test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where's the satisfaction gone in STO?

naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
I think Cryptic lost the meaning of fun for everyone a long time ago. How can repeating the same mission over and over and over again be fun? There is no sense of accomplishment any more.

Remember the original STF's? Now they were awesome. Granted the graphics were dated but fun none the less. After 4 hours of trying the first time round and finally getting the Borg piece at the end, you felt satisfaction. Satisfaction in knowing you tried hard AS A TEAM to complete the STF.

Now, repetitive, mundane, space bar smash is the new fun? When did that happen?

I've been here since beta and it really pains me to say this, but the power race coupled with a bazillion reps and all the other starbase associated BS put together has pretty much killed it. The difference between a kitted out player with all the bells and whistles vs. a fresh new player with standard gear is like the difference between a level 1 vs level 50 player. How did that balance go wrong so fast? How can gear make that much of a difference?

The PvE queues have become almost as bad as PvP queues. I might as well go shopping and come back whilst i wait for the pop or the game times out.

Rant over. What are your thoughts & feelings guys?
Post edited by naz4 on

Comments

• Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Working as Intended
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it happened when you did the spacebar keybind? Don;t do that if you want to play the game. It really takes away from flying and playing to bind it all to one key.

apart from that issue, its a two edged sword. The game must grow, evolve, and change or it will die when ppl grow bored. Adding more stuff at 50 was starting to be a problem -- level cap increase was necessary IMHO. Power creep is also necessary, if its not an upgrade, why earn/buy/bother with it? People want upgrades.

There are a LOT of issues with how the expansion does things. I could list problems all day. But the concepts of power creep and level cap increase are both eventually necessary things in a MMO.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    naz4 wrote: »
    I think Cryptic lost the meaning of fun for everyone a long time ago. How can repeating the same mission over and over and over again be fun? There is no sense of accomplishment any more.

You have just encountered the main problem with most MMOs. Devs can't create enough new and interesting missions to satisfy players so they have to create repeatable missions and have players grind for some reward. Cryptic has done something right with the Foundry to deal with this problem, but it is underutilized.
  • Options
    naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    You have just encountered the main problem with most MMOs. Devs can't create enough new and interesting missions to satisfy players so they have to create repeatable missions and have players grind for some reward. Cryptic has done something right with the Foundry to deal with this problem, but it is underutilized.

If the mission was long like the old ones with rewards adjusted accordingly, there would be less repeating. Instead, you do an STF in the blink of an eye which just compounds the problem.
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have just encountered the main problem with most MMOs.

No, that is the problem with MMOs that does not have PVP.. like STO and only a few others, beacose in most succesfull MMOs, PVP is a fundamental aspect of the game.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, that is the problem with MMOs that does not have PVP.. like STO and only a few others, beacose in most succesfull MMOs, PVP is a fundamental aspect of the game.

...as it had been by design in sto from the start, some may just forgot about :mad:... and for the satisfaction-part: disabled in the cloud lol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    My satisfaction is tied to the people I played with, the social aspect, and the things we did together.

DR pretty much killed that for too many reasons to list here. My footer says it all...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    Adding more stuff at 50 was starting to be a problem -- level cap increase was necessary IMHO. Power creep is also necessary, if its not an upgrade, why earn/buy/bother with it? People want upgrades.

There are a LOT of issues with how the expansion does things. I could list problems all day. But the concepts of power creep and level cap increase are both eventually necessary things in a MMO.

Not true. There are lots of ways to expand content horizontally without powercreep. Just an example here, but what if there were ships and clothes and so forth that was only available to ~Vulcans, so if you want to experience that content then you have to create a ~Vulcan toon (or a Nausicaan toon, or a Cardassian toon, and so on). There are lots of ways to expand the game horizontally that do not involve committing extortion on the player base. Dont wave it off so easily.
    You have just encountered the main problem with most MMOs. Devs can't create enough new and interesting missions to satisfy players so they have to create repeatable missions and have players grind for some reward.

False. Sandbox maps would go a long way. All we have for that are some low-level encounter zones (eg, level 12 Klingons flying around in sector space). PVP is another. Cryptic only does heavily scripted encounters, nothing else.

The current state is not inevitable by any means, but it is the product of their willful design choices
  • Options
    rasilekrasilek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To boldly go where we've already been before.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The game is holding my attention for the time being. But the slow levelling is only delaying the inevitable, once I've finished playing all the content I'll likely take another break.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No one is forcing you to "play the same thing over and over again", that's all on you. No one is forcing you to zoom through the Rep tiers, Specialization trees, or upgrades. You don't have to join a fleet or fill projects. These choices are yours. You make your own fun in this game, and Cryptic has built a pretty expansive playground to do it in. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it as bad as the whiners say it is? Not even close.

I run Marauding missions on my KDF characters to provide Contraband for the Starfleet ones, and in a few minutes a day I hit Dilithium cap on 5 characters. In between I run queues or Foundry or story missions when the mood strikes me, and buy gear and duty officers now and then. I spend a lot of time in social zones chatting and making friends and recruiting for my fleet. When we get enough members I plan to start running social events for us as a group which will be a lot of fun. As to reps, I run projects as I have marks to do it with (one character is max on all but Delta, the others at various points) and they'll finish when they finish. Same with the crafting trees, I run the skill projects when I can and they'll finish when they finish. I'm not in a bloody hurry and I don't feel pressure to rush through anything. I play the game, have fun, and let the bars fill as they fill. I haven't upgraded any gear yet, but I'll get around to it sooner or later. For now I'm handling content just fine with purple Mk12s. My main is of course a lot more powerful than the others, but they'll get there. I also have enough alts to grind a decent amount of Dil with minimum effort and run events like Winter Wonderland, Risa, and Mirror Invasion to get a pretty decent payout without overloading myself with time commitments.

The point of all that is I play the game at a pace that is comfortable and enjoyable and I don't stress on the completion bars. If I have more energy to spend I might run a bit more stuff and earn a bit more, if I just want to relax and chill in chat with my avatar dancing in the club under the neon lights I can do that too. I can fight Borg, or Romulans, or Klingons, or Undine, or Voth, or Kazon or Vaadwuar whenever the mood strikes me and I can swap around between them to avoid getting burned out. There's enough variety in the game that if you're running the same thing over and over again then it's on you because you've put pressure on yourself to finish everything -right now!- when the timegates mean that's not even possible. Those timegates are your friend, they mean you only have to do a little bit to roll over the timer and then do whatever you want.

If you're not enjoying yourself, try to relax your playstyle and remember this is a game and not an occupation. You don't have a deadline. Play what you enjoy, not what will fill bars the fastest. Let the completions come to you.

Best of luck to you and hope to see you in game.

By the same token...nobody is forcing you to GET a job...heck you could be a homeless if you like that kinda stuff...Im Ok with grinding...Im not OK with EXTREME grinding till your eyes bleed to an unending orgy of grind. Somewhere in the middle is sanity. Post DR this game has gone to an extreme...they keep pushing the wrong clicks and expanding the grind fest to where no human has gone before.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    STO has turned into an abandoned theme park, full of ruined rides that are poorly maintained and no longer really do much but shudder a bit and give a hint of their former glory. And sitting in the middle of this graveyard of broken, unloved rides, sits a shiny, bright new Merry-Go-Round called "Delta Rising". The keepers of this single-ride park will let you on, but if you want something else, they'll sneer that there are plenty of other rides in the park for you to try...
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think Cryptic lost the meaning of fun for everyone a long time ago. ....

Another speaking for "everyone" thread.

I find plenty of fun in the game. If I didn't it would be weird for me to stick around and keep playing it.
  • Options
    mdwgardiner1701mdwgardiner1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Now, repetitive, mundane, space bar smash is the new fun? When did that happen?

It's been heading that way for a long time now. The PvE content is terrible. DPS is king and trumps all, which I personally find incredibly dull.

The issues with balance have just gotten worse every time they add some new rep, gear or grind on top of the basically flawed mechanics of the game.

- No immersion, it's LB ships/Romulans online
    - Too many "must have" powers, no ship build or diversity in tactics/roles
    - Stupid AI with inflated health numbers (I think only the Valdore NPCs use APA)
    - Simple features don't work consistently or are buggy, see ship tray and loadouts
    - A neglected faction. KDF have no viable high-end science ships (PvP related)
    - Levelling, crafting and now "story content" revolves around excessive repetition
    - Neglected PvP, entry level too high for most
    - Space meta in PvE = DPS only
    - Space meta in PvP = SNB/Vape/Intel
    - No exploration in a Trek game - FFS Cryptic

I have nothing wrong with the people that really get off with DPS. All power to them, if that's what they enjoy. They are working within the meta that Cryptic has created. Though I know a lot of people find that kind of play not to their liking.

Rant over. I don't play STO anymore and can't think of anything that would entice me back.
    Inner Circle / Special Circumstances
    Gardiner, Suval, Thran
    Korvak, Raketh, Xedar, Zidow
    Decis, Vesok
  • Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    satisfaction
    now available in Z Store in a bundle with Fun and Enjoyment!
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Please will someone start a thread JUST for all the "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it" Sigs?
    I'm seeing allot of them and id love to be able to screenshot a page or two of them in sequence as some are quite humerous and it would make a compelling visual image. :D
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Everyone who whines about "extreme grinding" has no damned idea what the hell they're talking about. I played a gamed called Last Chaos once, the entire thing was nothing BUT a grind. All you did in that game was wander endless fields, click on enemies to attack, wait until they run out of HP, repeat. Collect XP and items, turn them in for more XP, grind levels, unlock new bland fields with different looking bags of HP to click on. That was the entire game.

I think people who whine about grind in this game need to be sentenced to THAT yawn-fest until they learn what grinding is.

That's saying it's better to be stabbed than shot...
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That's saying it's better to be stabbed than shot...
    *banishes the shark to the cow hell*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Not everyone PvPs and there are few MMOs where PvP is a fundamental aspect of the game. Most successful MMOs have PvP as an optional feature like Crafting, Raids, etc not mandatory.
    False. Sandbox maps would go a long way. All we have for that are some low-level encounter zones (eg, level 12 Klingons flying around in sector space). PVP is another. Cryptic only does heavily scripted encounters, nothing else.

The current state is not inevitable by any means, but it is the product of their willful design choices

Sandbox maps have the same problem as all other content. Players get bored of it and go somewhere else. Killing a group of enemies that look different than another group of enemies or gathering resources that look different is still grind. MMO is Grind. Having unique challenges in the sandbox map like Wildstar helps.

The only thing that gives an escape from the grind is decent User Generated Content which STO should focus on making it more popular.
  • Options
    opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    3 words happened...

Perfect

World

Entertainment

This is your game.....:).....This is your game run by PWE.......:mad:..........Any questions???

Not necessarily...

I personally liked the liveliness of the PvP queues that occurred due to Legacy of Romulus.

I loved every bit of that PWE sponsered expansion, Subspace Integration Circuit and all. :P
  • Options
    opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    They everyone paid for that expansion and all that work by them instead of expanding the severely under developed KDF..........

And questions?

You didn't see that coming? The KDF has been underdeveloped since launch, this is nothing new.

DR didn't expand on anything at all. No more KDF content, no more FED content, no more Romulan content. Just a bunch of ships and a story arc that could be finished in a few hours were it not for the immense grinding timegate.

I mean at least they TRIED in LoR, even if they forgot about the KDF a little, as they always have.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Everyone who whines about "extreme grinding" has no damned idea what the hell they're talking about. I played a gamed called Last Chaos once, the entire thing was nothing BUT a grind. All you did in that game was wander endless fields, click on enemies to attack, wait until they run out of HP, repeat. Collect XP and items, turn them in for more XP, grind levels, unlock new bland fields with different looking bags of HP to click on. That was the entire game.

I think people who whine about grind in this game need to be sentenced to THAT yawn-fest until they learn what grinding is.

Well done you managed to test out one of the really grindy TRIBBLE games out there. Beware there are a lot of them. Just because you experienced something truly terrible doesn't excuse this game from becoming truly terrible. Never mix that up.

I've played some games that were so broken that it's not worth discussing them, others that were just terrible repetitive messes. I'd rather STO didn't keep happily rolling down the hill towards those two conclusions...

This game has quite literally gone downhill massively since the expansion dropped.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    it happened when you did the spacebar keybind? Don;t do that if you want to play the game. It really takes away from flying and playing to bind it all to one key.

A mess of copy-pasted short durations buffs does not interesting game play make.

If a mess of buttons was the bestest thing ever fighting games would have 128 buttons.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am trying to earn enough Satisfaction XP by playing STO to increase my Satisfaction Level in the game.
    Unfortunately, it seems the amount of Satisfaction XP needed to get to the next Satisfaction Level has increased and the amount of Satisfaction XP earned by playing STO has been nerfed.
  • Options
    gameleechgameleech Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Please will someone start a thread JUST for all the "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it" Sigs?
    I'm seeing allot of them and id love to be able to screenshot a page or two of them in sequence as some are quite humerous and it would make a compelling visual image. :D

I thought they were funny so I made one also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]