test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I guess reality show producers are running out of ideas...

lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Ten Forward
First I see a show where people are building fish tanks. Next, I see a show where this guy is building tree houses. Now I see on TV an australian or british guy building swimming pools!!!

So what's next? A reality show about a Ferengi "shipwright" who builds custom ships for his clients???
*sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
Post edited by lonnehart on

Comments

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At least they'll never make a show about people that go around buying storage units. Now that would be stupid.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Or a show about people running a pawn shop...

If the producers had any ideas, they wouldn't be doing "reality" shows in the first place.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2014
    I'm surprised there is not one about I.T. departments. I've worked several on contract, and I can tell stories about the crazy things that happen, both in the "dungeon" and at the users' desks. Throw in a trade show now and then to spice things up.

But they'll probably come out with a show about floor care workers first. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lonnehart wrote: »
    First I see a show where people are building fish tanks. Next, I see a show where this guy is building tree houses. Now I see on TV an australian or british guy building swimming pools!!!

So what's next? A reality show about a Ferengi "shipwright" who builds custom ships for his clients???

My favorite reality show ever was The Crocodile Hunter...we need another Steve Irwin.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The only reality type show I watch is Roadkill. If you like cars, it is so worth a watch.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think humanity hit a brick wall, when "The Learning Channel" aired "Here comes Honey BooBoo." My faith was somewhat restored when it was cancelled.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The only "idea" behind 99% of reality tv is "Put these idiots on camera and air the stupidest sh*t they do."
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I think humanity hit a brick wall, when "The Learning Channel" aired "Here comes Honey BooBoo." My faith was somewhat restored when it was cancelled.
    That means your faith in humanity managed to weather Jersey Shore. Mine did not.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Makes me wonder if cooking shows can be considered "reality" shows... including that one show the Klingons would find disgusting because it involves cooks paying money to sabotage each other...

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At least there's Face Off. Never thought I'd watch a reality competition show, but they make some cool stuff on there.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Operation Repo had 286 episodes depicts the world of car repossession with a team that portrays fictionalized tales, but I bet most had enjoyed watching a series of other getting their vehicles, ships an etc repo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »

Here, in the UK, it's "I'm a Celebrity - get me out of here".
    I don't watch it, but it is, sadly, advertised frequently enough that it's difficult to NOT be privy to some of it. The celebrities are C-list nobodies and the 'entertainment' is said celebs being 'forced' to stupid TRIBBLE - for example, eat bugs in a supposed 'wilderness' setting.

It is pure, undiluted, garbage.

Amen brother! I hate and detest ALL reality TV because its so obviously "Scripted" reality!

Big brother, I am celeb, etc.. I have a zero tolerance for.

Unfortunately they exist because of the never ending list of C-List celebrities looking for that magical way to reboot their careers.

I've noticed that we have 2 new contenders in the UK (On Channel 5):

"Honey I bought the house" and "Who repairs wins"....... someone please shoot me now! :rolleyes:

And I hate soaps to. Dont get me started on "Eastenders" !! :P
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Reality TV has ALWAYS been 'lowest common denominator' TRIBBLE. Cheap to produce, no thought process involved in it's creation, aimed at couch potatoes who have NO thought process and seem to actually LIKE being told what they should watch.

Here, in the UK, it's "I'm a Celebrity - get me out of here".
    I don't watch it, but it is, sadly, advertised frequently enough that it's difficult to NOT be privy to some of it. The celebrities are C-list nobodies and the 'entertainment' is said celebs being 'forced' to stupid TRIBBLE - for example, eat bugs in a supposed 'wilderness' setting.

It is pure, undiluted, garbage.

And don't even get me started on Soap Operas!

Saying that, with the exception of Dr Who recently, there has been absolutely NOTHING on TV that I actually want to watch. Soaps? Reality TV? No thanks.

No matter how bad some people think STO has gotten since Delta Rising, it is a MILLION times more entertaining than watching TV at the moment.

That particular show exists in other countries too, Germany for example. Instead of reviving their long forgotten careers, those c-ce
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's the "World's Dumbest (idiots of the week)" where they show clips of people doing stupid things and have such wonderful D list "celebrities" such as the guy who played Willis on Different Strokes and Tonya Harding making "witty" commentary.

Seriously. Tonya Harding. Who's only claim to fame is taking a tire iron to Nancy Kerrigan's shin to try to win an ice skating competition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Okay, I guess we can feel a little better about American TV. I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here! didn't even finish an entire season here.

My wife's semi-addicted to a show on HGTV called Love It or List It, in which a family (usually in Canada, as that's where the production company is based) whose current house is inadequate to their needs gets the services of an interior designer and a real-estate agent; they set a budget for renovation to their existing home, and another for purchase of a new one, then the interior designer sets about fixing up the old place (often uncovering structural defects in the process) while the real-estate agent tries to find a house in their price that suits their needs better. In the end, they either list the current house for sale and buy the new one, or keep the old (now-renovated) one.

For myself, I do watch two shows that could be considered "reality-based" - Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch. Mythbusters has the nice touch of presenting something very like the scientific method to people who are barely aware such a thing exists, and Deadliest Catch has the factor that no matter how the footage is edited, no production crew can make crab get into (or out of) the pot. Also, most of the drama on Deadliest Catch is based around whether the boats will be caught in bad weather, Arctic ice, or poor fishing, and whether any of the crew of the boats will manage to get themselves mangled or killed this season.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The idea which freaks me out the most? Toddlers and Tiaras... That is just WRONG.

"Hey, pedophiles, here's a show just for you!"

:mad:

Thank God that Here Comes Honey BooBoo has been cancelled because of her scummy mom's antics. That show was just a trainwreck glamorizing redneck stupidity, but, at least the karma fairy took care of that :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If anything, the soaps are actually slightly worse in my opinion. Let's face it, it's all been done before, more times than anyone can count.

Character A has an affair with character B
    Character C gets cancer.
    Character D kills someone and tries to get away with it.
    Character E is TRIBBLE (and they still like to pretend that they're doing something new with this).
    Someone gets married/tires to get married blah blah

And failing that, there is the good old, predictable, 'the lie revealed' that the unimaginative, washed-up idiots who write such drivel love so very much. And if they're REALLY desperate, set fire to something.

But the drop-dead worst thing about them is how dragged-out and tedious they make the storylines. They seem to have lost the ability to bring anything to a close!

It's boring, VERY predictable, badly acted rubbish.
    I might have to write a fic using that as the plot :cool:
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The idea which freaks me out the most? Toddlers and Tiaras... That is just WRONG.

"Hey, pedophiles, here's a show just for you!"

:mad:

Thank God that Here Comes Honey BooBoo has been cancelled because of her scummy mom's antics. That show was just a trainwreck glamorizing redneck stupidity, but, at least the karma fairy took care of that :cool:

I think real Southerners were likely embarrassed by that show. On top of what else was blatantly wrong with it, stereotyping an entire region using those sad excuses for parents was yet another of its crimes.

As for reality TV I have actually liked, I sometimes enjoy Shark Tank because when I watch with family it actually gets us thinking and discussing logically about the various business models. I also enjoyed Face Off on SyFy because I was actually learning something about how the alien looks I so enjoy get put together.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Even PBS tried one recently, Market Warriors, about guys who buy and sell antiques. I watched one episode because it was PBS, but just as I feared it's just another gimmicky "follow a business around" reality show.

Reality shows are like the PWE of television. They get profitable by spending as little as possible on producing engaging content.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I think real Southerners were likely embarrassed by that show. On top of what else was blatantly wrong with it, stereotyping an entire region using those sad excuses for parents was yet another of its crimes.

As for reality TV I have actually liked, I sometimes enjoy Shark Tank because when I watch with family it actually gets us thinking and discussing logically about the various business models. I also enjoyed Face Off on SyFy because I was actually learning something about how the alien looks I so enjoy get put together.

I haven't seen either of those two shows (never actually watched HCHBB by choice either), but yeah, that was just train-wreck TV at the expense of WhiteTrash... The mom was obviously just a scuzzy golddigger/sack chaser, so karma gave her her comeuppance nice and quick :cool:
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They haven't run out of the reality tv ideas just yet. They made Naked and Scared. Now they can do sequels to every single one of them butt naked. :-P
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If anything, the soaps are actually slightly worse in my opinion. Let's face it, it's all been done before, more times than anyone can count.

Character C gets cancer.
    Character E is TRIBBLE (and they still like to pretend that they're doing something new with this).

And failing that, there is the good old, predictable, 'the lie revealed' that the unimaginative, washed-up idiots who write such drivel love so very much. And if they're REALLY desperate, set fire to something.

But the drop-dead worst thing about them is how dragged-out and tedious they make the storylines. They seem to have lost the ability to bring anything to a close!

You forgot the all time greatest "Original series Dallas" plot line/plot vehicle....

Character B (who was supposedly dead) emerges from the shower making all previous plot lines part of a bad dream of character A, thus resetting the story....

I still cant believe how that was used lol :rolleyes:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What we need, is a 'follow around' show on Thom Beers... :cool:
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »

I find the irony thick that such a show is tied to a station known as "The Learning Channel".

This real Southerner agrees. Sadly, we are stereotyped as a region often, and in several ways (some admittedly both good and funny). Jeff Foxworthy had the gist of it: smart, educated engineer, but when his accent is heard, people start subtracting IQ points.

nyxadrill wrote: »
    You forgot the all time greatest "Original series Dallas" plot line/plot vehicle....

Character B (who was supposedly dead) emerges from the shower making all previous plot lines part of a bad dream of character A, thus resetting the story....

I still cant believe how that was used lol :rolleyes:

And reused, brilliantly, (minus the shower) as the ending to the series Newhart.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    They haven't run out of the reality tv ideas just yet. They made Naked and Scared. Now they can do sequels to every single one of them butt naked. :-P

not a reality series, but what if: naked star trek, survival edition?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At least there's Face Off. Never thought I'd watch a reality competition show, but they make some cool stuff on there.
    LOVE IT! It great just to watch because of the artistry involved. Many of the competitors are people with way more skill than I could ever even hope to have.
    jonsills wrote: »
    For myself, I do watch two shows that could be considered "reality-based" - Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch. Mythbusters has the nice touch of presenting something very like the scientific method to people who are barely aware such a thing exists, and Deadliest Catch has the factor that no matter how the footage is edited, no production crew can make crab get into (or out of) the pot. Also, most of the drama on Deadliest Catch is based around whether the boats will be caught in bad weather, Arctic ice, or poor fishing, and whether any of the crew of the boats will manage to get themselves mangled or killed this season.
    Yeah it's called "Deadly" for a reason. They've caught some great footage on that show just by being there. Such as the episode where they showed what happens when a fishing boat gets hit with a rogue wave. That was scary.

One show I started on relatively recently is "Dude you're screwed!" It is ostensibly competition based, but there's no actual prize. It does do an interesting job of presenting survival situations that isn't boring.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Does anybody else think of this when the topic of (most) reality TV comes up?

http://youtu.be/fooeHIC3ENY

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Does anybody else think of this when the topic of (most) reality TV comes up?

http://youtu.be/fooeHIC3ENY

Oh, yeah! I need to get that movie one day!
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Great... I can see it now... a Star Trek based "reality show" centered on a Ferengi merchant and his adventures throughout the universe, buying and selling stuff (and the difficulties of the business)...

Might sell well with the other races of Star Trek, but his fellow Ferengi would be upset (the show could possibly reveal some of their business secrets)...

• Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The producers of amazingly successful shows like" A sack of rice falls over in China" and "Spinning Laundry" present their next big TV event !

"Watching paint dry" will redefine television in a never before seen way ! The best reality show ever and test viewers love it ! :D
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Character C gets cancer.

You left out the part character B gets amnesia and can't figure out why A and C are mad at him and why D's not around.

Yes, my grandmother watched a lot of that dreck when I was growing up.
    hawku001x wrote: »
    not a reality series, but what if: naked star trek, survival edition?
    I'd watch that if Jeri Ryan was in it. And/or Jolene Blalock.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon