test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

sto review of the year 2014

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
i have to say this year sto has very doom and gloom true there is good reason for it i for one have be more disappointed this year then previous years

Delta rising for me has been the main talking point this year ok we had new levels new ships etc thats all good but with that came the bad relentless grinding ,stf's screwed up etc also not forgetting before dr the new R & D System

for me sto this has been a year of ups and downs mainly downs but there is till hope for 2015

how do you guys think sto has been in 2014 and what are your hopes for sto in 2015
Post edited by r24681012 on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    r24681012 wrote: »
    how do you guys think sto has been in 2014?
    A major disappointment, but then I've been thinking that ever since Season #8 went live. Don't get me wrong, with each Season there have been improvements and some nice, new features added, however the bad always outweighs the good, and Expansion #2 just ruined the whole experience for me.
    what are your hopes for sto in 2015?
    I'm going to have to be really optimistic for this, cause I have little hope left, but;

• Specialization Point Modification
      • to work as account achievements rather than character achievements
    • More Dilithium / Less Grind / Less Upgrade Cost
    • Selectable Upgrade Modifiers
    • Venture Skin for the Nebula, Monarch Skin for the Galaxy Dreadnought
      • they can also fix the windows on all skins attributed to these ships too
    • Andrew Robinson as Garak
    • Jeffrey Combs as Shran/Weyoun (or a descendant of Shran)
    • Suliban Bridge Officers (and character tokens?) for the Republic

The above would be a good start.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Its been an abysmal year and a sad one too boot. Probably the most disturbing is the nature of the game, the level of disdain and lack of communication from Cryptic.

While I'm sure that the game will be around for a while, its golden age has set. And its really sad. Cryptic, instead of choosing the path less traveled, building a breathtaking layered gaming experience - chose the easy road and essentially gutted their engine to replace it with "projects" instead of storyline. "Projects" are unfulfilling, bottomless pits and do not ensure longevity of players attention. Human beings are not pigeons, but the developers have turned the game into some twisted Operant conditioning chamber.

Term in Psychology: "Slot machines and online games are sometimes cited as examples of human devices that use sophisticated operant schedules of reinforcement to reward repetitive actions." They should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they sleep well at night, when they realized that they are setting-up the next generation of gamblers. If I had a child, they would be banned from playing this game.

I remember when there was fellowship between the developers and the community. Community sponsored events, blogs, Spotlights, etc.

Now there's nothing but what the PW propaganda machine puts out.

I am frustrated that the reputations + crafting + specializations have resulting in a grindy system when EVERYTHING worth having now has to be paid in some kind to grind, if not outright RL money.

Not at all what I expected from the game. Also, given the fact that I have been asked to upgrade old content for like the 4-5 time, what says that all this is going to even be relevant in a short while and I have to forked out more just to upgrade again.

Basically had to read between the lines with the "ending of the war" which basically meant the ending of any content for the Klingon and Romulans which as the ugly cousins have been banished from the premises.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "Projects" are unfulfilling, bottomless pits and do not ensure longevity of players attention. Human beings are not pigeons, but the developers have turned the game into some twisted Operant conditioning chamber.

[...]

[...]

Also, given the fact that I have been asked to upgrade old content for like the 4-5 time, what says that all this is going to even be relevant in a short while and I have to forked out more just to upgrade again.

Basically had to read between the lines with the "ending of the war" which basically meant the ending of any content for the Klingon and Romulans which as the ugly cousins have been banished from the premises.

Spot on.

This game is designed to condition young players to the false belief that a 2.5% chance, or X chance, is a 'high chance,' repeatedly reinforcing this notion with 'critical hits' and 'critical chance' as seen from multiple weapon systems firing for long periods of time to succeed in the game. This conditions the unsuspecting player to try out their 'luck' at the lockbox and R&D quality upgrade systems, falling for the gambler's fallacy (false belief that the probability increases with more attempts, even if 1st probability is equal to the nth). Probability of success is constantly reinforced, as from the very rare players who receive a ship on their 4th box who are vocal about it (nevermind the other 98% of those who never received anything worthwhile other than lobi and resources), and the in-game announcements of winners of ships, including lobi ships, out of an unknown but very large player base, perhaps some of which may even be hollow accounts designed for this very purpose. The print for these boxes says 'players will receive EITHER x lobi/resources OR ship grand prize, nothing about the actual probability, and whether the probability is truly even random.

The entire in-game economy is designed for players to be happy about others dumping huge amounts of $ for what's essentially a rental price of the equipment subject to being modified or terminated whenever the game becomes too saturated for profit and so goes offline in favor of perhaps a STO2 which will be more grindy and more expensive given the financial success so far. Buying lobi ships off of the exchange is not exactly 'the right way to do it', since if everyone did that, no one would be buying into the lockbox system at a rate high enough to want to trade or sell ships they don't plan on using, and there'd be no lobi items on the exchange at all.

This is the same reason players are encouraged to grind endlessly in addition to paying: driving up the perceived market value of in-game items, so that dilithium gotten through playing and grinding is used to buy up the existing zen that had to be made available from players buying dilithium with cash. Less zen on the market means higher value of in-game items, even more excessive grinds to acquire zen, which leads to frustration or a stalemate, unless at least some of those frustrated players decide to buy dilithium and lobi, keeping the free-to-play aspect alive for others. Dilithium converts into EC as well, but not the other way around, so this Dilithium/Zen to Cash economy accounts for everything else in the game, including accelerated leveling up, etc.

That's my understanding of the system as set up by PWE.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually, I'm hopeful for the crafting system, since I'll finally reach level 15 in all disciplines between my alts. I'm hopeful that the upgrade system will be refined some, hopeful that Fleet holdings will get an upgrade, hopeful that the Specialization "system" might get fleshed out in some meaningful way, hopeful that there will finally be some reward for grinding to level 60. Hopeful that I can realize crafting level 20 before 2016, and that there is some reward for that (or maybe this is more of a fantasy?). Hopeful that STO survives 2015... :eek:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2014
    Started out very rough with Season 8 "hangover". Dino with a freakin' laser (TM).

Then came grind-a-versery ... Season 9.5 (Crafting grind-a-thon) and now DR the ultimate frontier of grinds. Yeah ... I think I see a pattern too.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm with the op but I'm that pissed off I've not logged in for getting on to 3 weeks. I only come on to the forums now to see if the devs have got rid of the massive grind's.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    I'm with the op but I'm that pissed off I've not logged in for getting on to 3 weeks. I only come on to the forums now to see if the devs have got rid of the massive grind's.

You will be waiting a long time for that one. This is officially "The Year of Hell" for STO ... until next year. :(
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We already had The Year Of Hell...

2014 will be known as The Year Of (Not So) Awesome.

:(
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • isawesomeisntisawesomeisnt Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2014 was the Loadout Fixing adventure zone, then to end the year with glory they launch the Winter Event with the all new Tides of Ice...buged, then unfixed, then made irrelevant... and the Year its not done yet.
  • xxivan73xxxxivan73xx Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i have to say this year sto has very doom and gloom true there is good reason for it i for one have be more disappointed this year then previous years

Delta rising for me has been the main talking point this year ok we had new levels new ships etc thats all good but with that came the bad relentless grinding ,stf's screwed up etc also not forgetting before dr the new R & D System

for me sto this has been a year of ups and downs mainly downs but there is till hope for 2015

how do you guys think sto has been in 2014 and what are your hopes for sto in 2015

sorry to all for meddling if anyone can read my message can agliutarmi saying to a moderator if I unlock more because I can not respond to the Messages sorry thanks to all
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to be really optimistic for this, cause I have little hope left, but;

*clicks on link - says HTTP 404 Not Found*

Yeah, I don't wanna crash on your optimism or anything but....
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    *clicks on link - says HTTP 404 Not Found*

Yeah, I don't wanna crash on your optimism or anything but....
    For some reason, it double-linked. However, the correct location is here. Failing that, just look at my signature (which is actually a more desired setup).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    For some reason, it double-linked. However, the correct location is here. Failing that, just look at my signature (which is actually a more desired setup).

I like it. Of course at this point ANYTHING for T6 rom or klings will do.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited December 2014
    Its been an abysmal year and a sad one too boot. Probably the most disturbing is the nature of the game, the level of disdain and lack of communication from Cryptic.

While I'm sure that the game will be around for a while, its golden age has set. And its really sad. Cryptic, instead of choosing the path less traveled, building a breathtaking layered gaming experience - chose the easy road and essentially gutted their engine to replace it with "projects" instead of storyline. "Projects" are unfulfilling, bottomless pits and do not ensure longevity of players attention. Human beings are not pigeons, but the developers have turned the game into some twisted Operant conditioning chamber.

Term in Psychology: "Slot machines and online games are sometimes cited as examples of human devices that use sophisticated operant schedules of reinforcement to reward repetitive actions." They should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they sleep well at night, when they realized that they are setting-up the next generation of gamblers. If I had a child, they would be banned from playing this game.

I remember when there was fellowship between the developers and the community. Community sponsored events, blogs, Spotlights, etc.

I am frustrated that the reputations + crafting + specializations have resulting in a grindy system when EVERYTHING worth having now has to be paid in some kind to grind, if not outright RL money.

Not at all what I expected from the game. Also, given the fact that I have been asked to upgrade old content for like the 4-5 time, what says that all this is going to even be relevant in a short while and I have to forked out more just to upgrade again.

not a bad assessment

games in general, have been taken over by people who don't really care about games or art or community or entertainment, only money. whoever is calling the shots is very very very short sighted

there are many easy fixes here, but it seems there is _zero_ motivation. fixes that would improve the experience and would draw players and probably increase $$ transactions because people would be happy to spend

quite frankly, it's as if they want to tank the game to dump the lifetime subscribers, and then maybe sell it or start over. or both.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My guess is that at some point next year we're going to get another faction (really a fraction), and it will most likely be the Cardassians. The devs probably saw (but obviously denied) how much more popular LoR was compared to DR, and are likely equating that to: new faction -> more stuff for the players to play -> players come back -> spend money on new things.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • geckoisalizardgeckoisalizard Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll be surprised if STO manages to last through 2015
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think the majority of us players do love this game,and we do whine as some would say, because we don't like bugs, rubberbanding and game disconnections due to server not responding.
    Apart from all that,the game has been great,its only DR that was a disaster,and was far too small.
    Its been said that many of us have levelled up far too fast.
    Well what does cryptic/pwe expect? that we go along like snails?
    The reason many have levelled up quickly is because of game enjoyment,that meaning that many play for long hours. I am one of those.
    If cryptic think that we will only play an hour every 1 or 2 days,then they are nieve.
    They should be grateful that this game has hard core trekky fans.
    However, cryptic nerfing right left and centre is no fun at all for the players, and cryptic need to understand, that theres only so much we can take. More fun and less grind is needed here, to keep players in this game. Stop the nerfing all the time,players are getting TRIBBLE off with it.
    New content is badly needed soon,and maybe old content revamped, with bigger better more valueable rewards, no rubbish stuff as we are currently getting.
    How about opening up the whole galaxy, and allow us to explore and find new planets,moons and asteroids etc. Using borg apertures etc(transwarp gates) as a means of getting around everywhere.
    Startrek music is needed in this game,to make it more dramatic.
    Reliant attacks and stealing the enterprise are 2 such areas of music.
    The game needs alot more regular maintenance, to keep bugs down and fewer.
    Not a once a week maintenance bug patch. The same thing needs to be done regards the servers,to stop these server not responding problems that occur worldwide.
    edited December 2014
    I'll be surprised if STO manages to last through 2015

It'll definitely make it to 2018. This game has virtually no competition in the niche it's carved out for itself. (super casual, space ship combat game, also the IP caries weight to draw players in)
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    I like it. Of course at this point ANYTHING for T6 rom or klings will do.

3 more of anything to fill the traits. A science ship would be nice but even a bop could do that... it used to be the only way to do that. But... no T6 bops either.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It'll definitely make it to 2018. This game has virtually no competition in the niche it's carved out for itself. (super casual, space ship combat game, also the IP caries weight to draw players in)

I would have and did say this up until November.

Now I say it really depends on how profitable PWE demands the game be. If they accept a trickle then, sure, it'll make it for a good while. But if they demand exponential profits (as corporations do these days) I worry about making it to summer. We will make it to the anniversary. Beyond that I am cautiously pessimistic.

I personally had tremendous fun here in 2014. Had a blast on Risa and in Q's. I very much enjoyed the Delta storyline.

I don't care about the slow spec points - though since most people do I support an easing on this.

My one desire is to end the failqueues (I continue to try to coin the phrase). I am not optimistic about this. I expect to have my answer on this sometime in March - as well as an indication of whether we can make it through the summer with hope for the future.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Load up Arc. Look at the number of MMOs there. Why make one great game when you can make a dozen mediocre ones then backshelf them like Champions and enjoy the trickle.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I actually thought this year had been phenomenal... until Delta Rising.

In my eyes, the high point for it was the release of Surface Tensions. it was stellar, plot advancing storytelling that had me engrossed and back caring what happened in STO.

Too bad they couldn't keep that up. DR storytelling was relatively good, but it kept being hobbled by all the bad gameplay-consideration issues that had been introduced with the expansion.
    edited December 2014
    I would have and did say this up until November.

Now I say it really depends on how profitable PWE demands the game be. If they accept a trickle then, sure, it'll make it for a good while. But if they demand exponential profits (as corporations do these days) I worry about making it to summer. We will make it to the anniversary. Beyond that I am cautiously pessimistic.

I personally had tremendous fun here in 2014. Had a blast on Risa and in Q's. I very much enjoyed the Delta storyline.

I don't care about the slow spec points - though since most people do I support an easing on this.

My one desire is to end the failqueues (I continue to try to coin the phrase). I am not optimistic about this. I expect to have my answer on this sometime in March - as well as an indication of whether we can make it through the summer with hope for the future.

I'll only believe the game is in it's final months when they release a Borg lockbox. If they ever release an Iconian lockbox, then I'll believe the game is in it's final weeks.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As long as there are people that will lap up anything with Star Trek in the name, no matter how bad it is, then this will go on, and that's not necessarily a bad thing because it gives it a chance of being turned around, a chance to fix the bugs, fix the grind and fix the monetization scheme in a way that people actually enjoy spending money because they feel it's for something worthwhile. But if they carry on like they are doing, well, the game has fans even now, are there enough of them to carry it along, who can say?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll only believe the game is in it's final months when they release a Borg lockbox.

Coming soon. Cryptic put the Borg Cooperative in DR to get around the "no Borg ships" edict. You'll be seeing players flying Co-Op probes or spheres within 6 months.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Playable Klingons, Playable Romulans, and soon enough playable...

There's no shortage of cool options for new aligned mini-factions:

- The Cooperative [Borg]
    - The Cardassians
    - The Dominion (although to be honest, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel)

As for technical enhancements:

- new UI would go leaps and bounds in improving the game
    - better fleet management tools
    - revised doffing structure, ui, available doffs
    - revised chat infrastructure
    - I still hold out for a next-generation engine. The drawback, STO players like legacy computers

As for Expansions:

- Series-based Episode arcs - redlo classic episodes, with multiple alternate endings
    - True PvP System, with public rankings etc. Give it a reason to exist.
    - True Game Balance - stop the DPS slide (ok, Ok, I'm dreaming here).
    - Remaster all STF's. Add a new, random set of events for each.

As for the game itself: MAKE IT FUN AGAIN.

'Cause as it stands now - I spend more time here discussing the shameful mess DR was launched as, than actually playing the game.

But who knows what's coming? D'Angelo has to deliver consecutive quarters of financial growth. If DR was their biggest success to date, what have they got left to entice money from my wallet?
  • cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh cmon we had a great 2014, STO did not sadly, but then again we got new features(mostly buged) like the new probation system that alow us spend money and get locked items for our security... but cheer up, it could have been worse, much worse.

Looking for a good thread?
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It was looking good until DR. Before DR, people had end-game activity to keep them occupied, even though it was thin. Gear and reputation bonuses were achievable by anyone with just a couple of month's playtime. There was consistent amounts of activity for things like NWS, STFs, PVP, and so forth. It wasn't great but it was a solid basis to build on. With DR, Cryptic threw all that away in order to nakedly exploit the Star Trek fanbase. Higher difficulties, slower progression, fewer rewards, more pay-to-play options, and by the way we are obsoleting all your existing ships for look-alikes that cost 700 zen and you will need to up your DPS game at the cost of several million dilithium to compete at the new levels. Rather than go along with it the playerbase has been opting out, and now the activity levels are in the toilet.

I don't doubt the game will survive (if they keep CO running they will keep STO running), but what remains is nothing more than a facebook/browser game. Greed killed this game.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It was looking good until DR. Before DR, people had end-game activity to keep them occupied, even though it was thin. Gear and reputation bonuses were achievable by anyone with just a couple of month's playtime. There was consistent amounts of activity for things like NWS, STFs, PVP, and so forth. It wasn't great but it was a solid basis to build on. With DR, Cryptic threw all that away in order to nakedly exploit the Star Trek fanbase. Higher difficulties, slower progression, fewer rewards, more pay-to-play options, and by the way we are obsoleting all your existing ships for look-alikes that cost 700 zen and you will need to up your DPS game at the cost of several million dilithium to compete at the new levels. Rather than go along with it the playerbase has been opting out, and now the activity levels are in the toilet.

I don't doubt the game will survive (if they keep CO running they will keep STO running), but what remains is nothing more than a facebook/browser game. Greed killed this game.

Greed was part of it .
    The lack of a Kirk / Spock mental dynamic at the top was the other .

Gecko & D'Angelo on the top are like a Vulcan and a Borg drone trying to create "fun" .
    And in their mind's , I'm sure that allying with body snatchers totally one upped the fighting with organ snatchers that Janeway did ... .

"...fun shall now commence ...! "
    -- 7 of 9
  • lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Did season 9 come out this year? Because that was fantastic, especially the Feature Ep. Also, enjoyed the Summer and Winter Events. This was a great year for the Foundry, with lots of new assets to work with.
    However, this year also had its setbacks. 9.5's R&D and DOFF "improvements" were a joke, and Delta Rising's story arc was spoiled by grindy patrol missions we were forced to play and the ridiculous amount of XP that was required to progress in the storyline.