test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE broke STO

2»

Comments

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    PvP was the best part, PvE requir no talent at all and cryptic encourage to be selfish in this game witch is not fun in a MMO

Fed/cloak overide safetys SS3

Seems to me PvP requires no skill or talent and hasnt required any from the launch of LOR DR has just made it even more comical than it was

Just a Fat Wallet FTW

I mean seriously............
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PvP has NEVER been a focus of this game and probably never will. PvP was a minor thing even at launch and that has not really changed. The entire point of the Klingon faction was a PvP faction and that just did not work out. They even tried to give Klingons unique ship things like carriers to encourage people to play them and instead people demanded carriers on the Federation side.

The player base has spoken and like most MMOs the PvP in STO is just never going to work. I remember when Sony did PvP stuff in Everquest 1 and 2. That all pretty much died over the years since even Sony revealed that not even 1% of people did PvP.

STO is not any different. No matter what PvP people want to think they represent a tiny tiny fraction of the player base and that won't change. If you really want to PvP you will have to find another game. Cryptic can try as hard as they want force people to do PvP and other games have tried to do that by putting PvE stuff in PvP areas. Usually this ends up in the death of the MMO that tries it.
    edited December 2014
    It may have felt vibrant but I remember at the time that Sony talked about how those PvP servers where costing them more in time and money than it was worth compared to the PvE servers.
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    See what they broke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGtVMJtDbSs 1v1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb8eS83Yelc 1v1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbEAhppnYU 5v5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX6AjGS_X4 5v5

I did played more then 500day in game time, the game was kind of the best MMO and i had great time. But now when you see the PvP comunoty , you know the game have been destroyed !!!

I support the idea of a roll back to befor delta rising and the new upgrade system

PvP has always been the ugly red-haired stepchild of cryptic since launch....dont think they CARE any less these days.
    edited December 2014
    It is not just cryptic though. PvP is normally a tiny part of any of the major MMOs. The ones that made PvP a primary focus mostly all failed with the most notable exception being EVE.

Many new MMOs still launch with a PvP focus but then end up dieing. I think that is because it means they don't have to do as much content work since the content is other players.

STO would probably be helped quite a lot if the factions would just vanish now. Allow the federation and klingon sides to merge officially (shared fleets, klingons on earth etc). I would also like to see missions that you could do to unlock the other sides ships. So you would have a human faction for klingons to do and a klingon faction for federation to do and that would allow you to buy more ships. It would also open up all the specific story missions for a side.

Heck I would like to get even farther and add in a reincarnation type mechanic to this game like DDO has. We could just say the whole thing is because of Q and leave it at that. The point is that every time you are reborn you would gain some small permanent bonus based on your career you just had. You would also keep access to your profession specific abilities.

At least then more content would be used and you would find people spread out across the level range more.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Cryptic & PWE told the PvP crowd to b/?d o*^r a long time ago. :P Think you're like 3yrs too late on that magic bus ride :D I was a huge PvP fiend until the ushering of PWE business model, haven't touched it since.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    edited December 2014
    The point is that even at launch PvP sucked hard!. I remember how the battles went since I did it some early on. You had a huge fed ball and a bunch of cloaked klingons. Since you newer knew where the klingons would come from you tended to stay near each other so you could support each other. Klingons would decloak, maybe get someone and then get blaster into oblivion but the rest of the ships sitting there.

Sometimes the battles would last a very long time since the klingons would just say cloaked and the feds would normally not bring anything to find them.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2014
    PvP was actually possible (even after LOR) with enough time and patience (and spending some dough). The build was actually more important and only a few things like the Valdore console were strictly needed. Of course P2W was all over the place and there were many OP items and little balance.

DR completely destroyed what little competitiveness and creativity was possible though. Haven't PvPed since (barely play now at all). Most folks (in game) I know also stopped. I guess if that was their objective they succeeded brilliantly.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited December 2014
    Before F2P though there was no pay to win. You could do pretty balanced PvP and klingons and federation seemed to win about equally often. Tanking was also pretty important since it made it far easier to capture points and we did not have the alpha strike stuff we have now.

However even with all of that said PvP was still pretty much dead.
  • isawesomeisntisawesomeisnt Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PWE or Cryptic, i mean, the decisions that got the game in our state are not all fault at PWE, by example, the loadout bug infixable for so loong was not something to in PWE fault, the economic model of gambling in lock boxes and things like that.