Options

Dilithium Dilithium Dilithium!

2»

Comments

• Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    proteus22 wrote: »
    yes the grind for dilitium is ridiculous i have 2000 kwft to fininish up my delta rep torpedo project so i tried going to my my fleet dilthium mines last night to grind for it and very quickly got bored to tears. what happened to doing stfs for dilitium like they used to most of it i have found lately is by making sure i got most of my doffs doing missions i have tried joinging the queues that reward dilitium but none ever start borg disconcted just gives marks maybe if they added 250 dilithium on regular and 500 dilitium on completion of all tasks .and maybe 500 more for top score in it. my fleet has a bunch of projects that all they need to completed are dilitium. i have done alot of upgradig on my hec lately but all of the gear i got from exchange if i had to upp grade for it it would probably be completed when sto hist season 15 or 20. by the way wide arc dual heavies ar very worth the cost

Ummmm, Borg Disconnected awards dilithium, almost all the queues do.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here's my big issue Bob: I don't like doing the same things day after day.

Some days I want to try and RP, others I want to replay some of the better Featured Episodes. Some days I want to just cruise around reading system descriptions and Doffing in different Sector Blocks..

But that basically means that if I'm having fun, I'm doing myself the disservice in the long run when I decide to play Queued Missions or PvP when I'm geared in White Mk IX gear because I didn't play like they want me to doing the daily repeatables for Dilithium.

F2P or LTS, everybody who chooses to spend their time in this game should be allowed to play the game in whatever way is most fun for them, not be railroaded into playing any specific way, much less into playing specific missions again and again and again against their will, which is exactly what Dilithium does.

as do I but I don't worry if I don't get much dilithium I just do what I want to do, I just know that if I want a certain thing and I will need a certain amount of dil to get it then I can have a day where I play for dilithium and I can have a day where I play for fun and get a little less dilithium but I know I wont get what I want till I have enough dilithium to get it but it doesn't matter because nothing in this game is worth missing out on fun and eventually I will get what I want but I will do it in my own time.
    besides all of the time I am getting dilithium im having fun anyway as there are so many different ways to earn it.
    that's why when the winter event goes live I will take a whole month off my normal play because I find the event more fun even though I know I will earn hardly any dilithium for the whole month but the fun is more important to me.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree with this 100%

except i dont call them whales i call them "Sheeple" they love to be herded and will graze on anything their herders give them....basically what you said :)

I love the word Sheeple. As long as the Sheeple keep paying the game will suck more.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    like uk pounds or usa dollars dilithium is a currency and like with real money where the more you work the more you earn with dilithium the more you play the more you get.
    also like real money you cant buy everything you would like to buy, you need to pick and choose the items and upgrades that you want the most and get them even if like with real money you might have to save up for what you want.

in fact dilithium is so close to being like real money you can actually buy in game items that you would normally need to pay real money to buy like I did for example with the DR ship pack.

and to make it fair they have even made it so you can only refine 8k of dilithium a day so everyone if they play the game right can earn the maximum amount in the shortest possible time.
    so really no player should be all that much more wealthy in game unless they are prepared to pay real money to be so.

I think this is all around the best system to do things when I pay dilithium to upgrade my shields it gives my a good feeling that I have actually achieved something.
    similarly if I use my dilithium to craft something I also get the same feeling of achievement and if I donate a percentage of my dilithium to the fleet I get that feeling also.

I also get a massive feeling of pleasure when I use the items I have used dilithium to attain and when I see the changes in fleet holdings I get the same feelings of pleasure knowing I have contributed in some way to these changes.

if I could get every item in the game without this I would not enjoy the game as half as much as I do now, I would be loosing any feelings of achievement and pleasure every time I spend dilithium and use or benefit from what I have used it for.

In other words,you are a TRIBBLE....and you enjoy the painful experience STO currently has to offer.Good for you,but I'm not a TRIBBLE,and I'm not enjoying the pain of STO.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Voyager. When they find that intelligent weapon of mass destruction. The trader neelix contacted talked about prices of stull if dil crystals.

I admit that one missed me because I'm not a Voyager fan. But even them, wouldn't hat be considered more of a bartering device than an actual formal currency? Archer and Tucker did something similar with Earth spices, but those spices aren't a currency. I dunno.

I've seen all of VOY once or twice, but most of it didn't stick with me and I really don't like it enough to rewatch the episode. I'll just take your word there.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I started playing shortly after the Free To Play launch. I thought it was great that whales subsidized my fun. Even bought a lifetime sub making me a wanna be whale.

With the launch of DR there is no more free ride. They have made this into an insufferable grind fest with no work around. They should at least let their whales buy their way out, then at least someone could play.

I would much rather go back to a subscription model than what this has become. I have never seen this level of greed from a company other than a Central Bank and the California Revenue Department, and the sad part is I bet they are losing money because the greed has turned off most of their players.
  • Options
    vaithhvaithh Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The cost of 17,500 Dilithium to upgrade a simple ground weapon from MK XII to XIII is a good indication of how much work the PWE / Cryptic want us to put into our gameplay. With a Subscribed / lifetime cap of 8K dilithium per day, it will take 3 days worth of grinding to refine enough dilithium just to upgrade a simple green Lirpa into something with a tiny bit more punch.

That is one of the many items in game that I feel have Hyper Exotic
    costs associated with them.

I also fully agree with the disappointment with the Crafting system requiring such a scarce and locked down resource. While it is true that I am leveling up my crafting within STO, I doubt that I will actually do anything with it. Gone is the community feel of crafting for a fleet, and helping other users. I simply can't make / refine enough diliithium to support it, and I refuse to Purchase / convert real money, into a game currency.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vaithh wrote: »
    The cost of 17,500 Dilithium to upgrade a simple ground weapon from MK XII to XIII is a good indication of how much work the PWE / Cryptic want us to put into our gameplay. With a Subscribed / lifetime cap of 8K dilithium per day, it will take 3 days worth of grinding to refine enough dilithium just to upgrade a simple green Lirpa into something with a tiny bit more punch.
    Costs are entirely dependent on many different factors, such as what type of Upgrade Kits you use and whether you can wait for the Upgrade to finish or you must have it now. Example:

A weapon costs 64,000 TP to Upgrade to Mk XIII.

Using Basic Kits it would require 32 of them at a cost of 700 Dilithium each: 22,400 Dilithium.
    Using Advanced it would require 13 of them at a cost of 950 Dilithium each: 12,350 Dilithium
    Using Superior it would require 5 of them at a cost of 1,075 Dilithium each: 5,375 Dilithium

So depending on your Upgrade Kit you can quarter the amount of Dilithium needed.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    vaithhvaithh Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Costs are entirely dependent on many different factors, such as what type of Upgrade Kits you use and whether you can wait for the Upgrade to finish or you must have it now. Example:

A weapon costs 64,000 TP to Upgrade to Mk XIII.

Using Basic Kits it would require 32 of them at a cost of 700 Dilithium each: 22,400 Dilithium.
    Using Advanced it would require 13 of them at a cost of 950 Dilithium each: 12,350 Dilithium
    Using Superior it would require 5 of them at a cost of 1,075 Dilithium each: 5,375 Dilithium

So depending on your Upgrade Kit you can quarter the amount of Dilithium needed.

Great points and breakdown. I am aware of the lower cost options, however to gain Advanced and Superior tech upgrades, there are other costs / components involved that also take time to acquire.

Either way, You are either Grinding for Dilithium, or for the Components needed to get the higher quality tech upgrades which reduce your Dilthium cost. I would imagine it would still take a minimum of two or days worth of work when starting from Zero, no matter what route you take to create your item.

I guess the point I am making applies to the average player who would be a bit more lazy about acquiring upgrade kits, and go the easy route. All that said, I don't think it would be too much fun if everyone could get maximum gear within a couple of days, however, I think the Dilithium / Time costs are a bit high for what used to be a more casual MMO
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Drops I've seen are Mark 13 so to upgrade to Mark 14 even with both boosters still have to take a good chunk of your refined DIL which seems to be taking a much longer time to come by these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    With the launch of DR there is no more free ride. They have made this into an insufferable grind fest with no work around. They should at least let their whales buy their way out, then at least someone could play..

Question: what free ride was there to top tier equipment after the F2P transition? Then I had to grind specific STF's for specific tech drops. Now I can pretty much do whatever and earn my way through the reputation system. Upgrades? At my discression and BTW they're much easier to come by than max-level equipment in the old days which one either had to pay exorbitent prices on the exchange for or hope against hope that SB24 would offer up something useful.

Grind then, grind now only with more choice for how I go about doing that and (as a bonus) some guarantee that my time is actually going to result in what I want (not the case for random loot drops, see. independent probabilities).

I'd say its a step up, functionally, but of course while the game hasn't changed its principles in all these years tolerance to grinding among certain individuals (myself included) may have certainly shifted.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!