test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

All Tholian content bugged?

sthom1968sthom1968 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I don't know if this is a general problem, or just applies to me. PWE/Cryptic are pathetic at feeding back on bug/CTD reports. Here's what's happening:

I keep getting CTDs when doing content that involves Tholians. So far, it affects the following:

Nukara Prime:- beaming down results in a CTD. Logging back in puts you on the ground, but it can take 4 or 5 attempts to successfully beam back out, with a CTD and restart each time. You can't do anything on the ground except frantically stab at the beam out buttons before it CTDs; don't even think about trying to move around, that results in an instant CTD.

Tau Dewa sector block:- trying to engage Tholians in space, be it the incursion mission or just the random mob blobs gets you a CTD.

New Romulus:- reputation missions are a nightmare, the Paehhos caves and underground ruins constantly CTD. I managed to finish the Paehhos caves reputation mission after about 5/6 CTDs, always after encountering Tholians, the earlier parts of the mission were fine.

Storyline mission, "The Search for New Romulus":- unable to complete it, thanks to the Tholian content. I can engage them on the ground, but as soon as you return to space to engage their ships, lots of CTDs. So far there doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it CTDs, just that it will when there are Tholian ships present.

So, the situation seems to be taking on Tholians outside is ok, except on Nukara Prime (I've not run into any problems getting to the underground caves on New Romulus, with loads of Tholians wandering around outside). Any contact with Tholians in dungeon content leads to CTDs. Any contact with Tholians in space combat results in CTDs.

After every CTD the game does a file verification. I've also tried force verification. I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX750Ti. I've tried turning down the graphic quality. It's been reported to PWE/Cryptic, who replied "we’ve come to the conclusion that this may be the result of an unreported gameplay bug".

Not very helpful, and it has been reported, that's why I contacted them.

Is anyone else running into this issue and, if so, has anyone else found any sort of fix or even a temporary workaround?
Post edited by sthom1968 on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,554 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It might be time to uninstall and reinstall, or check your hardware: if you are overclocking the CPU or video card try setting them back to stock speed.

I did the two cave missions (missing researcher and environment suit) last week with my Federation tac captain and did not have any problems.

I've done the Tholian daily space invasion with Fed, Rom and Klingon captains many times in the last couple of weeks, no crashes to desktop.

The only time I've had CTDs is sometimes if I play a very long time, like 4+ hours, without exiting. It's probably a slow leak of memory or resources in the code.

My system is an i5-2500, GTX 680, 8 GB RAM, SSDs, Windows 7 64-bit. Speeds on CPU and GPU are stock.
  • Options
    sthom1968sthom1968 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No overclocking on CPU or GPU. Running Win 7-64 ultimate on a Phenom X4 955 system with 12GB and a hybrid HDD. Playing time doesn't seem to affect things, nor does system uptime. Might try the wipe and reinstall tomorrow if I have time. Failing that it's try and run it on my laptop, which I think will be a no-go as it's getting on a bit and trying to run STO will probably cause it to s**t itself and fall over...