test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is everyone doing with the Winter Grind Wonderland?

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    right now my main focus is on sor grinding before the 9th and all hell breaks loose on swtor then i can focus on sto ww grind, but ive already cleared 2 days of autographs to 640 on one of my toons for the carrier, so that leaves just over a week to complete it :P. then i need to focus on that cyro warp core and have it there for reclaim at a later time, thats something of real interest to me for sure.. the sing core? i got no interest in. apart from that if there happens to be some stuff laying around after or i get in the mood, only then work towards other bits. plan to get ethic bok who has the 640 further into it and my overgrown dancing gorn, slaassh, because he loves social events like these and his military career has completely stalled for well over a year.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Anything but Argala :eek:
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't view a 2 minute race as a grind. I wasn't around for last 2 years grinds. So I got 3 toons going after each ship. And only reason Im doing that is the race is so fast to complete. Figured why not. Even though it's useless in the end. Doubt Ill see myself running the Console set. And I don't have any desire for the other 2 Breen ships. Just want the Carrier on my Klink and Frigate pets, plus all options..."Just In Case".

The race adds 3 minutes to my normal doffing for those 3 toons...so. Don't see it as a grind. Not going after all the Clothes and accessories, Only getting the core on that One Klink "Just in Case"

It's a grind for a free T6 ship. Don't want the ship?..don't grind. Every MMO I've ever played had a grind. but, I can't remember a single one of them giving out Prizes like Cash Shop Value Ships for free.

I agree,.. thanks to the after reaching 1000 on one toon and then getting the same ship for 40 on another has been a BIG help. It doesn't feel so bad anymore. The rest like uniforms and such isn't that bad. I mean you don't have to get it and frankly its not so hard to get. Its good that you are more options between missions now. You can just go and do what you like.. and its not like its over after a week.
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So you say if you get 1000 on one character, get a ship, then the same ship becomes unlocked for the rest of the characters for only 40 Q-Pics ?
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    This is my 1st winter event.

Once I got the hang of the slippery race (which took over 12 tries), it is pretty quick. I have only completed it once so far on each of my 6 toons. If I do not become sick of doing it 6 times per day, then the plan is to have all 6 toons grind for the 1,000 autographs. What autographs I don't use this year will be saved for next year. If I do get sick of the grind, then I will probably just grind it for my two science toons since the Breen carrier is pretty much focused on science. I will have to review the other Breen ships to see if I want them for my other toons.

You should get all 3 as have one char work on the Carrier, another on the Plesh Brek, and another on the Chel Grett. Then your other chars can get all 3 (or the 2 they didn't get for 40 each) Also having the Plesh Brek will allow you to get Plesh Brek Frigate pets for your Carrier instead of the standard fighters.
  • gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    I am extremely angry. I was (as a new player this year) mentally prepared to grind out the race and get all three ships for all of my alts.

However, after four hours of failing miserably, I have discovered that the race is apparently beyond my skill level. (Please don't respond to this by suggesting tactics: I've already tried half a dozen different things. I just can't seem to stay on the track AND have enough speed to get within sight of the finish line before the opponent does.)

Originally, the dev blog said you only had to 'participate' in the race to get the photos. So after discovering that there is no 'hey, at least you tried, we're going to give you the reward after a few failures' like there is with the slingshot-around-the-sun episode..... I complained in the bug forum that it was either a bug or false advertising. Cryptic agreed... and changed the blog after the fact. In effect, admitting that THEY LIED.

Since my entire plan for the event is now revealed to be based on a lie, and requires winning a challenge that appears to be beyond my skill level, I have no choice but to quit and go do something else. Unfortunately, the winter event impairs that everything else by pulling players away from the PVE queues, too...........

So, you're ******** because Cryptic didn't just sit there listening to your whining an immediately hand you 3,000 Q-photos so that you could immediately get all three ships.

Took me a few days to get the hang of the race last year, and I was a bit rusty this year, but I didn't call the developers liars, make a "false advertising" claim and expect to have enough photos for the ships just handed to me on a silver platter.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    However, after four hours of failing miserably, I have discovered that the race is apparently beyond my skill level. (Please don't respond to this by suggesting tactics: I've already tried half a dozen different things. I just can't seem to stay on the track AND have enough speed to get within sight of the finish line before the opponent does.)

look at it like this take small steps first, not big steps. imagine yourself overweight and out of shape, you cant just start running around the block like that, just standard walking a few miles at your own pace non stop is enough to take something off that bagage, eventually you want to start doing some basic warm up exercises as you take the weight off and start jogging. the ice race isnt much different; attend.

best thing to do is go over the layout of the course, if you know what the layout is like then that is one less thing to deal with, dont approach the turns with a very high speed, take some speed off before you come near the turns by simply not running or walking, that way you can manage how you make your turns, take your time but obviously not so much the npc catches and passes you.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So you say if you get 1000 on one character, get a ship, then the same ship becomes unlocked for the rest of the characters for only 40 Q-Pics ?

Yep, I had a new Alt purchase all 3 ships for 40 Q-Pics each this morning...

(Got the T6 Carrier early, as one of my Characters had 960 Q-Pics from last year, and only needed 1 day of Grind to finish... Now anotherr Alt had 640 Q-Pics at the start of the Winter Event, and I'll continue to Grind with him until I have enough for next years Winter Event Ship... This sort of reminds me of the fable of the Grasshopper and the Ant...)
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am doing just peachy.

I have attended all three Winter Events (this being the third) and have once flown the Chel Grett - though that was on an old [disused] account.

I presently have four characters, none with Breen ships. One of my characters (my Romulan) is still leveling up (at #39), and he's going to be splashing out on these Breen ships (cause ya'know, the current Republic Fleet lacks).

On my other three characters, I'm going to run the race and get a ship each, then I'll easily have enough glossy pictures to purchase all three of the ships for my Republic character by using only 120 glossy pictures from my stash. I might run the race a final time(x2) for my other characters and get them all the ships too - for the sake of it.

Likewise, I'll work on that warp (or singularity) core too. Might as well grab that whilst it's on show.

Costumes, Scarfs, Hats and fancy Winter Weaponry don't appeal to me (though I have purchased a Winter Gun to help me through the Event; snowballs just don't cut it).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rmxiii wrote: »
    You should get all 3 as have one char work on the Carrier, another on the Plesh Brek, and another on the Chel Grett. Then your other chars can get all 3 (or the 2 they didn't get for 40 each) Also having the Plesh Brek will allow you to get Plesh Brek Frigate pets for your Carrier instead of the standard fighters.

Okay if the Plesh Brek gives me Frigate pets, then I suppose I will get that on one of my toons.

I may create a KDF science toon since the Breen Carrier is heavy science oriented.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm only doing the race on one toon as i really can't currently be bothered playing any alts due to other aspects of the game turning sour.

However I have to admit that the race itself is not too bad and the rest of the events in the Winter Wonderland are pretty fun.
    Tides of Ice is one of most fun things I've done in-game for several months I'd say. There is a real sense of people getting into the team spirit with it, at least within my fleet anyway. Everyone in the zone goes there on the hour and has a blast wiping out waves of snowborg.

I'll admit the grind before you buy aspect is a bit pants if you have multiple toons, but nobody is forcing anyone to grind it out of 10+ toons, that's your choice.

The addition of some winter doffs to earn like those summer ones would be nice I think.
    SulMatuul.png
    edited December 2014
    However, after four hours of failing miserably, I have discovered that the race is apparently beyond my skill level.

Originally, the dev blog said you only had to 'participate' in the race to get the photos. So after discovering that there is no 'hey, at least you tried, we're going to give you the reward after a few failures' like there is with the slingshot-around-the-sun episode..... I complained in the bug forum that it was either a bug or false advertising. Cryptic agreed... and changed the blog after the fact. In effect, admitting that THEY LIED.

Since my entire plan for the event is now revealed to be based on a lie, and requires winning a challenge that appears to be beyond my skill level, I have no choice but to quit and go do something else. Unfortunately, the winter event impairs that everything else by pulling players away from the PVE queues, too...........
    The lie aside, there are technical problems that go beyond skill.

The race currently has a few major cheats/problems:
    - Snowmen suddenly appear and attack me. Of course, being attacked and knocked down terminates the race.
    - Sometimes I signal the race coord dude, there's the 3-2-1-start, but I do not get teleported at start and it auto-fails.
    - In some areas, the race fails due to 'leaving the track' even if I barely touched a border.
    - Pets cheat. 1# They somehow warp right near the end of the track and bypass me exactly at the end even if they were far behind during the race. #2 The seem to have Jedi powers (did the met Obi-1 on the ice fields ?). Sometimes when I'm near them, no matter if behind or ahead, they use Force: Pull / Push and that pushes me back (laggish mode).
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My problem is that no matter WHAT tactics I use or how careful I am/am not, the NPC passes me midrace and gets to the finish line before I am even within sight of the line. If I try to go any faster than that, I end up getting off course DQ's.

If I was even within sight of the finish line, I'd think that maybe I could improve enough with practice to be able to win. As it is... I have no clue how so many other people seem to think it's laughably easy.

Have you tried using the mouse to walk and steer? This is the one single thing that I changed and suddenly I was able to win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's virtually impossible to fail this.

Use your mouse.

Sprint.

When it comes time to turn hit W W and roll

Turn to face the right direct and Sprint again.

Repeat as needed. Lap the guy ahead of you.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Best tactic I've found is practice the track - it's open in the map 24.7 so you can go on it any time you want to practice the route.

Then once you know the route plan the "path of least resistance" and by that i mean look at each bend or corner and work out the shortest and most direct route through each. Essentially aim to do the race in straight line sections - reach corner, stop (jump or roll), line up for next straight, run. This allow me to go for nearly the whole race at sprint speed with only the realigning at corners slowing me briefly.

Don't try to corner at speed unless it's a very gentle curve like an S-curve, you'll fly right off the track.

Frosted boots give you nice speed boosts as well.
    SulMatuul.png
    edited December 2014
    My tactic:
    Rabbit-jump at turns.
    Walk the mid and short paths, no running there.
    Sprint at the 2 longest track pieces.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    WTF, people. Seriously. You're PLAYING A GAME, here. The events are fun, if you like them enjoy them if you don't then skip them. This "ugh grind!" nonsense is really pathetic, they're giving you free **** for playing the freaking content, and you're complaining? Why the hell are you even here if not to play the content? What do you want, to log in to a spreadsheet, click a button and have a slot fill in with an item? The point of playing the game is to play the game, collecting the bonus trinkets is an extra reward. It's not the point.
    Well, some people suggest that EVE is a good alternative to Star Trek Online.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't mind the Race for the Breen Carrier

but grinding for the new Warpcore and its requirements for playing certain content a number of times is bull

I just said that very thing in another thread, not in those exact words but certainly in sentiment.

other then that im loving the winter zone, get my T6 ship tomorrow on all my toons and already have the warp cores so im set.
    anything I do there now is just for fun and I intend to do a lot.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    <...snip...>
    The developers DID lie. The blog said that only participation was required. They then changed it after the fact; effectively admitting that I was correct and covering it up at the same time, rather than living up to what they originally promised.

<...snip...>

All I want is some sort of mechanic which allows those of us who have found the race unwinnable to do the grind anyway. Which would be in keeping with what the original dev blog said. Participation.
    That's all.

You seem to have confused "someone chose a poor phrase in the description" with "a contractual obligation". You also seem to have confused "you pointed out a poorly chosen phrase, we fixed it, thanks" with some sort of lying coverup conspiracy.

Perhaps if you worked more on racing technique - which in general doesn't seem to be a barrier to 99.5% of players - and less on your hyperbole, you would be able to achieve your goals.