test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bug Hunt Trouble?

reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
So I see some people obnoxiously boasting how 'easy' this mission is, but I'm having trouble with it, and unfortunately as the only source of Ancient Power Cells there's really no other option. So whats the trick to make it so no-effort?

Targeting is my first problem. Targets pop in from all over the place at all sorts of ranges and with all sorts of debris around to obscure things so I'm never entirely sure what I'm shooting at, let alone shooting at the correct thing. Too many targets to tab through them all, and I'm too bad a shot to use shooter mode, so what can I do other than memorize the mission spawns (by which point I should be done farming it, and is kinda cheating anyways)?

Ravagers are my second problem. The characters I'm running this with, one is a sci using the old Medic kit and the Omega-11 ground set, and the other is an Eng using the Rom Embassy Fabrication kit and the Jem'Hadar-11 set. Offensively these things regenerate faster than I can damage them except when I get mortar hits, so whats the trick to slaughtering them? And defensively I obviously have no protection against Toxic damage, but I'm not going to be forced to spend money on the Undine ground set just for a single mission that I don't even like (just on principle), and if its as easy as people are saying I shouldn't need any fancy gear anyways.

I admit, ground isn't my thing and I'd avoid it if I could, but if its as easy as people say, then it should just be a couple of tricks to turn it into the cakewalk, so what am I missing?

Edit:
D'oh, wrong subforum.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Equip a pulsewave - you'll hit a number of bugs even if firing randomly. If you're an engineer then beam in turrets, mortars and medical generators. Cover shields are helpful as a last resort. I find fuse armour is also quite helpful against the ravagers.

Have you got the Fluidic Antigens trait from Surface Tension? It's free and it gives you a toxic resist.

It gets easier the more you play it, but runs do vary in difficulty. Last but one mission I died 5 times, the most recent one not at all. Same level but no comparison in how hard they actually were.
  • Options
    freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Targeting is my first problem. Targets pop in from all over the place at all sorts of ranges and with all sorts of debris around to obscure things so I'm never entirely sure what I'm shooting at, let alone shooting at the correct thing. Too many targets to tab through them all, and I'm too bad a shot to use shooter mode, so what can I do other than memorize the mission spawns (by which point I should be done farming it, and is kinda cheating anyways)?

As already mentioned, use a pulswave rifle. Use a wide range of aoe abilities. Your sci should use the physicist kit if he has it or you could simply turn that old stuff in for the upgraded version that uses customizable modules (guess you didn't because why else would you mention what kit you use). As an eng you can use mines and bombs. Medical generators and other support station are also always greatly appreciated.

Ravagers are my second problem. The characters I'm running this with, one is a sci using the old Medic kit and the Omega-11 ground set, and the other is an Eng using the Rom Embassy Fabrication kit and the Jem'Hadar-11 set. Offensively these things regenerate faster than I can damage them except when I get mortar hits, so whats the trick to slaughtering them? And defensively I obviously have no protection against Toxic damage, but I'm not going to be forced to spend money on the Undine ground set just for a single mission that I don't even like (just on principle), and if its as easy as people are saying I shouldn't need any fancy gear anyways.

Thing is the ravagers don't really constantly regenerate. They sometimes go into some kind of cocoon stage and only while in that stage will they rapidly regenerate. You basically have to defeat them twice to actually kill them, but they aren't the biggest problem you face there, imo. What you really need to look out for are the flying enemies. They deal upwards of 150 toxic damage to you, per tick (multiple of those).
    If you've got some kind of enviromental suit lying around i'd use that and (as already mentioned), there's the fluidic antigens trait and i believe "Peak Health" also increases those resists.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anything that gives you toxic resist is your freind in this PvE

I've found switching over to the Exo Armor has been an improvement, and as mentioned above using the Peak Health trait will help you out enormously
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tox resist traits, tox resist armor, a pulsewave or other weapon with at least one AoE fire mode.

If you're an engineer, chroniton mines are your friend. and orbital strike early and often, it's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,175 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    SECURITY! Crash got out again! :D

Anyways... the full 4 piece Undine Counter Command set might help. I've also had no problem using a mk XII MACO set. The CC 4 piece bonus gives a change to increase your Tox resist, and it actually comes with an inate tox resist. The MACO set's shield capacitor is always nice.

But yes... AoE is your friend. Bug Hunt is a Target Rich environment. Split Beams, Pulsewaves, and maybe even autorifles will be effective. Same with any AoE powers.

The Ravagers do have a nasty ability to heal, but as far as I know they can only do it once. Concentrate fire when you can to take them down faster. Debuff if you can to make them more vulnerable, or buff yourself. Some Ravagers seem to prefer acting as a form of artillery, so AoE abilities like Exothermic Induction Field or Orbital Strike would be effective on them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nuk Rep system should have gave you a free EV suite XII one of those will protect you. I am just using a simple hand pistol, nothing fancy. I had no problem taking out the queen bug at the end.

I don't know how your have your Admiral setup but need to focus on that to survive the bug hut. So many go down hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First rule for Bug Hunt: Stay together as much as possible for mutual support.

I've only PUGed Bug Hunt, but I've yet to be in a group that completed the final Optional in Adv or Elite. Every time I was in a group that was trying to work the final optional, it wasn't working out and puts the mission at risk of total failure. The only way you can totally fail Bug Hunt is not killing the Spawn Mother within the timer.

For PUGs, because of that, it's simpler, easier, to focus on killing the Spawnmother immediately and TRIBBLE the optional (Adv or Elite). Better to get the guarantee of good marks than the possibility of failing in an attempt to get even more marks, yet in the end, getting **** for not killing the Spawnmother in time by trying to get too cute.

From a purely defensive POV:

What I felt were doing the most against players was Physical and Toxic based attacks. Spec for that and you'll do better.

Some races like Joined Trill have inherent Toxic Resists, for example.

Full 8472 Ground Set is well rounded for Bug Hunt. It has respectable Physical & Toxic Resists.

The Undine Biotech Armor from the Lobi Store is insanely terrific in Physical & Toxic Resists.

While EV suits provide some Toxic Resists, they have terrible Physical Resists.

Also, players need to look at ways in providing much needed help to teammates. The varying captain classes have tons of ways to do this.

TAC: Overwatch is outstanding when the heat turns up. Go in the middle of everyone and pop Overwatch to bring lots of resists to nearby allies. TAC can do a number in Bug Hunt. Melee Kit styled TAC captains will have a blast, esp if you have Biotech Siphon Module. Deadly Intent and Motivation are fun, team oriented modules here.

SCI: Whatever heals you can. Medical Vanguard helps in granting very short spike resists on whoever you heal. Biofilter Sweep is a good team Toxic Cleanse as well as Resist source. Exothermic Induction Field, Hyperonic Radiation are great to have. Sonic Pulse is outstanding when you're crowded.

ENG: Of all the classes I've played for Bug Hunt Adv or Elite, Engineers can have an absolute FIELD DAY in Bug Hunt. It's a joy ride! Simply because they have some very nasty tools.

- Cover Shield with Quartermaster DOFF to grant Resists to all nearby allies. This is a very good team boost and something I tell the team before we start.

- Different mines, not just Chronitons. While one is on CD, the other will soon be off to lay down another minefield. Ideal where you intend to draw a line in the sand and say "here and no further." A crucial, small detail is that Chroniton Mines count as "Mechanic" while the other 2 special mine types are "Fabrication" type of modules. This is important in being able to cram in damaging ENG capabilities within the confines of a kit.

- Transphasic Bomb - If I want to go more offensive, esp for the Spawnmother, Transphasic Bomb is all LOLs.

- Shield / Medical Gens to help out but also as a distraction. The NPCs tend to make a beeline for these Generators, so you'll have time work the NPCs as they try to take down your Generators. DOFF to beam in the opposite kind of Generator when you call one in is ideal.

- Turrets: Flamethrower Turrets are the most valuable due to the Zerg-like nature of the NPCs in Bug Hunt. Mortars take too long to impact an area. Regular Turrets are poor in close range. DOFF to beam in additional turrets are terrific.

- Force Field Dome for terrific resists. DOFF it give it a chance to push out NPCs outside the dome. Terrific tool to give breathing room.

Engineers have it so good in Bug Hunt. The best blend I've found for my ENG in Bug Hunt is with a Fabrication heavy Kit such as from Rom Embasssy and the Fleet Spire:
    Chroniton Mines (Mechanic)
    Flash Bombs (Fabrication) or Active Immunity Mine Field (Fabrication)
    Force Field Dome (Fabrication) - DOFFed
    Flamethrower Turret (Fabrication) - DOFFed
    Shield or Medical Generator (Fabrication) - DOFFed
    That's 4 Fabrication and one Mechanic Module. The Mechanic Module can count as "Engineering"
    Cover Shield (ENG Captain) - DOFFed
    Orbital Strike (ENG Captain) with trait to allow the strike to track targets. Works amazingly in Bug Hunt, esp. on the Spawnmother.

Weapons: You need 1 for close range work, 1 for a bit of distance, esp if you're going to turtle it up.
    - Pulsewaves, Dual Pistols are great for close ranged AOE work, esp Pulsewaves. They also have short secondary attack cooldowns. Esp. Dual Pistols.
    - Intermediate range weapons like Split Beam, High Density, Full Auto. For when you need to reach out. Their ranges are more than enough for Bug Hunt. Also, their secondary attacks don't slow you down/pin you in place for ages like Sniper Rifles do.
    - Sniper Rifles: IMO, the worst you can bring of the lot. Their ranges are excellent but not as necessary in the tighter confines of Bug Hunt. Also, the charge up animation for the sniper shot is too long and you're movement is terrible. Sucks to start a sniper shot aim when you're getting hammered by toxic blasts but you're too slow to move away. Leave your sniper rifles at home.
    - TR-116b? The NPCs are unshielded. All those Shield Pen x4 mods? Completely useless for Bug Hunt. Bring another weapon.
    - Melee Weapons can work real well if you know how to do your special attacks.
    - Special Mention: Jem'Hadar/Dominion Minigun from the Lobi Store. If you have it already, every attack is an AOE cone attack, even the normal fire. It's not super damaging but the fact that even normal attacks impact many targets at longer rages than Pulsewaves gives this weapon a nice home in Bug Hunt.

Spawnmother: You need to be constantly moving. Abilities that pin you in place or have very long chargeups like Sniper Shots? Just pull your pants down and bend yourself over a table to get *****. Those Ravagers above will Ravage your TRIBBLE QUICK. Movements must be fluid; Stay still and you die from the Ravagers. That's why quick secondary attacks with minimal chargeups are great. Engineers rock by rushing into the Spawnmother, laying mines, move, firing secondary shots, etc. Melee TAC Captains can do the same but tend to stick around longer to spam their Sweeping Strikes and stuff, but need to pull away or risk getting hammered by NPCs and Ravager barrages.

And I repeat the best thing you can do in summary:
    - Stay together. You're easy to get overwhelmed alone, and you'll be out of range of any PBAOE defensive auras that your teammates may be using.
    - On the Spawnmother: Movement is life.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    spacekorgathspacekorgath Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Am I correct in assuming that the romulan T5 plasma flamethrower should be awesome here?
  • Options
    caelrasstocaelrassto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought I was dropping like a rock, until I checked what kept killing me. It's that toxic damage. I switched to the Counter Command armor, and the kit you can buy with Counter Command rep that gives more toxic resist. I feel a lot more durable now. I definitely think the CC Armor is a better option than an EV suit.
  • Options
    desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Switching to the Counter Command armor made a HUGE difference. Am I correct in that the CC armor is the only armor (outside of EV suits) that has a [tox] resist?

I am running the CC exoarmor and the CC sci kit frame -- with exothermic induction, hyperonic radiation, sonic pulse, nanite health monitor and biofilter sweep. I switched to a phaser pulsewave as well.
  • Options
    spacekorgathspacekorgath Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    desertjets wrote: »
    Switching to the Counter Command armor made a HUGE difference. Am I correct in that the CC armor is the only armor (outside of EV suits) that has a [tox] resist?

The Undine Battle Armour from the Lobi store has a ton of Toxic resist as well
  • Options
    rragadonrragadon Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The nanite generator from the undine rep also helps a lot if you're an engy... Increased the durability of all my fabrications too.
  • Options
    arilouskiffarilouskiff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Anyone has any idea what causes the Spawnmother to heal?
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Anyone has any idea what causes the Spawnmother to heal?

Sometimes you'll see a bunch of Delvers bunch up near the Spawnmother and some stream go from them to her. They're healing her if you see that. It's why AOE attacks are key in Bug Hunt or you're able to have the group quickly kill the boss.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thank you for this thread. I have yet to step into this queue and now I feel better prepared with knowledge ... and knowing is half the battle.
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Engineer wise. I'd use kit wise.

Biotech Turret
    Romulan Flamehtrower Turret
    Transphasic Bomb
    Fleet Spire chronitron Mines
    Immunity Mines ( Or something else you might like. )

Weapons. something aoe-ish. Pulsewave works. Or you can lulz with romulan plasma flamethrower. tr116b rifle secondary. Orbital devastation is fun too.

Sci, I'd just make your kit full on heals, and run a puslewave and tr116b rifle. Heals are amazing and can make runs go so much easier, for you and everyone else.

Priortize killing Pestilants. The flying things. Those are what do a number on your team. You can heal tank pretty much anything as a sci, or just stand in the middle of your minefield to deal with the small crawlers while sniping the flying bugs with tr116b rifle.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm tac and I use the adapted maco set... pulsewave and a sniper rifle with full ground traits... and 5 heals. It keeps me alive. the maco set gives me some resistance but it isn't the best. the shotgun is bloody awesome here and I bring in my redshirts and mirrors... i use the sniper rifle on the flying creatures and i use every single debuff and buffer i got... it's really nasty and if I got a team with a med gen and force dome, we're unkillable.

the trick really, is to know what abilities you have and use them properly.
  • Options
    kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There is a Nukara set with large toxic resists and a mobile forcefield dome that works wonders in Bug Hunt. I use that as opposed to the Undine rep set and generally carry the teams im in.

Use AOE weapons like Split Beams, Pulsewaves, the Shotgun, or my personal favorite weapon in the game... the Romulan Plasma Wide Beam rifle with EXPLOIT not Expose damage. Similar to the Compression rep rifles but without the crappy orbital strike secondary and a faster rate of fire.

Nothing like insta-killing 6 targets at once with Exploit damage! (Other ground enemies I actually vaporize 6 targets, but not bugs cause they don't vape).
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So I see some people obnoxiously boasting how 'easy' this mission is, but I'm having trouble with it, and unfortunately as the only source of Ancient Power Cells there's really no other option. So whats the trick to make it so no-effort?

I admit, ground isn't my thing and I'd avoid it if I could, but if its as easy as people say, then it should just be a couple of tricks to turn it into the cakewalk, so what am I missing?

Edit:
    D'oh, wrong subforum.

A team that knows what they are doing makes a huge difference. BHE is an effort (to either kill the purple bugs or stay alive sometimes) and a time commitment, but it is one of the easier mission to just jump into and do relatively well with total strangers; once everyone is familiar with the mission.

When running the DR Rep. I wore the MACO Mark 12 set. I mainly used the Battle Rifle, and rarely used the AMACO pulsewave. I used a Spire kit, I believe, and loaded it up with heal mods. A serendipitous discovery led to me keeping Biofilter Sweep in the kit. I also slotted the free Undine ground trait (Fluidic Antigens?), but then I slot it whenever I run ground. I carried hypos, the Cane, and combat Horta with me also.

I tried running with the DR rep suit and weapon. The shield resist is nice but I died more often than running with the MACO set. I was not happy with the damage or special power of the compression gun. Too much time passed between the activation of the weapon and the firing of the weapon.

When craft grinding for salvaged tech, first round, I ran with the Nukara Rep. suit. I used the rep. Cryo gun and really fell in love with it. The secondary AOE attack is decent when enemies are clumped together. I used a Romulan Spire Kit and my regular mods; Tach. Harmonic, 2 heals, Endothermic (I'm very satisfied with this module), and Sonic Pulse. If you are concerned with cost perhaps you can use the free Undine Kit you receive from one of the special missions.

An Endothermic attack then secondary AOE firing mode of the Cryo gun can be effective. Especially when creatures are held in ice. Add Sonic Pulse into the mix and you can rock and roll a bit. Sonic Pulse and the Rep suit pushback ability can be nice for pushing all sorts of things, like bugs, away from you.

DOFFs: I use the two Risan Geologist Endo/Exo Doffs that add a % chance to hold targets for 4 secs. I also use a Neural Neutralizer doff to bump up the % to confuse to 50%. The last two remaining doffs are Doctor doffs that add max hit-points when certain heals are used.

Random thoughts and tactics:
    • Sometimes attacking the large bugs causes then to pull back defensively, watch when and how this happens.
    • Use the X button, it can be your extra damage friend.
    • Focus fire on the larger bugs, as they regenerate.
    • Be prepared to be the person who hunts down and kills the purple bugs. AOE attacks, sniper shots and DoT can help with this.
    • The mechanics of the game make it hard to target the purple bug and sometimes to keep it targeted.
    • You can use Endo on flying creatures.
    • I tried using the shotty (Cochran Shotgun) but did not like it. I found that you have to be at point blank range for it to work and damage optimally. And then the shotty sometimes pushes targets back, cutting the damage you do to them because of the distance.
    • For the Spawnmother; I've hit X then walked around her firing off abilities and shots. Sometimes I'll try to go for the 4 point optional myself. I generally end up joining in on the kill with 1:20 or 1:30 to go in that case. Early optional runs, when I first hit 60, failed when the teams ran out the clock to kill the Spawnmother. I think I remember a person mentioning that only one extra point was awarded for each optional point gained-just overheard and speculation at this point.

If you need access to Spire or Embassy stuff let me know.
    Joined STO in September 2010.