test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pixel Shader error

brazen1acebrazen1ace Member Posts: 159
edited November 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Is anyone still getting the pixel shader error. Here this is what it looks like: compile error code = E_NOTIMPL 0x80004001

pops up at the bottom of the screen on start up. This should have been fixed in a earlier patch. But apparently for me it was not fixed since I still get it. Tech support is just running me in circles. It would be nice to know if others are still seeing this or not.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• br00dmachinerbr00dmachiner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm getting this error message on start-up too. Running on OS X 10.10. Besides the error message I'm experiencing STO to crash after 10 minutes in gameplay sometimes 30 minutes but never more.

Tried reinstalling STO, play on lowest graphics etc... no positive results
  • penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yes, still having the issue here.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ya, it's still there. Seems to a directX call for a function not implemented correctly or not supported by your hardware.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • brazen1acebrazen1ace Member Posts: 159
    edited November 2014
    Yes I looked it up online. It appears to be related to DX9 trying to do something that is not implemented for it. So somewhere there is a command that is probably meant for DX11 that DX9 is trying to process and it is throwing up this error. There is a thread on the Neverwinter Nights forum about this same exact thing. In fact they had the same issue with the UI that I did and others. So they might be related. Changing from DX9 to DX11 in the game menu did seem to fix this issue for some people, but it did not do that for me. I found this info from here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?730921-pixel-shader-compilation-failure/page5

and the error code info from here. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378137(v=vs.85).aspx

Good to know I am not the only one. It would be nice to know what range of hardware this occurs on and of course please send in a bug report via the in game system.

I am running Windows 7 64bit with a Intel HD card. (yes, yes I know not for gaming, blah,blah, blah. STUF) My card does not fully support DX11 as far as I know. ( speaking of I have unverified, second hand info that DX11 is unstable and buggy)
  • jabbrwockjabbrwock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ditto on the glad-I'm-not-the-only-one. Tech support gave me some Windows fix suggestions when my support ticket clearly told them I'm on Mac, running through Steam. On top of that, the suggestions they gave me for the game launcher (which I followed dutifully) have caused it to stop launching. I'm guessing I'm going to have to download the game all over again and give up on Steam. Grr. Why do tech support people have such a hard time admitting they don't know how to fix a problem??

Maybe there's a problem because of Steam?
    edited November 2014
    Well I don't know what they asked you to do. I got asked to re-install the entire game, which was not that much of a big deal. I did do it, and like I thought it did nothing. But my guess is, based on the support tickets I have sent in that they have a script that they have to follow in regards to troubleshooting an issue. So they send you a set list of things to try. I was dutifully going through the process when they suggested I downgrade to an older version of Direct X. Then I snapped. Wrote then a strongly worded reply. Sent a message to their FB page along with a image showing the error code. Created this thread on the forums. And went looking for the meaning of the error code. Now they are being all nice and assuring me that they are aware of the bug and are working on it.

You could try looking on the Steam forums to see if there is a issue there. Or contact Steam Support and see if they have an idea. They probably will just direct you to talk to STO support. So you may just want to go ahead and re-install STO.

I went ahead and sent tech support the link to this thread. They assure me they have moderators constantly looking at the forums...Yeah...suuuuuurrrre. So at least they are aware of it...one hopes. But it might take them two to three months to fix this.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hate this bug as for game support I'm shocked you got answer all I get is to ask on here :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Well, I am probably the only person on STO that has managed to get a passive aggressive reply from tech support. It was over a older bug that was causing my graphics driver to crash repeatedly. I just kept badgering them about it, lols. And messaging their FB account probably had something to do with it. Kinda surprised they did not perma ban me.
  • prfg2012prfg2012 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've been getting this since yesterday. Gameplay now limited to a few seconds before the colours go crazy and/or crashes. Really annoying. Have deleted and reinstalled and player around with the graphics settings but its still screwed. Anyone got any suggestions??
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    prfg2012 wrote: »
    I've been getting this since yesterday. Gameplay now limited to a few seconds before the colours go crazy and/or crashes. Really annoying. Have deleted and reinstalled and player around with the graphics settings but its still screwed. Anyone got any suggestions??

I've got this problem I updated all drivers ran avast anti-virus, malawerebytes manually checked for windows updates I still have this problem but I can play for 45 mls to a hour now before it crashes my comp.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • ksobananaksobanana Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Shader compilation error happens on DX9 only. This seems to happen with this game only, since I have the feeling some of the DX10/11 functions are being translated into DX9 with the purpose of being computed and presented through hardware (Graphics Card) and not software (CPU). The only way to fix this is to choose anything else besides DX9 on the Game's rendering.

... Its a stupid programming mistake derived from having someone that doesn't know a foot from hand on graphical programming gettting his/her hands dirty in DX graphical programming (... I'm guessing its a blonde young girl with aspirations of developing the most graphical realistic game of all time... Past, Present and Future...)... There's also another game that actually does the same thing, but doesn't spit compilation errors since everything was made on DX9 right at the start, and not converted and/or translated like STO does. Its called "Skyrim" and look how it came out...

... Moving on, Steam sucks. Its a statistical collection program that gains money by collecting statistics of what type of game ppl plays the most and selling those collected statistics to game developing companies. That's why most games are so similar to each others, apart from game content. Not only that, it rigs all games that are beind sold and/or played through it to only be able to run through it and at the same time Steam is running, so to play that game you need 2xx your computer specs just to have your game running properly together with Steam. My advice is to get rid of it a.s.a.p since it also fills your computer with backdoors you don't need in order to make your computer be a distribution system for Steam Content, exactly like a Torrent program does... In the end, it'll also make your connection lag like TRIBBLE.

... moving on again, I don't have any graphical and/or sound issues but STO seems to crash like hell on ground maps. First time it happened, was in Starbase 39. Second time, Earth Space Dock. Third time (the latest crashing area), inside the temple in Kobali Prime... I don't know what's happening, but ground maps have become nearly impossible to run since I can only manage to be in such a map for 20 seconds at most. Every second beyond that, and the risk of crashing increases. Devs should see what is going on because not even the Cryptic crash reporter stays open long enough to report the problem.
    edited November 2014
    Sorry no fixes yet that I have heard about and no workaround. Even switching to DX11 does nothing.

Moving on...why you got to be all ". I'm guessing its a blonde young girl with aspirations of developing the most graphical realistic game of all time" It could have equally been a male. And statistically speaking probably was. Since Game Dev. like computer science is still dominated by men. What you say about Steam is a bit opinionated in my opinion. I don't use it, myself but yes it does just about everything you say...Just like ARK.