryptic Support, I'd STILL be waiting - and the toon it happened on would have missed out on the Winter Event. (Or could have done it with a full inventory.)

Why must Cryptic CONSTANTLY give us ONLY two options: 'SUCK IT UP' or 'GO AWAY AND TAKE YOUR MONEY WITH YOU'?

THAT is what you're seeing. Not people complaining about other people having time off. The simple fact of the matter is that this game still needs work, and Cryptic aren't doing that work, and most likely won't when they return. They may fix the Chell Grett issue, but what about my KDf uniform issue that's been around longer than most of my damn characters have? When will they fix THAT? Or the Loadouts, which have more threads about how to work around the bugs than how to use the actual thing, and NOBODY asked for in the first place? How about crafting that's completely and utterly useless for the character you're using it on, thereby undermining that actual point of crafting and turing it into just another dil sink, because we don't have enough of them in the game yet? Hell, the current version of this crafting/dil-thievery WAS the fix!

Your point is a good one: That everyone needs and deserves family time.

But so is ours: Most of these issues MAY NOT EVER GET FIXED, judging by Cryptics past actions (or inactions).

In this context: Holidays are either an excuse, or are *completely irrelevant to what we're saying*.

For instance, I have both OLD KDF uniform issue bugs AND new ones. I don't have that issue on any of my Feds. This is not because it's the god damned Xmas period, it's because Cryptic aren't able to fix the bug. They SHOULD be called out for THAT.

But will they fix anything? Time will tell, but I think we all know the answer.

I do know that this holiday season has made me question exactly how much/little power that Cryptic has over their own product. It's like they don't want money. Perhaps that's not their call. Perhaps PWE are telling THEM 'Suck it up or go home'. I would love to know who to ask, and to have excellent interviewing skills.

I think that we think that Cryptic is a AAA company.

I have decided that if Cryptic are basically indies, then I will be more accepting of what I consider to be 'unforgivable'. I'd love to know where to find this stuff out.

Having said that: If I ever get the chance, I will visit unpleasantness (nothing violent, I assure you) upon the person(s) of those responsible for that crafting conversion Buffoonery. It was a severely unpleasant time for me, and I see no reason to pretend otherwise, nor to ever forgive such raw stupidity and mechanical selfishness (i.e. "It doesn't affect us or most players, so who cares?" said Cryptic, with nearly every single patch/update).
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Honestly I kinda want them to fix the Chel Gret issue... maybe they'll stealth fix it with the server update lol
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    trillscientisttrillscientist Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stability updates = "We run Windows Update and reboot the servers."