test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upgrade system - not broken...??

captmaniccaptmanic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
having used the upgrade system now to upgrade many items (including several to epic) - I can confirm that the current upgrade system is sh*t and faaaar too expensive and thirsty on dilithium.

As a quick example -

note ALL OF THE BELOW ASSUMES YOU HAVE A TIER 14 ITEM ALREADY AT UR:
(if you dont.. which you wont... then you can expect to approximately double the below cost)..

A typical tier 14 item need around 250k of tech points to upgrade, so this is 20 superior tech upgrade, at 300k a piece.

This totals 6 million in tech upgrade (for one run at the upgrade) - I havent even factored in the dilithium cost yet..
HOWEVER - this 1 level of upgrade will give you around 4% rarity chance. Ive upgrade enough items to know that they usually 'ding' to epic.. somewhere around 20-30% on average.. so this is a MINIMUM of 5 runs, so thats currently 30million in tech upgrades (or around $15 of real life cash).

Now for the dilithium... 1075 dilithium per tech upgrade, and so far we have used 100 tech upgrades.. so thats 107k of dilithium (remember this is one item..). At a dillithium refining rate of 8k per day.. thats around 2 weeks of dilithium refining for this one item upgrade... (remember all of this assumes your item STARTS at tier 14 UR.

Now - there are 22 items slot approx on an average ship.. so 2 weeks and 30 million multiplied by 22, gives around 650million cost, and 44 weeks of refining to upgrade your whole ship (assuming you do not change any modules in that time - or, god forbid consider flying another starship...)...

I have just 3 words...

WHAT

A

JOKE

I mean Cryptic.... are you frickin serious or what..????

Anyway - the good news is I have a simple fix - and this is REALLY simple and is at the heart of the problem in my opinion for why the current system is a joke... Simply add a new tech upgrade to the current crafting system that gives not 12,400 tech points (which is WAAAAAY to low), but say around 25-30k tech points. This would be a REALLY simple fix that would effectively solve all of the current issues around this broken upgrade system..

Cryptic - I've said it many times before and ill say it again - SORT IT OUT...!
Post edited by captmanic on

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...the don't do it. Why do you people have such a hard on to get everything NOW. Getting epic items should be dome when you basically have NOTHING ELSE TO DO. Otherwise, be a smart person and use your resources on what nets you better enjoyment of the game. It's not like you NEED bloody epic item anyways.

I dont really need to answer this because you clearly aren't an end-game player.. but I will..

I, for one do it because I PvP in this game, and to PvP in this game (as anyone who has pvp'd in this game will undoubtedly confirm) you need to have the gold standard of gear to even stand half a chance of doing wel..

But even if you do not like to PvP, in order to do well in PvE (and by do well - I mean being able to run most the elite stf's, or produce in excess of 20k dps), you also need superior gear..
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wow...

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the stereotypical PvP player.

It's not your rarity of gears that matter, but how you fly and how your ship is set up.

the top player in the game, if I recall correctly, in terms of dps, flys a tetryon build.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    wow...

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the stereotypical PvP player.

It's not your rarity of gears that matter, but how you fly and how your ship is set up.

the top player in the game, if I recall correctly, in terms of dps, flys a tetryon build.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the sterotypical guy who thinks he knows about PvP because he has played 10-15 games before but actually has never done well at PvP and so does not play it anymore, so does not really understand what it takes to be good in PvP.

Now stop trolling, and please keep this thread on topic. Thanks in advance..
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    BWAHAHAHAA...

Sorry, did you just say you need epic to do 20k DPS?!? BWHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah...people have done DOUBLE that in T1 ships with only VR items. If you need epic to do 20k DPS, I would not boast about being an "endgame" player since your obviously a noob. And you don't even need mk XIV items to do elites...much less epic. If you need epics to do the elite content, your a casual gamer who probably should be sticking with normal and don't even bother with PvP.

Sure - you have really got to grips with the whole intent of my original post, and responded in a helpful way that relates to discussing whether or not the upgrade system is broken.

Thank you so much for your efforts, but please dont troll, and keep this post on topic. Thanks in advance.
    (and I actually said you need superior gear.. not epic)..
  • Options
    mike1027mike1027 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wow some of you people need to grow up its a game. most people will not waste their time upgrading ,,, hence why all the failed pve objectives,,, just play how you want. I couldn't care less of all the gold ooober dooober epic TRIBBLE and others don't 2
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That's a load of TRIBBLE. MK XIV UR is as good as you need for ANYTHING in this game and in fact it's borderline overkill. You DO NOT NEED Gold / Epic gear, at all, period, and it's so freaking expensive to upgrade to that level because it's so pointless. The option merely exists as a dragon to chase for those who have more money and time than sense. Cryptic is saying basically "well this is unnecessary and pointless, and is really only good as bragging fodder for the unhealthily obsessed, but hey if you want to dump stupid amounts of in-game resources or even actual real money into getting them then well here's an option to do that if you really insist on doing so."

You don't need it, you might want it but it's not worth the time effort or money and everyone knows it. If you choose to chase it anyhow, and waste said time effort and money, then you are the one to blame. The rest of us will laugh at you and keep on with the UR Mk 14s that are more than good enough and didn't cost us the price of a used car.

Just so I'm clear - you don't think the upgrade system is broken,.. or needs fixing..?

(just interested, as I know for a fact there is a significant number of StO players who feel that it is)...
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Gold gear is supposed to be hard to obtain by intent..... as such, working as intended.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bawhahahahahahaa,

me? trolling?

I point out that it's skills that matter more than gear and you call me a troll? wow...

Dude, it's skills. I've fought someone using white XI gear and I have purple XII gear. He could do amazing spike damage.

My gear was a lot better, yet he could kill me if I got sloppy. However when we went into PVE matches, I'd stay alive a lot longer than him because my skills are on survival, tanking and aggroing while his was spike and alpha strikes.

is the system broken? Well, it asks for quite a lot of dilithium, a lot more than what's even remotely reasonable.

but is it necessary to have the best gear? no it isn't. I get around the upgrading to the next rarity by crafting a mk II version of the weapons I need. When I get what I want, then I proceed to upgrade and really, upgrading to mk XI from mk II is really cheap.

looking at dps, just have a MK XIII or XIV item, rarity doesn't matter really, and they'll put a hell of a lot more out than a mk XII.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    captmanic wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear - you don't think the upgrade system is broken,.. or needs fixing..?

(just interested, as I know for a fact there is a significant number of StO players who feel that it is)...

No, the upgrade system is not broken. You are upgrading gear to EPIC. Do you think Cryptic is just going to let you get the best gear for peanuts? No. As the poster you are questioning said, it is for you dragon chasers who have nothing better to spend resources on or need something to brag about. Do you really expect to get a Lamborgini for the price of a Prius or a Lexus or even a BMW or Benz? No. If you want that half a million dollar or more weiner extension, you will pay out the butt for it. Same principal applies to EPIC gear. You won't get the EPIC at the VR or UR price or even in that general ballpark. You are going to pay out the nose for it. Which you apparently are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There are very few STFs that cannot be handled with Mk X common gear as long as you know how to build and crew your ship correctly.

As for PVP I was tinkering around with that last week. As an experiment I went into about 20 or so PVP games with a bug ship loaded with MK X common gear. I Ended up in the top 4 for DPS in at least 12 of those games and was in the winning team for all but 5 of them. Take from that what you will.
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Captmanic, you should talk to the bulkheads on your ship, sir. They listen better to what you say than the people here.

The upgrade costs to not even get to epic quality is asinine on many items, particularly when you net a whole 1.8 points in gains on some items from XII to XIV and that the difference from VR to UR seems very anemic to begin with.

You can't describe "red" to the blind.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    pegasuscic wrote: »
    No, the upgrade system is not broken. You are upgrading gear to EPIC. Do you think Cryptic is just going to let you get the best gear for peanuts? No. As the poster you are questioning said, it is for you dragon chasers who have nothing better to spend resources on or need something to brag about. Do you really expect to get a Lamborgini for the price of a Prius or a Lexus or even a BMW or Benz? No. If you want that half a million dollar or more weiner extension, you will pay out the butt for it. Same principal applies to EPIC gear. You won't get the EPIC at the VR or UR price or even in that general ballpark. You are going to pay out the nose for it. Which you apparently are.

I think you are focussing on the 'epic' element too much.. when I first tried to upgrade gear.. my honest first thoughts were how ridiculously expensive and consuming of diliithium the process was.. The only way I can put it is - to me it should not take 10-20 tech upgrades to up one level or 1 run at a quality upgrade (rare --> UR, mk 12 to mk 14, upgrading lobi-store items, omni-directional beams, wide arc turrets, reputation gear.. etc). For an upgrade amount of 200,000 tech points I just feel that there should be a large capacity tech upgrade available.

I think that 12,200 tech upgrade points is far too low and in my opinion is a flaw in their system.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    zero2362 wrote: »
    There are very few STFs that cannot be handled with Mk X common gear as long as you know how to build and crew your ship correctly.

As for PVP I was tinkering around with that last week. As an experiment I went into about 20 or so PVP games with a bug ship loaded with MK X common gear. I Ended up in the top 4 for DPS in at least 12 of those games and was in the winning team for all but 5 of them. Take from that what you will.

Im glad you did well and had a successful run ;-)

However - I take from it that you probably PvP'd during the daytime when the more hardcore PvPers are not on. There is simply no way that in current STO PvP you can regularly be successful using mark 10 gear.. let alone common.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I just made my Phantom fully Epic. Total cost? Around $500. The stuff I can use on other ships too, of course, like the Epic Tachyo, the Epic Zero-Point, the Epic Infusion Circuits, the Epic Exploiters, etc. Any my Epic Bio weps and Borg set, of course.

It's sick. Not necessarily just on Cryptic's end. :P I know. Seriously, though, 358k Upgrade XP for any single item is just too much. It breeds resentment. Got a nice Xmas bonus, is why i did it; but I would appreciate if Geko toned it down a bit.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So...the don't do it. Why do you people have such a hard on to get everything NOW. Getting epic items should be dome when you basically have NOTHING ELSE TO DO. Otherwise, be a smart person and use your resources on what nets you better enjoyment of the game. It's not like you NEED bloody epic item anyways.

Sorry it's the other way around, if you don't have anything else to do why upgrade ... for what, doing nothing with it ?

I agree with you, though ... Upgrading shouldn't be done, it's just pointless ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yep thats the cost of epic. Stuck with a scim at evrrything ur 14 and now doing the long grind for gold. However other games are looking more interesting and rewarding during this long well intended process. I cant imagine running another ship with another loadout .. i dont have the time. Though there is that little sneaky devil pushing me to use cash to buy zen..but well there is a limit to how much i can spend on a single game. .
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I must say I am very happy with my first run of the upgrade system. With the exchange EC economy at an all-time high thanks to the introduction of R&D materials and Salvaged Technology, I can make serious bank to exchange for tech upgrades and shiny new equipment.

My first 3 upgrade items in game were 3 Ultra-Rare Antiproton DHC's (one was at Mk VII, the other two were IV or V I believe). I bought these for a considerably modest price on the exchange, and with the mods and rarity I wanted on them, all I had to do was grind the game, buy tech upgrades and get them to Mk XIV (hoping, oddly enough, that none of them procced to Epic on a 1% chance, lest my loadout look assymetrical). Got it done in less than a month, and I'm taking a similar strat for everything I can (except Rep gear, of course).

Anyways, yeah, I can safely say that Epic quality is an enormous waste of resources for a pathetic improvement in quality - definitely the epitome of "diminishing returns," so I won't be wasting my time on upgrading my perfectly adequate UR gear.

At the current cost of upgrading from UR Mk Anything to Epic Mk XIV quality, the jump would probably have to be bigger than the difference between a common Mk X piece of gear and an UR Mk XII piece of gear, like a modifier that converts 10% of all damage to shield/hull hit points for weapons, or a modifier that doubles exotic damage and drain potency on a deflector array. Otherwise, forget it.

And while we're on the subject, cryptic is doing a pretty lousy job of convincing me to level up R&D for my own personal gain. As it is, simply buying the service on the exchange is better in basically every way.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Cryptic has proven that the DR expansion is about nothing but money. That is why we have such high cost for simply upgrading. It shouldn't cost so much to level up one level. And if something is labeled as Epic quality, then it should be...well...epic quality. However, it isn't.

This is why I am sticking with MK XII UR at best. I am not upgrading anything more than the one TR-116B rifle. I got it to Epic quality, which happened while upgrading it to MK XIV. However, even on it, epic quality was not worth trying for.

They should bring the cost for upgrading down to about 1/4 of what it is to make it worth anything. If they did that, I am sure that a lot more players would consider it. I know it would make me at least consider it.

However, they are still trying to milk the whales. Sadly, they are trying to get every last drop out of them before bringing the cost to a reasonable price. I have seen a lot of friends only log in for the races during the winter event, then log out. And it is because they don't want to work in a game, but play it.

I hope that the developers stop milking soon, and start focusing on the things that will improve the quality of the game. When I started playing last year, I would have given it a 8.5 out of 10. However, now it ranks about a 4 out of 10 for me.

I am trying to find a game that I can play while playing this one. Before, I was only interested in STO.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    razar2380 wrote: »
    They should bring the cost for upgrading down to about 1/4 of what it is to make it worth anything. If they did that, I am sure that a lot more players would consider it. I know it would make me at least consider it.

Sadly, greed has overtaken them. In the previous podcast, I recall Geko justifying the insane upgrade cost, in order 'to keep the lights on.' Lotsa people are buying into that, saying Cryptic is not a charity and all. But they're forgetting that... the lights were already on prior to DR! So, everything since DR has just been surplus profit, and quite unreasonable.

Unreasonable, however, is not an argument you can use on a company. Companies, in that regard, have no conscience: they're doing what they're getting away with. Simple as that. When asked what their core values are, in an EvE Online youtube pardody I once saw, they had the brass answer "We're a company; our core value is to have no values."

That is where we're at, at the moment.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Sadly, greed has overtaken them. In the previous podcast, I recall Geko justifying the insane upgrade cost, in order 'to keep the lights on.' Lotsa people are buying into that, saying Cryptic is not a charity and all. But they're forgetting that... the lights were already on prior to DR! So, everything since DR has just been surplus profit, and quite unreasonable.

Unreasonable, however, is not an argument you can use on a company. Companies, in that regard, have no conscience: they're doing what they're getting away with. Simple as that. When asked what their core values are, in an EvE Online youtube pardody I once saw, they had the brass answer "We're a company; our core value is to have no values."

That is where we're at, at the moment.

Wow - he really had the tenacity to state that..? So he is exactly saying that it is fine to rip off our players because we need it to keep our company alive...?

I think that is disgraceful sentiment and I actually find it infuriating.

Cryptic clearly have some very simple but very key business lessons to learn:
    Number 1) Dont rip off your customers blatantly, and expect them to be happy about it, or stay customers for very long.
    Number 2) Dont ignore or alienate your entire customer base, but instead respond to their comments, especially when they have disputes over their satisfaction.
    Number 3) Dont make a game that is 'play to win' if you want it last for more than 5-10 years, and be a successful MMO.

Im sorry guys, but i really am losing my patience with this joke of a company now...
  • Options
    crb2442crb2442 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's not just upgrading that I think is messed up, I just started playing a couple of months ago and just now got my oldest toon to level 12 on 2 of the R&D categories. I figured up how long it will take me to get to level 20 continuing the way I have been by doing the daily 6k points upgrade. It will be another 244 days to finally finish that 1 category and there are 7 and can only run 4 at a time until I finally get 1 to level 15. I'm looking at a little over a year to finish all 7 categories. That's way too much time, I might not still be playing this game by then and there is the slim possibility the game might not still be around at that time either.